Widgets Magazine
Page 190 of 455 FirstFirst ... 90140185186187188189190191192193194195240290 ... LastLast
Results 4,726 to 4,750 of 11357

Thread: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

Default Re: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Hausfrau View Post
    Also, now is not the time to learn to drive an ATV or get up on that old wooden ladder to clean the debris out of the gutters...
    Thanks for your excellent posts.

STAY SAFE WEAR MASKS

If I see the governor in person, can I legally spit in his face? Asking for a friend.

Ya. That's all I've got today.

Yesterday, I whipped up a fancy spreadsheet of all the data outside of the executive order report. I can make some graphs or whatever. But... I just can't even today.

Repost, but read this analysis in case you missed it.
    (Spoiler alert. We're doomed)
    https://twitter.com/koko_vivian/stat...663172096?s=19

3. Default Re: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    At one point, I had only known a handful of people. In the last week, suddenly about a dozen people in my orbit have announced they have it, including someone in my family.

Not to be ominous about it, but if you don't know anyone yet, you will very soon.
    I'm of the opinion that, with the virus as transmissible as it seems to be, sooner or later we will all be exposed to it. It just becomes a question of when. All we can do is try to delay the inevitable until either treatment methods become good enough to make exposure less risky, or a preventative vaccine is created.

Quote Originally Posted by MadMonk View Post
    I'm of the opinion that, with the virus as transmissible as it seems to be, sooner or later we will all be exposed to it. It just becomes a question of when. All we can do is try to delay the inevitable until either treatment methods become good enough to make exposure less risky, or a preventative vaccine is created.
    It doesn't have to be this way. Oklahoma had more cases in the UK, German, and Italy combined.

5. Default Re: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    At one point, I had only known a handful of people. In the last week, suddenly about a dozen people in my orbit have announced they have it, including someone in my family.

Not to be ominous about it, but if you don't know anyone yet, you will very soon.
    True. A couple weeks ago I was the only person I knew that has had it. Now it’s up to 8 or 9.

Hospitalizations up again today. Seriously what will it take before we take serious action. Serious as is more then just wearing a mask. Rolling back opening. A line getting into the Hospital. No more hospital beds. Somone Stitt knows gets really sick. All that is coming.

Hospitalizations rose to 561 (+15 increase from yesterday) just one short of the record high of March 31st.

Yeah, this stance has been disproven by many countries and communities around the world. There are clear steps we can all take to reduce spread. Moreover, considering it's dubious how long immunity lasts, getting it once may not mean much either (note: I tend to believe there is more immunity than the recent study in the news suggested, but it may vary on severity of symptoms). Unfortunately, our next battle after anti-makers will be to (and this is depressing to even type) convince people to take the vaccine. If people don't take it then we won't even be able to move past the pandemic once there's a cure. Our country and leadership has been pathetic and that's why some citizens are saying we can't really do anything when we can.

9. Default Re: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

^^ Dan, you're correct. If it's anything like people getting the annual flu shot (which I do), we could be in trouble. So many people don't, and then the sheer process of rolling out vaccine, look at the difficulty of people getting tested.

^

We already have a bunch of people on this very site saying they won't get the vaccine even before one is completely tested and made widely available.

This is what happens when you have a concerted effort to discredit science and scientists.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    ^

We already have a bunch of people on this very site saying they won't get the vaccine even before one is completely tested and made widely available.

This is what happens when you have a concerted effort to discredit science and scientists.
    I am one of those who won't take it. I am not anti-science. I am anti-rushed vaccine. I am up to date on every vaccine I can be, aside from the flu. I will get the COVID vaccine, just not right after it is made available.

^

I'm just gonna leave this here for anyone who is interested. It's 5 years old, came out during the measles outbreak, when you may recall people were still refusing to get boosters or MMR titers. The thrust of the article? We aren't fighting over facts, though we like to believe we are. We are fighting over values, and perceived threats to those values.
    https://www.americanscientist.org/bl...ing-of-science

Quote Originally Posted by jonny d View Post
    I am one of those who won't take it. I am not anti-science. I am anti-rushed vaccine. I am up to date on every vaccine I can be, aside from the flu. I will get the COVID vaccine, just not right after it is made available.
    As has been stated over and over and over...

Any vaccine would be thoroughly tested before it is made widely available.

You have no idea how long it will be tested and how safe it will be and you are already saying you won't take it.

As has been stated over and over and over...

Any vaccine would be thoroughly tested before it is made widely available.

You have no idea how long it will be tested and how safe it will be and you are already saying you won't take it.
    If they are talking about 1 later this year, how is that normal course of determining the efficacy of a vaccine?? Don't most take years to develop, not months? Normal vaccines take waaaayyyyy longer than the vaccines for this virus are looking like. Combining steps scares me, a bit. Not off of science, but off of 1 vaccine.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...d-vaccine.html

I posted this before but you should check out the national geographic link for a better understanding of the clinical trial process.

https://www.okctalk.com/showthread.p...62#post1128762

This is a really good podcast with disinformation expert Renee DiResta on how anti-vaxxers are sowing coordinated disinformation: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcas...=1000473857063

Gov. Stitt has made a big deal out of the fact that Oklahoma has a relatively low number of cases per capita compared to other states.

That is rapidly changing.

Yesterday, we had the 11th most per capita positive new cases out of the 50 states:

1 Arizona 587
    2 Louisiana 478
    3 South Carolina 431
    4 Florida 428
    5 Texas 381
    6 Nevada 358
    7 Alabama 349
    8 Georgia 320
    9 Mississippi 290
    10 Arkansas 263
    11 Oklahoma 251
    12 California 242
    13 Tennessee 222
    14 North Carolina 183
    15 Idaho 177
    16 Wisconsin 166
    17 Nebraska 164
    18 Utah 140
    19 Kentucky 128
    20 Maryland 121

Whenever I come to this thread it makes me so Happy.

Lost Ogle tweeted something interesting yesterday at 11.

Stitt scheduled a last-minute Covid-19 press conference for 10:15AM today.

Well that's not ominous.

Also, Walmart will now require facemasks in all stores nationwide, including Sam's Club

https://www.yahoo.com/news/walmart-s...144124501.html

Does anyone know if you can download past data from that looker-dashboards page. I know they have daily reports, but I'm a little bit behind on some of the data and would like to find past zip code numbers.

23. Default Re: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

Stitt scheduled a last-minute Covid-19 press conference for 10:15AM today.
    Bit odd too. It is virtual and wasn't announced on his facebook page.

24. Default Re: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

Where can I watch this press conference?

KOCO's website is streaming it (hasn't started yet).

Thread Information