Widgets Magazine

Thread: Spirit-Jet Blue merger blocked

Default Spirit-Jet Blue merger blocked

Spirit-Jet Blue merger blocked in win for DOJ and competition

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/new...4f9d63a5&ei=39

Default Re: Merger Blocked

Not to stop the Kroger - Albertsons/Safeway merger.

Default Re: Merger Blocked

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    Not to stop the Kroger - Albertsons/Safeway merger.
    Then go back in time and convince Sam Walton not to create Walmart.

Default Re: Spirit-Jet Blue merger blocked

Think of what could have been if TG & Y closing hadn't paved the golden brick trail for Walton.

terrible court decision ..

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    terrible court decision ..
    Or great, depending on your outlook.

Personally, I didn't understand the combination from the start. They have entirely different business models so it made little sense...

Quote Originally Posted by LakeEffect View Post

Personally, I didn't understand the combination from the start. They have entirely different business models so it made little sense...
    Jet blue was trying to grow to take on their larger competitor's this ruling protects Delta American and United .... much more then average joe ..

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    Jet blue was trying to grow to take on their larger competitor's this ruling protects Delta American and United .... much more then average joe ..
    On the other hand, maybe this keeps a low cost carrier a low cost carrier like Spirit. If they are bought by Jet Blue and Jet Blue is trying to compete with the legacy carriers, you might lose one of the few budget airlines.

I really havent followed this much so dont really know. I know the FTC has picked some dumb anti-trust battles but this one on the surface doesnt appear bad for consumers. More consolidation is rarely good for consumers.

Quote Originally Posted by LakeEffect View Post

I guess I don't see how this is "great" in any way/shape/form. How would stopping Spirit from most likely staying afloat be good for consumers? Spirit folding will cost tens of thousands of people their job. In basic economics, doesn't less supply mean more demand? Which would increase the costs of air travel?

Quote Originally Posted by ditm4567 View Post
    I guess I don't see how this is "great" in any way/shape/form. How would stopping Spirit from most likely staying afloat be good for consumers? Spirit folding will cost tens of thousands of people their job. In basic economics, doesn't less supply mean more demand? Which would increase the costs of air travel?
    They are trying to restructure their debt but if they can't they will likely be forced to liquidate. Jetblue was only interested in their assets and now might be able to get them anyway for pennies on the dollar so the consumer loses either way. Frontier originally tried to merge with Spirit before Jetblue came in with a better offer so maybe that is a possibility as well. That's probably the only scenario here where the consumer wins.

Thread Information