Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: OKC Trails Network

Default OKC Trails Network

I couldn’t find a general catch all thread for the trail system in OKC.

This article says the trail loop will be completed in 2021. The most complex part which will pass under the new I-44/235 interchange and connect Nichols hills grand trail the one by the zoo should start in a year or so:

Halff Planning & Landscape Architecture Director Nate Clair said the company has been working on the Deep Fork Greenway connection for almost two years as the scope of the project grew from a ¾-mile trail segment to 4.5 miles. The project is being funded through a federally-backed grant program overseen by ODOT as well as the city’s Better Streets/Safer Cities temporary sales-tax initiative.

Clair said the Halff team is working to make sure the trail has amenities that make it family friendly, rather than just a way to get from one place to another. The existing Zach D. Taylor Park is along the new route and provides one of many access points for nearby neighborhoods.

With its proximity to Bishop McGuinness High School, Clair said Halff expects the trail to be used by the school’s cross country team.

The 12-foot-wide trail will follow the Deep Fork Creek & Interstate 44, taking users through tree-covered areas. The trail will take families, riders and other users through the Adventure District, so it will be an economically-friendly connection to many tourism destinations, he said.

The 4.5-mile connection will wind under the new Interstate 235-44 intersection, by the Lincoln Square apartments, under Lincoln Avenue then continue east to connect to the Katy Trail near the National Cowboy & Western Heritage Museum.

There are eight bridges along the route, being engineered and designed by the Halff team.

Clair said the project has allowed the team to be creative, especially as they’ve faced the many challenges that come with the terrain.

- https://www.velocityokc.com/blog/dev...leted-in-2021/

Default Re: OKC Trails Network

As a relatively new user of the trail system, these connections would be great. The last time I was on the South River Trail, it looks like they were getting the paths ready to go under I-35, which I assume based on this information is where the connection to the Katy Trail will be happening

Blog Entries

Unless some priority shifts happened, which is possible, the River trail/Katy connection wasn't supposed to happen until June next year. This year the greenway trail (connection between lake hefner and Katy trails) was supposed to start construction in June. This was as of the MAPS 4 meetings. Even though these weren't funded by MAPS 4 I asked a lot of questions at the time and got those answers, but again something may have changed.

Blog Entries

It what about fixing the bridge on north trail with half a collapsed landing, and the washout at Reno?

Quote Originally Posted by Mott View Post
    It what about fixing the bridge on north trail with half a collapsed landing, and the washout at Reno?
    The city is working on an engineering solution.

Blog Entries

Here is the city's response to me on Twitter back in March regarding the West Trail damage repairs (I asked why it's taking as long to fix it as it took to build it):

https://twitter.com/cityofokc/status...77845350383617

Short story, initial damage survey came back, and there wasn’t a big enough funding source from @okcparks to fix. So it was referred to @Maps3, which can use excess funds. MAPS office is now designing repairs via a contractor, but now that may be delayed bc of the pandemic.

7. Default Re: OKC Trails Network

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    Here is the city's response to me on Twitter back in March regarding the West Trail damage repairs (I asked why it's taking as long to fix it as it took to build it):
    Is this the trail they have closed between Crystal Lake and Overholser?

The one that everyone just goes around the fence where the gates are closed?

Blog Entries

Yes

9. Default Re: OKC Trails Network

I'm surprised they haven't used the "allocated" funds to put up a barrier at the end of that fence instead of using it to fix the trail.

I kind of like the little detour since I'm on a mountain bike... Gives me a few second of dirt to ride on...

Can people ride their horses on the trail? the equestion trail is real short and on the back side of the lake? Currently don't have horses but just wondering?

Pro bike provided an update on the trails fix for the washed out section on the west side.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...25534700808404

Blog Entries

thanks for the news

Any idea when they start connecting the trails system in south okc? I couldn't find anything at okc.gov.

While I'm glad they've made a decision and will get this segment of trail reopened, the new route will be less pleasant than the old route.

Some of this depends on if the segment of new trail along Melvin Youngs Blvd. will be dedicated right-of-way like the rest of the trail or if they'll just go with sharrows. On the one hand, as a MAPS 3 trail, dedicated right-of-way would be indicated, but the idea that it will be finished at the end of summer, given how slow the rest of the City's trail projects have been, fills me with a deep fear that they'll go with sharrows and say "good enough". Melvin Youngs Blvd. doesn't have extremely heavy traffic, but the traffic it does have is a lot of tractor-trailers.

Even going with dedicated right-of-way down Melvin Youngs Blvd. introduces challenges. If you go down the west side of the road, you have to traverse 4 curb cuts (including one about 250 ft long). If you go down the east side of the road, you're asking cyclists and pedestrians to cross Melvin Youngs two different times.

There's no great solution to the Oklahoma River eroding its banks in this area, because there's nowhere else to route the trail. This whole situation is a great example of the poor approach to zoning, planning, and development in our area. In another thread, someone asked about increasing the recreational uses of the North Canadian/Oklahoma River. Dealing with pollution in any major metropolitan area is a challenge, but ours is particularly acute. The river is lined with trucking firms, a landfill, construction yards, trailer parks, industrial storage, and at least one salvage yard, plus Interstate 40 within earshot. Even if you could clean up the river somehow, it's hard to imagine it being very pleasant to use.

Quote Originally Posted by oklip955 View Post
    Can people ride their horses on the trail? the equestion trail is real short and on the back side of the lake? Currently don't have horses but just wondering?
    According to this OKC website horse riding along paved trails is prohibited.

https://www.okc.gov/departments/park...questrian-park

Quote Originally Posted by riflesforwatie View Post
    ...The river is lined with trucking firms, a landfill, construction yards, trailer parks, industrial storage, and at least one salvage yard, plus Interstate 40 within earshot. ...
    Don't the stockyards also drain into it (or they used to)?

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Don't the stockyards also drain into it (or they used to)?
    You're right. There is a berm between the Stockyards and the East River Trail (south bank) between May and Agnew, which protects the Oklahoma River from immediate Stockyards runoff, but the Stockyards, like all of central Oklahoma City, is in the Oklahoma River watershed. There's a small inlet off the river's south bank just east of Agnew, which collects runoff from the eastern portion of the broader Stockyards area. Much of that region also drains into Twin Creek, which is channelized along the railroad just south of the Stockyards and then eventually meets up with Brock Creek and drains into the Oklahoma River. Of course, even beyond the drainage, any southerly wind or atmospheric inversion creates some "interesting" smells along that section of the river.

I feel a bit silly asking this but is the trail system just the standard city concrete sidewalks and on-street bike lanes? I was considering seeking out the trail system since my neighborhood is mostly one block cul-de-sacs. I guess i pictured something more scenic.

19. Default Re: OKC Trails Network

Quote Originally Posted by SouthSide View Post
    I feel a bit silly asking this but is the trail system just the standard city concrete sidewalks and on-street bike lanes? I was considering seeking out the trail system since my neighborhood is mostly one block cul-de-sacs. I guess i pictured something more scenic.
    Oh no! Get on the OKC govt web site and go to the page with the trails map. There’s miles and miles of trails that are specific for bikes\runners\walkers that almost never are part of a sidewalk or street. There are a few spots that it wasn’t feasible to completely separate the trails from streets but very few. The trails were\are a great effort between the city and user groups like the Oklahoma Bicycle Society. I put in many hours myself as a representative of the OBS in planning and design meetings so I’m very proud of the trail system. Hal McKnight, the owner or now maybe former owner of Wheeler Dealer Bicycles was also a driving force behind the trail system development.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Robertson View Post
    Oh no! Get on the OKC govt web site and go to the page with the trails map. There’s miles and miles of trails that are specific for bikes\runners\walkers that almost never are part of a sidewalk or street. There are a few spots that it wasn’t feasible to completely separate the trails from streets but very few. The trails were\are a great effort between the city and user groups like the Oklahoma Bicycle Society. I put in many hours myself as a representative of the OBS in planning and design meetings so I’m very proud of the trail system. Hal McKnight, the owner or now maybe former owner of Wheeler Dealer Bicycles was also a driving force behind the trail system development.
    I appreciate the reply! Unfortunately, it appears the closest trails to me (104 and May) are indeed city sidewalks and streets.

21. Default Re: OKC Trails Network

like bicycle freeways?

I liked how Denver has that along Cherry Creek (including dedicated entrance/exits).
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SouthSide View Post
    I appreciate the reply! Unfortunately, it appears the closest trails to me (104 and May) are indeed city sidewalks and streets.
    If plans I've seen from the BSSC committee stick, there may be closer trails going in (down May to 104th [actual trails though], then across to Draper), which would connect you to the rest of the system. Might be a couple years out, but you will be enjoying the trails soon!

Blog Entries

As a regular user of the trails, they are a great addition to the City! Been riding since I bought my first bike from Hal McKnight in 1972. But the maintenance of the trails is mediocre. Obviously, the wash out at Reno was unplanned for. But you have a bridge on the north trail between Penn and May with one concrete landing collapsed for over a year and a half. The south side has unfinished paving, even though old surfaces were gouged for the new pavement. And this fall there has been no herbicide for stickers along the river trails, even though the trees and rock embankments did get herbicide, and now have dead vegetation, but the sticker plants are growing like crazy. Wish things were better, as it’s great to have the trails.

Blog Entries

So... the parks department maintains the trails. But their budget is facing challenges (as most departments are) and the recent attempt to bolster it failed. I'm under the impression that there's an effort, via the community foundation, to start a maintenance foundation that can raise money and also not be hampered by some of the bidding restrictions city contractors are faced with. This is like third hand information, but I trust the source.

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    If plans I've seen from the BSSC committee stick, there may be closer trails going in (down May to 104th [actual trails though], then across to Draper), which would connect you to the rest of the system. Might be a couple years out, but you will be enjoying the trails soon!
    Thanks for the information. It will be interesting to see what they do along May as it is developed with one housing addition after another. Is there someway to see the proposed plan?

Thread Information