Widgets Magazine
Page 204 of 455 FirstFirst ... 104154199200201202203204205206207208209254304 ... LastLast
Results 5,076 to 5,100 of 11357

Thread: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

Default Re: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

I honestly don’t know if more people will wear a mask now. But. God I hope they do.

I do think if a majority of people do, the cases will go down.

Quote Originally Posted by kukblue1 View Post
    Go to a Braums Market you will see it trust me. They get away with murder cause they are half grocery half food. Social Distancing not happen at the one my friends work at. Tables not block off people crowed elbow to elbow waiting on the number to be called to come pick up the food. SMH
    Under the new ordinance, everyone in the store should be wearing a mask except "while eating or drinking", under age 11, or if they fall under one of the other exceptions. I'm not going in a restaurant anyway. I might use the Braums drive through since they have started handing market items through the drive through window. Haven't yet, but have thought about it.

Quote Originally Posted by kukblue1 View Post
    Go to a Braums Market you will see it trust me. They get away with murder cause they are half grocery half food. Social Distancing not happen at the one my friends work at. Tables not block off people crowed elbow to elbow waiting on the number to be called to come pick up the food. SMH
    I think you misunderstood my comment. I'm saying there won't be too many places to call 911 on because they will say they are exempt. Anyone eating at Braums is exempt because they are "dining". Frankly, anyone who can get their heartrate above 120BPM can say they are currently engaged in "cardio" and be exempt.
    It's so watered down it's sinking.

Quote Originally Posted by FighttheGoodFight View Post

After this whole ordeal my family is thinking about moving on to another state. I've never seen such hatred and foaming at the mouth here before.
    I had a thought about a week ago.

You know, if I work to make a lot of money and travel why not up and move to a place that I like and everywhere I'd want to travel is nearby or if not cheaper? Of course with the places that'll the US citizens that significantly lowers my choices.

Getting out of OK might not be enough for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Hausfrau View Post
    I think you misunderstood my comment. I'm saying there won't be too many places to call 911 on because they will say they are exempt. Anyone eating at Braums is exempt because they are "dining". Frankly, anyone who can get their heartrate above 120BPM can say they are currently engaged in "cardio" and be exempt.
    It's so watered down it's sinking.
    I get what you are saying, but it does not exempt while in a restaurant or bar, or " dining." It exempts "while eating or drinking" in a restaurant or bar. That does not include sitting in the foyer waiting for a table, when picking up food at the counter, going to the bathroom or coming in and out of the store for that matter, unless they are eating and drinking at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    Here's a good article and tweet thread on how to talk to anti-maskers without shaming them (which is more effective).

Article: https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...-masks/613375/

Tweet thread: https://twitter.com/JuliaLMarcus/sta...818079744?s=20
    Um, no, I'm not going to stand there and try to empathize with someone who, more than likely, endorses Toxic Masculinity like that ***hole baseball player does, talking to them while they're unmasked and trying to get them to understand that states and other municipalities have emergency powers to mandate public health measures that are backed by science *and* are constitutional. Some of the tweets in response basically said "A lot of anti-maskers aren't rational, logical, and don't listen, they just rant about their supposed rights that are being infringed on" - I didn't watch the council meeting, but do you think any of the anti-maskers there would be amenable to listening to empathetic reasoning? That idiot baseball player says the grocery store workers looked run-down and beat-down, and they are - they're working for magnitudes less than his $10 million annual salary (in 2013, don't know how much he's worth or making now), most likely don't have a choice whether or not to report to work, and are literally on the front lines and could contract COVID-19 and have horrible things (including death) happen to them at any time.

The article and Twitter thread really didn't have any concrete suggestions on what to say to an anti-masker, except the analogy between wearing masks and drunk driving laws, so what *is* suggested if I wanted to empathize with an anti-masker (which I probably won't be doing, see above)? From the article and thread, it sounds like organizations and governments need to do the heavy lifting and make masks available and explain why they need to wear them (condom analogy for HIV), not the average citizen. Oh wait, I forgot who our "leaders" are, nevermind...

7. Default Re: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

Being in Ward 1 my council member was one of the two no votes. I’ve already emailed that I will not only not vote for him again but will actively support any opponent that runs against him. This is by far the biggest imaginable issue a council member could face and he FAILED!!
    And as I’ve said before I’m very a-political. I’ve never taken a political stand before but this is serious **** and those who don’t take it seriously need to go!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Vu View Post
    I had a thought about a week ago.

You know, if I work to make a lot of money and travel why not up and move to a place that I like and everywhere I'd want to travel is nearby or if not cheaper? Of course with the places that'll the US citizens that significantly lowers my choices.

Getting out of OK might not be enough for me.
    I understand and empathize with this impulse. The state desperately needs smart young persons to stay but I fear many will head for greener pastures and it will be the 1980s all over again.

9. Default Re: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    The reference to my family member is anything but myth. Neither are Dr. Fauci's comments from this week. They are only now beginning to understand the damage this does to young people. No reason to be so snippy.
    To be fair, you’ve been Snippy in this thread for the better part of 5 months.

So I’m honestly a bit surprised you weren’t expecting some Snippiness in return?

Quote Originally Posted by mkjeeves View Post
    Under the new ordinance, everyone in the store should be wearing a mask except "while eating or drinking", under age 11, or if they fall under one of the other exceptions. I'm not going in a restaurant anyway. I might use the Braums drive through since they have started handing market items through the drive through window. Haven't yet, but have thought about it.
    They have been working on years getting online ordering with pick up going. I think a few stores might be testing it now. It's been in the works for years but for some reason they been dragging their feet. Probably how they will staff it. Let's face it they are so understaffed as it is. Go into the Market at night and you have to wait 5 minutes for someone to come check you out. How is it going to work if they do have a market person and he is out loading orders into a car. How long will you have to wait then?

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    Here's a good article and tweet thread on how to talk to anti-maskers without shaming them (which is more effective).

Article: https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...-masks/613375/

Tweet thread: https://twitter.com/JuliaLMarcus/sta...818079744?s=20
    This is good. Thank you Dan.

Quote Originally Posted by jonny d View Post
    This is basically what Texas did. It sucks that it wasn't statewide, but OKC doing this, I feel will start a domino effect around the metro. Not a huge fan of churches not being mandate, but beggars can't be choosers here in Oklahoma.
    The state shouldn't regulate religion.

HangryHippo Guest

Requiring masks for religious services isn’t remotely regulating religion.

I did actually find something useful in the Twitter thread Dan posted.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Clipboard01.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	110.0 KB 
ID:	16266

15. Default Re: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    It would admittedly be a close question under the State’s RFRA, especially post Hobby-Lobby.

I can see why the Council side-stepped the issue.

Much smarter to take the obvious W’s.

Blog Entries

Indeed! No more than not smoking on Church property.

17. Default Re: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Pathetic. I'll still be calling 911 if I see people without one in the places they're required.
    A new member to the Brown Shirts, calling the cops is always a better solution...

19. Default Re: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

A coworker of mine had her mother end up in the hospital in Chickasha this week, for an injury that was bad enough she needed the ICU (i.e. non-COVID-related). She ended up needing more advanced care than Chickasha was able to provide, but none of the hospitals in OKC or Norman would accept the transfer. She ended up being sent to Lawton instead. Even that was kind of touch-and-go for a while and there had been talk of Wichita Falls being the backup plan.

Things are getting scary.

Noticed for the last 4-5 weeks or so they were having organized Flag Football/Kickball leagues on some evenings @ Lake Hefner/Dog park area. Will this still be allowed?

Quote Originally Posted by Ohwiseone View Post
    To be fair, he said he was going to vote no yesterday, so if anything, at least he was consistent.
    McAtee is, unfortunately, my councilman. I am so ready for that fossil to retire. I have been in multiple meetings with him and constituents, and he does not listen to anyone about anything. I’m sure he was probably better in the past but he is like talking to a brick wall now. Sayonara, Larry!

You are wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by HHE View Post
    You are wrong.
    No, he's not. It's not altering the content of the service nor changing the free exercise of religion. The first amendment does not provide places of worship with immunity from any civil ordinance or law. They still have to deal with fire codes, building codes and public health codes.

Quote Originally Posted by PoliSciGuy View Post
    No, he's not. It's not altering the content of the service nor changing the free exercise of religion. The first amendment does not provide places of worship with immunity from any civil ordinance or law. They still have to deal with fire codes, building codes and public health codes.
    There are rituals in certain religions that can not be accomplished if you wear a mask or social distance. It required the worshipers to break secular law.

There is a difference between the free exercise of religion and building.

Thread Information