Widgets Magazine
Page 273 of 455 FirstFirst ... 173223268269270271272273274275276277278323373 ... LastLast
Results 6,801 to 6,825 of 11357

Thread: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

Default Re: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

Quote Originally Posted by jedicurt View Post
    thank you for the information. glad to know that some schools took precautions. that seems to be the biggest problem through all of this, very few people want to actually look at potential problems and solve them. the public schools administrations had all summer to think of solutions, and it seriously looks like most of them just sat around and hoped it would just go away
    I'm going to add this caveat.
    My belief is that the local school districts did not address this issue was due to the fact that the State Board of Education was working on a unified approach state wide. Of course this made sense to these local administrators as their students would be coming into contact with students outside of their districts through athletics as well as other functions. By all indications Joy Hoffmeister was displaying the leadership that was lacking in the executive branch. The State Board however thought it best to issue non binding recommendations instead of mandates.
    This lack of leadership on the part of the State Board has resulted in local districts facing the type of problems reported in the State Impact piece, written last month.
    https://stateimpact.npr.org/oklahoma...ral-districts/

771 new cases today; 7-day rolling average now 810.

13 more reported deaths.

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    I'm going to add this caveat.
    My belief is that the local school districts did not address this issue was due to the fact that the State Board of Education was working on a unified approach state wide. Of course this made sense to these local administrators as their students would be coming into contact with students outside of their districts through athletics as well as other functions. By all indications Joy Hoffmeister was displaying the leadership that was lacking in the executive branch. The State Board however thought it best to issue non binding recommendations instead of mandates.
    This lack of leadership on the part of the State Board has resulted in local districts facing the type of problems reported in the State Impact piece, written last month.
    https://stateimpact.npr.org/oklahoma...ral-districts/
    fair enough

4. Default Re: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

I just saw the new case and deaths graphs on Oklahoma Source.

The rolling average deaths line is going the right direction.

And having 3 days of the rolling average data including rapid tests the new case line is flat when I expected it to be heading upward drastically.

Good information about Sweden, clears up some misconceptions that have been around, and herd immunity.

Why ‘herd immunity’ is a distraction

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Good information about Sweden, clears up some misconceptions that have been around, and herd immunity.

Why ‘herd immunity’ is a distraction
    +1 May Sweden and herd immunity be given The Walk of Shame in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    Why are you dodging the question about people who work or live in intergenerational households?
    There is no question they should take precautions, such as masking and social distancing when at home or work.

Flat is not good our cases seem like they should be going down by now. Aren't we near the top in total cases per 100,000 population and in rate of positive test. In the last 2 months have we had 3 days in a row that have been below 700 cases?

Quote Originally Posted by kukblue1 View Post
    Flat is not good our cases seem like they should be going down by now. Aren't we near the top in total cases per 100,000 population and in rate of positive test. In the last 2 months have we had 3 days in a row that have been below 700 cases?
    Ah, letting great be the enemy of good. Any progress is good, given the apathy towards the virus now.

10. Default Re: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

Do remember that the last three days included rapid tests. Flat is good when you add a new class of results and it stays flat. I expected a much larger jump by adding them. And the metro areas that have mask mandates are dropping. Statewide we don’t have such mandates and I was in a handful of smaller towns Monday and didn’t see a mask anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    Once again, you can't run from the fact that 80% of the covid deaths happen to people 65 or over. I can't help it society is not doing a good job of looking out for them or they're not always doing their part to protect themselves. I'm sorry if some people find that masking up or social distancing at home isn't acceptable. But if masks work, they will work whether at home or when out.

Interesting that in Minnesota the age group with the most deaths are in their 80s. Second greatest is in their 90s. More Minnesota people in their 100s died than in their 40s. They were done with grand parenting if in nursing homes. The expected life expectancy is 79. Probably Oklahoma isn't much different.

Only around 1.24% of deaths happen to those under 36. As time goes on with this new virus we'll get a better idea of how bad and lasting the after effects are that happen to some people.
    Not running from any facts. Here are some more. More than 80% of people who contract it have no to mild symptoms. So what? How does that help the 20% for whom it is serious?

I'm also aware of the death rate, but as I have stated to you and others here repeatedly with absolutely no response, the severity of the virus is not wholly determined by who dies from it.

It's actually a bit onerous for you to suggest that grandparents raising kids in their home should wear masks all day at home. Does that seem logical? Also, there is eventually a limit to how prolonged exposure can be mitigated by masks.

There aren't enough cans of Lysol or anti-germ wipes available to realistically protect someone who is living in the same household, with prolonged exposure.

I'm not really understanding why you are choosing this hill to die on. Individual responsibility is certainly important, but public policy is more important. It is a lot easier to control what you can when policy partners with you, such as, not forcing children back into a high-risk environment for community spread for prolonged periods of time on a daily basis.

I will never understand the lengths that some go to on this forum to attempt to deflect, minimize, and even completely ignore what is commonly known at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Robertson View Post
    Do remember that the last three days included rapid tests. Flat is good when you add a new class of results and it stays flat. I expected a much larger jump by adding them. And the metro areas that have mask mandates are dropping. Statewide we don’t have such mandates and I was in a handful of smaller towns Monday and didn’t see a mask anywhere.
    We are currently 3rd in new cases per 1 million people. I just don't see how that is good any way you slice it.

We are currently 3rd in new cases per 1 million people. I just don't see how that is good any way you slice it.
    Well, we are including new testing that some states may not be including...I don't know if all states are using the rapid tests.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    Not running from any facts. Here are some more. More than 80% of people who contract it have no to mild symptoms. So what? How does that help the 20% for whom it is serious?

I'm also aware of the death rate, but as I have stated to you and others here repeatedly with absolutely no response, the severity of the virus is not wholly determined by who dies from it.

It's actually a bit onerous for you to suggest that grandparents raising kids in their home should wear masks all day at home. Does that seem logical? Also, there is eventually a limit to how prolonged exposure can be mitigated by masks.

There aren't enough cans of Lysol or anti-germ wipes available to realistically protect someone who is living in the same household, with prolonged exposure.

I'm not really understanding why you are choosing this hill to die on. Individual responsibility is certainly important, but public policy is more important. It is a lot easier to control what you can when policy partners with you, such as, not forcing children back into a high-risk environment for community spread for prolonged periods of time on a daily basis.

I will never understand the lengths that some go to on this forum to attempt to deflect, minimize, and even completely ignore what is commonly known at this point.
    So what would you have us do? Just give us your plan to combat this going forward.

There was no reason to expect a dramatic jump (although as I feared this change will be used to downplay our current numbers situation). This article about it states that there have been ~5,000 positive rapid test results that haven't been included up until now. Compare that to the nearly 67,000 positive test results we've had through the PCR testing and it was clear it was only going to be a small fraction of our new reported cases.

https://www.koco.com/article/osdh-in...-time/33960521

Quote Originally Posted by jedicurt View Post
    thank you for the information. glad to know that some schools took precautions. that seems to be the biggest problem through all of this, very few people want to actually look at potential problems and solve them. the public schools administrations had all summer to think of solutions, and it seriously looks like most of them just sat around and hoped it would just go away
    I don't think this is a fair comparison. There are a number of advantages private schools have in all of this. They have smaller class sizes. They (potentially) have more space to make smaller "pods". They may be less likely to have students who live in cramped, crowded living spaces at home. They have the money to buy expensive air filtration systems, purchase additional sanitation supplies, etc. My spouse's public school needed bell covers for instruments and is having to have parents sew thousands of them which takes a while. It's not just laziness or ignorant wishful thinking.

17. Default Re: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

I just can’t live finding and dwelling on only the negative sides of things.

I just can’t live finding and dwelling on only the negative sides of things.
    I'm just tired of all the excuses. First it was not wearing mask. Well wearing them and sure they have gone down some but not a huge drop. Then it was kids going back to school. Now it's cause we are adding rapid test. SMH WE haven't had 3 days in a row in months with cases under 700 a day. People still are not getting it and still making excuses.

19. Default Re: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

I'm just tired of all the excuses. First it was not wearing mask. Well wearing them and sure they have gone down some but not a huge drop. Then it was kids going back to school. Now it's cause we are adding rapid test. SMH WE haven't had 3 days in a row in months with cases under 700 a day. People still are not getting it and still making excuses.
    The virus is here and there are real reasons it spreads. If you’re not going to be at all happy until numbers drop drastically and not just moderate and you ignore any positives and just dwell on negatives then be prepared to be unhappy for months. Because that’s what we’re in for.

In fairness, this isn’t an easy virus to contain. There were a lot of folks in this thread spiking the football when Europe contained the first wave, but that continent is now in the middle of a fairly significant 2nd wave, and there’s less political willingness to order new lockdowns. So I’d imagine they will continue to see increased case counts.

There’s only a small handful of countries that have dealt with it successfully and they are all (a) authoritarian; (b) island nations; (c) have recent experience with Viruses or (d) have some combination of the the above.

Just seems like Westernized Democracies aren’t designed to handle this type of threat. And that’s not necessarily a bad thing. We enjoy a lot of freedoms they don’t have in Russia or China. But those freedoms can prove costly when dealing with a collective problem.

21. Default Re: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

Quote Originally Posted by rwalker View Post
    In fairness, this isn’t an easy virus to contain. There were a lot of folks in this thread spiking the football when Europe contained the first wave, but that continent is now in the middle of a fairly significant 2nd wave, and there’s less political willingness to order new lockdowns. So I’d imagine they will continue to see increased case counts.

There’s only a small handful of countries that have dealt with it successfully and they are all (a) authoritarian; (b) island nations; (c) have recent experience with Viruses or (d) have some combination of the the above.

Just seems like Westernized Democracies aren’t designed to handle this type of threat. And that’s not necessarily a bad thing. We enjoy a lot of freedoms they don’t have in Russia or China. But those freedoms can prove costly when dealing with a collective problem.
    Very well said.

22. Default Re: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

Oklahoma Source just posted the hospitalizations graph and the rolling average is also sloping down. It has been at about the same slope since late July.

That will be a graph that will be a bit harder to correlate now. We might have more “official” cases, but the new methodology won’t change the way hospitalizations are measured.

24. Default Re: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

Quote Originally Posted by d-usa View Post
    That will be a graph that will be a bit harder to correlate now. We might have more “official” cases, but the new methodology won’t change the way hospitalizations are measured.
    For at least a month it will be.

The virus is here and there are real reasons it spreads. If you’re not going to be at all happy until numbers drop drastically and not just moderate and you ignore any positives and just dwell on negatives then be prepared to be unhappy for months. Because that’s what we’re in for.
    You mean the New Normal which I got ripped apart for saying a month ago. Yeah go back and look.

Thread Information