Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: OKC Trails Network

Default Re: OKC Trails Network

Quote Originally Posted by riflesforwatie View Post
    I have a general question for the mountain bikers here about the OEF Draper trails. I used to use them quite frequently as a runner but I got the impression that the bikers weren't too happy about any "non-bikers" being there, so when the City opened the regular Draper trails I switched to those instead. Am I off-base or is it best for non-bikers to avoid the OEF trails?
    My understanding with some of the OEF trails, is that one of the requirements for them to have permission to build a trail is that the trail be open for pedestrian use. OEF spends a lot of time and money and then more time, building and maintaining mountain bike trails where they can engage in the sport they love. Having to share the trails with pedestrians is a necessary evil and I'm sure many are not too happy about it. If I were an mtb'er, I wouldn't be happy about pedestrians on trails, either.

As a pedestrian, I would leave the MTB trails to the mountain bikers. They did all of the paperwork and permits and physical labor to build it and then maintain it, so they deserve to be able to use it without having to slow down or even stop for pedestrians.

I don't know if this applies to Draper but it's something I read a few years ago on the OEF forum.

2. Default Re: OKC Trails Network

Quote Originally Posted by Mott View Post
    I thought the Buffalo was still there, it is the Elk that has passed? The trail has as much viewing of the Buffalo as always.
    Yep.... Mott is correct... The Bison is still back there..... As cool as it is to ride by and see it.... Growing up on a farm I feel keeping a herd animal penned up by itself is kind of cruel.

Blog Entries

I wish OKC was better at maintaining the trails. There is a collapsed bridge landing, west of Agnew, on north trail for 2+ years, and now on the newer west trail, a landing is starting to go on the bridge west of Crystal Lake.

Quote Originally Posted by Mott View Post
    I wish OKC was better at maintaining the trails. There is a collapsed bridge landing, wet of Agnew, on north trail for 2+ years, and now on the newer west trail, a landing is starting to go on the bridge west of Crystal Lake.
    Have you contacted the Action Center (or the dept. responsible for the trails)?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    This is from the Oklahoma Bicycle Society website, April 22, condition of the trails...
    The trail between Portland and the Chesapeake Boathouse has been mostly repaved. There is still one bridge that needs to be repaired, but the trail is open. No word from the City as to when the bridge repair might be started.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    This is from the Oklahoma Bicycle Society website, April 22, condition of the trails...

Oklahoma river trail north side..

The trail between Portland and the Chesapeake Boathouse has been mostly repaved. There is still one bridge that needs to be repaired, but the trail is open. No word from the City as to when the bridge repair might be started.

Quote Originally Posted by riflesforwatie View Post
    I have a general question for the mountain bikers here about the OEF Draper trails. I used to use them quite frequently as a runner but I got the impression that the bikers weren't too happy about any "non-bikers" being there, so when the City opened the regular Draper trails I switched to those instead. Am I off-base or is it best for non-bikers to avoid the OEF trails?
    Speaking for myself and no one else. I have never had a problem with hikers or runners on the trail as long as they did their part as well. Walk or run counter to the flow of bike traffic so that the runner as well as the biker can see each other. Runners also need to take the buds out of the ears so you can hear a mountain biker say "trail". Heck even new mountain bikers can be problematic when they decide to stop in the middle of a trail and not move to the side when stopped.

I would encourge anyone interested in MAPS 3 fulfiling its promise of trails in southwest okc watch and act upon the May 27, 2021 Maps 3 Citizens Advisory Committe. Mike Adams makes a detailed presentation at time 59:30 of failure of Maps to deliver upon its promise to build a trail in southwest okc which was identified as a priority trail and was promoted in Maps 3 literature. Now it is 12 years late and no trail has been built and no funds have been committed to it. There are no funds for southwest okc trails in the 2017 bond issue and Better Streets Safer city. This is a disgrace!

Does anyone know when the Maps 3 Citizens Advisory Committee will vote on trails funding? I just finished listening to the June 24 and they didn't touch on it at all. Hoping but not optimistic they will fulfill the promise fo the Earlywine Trail.

Blog Entries

The north trail bridge has been repaired, and new paving continues.

Blog Entries

What's "north trail"?

Probably talking about north side of the OK River.

Blog Entries

Good point, I did notice the new asphalt, super smooth ride now (but bridge wasn't repaired yet)

Plans are moving forward to connect the OK River trails to the First Americans Museum and the Eagle Lake / Katy Trail:

I thought the Katy trail conneciton was hold. Is this being done with Maps 3 funds?

These plans were recently submitted.

Don't know the timing of making it happen.

Blog Entries

I believe it's BCBS money, or at least one of the new trails was (between deep fork and greenway). I think the other (probably deep fork) is bond funded.

Based on the Maps 3 Advisory Board, it appears no trail even though it was part of the MAPS 3 implemenation paln will be funded for south west okc. I am so disgusted by this action.

My husband and I road our bikes from Wheeler to Will Rogers Park on the Will Rogers Trail last Monday. I really wish the trails had better signage. For example, it would be super helpful to have a sign at May on the north side of the trail to direct a rider to the Will Rogers trail. It would also be nice to have distances between landmarks such as for the Park, Lake Hefner etc. I get the feeling the trails would be used more if people knew how connected the city is by the trails. There are a few dated maps along the river but you have to get off your bike to actually read them. Does anyone know if there are any plans for something like that?

20. Default Re: OKC Trails Network

When Hal McKnight and a bunch of us in the Oklahoma Bicycle Society first met years ago to suggest trails nobody had any dreams they would become this big. I'm beyond happy and hope they keep expanding. I'm just an ordinary nobody so I take pleasure in having even a tiny part in anything like this.

Blog Entries

Agree on better signage, throughout the system, especially for things like the trail connecting Lake O to Lake H, if you don't know the way, you'll miss it at first.

22. Default Re: OKC Trails Network

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    Agree on better signage, throughout the system, especially for things like the trail connecting Lake O to Lake H, if you don't know the way, you'll miss it at first.
    This ^

We park at the Overholser Dam and ride our bikes up the river levee and what we call Stoner Road on the other side of the bridge then head up to 50th and turn around multiple times a week.... It wasn't until just a few days ago when I was looking on Google Map for other places to ride that I saw that if we just rode up 50th to Council we could ride all the along the canal to Hefner.

The city is in the process of a large wayfinding and signage project that is expected to be completed by Spring 2022. Hopefully, supply chain issues or cost overruns don't significantly delay it or scale it down (not saying I know of any issues for this project, but with current general market conditions, its always a concern).

Below is a link to the city’s Bike and Pedestrian News Bulletin (From May 2021) that discusses the project (not a ton of information, but there is a small rendering showing what the signage will look like). It looks like an impressive project that will greatly enhance the trail system!

https://content.govdelivery.com/acco...letins/2d9ce95

Blog Entries

AH HA! There's one of these going up at Will Rogers Park and there's no sign on it yet, just the stone base, which doesn't match any of the park architecture and I couldn't figure out what the heck it was going to be. I'll take a pic on the way home.

They've also been putting the in concrete for the in-trail signage all over the place and I couldn't figure out what the heck they were doing. Thought it was groundwater testing wells or something...

25. Default Re: OKC Trails Network

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    They've also been putting the in concrete for the in-trail signage all over the place and I couldn't figure out what the heck they were doing. Thought it was groundwater testing wells or something...
    HA! Right there with ya! I was wondering the exact same thing about that work when I saw it.

Thread Information