Widgets Magazine
Page 238 of 455 FirstFirst ... 138188233234235236237238239240241242243288338 ... LastLast
Results 5,926 to 5,950 of 11357

Thread: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

Default Re: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

Quote Originally Posted by gopokes88 View Post
    # of new cases is clearly starting to level off. Deaths lag so it's not a surprise they're rising but % wise they remain lower than this spring.
    While there is some signs that new cases leveling off, and some knowledge for better treatments is now being practiced, now that we have more data you can tell that our testing in spring was outrageously below where it needed to be. Not a surprise given how quickly things developed. IMHO - this should in no way be interpreted to mean the virus is less deadly now. (I realize you aren't explicitly making that claim.)

We've never known the TRUE number of cases - and we never will. As such, the actual fatality rate is MUCH lower than the case fatality rate. Now that testing infrastructure is in place - even if woefully inadequate as it is today, the % of deaths from known cases is expected to lower as it will gravitate towards the actual fatality rate.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    Is that supposed to make it look better?
    the poster posted a statement of fact.

I posted a statement of fact.

nm

With only 5 days of data to report for August - the month is so far shaping up to be the most deadly and have the most new cases.

Of course this will change as we get further in to the month, so take the September 1 projections with a grain of salt:

Ahhh, just a single death. Maybe two.

https://kfor.com/health/coronavirus/...-unborn-child/

Thankfully, her loved ones can rest easy knowing that the % of cases that end up dead is lower than it was in April!

Quote Originally Posted by pw405 View Post
    Ahhh, just a single death. Maybe two.

https://kfor.com/health/coronavirus/...-unborn-child/

Thankfully, her loved ones can rest easy knowing that the % of cases that end up dead is lower than it was in April!
    Yes. We should make massive decisions that impact every single aspect of society based one or two cases.

All loss of life is sad.

But this isn’t that, you have to make decisions on what is the best path for the most amount of people. And you can’t just factor in, what stops covid (nothing really), you have to weigh mental health, unemployment, etc etc.

Quote Originally Posted by pw405 View Post
    With only 5 days of data to report for August - the month is so far shaping up to be the most deadly and have the most new cases.

Of course this will change as we get further in to the month, so take the September 1 projections with a grain of salt:

This assumes there’s no leveling off and there already is. Other hot spot states like Florida and Texas have leveled off as well.

Hospitalizations not going up which considering we have been reporting over 1,000 cases for a month now i guess is a good sign. I know they lag but I would think we would of seen more of an increase

Have there been updates on the backlog? I hope the leveling of is including processing some of that.

Just an observation... I go by the OUHSC every day, where on Monday free, unrestricted PCR testing by appointment was instituted. Just call 271-7774, make the appointment, stay in your car, and, I am told, the labs are all done in house at OU Med, and are at most 48hrs turnaround. Over the last three days I have seen a grand total of ONE car in line for testing. I don't know if this has any real bearing or meaning relating to this conversation, but I just found it odd that if you can get basically "right now" testing and comparatively fast turnaround on the result, there would be more people taking advantage of this. You don't need money, you don't need any condition. Feel like a test, just call the number. Sounds pretty good to me!

11. Default Re: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

I read that Dr. Brix is coming to Oklahoma to advise about slowing down our current spike. Being sent by the White House Task force to several states. It is all just wild that a letter from congress is "political" but the white house is deeming us a state that needs extra help to stop the spikes.

I hope she gives some good advice that the governor will take and implement.

Quote Originally Posted by FighttheGoodFight View Post
    I read that Dr. Brix is coming to Oklahoma to advise about slowing down our current spike. Being sent by the White House Task force to several states. It is all just wild that a letter from congress is "political" but the white house is deeming us a state that needs extra help to stop the spikes.

I anticipate that same response Dr. Brix was given by the Tennessee Governor.

Quote Originally Posted by FighttheGoodFight View Post

Ha, after Gov. Stitt came down with only a mild, brief case of it, why should I expect him to take covid any more seriously? Maybe Oklahomans who had severe cases, especially well known ones, requiring hospitalization need to come out.

Quote Originally Posted by securityinfo View Post
    Just an observation... I go by the OUHSC every day, where on Monday free, unrestricted PCR testing by appointment was instituted. Just call 271-7774, make the appointment, stay in your car, and, I am told, the labs are all done in house at OU Med, and are at most 48hrs turnaround. Over the last three days I have seen a grand total of ONE car in line for testing. I don't know if this has any real bearing or meaning relating to this conversation, but I just found it odd that if you can get basically "right now" testing and comparatively fast turnaround on the result, there would be more people taking advantage of this. You don't need money, you don't need any condition. Feel like a test, just call the number. Sounds pretty good to me!
    I did that exact test and got my results back in 24 hrs.

Fortunately, no mention of OKC or Oklahoma here:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/05/healt...rus/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    I anticipate that same response Dr. Brix was given by the Tennessee Governor.
    Yep, as I said before, Stitt's position is "ain't done nothin', ain't gonna do nothin', nohow, noway"

Quote Originally Posted by kukblue1 View Post
    Hospitalizations not going up which considering we have been reporting over 1,000 cases for a month now i guess is a good sign. I know they lag but I would think we would of seen more of an increase
    Hospitalizations are at an all-time high.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    Fortunately, no mention of OKC or Oklahoma here:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/05/healt...rus/index.html
    Since they were talking some about California cities, this reminds me to ask a question I hope someone smarter than me can help with. What's going on with California? From what I understand, they've been doing just about everything that we think states should do (they've had a state mask mandate since June, and longer than that in certain counties and cities, they were aggressive in their shutdown and slow in their reopening, etc). Yet their cases are about 30% higher than Oklahoma (per capita) and their death rates are even higher. Is this a problem in density or is it an issue with the cities outside of the denser urban population centers having a lower compliance rate with masks and social distancing? It seems like early on we were tracking pretty close to California but that doesn't seem to be the case any longer.

Quote Originally Posted by securityinfo View Post
    They do the free PCR testing at IMMY Labs too. The one in Norman (don't know what the other metro locations are like), it is like that during the weekdays, very few cars. But when they do it on a weekend the amount of cars is pretty constant during the hours that they are testing.

837 new cases today.

10 more reported deaths.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    837 new cases today.

10 more reported deaths.
    At least the new cases is under 1000. Those deaths tho...

Looking at the various data, I’m starting to get cautiously optimistic that masks are starting to help the situation.

On mobile, so quick response:

I am optimistic that mask mandate is helping new cases to stop growing. Some of the data supports this.

Hospital staying flat: while good in that we aren't seeing growth, I think the large increase in deaths explains most of this. See previous graph. Around the time hospitals level out, many died.

Re: California - I would have to think some of their spread is related to density, however I saw an article yesterday saying that they are "taking drastic action, like cutting electricity and water" to giant house parties. Picture showed a PACKED outside deck - standing room only. These darn youngsters are having too much fun!

The big population centers in California are quite dense; much more so than you would think.

And because homes/apartments are small and tightly grouped with little private space, the culture is very, very much about going OUT. Or, getting together in small spaces. And most people have roommates or live with their families because everything is so expensive.

When I lived there, even among my hundreds of friends who were generally very accomplished, almost no one owned a house with a yard. I only did towards the end, and it was in an outlying area and even then my yard was 1/4 what I have now.

And of course at the lower end of the socioeconomic spectrum, millions take public transportation and live in incredibly dense situations.

It's very difficult to avoid a lot of human contact in the areas where most people live.

Keep in mind their per capita case rate is right in the middle of the pack. They just have a massive population, almost 40 million people.

I didn't think about the lack of yards in CA.... I've been spoiled by using my backyard pretty extensively during the past few months.

Thread Information