Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: OKC Trails Network

Default Re: OKC Trails Network

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    I may have this wrong, but with the state passing the ebikes allowed on trails law that takes effect Nov 1, the city would then have to pass code restricting them at that point, right?
    So does the state law allow Class 3? I just bought one, and want to be law abiding on the trails.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Very unappealing route. Maybe we can find some junkyards and abandoned buildings to ride through.

Can’t we find routes that offer more than a flat surface? One of the reasons I like riding Hefner is that is a good ride in a pleasant environment. This just doesn’t look pleasant.
    I mean, technically there are a couple junk yards and a number of abandoned buildings the trails already go by, but the reality is, as a whole, we have great trails.

Also tough to do any elevation changes when the city as a whole is very, very flat. The trail around Draper does have some nice rolling hills as far as I can tell.

Blog Entries

Yes, the Draper Trails are VERY hilly.

Here's a video snippet of a big hill:
    https://youtu.be/nekmxeFcFPk

I went and explored Draper a few weeks ago and WOW. What a hidden gem, this lake is. I will be spending a lot more time here when I’m in town. I just wished they’d keep up the campsites a bit more.

Blog Entries

I mean, technically there are a couple junk yards and a number of abandoned buildings the trails already go by, but the reality is, as a whole, we have great trails.
    I agree that much of the trails is great. I was just responding to that video.

7. Default Re: OKC Trails Network

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    I went and explored Draper a few weeks ago and WOW. What a hidden gem, this lake is. I will be spending a lot more time here when I’m in town. I just wished they’d keep up the campsites a bit more.
    They have done a tremendous job out there and made the lake busier than I've ever seen it. The trails see a lot of use from walkers that you never saw out there despite it being a popular route for cyclists even before the trail was built.

There never used to be more than a car or two parked at the marina and now there are always 15-20 parked there as well as people parking at the other trail parking lots.

Quote Originally Posted by SEMIweather View Post
    Also tough to do any elevation changes when the city as a whole is very, very flat. The trail around Draper does have some nice rolling hills as far as I can tell.
    Draper has a couple that really kick my ass.... Granted I'm riding my Trek MTB on the paved trails, when I can't get on the MTB trails due to weather, so I'm not really geared for them like the road riders are..... Checking my app on a couple of rides I've made out there. I show an elevation gain between 145-151 feet depending on where I was riding..... Riding the west trail I get about 79 feet of elevation gain and most of that probably come from the drop down from the Reno parking lot down to the trail.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger S View Post
    They have done a tremendous job out there and made the lake busier than I've ever seen it. The trails see a lot of use from walkers that you never saw out there despite it being a popular route for cyclists even before the trail was built.

There never used to be more than a car or two parked at the marina and now there are always 15-20 parked there as well as people parking at the other trail parking lots.

Draper has a couple that really kick my ass.... Granted I'm riding my Trek MTB on the paved trails, when I can't get on the MTB trails due to weather, so I'm not really geared for them like the road riders are..... Checking my app on a couple of rides I've made out there. I show an elevation gain between 145-151 feet depending on where I was riding..... Riding the west trail I get about 79 feet of elevation gain and most of that probably come from the drop down from the Reno parking lot down to the trail.
    What chaps my ass about Draper is the imposition of a fee to ride the trails that the Water Board leased to OEF. The fee is mandated by the city at only this site and the city had done nothing in the construction of the mountain bike trails.

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    What chaps my ass about Draper is the imposition of a fee to ride the trails that the Water Board leased to OEF. The fee is mandated by the city at only this site and the city had done nothing in the construction of the mountain bike trails.
    I didn't see a fee listed on the city's website. How does the fee work? Is their a portion of the trail you can ride for free? Thanks!

I am terribly disappointed in the trails network south of the river. Outside of Draper, it seems to be comprised of only sidewalks and streets.

Blog Entries

South side trails should dramatically improve with MAPS 4, and I'm looking forward to it.

South side trails should dramatically improve with MAPS 4, and I'm looking forward to it.
    Do you know if the plan is to complete the outer southside loop? And will it will be more than sidewalks and streets? It feels as if this portion of the trails is a decade behind where it should be.

Blog Entries

Don't forget that the southside grand trail was one of the first in the network, and as such needs LOTS of work/updates/beautification. Personally I'd like to see some of that happen as well.

I've only seen a few things (and come to think of it, it was before MAPS4 stuff was getting organized, so it's probably actually BSSC funded) that I don't think were final, but I know one focus is connecting to OCCC and Draper from Grand trail, but there were other bodies of water/greenways that were being looked at on the South side for trail addition. Not sure where all that stands presently, but I'd bet the BSSC minutes have some of that info.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthSide View Post
    I didn't see a fee listed on the city's website. How does the fee work? Is their a portion of the trail you can ride for free? Thanks!

I am terribly disappointed in the trails network south of the river. Outside of Draper, it seems to be comprised of only sidewalks and streets.
    There is no fee to use the lake Draper trail which goes all around the lake and is very nice. Lot of walkers, runners and bikers.

There is a $ 10 fee a year to use the Mountain bike trails on post road, on the north side of the lake. Most of the money goes back to OEF for the maintenance of the dirt trails.

Regards

Quote Originally Posted by amocore View Post
    There is no fee to use the lake Draper trail which goes all around the lake and is very nice. Lot walkers, runners and bikers.

There is a $ 10 fee a year to use the Mountain bike trails on post road, on the north side of the lake. Most of the money goes back to OEF for the maintenance of the dirt trails.

Regards
    Thank you! I have just started riding again and it will be a while before i am ready to tackle mountain trails.

15. Default Re: OKC Trails Network

Quote Originally Posted by SouthSide View Post
    Thank you! I have just started riding again and it will be a while before i am ready to tackle mountain trails.
    The Huff & Puff trail is a good start to get back on the trails... 1 mile... Nothing to technical.... Watch out for the handful of sandy spots... They can take you down.

There is no fee to use the lake Draper trail which goes all around the lake and is very nice. Lot of walkers, runners and bikers.

Regards
    To use the trails on the North Side of Lake Stanley Draper Drive the annual fee is $25, the daily fee is $2. There is no discount for either seniors or veterans. Permits can be purchased at the Marina office on S.E. 85th. To verify the cost and to get office hours to purchase call the marina @ 405.799.0870.

It went up ! I dont remeber what I paid last year but I think it was closer to $ 10.

You are corrrect so. Buy it online
    https://access.okc.gov/aca/Cap/CapEd...&TabName=Parks

18. Default Re: OKC Trails Network

They don't make that fee information very available.... I have ridden out there several times and never saw a sign saying anything about fees and trying to find a needle in a haystack is easier than finding it on the OKC website.

I bet most people riding out there aren't even aware there is a fee,... I was unaware until today.

There is a sign at the entrance of the parking lot on Post Rd saying permit required. It is for the MTB trails but I do not know if jogger or\and walker have to pay it too or just bike rider.

There is a sign at the entrance of the parking lot on Post Rd saying permit required. It is for the MTB trails but I do not know if jogger or\and walker have to pay it too or just bike rider.
    Fyi: All users are required to purchase the permit, whether you hike or bike or even if you don't use the parking lot.

Blog Entries

It went up ! I dont remeber what I paid last year but I think it was closer to $ 10.

You are corrrect so. Buy it online
    https://access.okc.gov/aca/Cap/CapEd...&TabName=Parks
    doesn't work

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Very unappealing route. Maybe we can find some junkyards and abandoned buildings to ride through.

Can’t we find routes that offer more than a flat surface? One of the reasons I like riding Hefner is that is a good ride in a pleasant environment. This just doesn’t look pleasant.
    I know you're kind of kidding but you do realize there literally is a junkyard along the West River Trail? Plus several "storage yards" associated with various industrial businesses. So the new route is not really much of a downgrade. I will miss watching the bison just south of the Peterbilt/Ford dealership, though.

I have a general question for the mountain bikers here about the OEF Draper trails. I used to use them quite frequently as a runner but I got the impression that the bikers weren't too happy about any "non-bikers" being there, so when the City opened the regular Draper trails I switched to those instead. Am I off-base or is it best for non-bikers to avoid the OEF trails?

Blog Entries

I thought the Buffalo was still there, it is the Elk that has passed? The trail has as much viewing of the Buffalo as always.

Thread Information