Widgets Magazine
Page 166 of 455 FirstFirst ... 66116161162163164165166167168169170171216266 ... LastLast
Results 4,126 to 4,150 of 11357

Thread: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

Default Re: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

Quote Originally Posted by OKC Guy View Post
    For those who missed it here is Dallas mayor:

Mayor Eric Johnson
    @Johnson4Dallas
    Here are the bed and ventilator capacity statistics as reported by 25 hospitals in the
    @CityOfDallas
    :

Total beds: 6106
    Beds occupied: 3959 (65%)
    Total ICU beds: 968
    ICU beds occupied: 652 (67%)
    Total ventilators: 960
    Ventilators in use: 351 (37%)
    2:50 PM · Jul 5, 2020

https://mobile.twitter.com/Johnson4D...65311945273350
    Didn't the Abbot suspend elective procedures a couple of weeks ago? If so, then aren't these hospital numbers being artificially depressed in anticipation of a surge.

Quote Originally Posted by OKC Guy View Post
    I would love to reply to the politics portion but I’m sure I would be banned since I’m not on the favored side of that argument. Its like posters try and goad political replies in non political thread. Not biting.

I did post some good stats in Pol Covid thread yesterday, showing the top 25 Dallas hospitals are at less than 67% of capacity and this is bankruptcy numbers. Their Vent % is at 37% capacity, again way lower than normal even pre-Covid. They need more patients but Covid scare is keeping people away. The data came from their mayor. If hospitals start to go under and lay off medical workers this is going to create long lasting damage to our medical system. That in turn hurts all of us eventually.

Also, I would like to see the death rate numbers it seems we have been trending lower and lower over time. Thats good news even if positive numbers are up. Numbers are up because more are testing and more were out at protests - and this crowd skewed younger - and younger death rates are almost non existent below 40 years old. If we took out this anomaly then our pos numbers would be declining.
    LOL at the protest canard. Also, for the four millionth time, this is not just about deaths. “Survivors” are dealing with many life altering symptoms.

Quote Originally Posted by PoliSciGuy View Post
    That’s another great example of how we need to be careful with how we analyze data. Dallas is rising but is by no means swamped, meanwhile Houston, home to one of the best medical centers in the world, is already in surge capacity and running out of ECMO beds. Some rural towns of Texas are epicenters while others have few cases. So when we see Texas numbers we need to *not* see it as every single Texan municipality has the exact same scenario.

Edit: ah yes, noted epidemiologist Clay Travis, who is conveniently omitting the fact that AZ, TX, CA and other states’ reporting was only partial due to the holiday weekend
    You forgot to mention the prior several weeks of declines but thats to be expected.

Has anyone located Clorox (or similar) Wet Wipes in the metro? I can only find baby wipes or makeup remover wipes, basically no chemicals in those, so not what I want. Walmart has empty shelves for that area every time. I've looked online too.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Hausfrau View Post
    Has anyone located Clorox (or similar) Wet Wipes in the metro? I can only find baby wipes or makeup remover wipes, basically no chemicals in those, so not what I want. Walmart has empty shelves for that area every time. I've looked online too.
    Crest, in Edmond (so hopefully at their other locations) had shelves of wipes and disinfectant spray when we went by last Thursday. They're some brand I've never heard of so may be some company repurposing for a time, but they seem to work as well as Clorox.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    LOL at the protest canard. Also, for the four millionth time, this is not just about deaths. “Survivors” are dealing with many life altering symptoms.
    This is a key point. Covid-19 does many things besides kill people; it damages the lining of blood vessels which go to every organ in the body. The dramatic increase in blood clots could cause very different types of damage depending on the blood vessel involved. Kidneys seem particularly susceptible; it is entirely possible that damage is being done which wouldn't manifest itself for years.

Also, even the asymptomatic folks are ending up with life-long lung damage: https://www.zmescience.com/medicine/...amage-0523532/

Focusing just on the death rate is dangerously myopic

Do you think large groups of people protesting and gathering together in general should be discouraged?

I honestly hope there is a study of cases hat actually have lasting effects. I am not talking weight loss or something temporary that is reversed when it clears. But like, other than temporary loss of lung function or something similar. If it is a small amount, then that is a very good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by PoliSciGuy View Post
    Also, even the asymptomatic folks are ending up with life-long lung damage: https://www.zmescience.com/medicine/...amage-0523532/

Focusing just on the death rate is dangerously myopic
    I might have missed it but I didn't see where the article stated that "life-long" damage was discovered, just that there was damage to the lungs consistent with pneumonia. Despite having asthma, I'm definitely ignorant on the extent to which pneumonia or anything else causes irreversible lung damage but it doesn't sound like its a foregone conclusion that damage done by most cases of Covid-19 is permanent.

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    Do you think large groups of people protesting and gathering together in general should be discouraged?
    In short, yes, I do. I feel protests are necessary at times, including this moment, but I hope people are mindful of distancing (and I realize many were not). I did see a lot of people wearing masks.

Chanting and yelling and singing and talking loudly have all been proven to be the most likely means to transmit the virus, although with a caveat that indoor environments are more dangerous.

My point was that it has been shown that the protests did not create a significant increase in cases. What has been a factor has been bars, church events, weddings, funerals, and large indoor gatherings, per the mayor and the head of the OKC City County Health Dept.

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    I might have missed it but I didn't see where the article stated that "life-long" damage was discovered, just that there was damage to the lungs consistent with pneumonia. Despite having asthma, I'm definitely ignorant on the extent to which pneumonia or anything else causes irreversible lung damage but it doesn't sound like its a foregone conclusion that damage done by most cases of Covid-19 is permanent.
    "Long-term" is probably more accurate, since we don't know if folks will be able to heal, but these sorts of abnormalities do not clear up quickly https://www.acpjournals.org/doi/10.7326/M20-3012

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Hausfrau View Post
    Saw several 3 packs of Clorox wipes at Quail Springs Target at 9 this morning as well as 35 count and 75 count single canisters. The key is getting there early.

Costco regularly gets 5 packs of Clorox and 4 packs of their Kirkland Signature disinfecting wipes every so often. Scored the 5 pack at Costco last Friday.

14. Default Re: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Shadid View Post
    This is a key point. Covid-19 does many things besides kill people; it damages the lining of blood vessels which go to every organ in the body. The dramatic increase in blood clots could cause very different types of damage depending on the blood vessel involved. Kidneys seem particularly susceptible; it is entirely possible that damage is being done which wouldn't manifest itself for years.
    Yes. I listened to The Daily podcast today and they brought up an interesting point. The more we learn about Covid-19 the more doctors are describing it as a vascular disease rather than a respiratory disease like they did in the beginning. It affects many more organs than just the lungs.

We have only been dealing with this as a country for a few months.

The idea that it's fine people get infected and sick -- as long as they don't die -- is absurd.

We simply don't know hardly anything about the long-term effects... So just hoping there aren't any is ridiculous.

16. Default Re: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

426 hospitalizations. We are now back to early April numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Do they have a chart that can be overlayed with deaths to compare?

The positive test rate for the last week was 4.6%.

Approximately one out of four people hospitalized will die.

Approximately one out of four people hospitalized will die.
    Huh?

The Edmond City council meeting is certainly entertaining (and educational). The (new?) owner of The Real Cafe just got done with her anti-mask rant. They have UV lights at the doors so all's good there I guess...

There are another dozen or so folks waiting to speak if anyone is bored and wants to watch - http://edmondok.com/93/Watch-Live

23. Default Re: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

Quote Originally Posted by kukblue1 View Post
    Huh?
    True. Sort of. Approx 1600 ever hospitalized, 400 total deaths. So 1 out of 4. But I’m pretty sure some of the deaths are never hospitalized so that’s not completely accurate. But still probably pretty close.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Robertson View Post
    True. Sort of. Approx 1600 ever hospitalized, 400 total deaths. So 1 out of 4. But I’m pretty sure some of the deaths are never hospitalized so that’s not completely accurate. But still probably pretty close.
    I think at least a quarter if not half the deaths were in nursing homes

Good tool from the financial times.

https://ig.ft.com/coronavirus-chart/...&values=deaths

Thread Information