Widgets Magazine
Page 306 of 455 FirstFirst ... 206256301302303304305306307308309310311356406 ... LastLast
Results 7,626 to 7,650 of 11357

Thread: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

1. Default Re: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

Watch this amazing graphic and tell me leadership doesn't make a difference.

https://twitter.com/MollyJongFast/st...17866424442880

Default Re: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

Quote Originally Posted by catcherinthewry View Post
    Watch this amazing graphic and tell me leadership doesn't make a difference.

https://twitter.com/MollyJongFast/st...17866424442880
    That is a perfect representation of what has happened in this country.

If it carried through to today, you'd see that North Dakota is now #1 in per capita cases. Freaking North Dakota with just about the lowest population density in the country.

It also goes to show how rural areas -- which have not had nearly the mask mandates or compliance -- are where the biggest increases are showing up then consequently flooding hospitals in cities, which is exactly what is happening in Oklahoma.

Quote Originally Posted by C_M_25 View Post
    Don't forget too, that kids start taking standardized tests in 3rd grade. These kids are still really little, and 1 year can have a detrimental affect in preparing for the testing.

One thing that we forget is that we look at these circumstances with very adult (typically) thought processes. We forget what it's like to be a kid. I don't remember much from kindergarten, so I can't put myself in these kid's shoes, and I know we are all guilty of that.

As you said, 3-4 years will be a disaster, but I would argue, for a subset of these kids, that 1 year could have a long-lasting detrimental effect on their development.
    Well I guess our state leaders should have thought about that when they refused to get the virus under control. Don't forget, though, that our state leaders don't care about education either, and they are obviously willing to send teachers to their premature deaths without remorse. '

Bad look for Oklahoma.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    McAtee.
    Words cannot adequately describe how much I despise Larry McAtee. As a constituent, he is routinely dismissive to members of his ward and he never listens to anyone. He is a terrible listener (added for emphasis). So glad that fossil is retiring.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    Words cannot adequately describe how much I despise Larry McAtee. As a constituent, he is routinely dismissive to members of his ward and he never listens to anyone. He is a terrible listener (added for emphasis). So glad that fossil is retiring.
    Good to know that idiot's going to be gone, saves me a nasty email asking him if he's going to be the next science-denying snowball politician.

6. Default Re: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

Wow! I'm surprised almost daily by something that people do. Within no time at all after the vote this might the City Of Oklahoma City FB page blew up with rude, mean, hateful, selfish comments by mask vs no-mask supporters. I hid the page afterward an hour or so. I'm glued the discussion was online because if it was face to face it might have taken an ugly turn.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Hausfrau View Post
    Just seems odd choice to move lab away from urban centers. Bulk of public health testing is STD outbreaks and communicable diseases. Separating the laboratory from the actual health department as well as from an urban core is interesting. And that's a hell of a new commute if you are a lab employee.
    I'm not the only one who thought this was an odd move.https://www.readfrontier.org/stories...raws-blowback/

I'm not the only one who thought this was an odd move.https://www.readfrontier.org/stories...raws-blowback/
    With so many issues around public health in Oklahoma, why in blue hell should we completely relocate the lab and risk losing a good number of very experienced employees?

And how on earth does this help 'rural healh'? OKC is dead-center of the state; this will move the lab farther away from lots of places, including Lawton.

He'll issue a statement disputing the numbers then do zero.
    That's accurate. What he won't say is that lack of. ICU beds in rural counties and lack of trained medical personnel in every Oklahoma county are turning this into a goat roping cluster F$@$.
    To paraphrase Seinfeld, I can call anything an ICU bed. It's the actual ICU care that's important.

With so many issues around public health in Oklahoma, why in blue hell should we completely relocate the lab and risk losing a good number of very experienced employees?

And how on earth does this help 'rural healh'? OKC is dead-center of the state; this will move the lab farther away from lots of places, including Lawton.
    Unless you WANT all your state employees to quit so that you can then pursue a private contract with a third party lab vendor thereby saving the State Health Dept $$ in benefits and matching retirement pensions. Then you can say you streamlined the "out of control" state health budget. As I recall, the most recent Health Department head actually asked the state legislature for LESS money than was originally appropriated.
    I'm guessing it all comes down to cost.

Unless you WANT all your state employees to quit so that you can then pursue a private contract with a third party lab vendor thereby saving the State Health Dept $$ in benefits and matching retirement pensions. Then you can say you streamlined the "out of control" state health budget. As I recall, the most recent Health Department head actually asked the state legislature for LESS money than was originally appropriated.
    I'm guessing it all comes down to cost.
    Nailed it. Yay, go neoliberalism, the most wonderful economic ideology of all time.....

Quote Originally Posted by FighttheGoodFight View Post
    I think we have really hit maximum "pandemic fatigue." A lot of people who I know were careful early just stopped caring. I get it, 7 months of this has been a long time.
    Anyone who claims they're "going back to normal" because they have "pandemic fatigue" just comes off as spoiled and selfish. I'm sorry, it's pathetic.

I am very sympathetic to people actually being fatigued by the pandemic. That's legitimate. But deciding you're done with it is just immature.

McAtee.
    Is Stitt still mute on this? It's infuriating to think we are out of ICU beds in OKC mostly due to morons in Weatherford and Elk City who are too embarrassed to wear a mask, because certain nationally elected political leaders are telling them it makes them look weak.

14. Default Re: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    Anyone who claims they're "going back to normal" because they have "pandemic fatigue" just comes off as spoiled and selfish. I'm sorry, it's pathetic.

I am very sympathetic to people actually being fatigued by the pandemic. That's legitimate. But deciding you're done with it is just immature.
    I'm fatigued of it. And it's taking healthy, active time away from me that I don't know how much of I have. But even with antibodies that I was pretty sure would keep me safe I was anal about taking ALL the precautions. Part of the woodwork on our cabinets will have to be redone because with wipes not available I'm using alcohol and it's changed the finish. And I'm not letting up a bit. At all. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by C_M_25 View Post
    FYI, the only way to end a pandemic like this is a vaccine.
    And the only way to have 1000 deaths a day is to do nothing about it. There are examples of containing it without complete shutdowns. The US has a little more than 4% of the world's population and accounts for about 20% of Covid related deaths.

The choice isn't between shutting down and doing nothing. The choice is between implementing mitigating efforts and procedures to limit transmission and death or doing nothing and maximizing transmission and death. We have many people who are not only choosing the do nothing plan, but are actively working against mitigation efforts and, in turn, actively encouraging more transmission. Our disproportionate amount of cases and deaths is because we systematically willed it to be so.

The crazy thing is that none of the pandemic war gaming models before this pandemic suggested that the US would be this bad, because they all assumed the United States would respond as well as or better than any other country in the world to a pandemic crisis, given its resources. We are not a country that couldn't respond to a pandemic, we are one that chose not to.

Quote Originally Posted by jccouger View Post
    https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jam...rticle/2771761

OK currently about 10% higher rate of death than expected. I believe it was bouldersooner who claimed we’ve had fewer deaths this year.
    This study is a huge deal. Fully 1/3 of the deaths are not directly due to Covid but show the downstream effects of the pandemic. Which circles back to the whole lack of ICU beds currently. Now is a really bad time to have a heart attack.

This study is a huge deal. Fully 1/3 of the deaths are not directly due to Covid but show the downstream effects of the pandemic. Which circles back to the whole lack of ICU beds currently. Now is a really bad time to have a heart attack.
    And this is a key metric.

Basically, don't get in a car wreck right now. Don't have a stroke right now. Don't have a heart attack right now. Even if you didn't get coronavirus when you weren't wearing a mask in a bar, you may die because someone else felt the same way as you about not wearing a mask. Unfortunately, there's no longer room for you both. The infrastructure was not built for a pandemic of this magnitude, so you get to choose.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesseda View Post
    Well Guys I just had to go pick up my daughter from Moore High. She is being quarantined for 14 days, a girl at her school that tested positive showed up to school yesterday and by midday was bragging about having covid which turned out to be true so multiple kids that sat close to her in the classrooms got sent home for 14 days which was a lot of them, there was a line of cars picking up other students when i showed up to pick my daughter up. My daughter is upset, mad and scared all at the same time that this has happened. She has multiple test coming up and she is scared with doing all online she might fail smh. I really wish the schools would just go back to online. I tried asking the school questions about the exposure and the questions about the kid who tested positive but the school wouldnt tell me any info ( not wanting to know the girls name or anything, I know the name due to my daughter telling me the whole story of the girl, just that if its true that the girl knew about it and brought it purposely to school ).
    And did her parents allow her to come to school anyway?.

I love how the OSDH is saying they “we’re monitoring the situation” in regards to no available icu beds.

Glad to know our tax dollars are being used well here...

Isn’t there a meme about this: “some people just want to watch the world burn.” That’s our OSDH...

The long commute brought up in an article is not all that big of a deal. A number of OSU professors and other OSU employees commute from Oklahoma City and Tulsa metros. However, they don't want to move to Stillwater, due to its sad lack of a shopping, dining, entertainment and other highly desired amenities. But that is solvable by driving to Oklahoma City and Tulsa on weekends.

Speaking of Tulsa, maybe many legislators from that area will be supportive of the move, since it will be closer to Tulsa. At any rate, the state needs a bigger and better health lab now. But I won't be surprised plans are changed, probably during the legislative session, and the health lab gets moved back to OKC in a couple of years or so when construction on a new one is finished there. That will make current employees happy as well as other people. The planned Oklahoma Pandemic Center for Innovation and Excellence will follow.

Timing, wisdom questioned in relocation announcement. https://www.muskogeephoenix.com/okla...71ef66abf.html

Photo of building the lab will be moving into soon for the interim, if all is finalized. It was formerly occupied by Devon.

21. Default Re: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

Quote Originally Posted by FighttheGoodFight View Post
    I think we have really hit maximum "pandemic fatigue." A lot of people who I know were careful early just stopped caring. I get it, 7 months of this has been a long time.
    There is a group of us normally in the office at work. Same situation, at first we cleaned, wiped and sprayed Lysol until we choked on it. Now, not so much, and just as guilty. We do try to wear our masks, but even that is not not 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by rezman View Post
    The parents probably didn't give a damn.
    That's a huge part of the problem.

The U.S. has now passed 8 million cases and 220,000 deaths.

Quote Originally Posted by rezman View Post
    Im not sure! I called the school to ask questions and the person on the phone told me she cant answer anything and to ask my daughter which makes no sense smh, all my daughter told me was the girl knew she had it and how multiple cheerleaders tested positive the past week which this girl was a cheerleader according my daughter. I got a email last night saying the school was made aware that 2 kids had coronavirus and attended school on monday and that was mainly it so I dont have a answer but you would think the parents allowed her to show up since she came in knowing she was positive and later on bragged about it to some students which then turned her in. Again this info is from my daughter since the school is not giving me any answers smh. I believe my daughter because she was so mad at this girl my daughter was in tears from being angry and I know my daughter wouldnt be angry if it was just a I did not know I had Covid type situation.

1,121 new cases today, the most ever for a Wednesday.

7-day rolling average now 1,180, an all-time high.

Hospitalizations 749 (-11), down slightly from an all-time high.

ICU 289 (+12), an all-time high.

Thread Information