Widgets Magazine
Page 262 of 455 FirstFirst ... 162212257258259260261262263264265266267312362 ... LastLast
Results 6,526 to 6,550 of 11357

Thread: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

Default Re: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    Man, you must have some really unlucky family members and friends that you keep mentioning (not doubting what you’re saying, it’s just surprising how it varies from person to person). I knew the likely OKC patient zero who was in his 60s and died with a few complications and the fact that he was one of the first people treated here didn’t help. My wife knows one other person that’s about 40 who had an extremely rough time and lost an arm because of it. Outside of that we know about 40-50 people, maybe more, in multiple age brackets who’ve had it all of which had varying degrees of symptom severity but the common thread is that they’ve all been completely fine after 1-2 weeks with no lingering symptoms or complications. All have gone back to living a normal life, exercising without issue, etc. it has to be a pretty unlucky and tiny fraction of the population that has any lasting effect from this...though those are of course the case you hear about so it seems a lot more widespread than it actually is.
    Would you like to talk to them? Happy to give you their number. We have had 800 "unlucky" Oklahomans killed. We have had nearly 60,000 Oklahomans "unlucky" enough to contract this. I cannot speak to how many of them experienced severe symptoms other than what I read about anecdotal cases in the media and what I hear about from my doctor. Didn't you have a relative die from Covid-19?

I don't know what you are trying to say here but if you have any doubt I'm happy to put you in contact with them so they can describe what happened to them. I hope you are not suggesting I'm making this up.

2. Default Re: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

Man, you must have some really unlucky family members and friends that you keep mentioning (not doubting what you’re saying, it’s just surprising how it varies from person to person).....Outside of that we know about 40-50 people, maybe more, in multiple age brackets who’ve had it all of which had varying degrees of symptom severity
    You think sooner guru is unlucky, Oklahoma has a reported case rate of 1.5% according to the Washington Post covid tracker and you know 40-50 people that have had it. Now that's unlucky. Personally, I know 5 people who have had it.

3. Default Re: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

I think part of the biggest problem with people taking this virus seriously is the inconsistency of the virus. Soonerguru, you have had family do very badly with this virus. PhiAlpha, you have known more people affected but to a lesser degree. I’m after more people have had my experience. Even though I had it and we’re 90% sure my wife did too we’d have never been sure if I hadn’t tested positive for antibodies for a while. I know or know of maybe 20 other people that have been tested for having known contact with a person that tested positive. About half of them tested positive. None of them had any symptoms. I still talk to co-workers and others who haven’t known or known of anyone that’s even tested positive. Yes, this virus can be very bad and is for some. But it’s hard to convince people to take something seriously that they never see for themselves. We live in a “prove it to me beyond any doubt that I can manufacture” world.

4. Default Re: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    I'm sure if you have a comorbidity before getting covid, all the negative health effects that particular comorbidity brought you before are either the same or worse. Its not a virus that kills people because their elderly. Being elderly just makes you statistically more likely to have a comorbidity.

Getting Covid is also a bad time to discover you have diabetes or heart disease. Its a "stress test" you had no time to prepare for.
    But that’s the really weird thing about this virus. As I’ve said before. I’m 61, I’m on meds for hypertension and high cholesterol, I’m 5’7” and weigh 220 so I really need to lose 40 pounds and my Dr has me logging my blood sugar levels daily because I’m right on the line of being diabetic. I had very minor symptoms. The after effects have been way more annoying than the week I was sick.

Quote Originally Posted by catcherinthewry View Post
    You think sooner guru is unlucky, Oklahoma has a reported case rate of 1.5% according to the Washington Post covid tracker and you know 40-50 people that have had it. Now that's unlucky. Personally, I know 5 people who have had it.
    I do know some more than a few people who don't live in OK...

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    Would you like to talk to them? Happy to give you their number. We have had 800 "unlucky" Oklahomans killed. We have had nearly 60,000 Oklahomans "unlucky" enough to contract this. I cannot speak to how many of them experienced severe symptoms other than what I read about anecdotal cases in the media and what I hear about from my doctor. Didn't you have a relative die from Covid-19?

I don't know what you are trying to say here but if you have any doubt I'm happy to put you in contact with them so they can describe what happened to them. I hope you are not suggesting I'm making this up.
    I referred to the family friend that died of it in my post and literally said that I have no doubt that what you're saying about the people you know is true so no reason to get bent out of shape. I'm saying that every single person you've mentioned seems to have suffered severe symptoms lasting weeks/months some of which have had long lasting effects which is crazy because I know a ton of people that have had it (hell based on exposure alone it would be hard to believe that we haven't had it at this point) and outside of one instance of someone dying early on and another having some major negative health effects, none of my contacts have had symptoms no worse than a cold or flu and have all completely recovered (suffering no long-term negative effects weeks/months later). It's nuts that experiences vary that much from person to person. Based on that, it seems like the people you know have been pretty unlucky in how negatively the virus has affected them.

As far as being lucky/unlucky, I don't think catching it is an unlucky thing at this point especially based on how many people that I know who've had it. It would seem that your odds of catching it are greater than your odds of not catching it at this point. I would say the only truly unlucky ones are those that have died or severe cases since that seems like such a small percentage of those that have caught it.

I know 2 people that have had it. 2. 1 had minor symptoms, the other had none. I'm a 29 year old, and the people I know who had it were younger than me.

I referred to the family friend that died of it in my post and literally said that I have no doubt that what you're saying about the people you know is true so no reason to get bent out of shape. I'm saying that every single person you've mentioned seems to have suffered severe symptoms lasting weeks/months some of which have had long lasting effects which is crazy because I know a ton of people that have had it (hell based on exposure alone it would be hard to believe that we haven't had it at this point) and outside of one instance of someone dying early on and another having some major negative health effects, none of my contacts have had symptoms worse than a cold or flu and have all completely recovered (suffering no long-term negative effects weeks/months later). It's nuts that experiences vary that much from person to person. Based on that, it seems like the people you know have been pretty unlucky in how negatively the virus has affected them.

As far as being lucky/unlucky, I don't think catching it is an unlucky thing at this point especially based on how many people that I know who've had it. It would seem that your odds of catching it are greater than your odds of not catching it at this point. I would say the only truly unlucky ones are those that have died or severe cases since that seems like such a small percentage of those that have caught it.
    Gotcha. I didn't mean to overreact to your comment. Truthfully, I don't know that many people who have gotten it. More like friends of friends. I do know three people personally who did, two of which have no underlying conditions and are relatively young, and they were effected severely.

I utterly detest when people rely on their limited group of friends to post anything authoritative about the virus. I only posted about the two I know so well to dispel the same myths I have seen repeated on this thread endlessly. At least people have finally quit comparing this to the flu!

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    You don't need a detailed analysis to know that cases are increasing due to schools reopening and people interacting in bars without precautions. I'm very worried about what will happen when it turns cold outside.

Also, the number of deaths has been going up dramatically, both locally and nationally.
    Just to correct some misinformation the number of deaths nationally has not been “going up dramatically”. They’ve been steadily decreasing since a late July peak.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5F196271-D13C-4474-ABF3-0397F1D6232A.jpeg 
Views:	66 
Size:	232.1 KB 
ID:	16381

Quote Originally Posted by OKC_Chipper View Post
    Just to correct some misinformation the number of deaths nationally has not been “going up dramatically”. They’ve been steadily decreasing since a late July peak.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5F196271-D13C-4474-ABF3-0397F1D6232A.jpeg 
Views:	66 
Size:	232.1 KB 
ID:	16381
    They have gone up since the start of July and are currently averaging around 1,000 every day.

Oklahoma had more deaths in August than any other month.

It's ridiculous to suggest these aren't very bad and disturbing trends.

They have gone up since the start of July and are currently averaging around 1,000 every day.

Oklahoma had more deaths in August than any other month.

It's ridiculous to suggest these aren't very bad and disturbing trends.
    I didn’t dispute the Oklahoma aspect, the trends here aren’t good.

If you wanted to say nationally deaths are up since June then that would be true, but “going up dramatically” means currently going up and that’s not true. We’re trending down nationally in both deaths and cases.

Quote Originally Posted by OKC_Chipper View Post
    I didn’t dispute the Oklahoma aspect, the trends here aren’t good.

If you wanted to say nationally deaths are up since June then that would be true, but “going up dramatically” means currently going up and that’s not true. We’re trending down nationally in both deaths and cases.
    How about "have gone up dramatically and now have levelled off at a ridiculously high level considering we've had a full 6 months to deal with this?"

How about "have gone up dramatically and now have levelled off at a ridiculously high level considering we've had a full 6 months to deal with this?"

Not sure masking up is working. It might just have to run it's course. Pretty much everyone I see when I go inside a store has a mask on. I just don't think these masks help much if any. Pretty sure this virus is going to run it's course masks or not. Seems to me if the masking up was working we would be on a serious downward trend.

I didn't see but a very few people masking up on the White House Lawn the other night. Not arguing that this isn't a seriously wicked virus just don't believe that masks are slowing this thing down much if any.

14. Default Re: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

Quote Originally Posted by OKCRT View Post
    Not sure masking up is working. It might just have to run it's course. Pretty much everyone I see when I go inside a store has a mask on. I just don't think these masks help much if any. Pretty sure this virus is going to run it's course masks or not. Seems to me if the masking up was working we would be on a serious downward trend.

I didn't see but a very few people masking up on the White House Lawn the other night. Not arguing that this isn't a seriously wicked virus just don't believe that masks are slowing this thing down much if any.
    Or without masks the trends could be going up exponentially. I don’t have the answer and neither do you. But we have to try everything we think will control the spread.

Masks work -- if people wear them. Where they are worn, new cases go down. Where they are not, they go up. This isn't rocket surgery. It doesn't work when some country yokel superintendent says, "We have to go back to school, but people should decide if they want their kids to wear masks." It doesn't work when hundreds of college kids crowd a dance floor or bar without masks.

It doesn't work if people go to church without masks, or host a massive family reunion.

Other countries have been able to abate this. I refuse to believe the US is beyond doing the basic things to get this under control, but maybe it's just too tall of an order for a nation that considers itself exceptional.

16. Default Re: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

Gotcha. I didn't mean to overreact to your comment. Truthfully, I don't know that many people who have gotten it. More like friends of friends. I do know three people personally who did, two of which have no underlying conditions and are relatively young, and they were effected severely.

I utterly detest when people rely on their limited group of friends to post anything authoritative about the virus. I only posted about the two I know so well to dispel the same myths I have seen repeated on this thread endlessly. At least people have finally quit comparing this to the flu!
    I wouldn’t say very much that I post I consider authoritative. But I think even in this huge, highly interactive world most people rely on what they personally see with their own eyes as the way things really are. And based on people I know and many posts I read on many forums many people just haven’t really seen this virus. That is what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Robertson View Post
    I wouldn’t say very much that I post I consider authoritative. But I think even in this huge, highly interactive world most people rely on what they personally see with their own eyes as the way things really are. And based on people I know and many posts I read on many forums many people just haven’t really seen this virus. That is what it is.
    Yeah. Just like my friend said in March: Okies are no match for an invisible enemy. By that measure we are actually doing ever so slightly better than might have been expected.

if Stitt had a modicum of leadership we may not be in the top 10 in the nation in cases per capita right now.

18. Default Re: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

Yeah. Just like my friend said in March: Okies are no match for an invisible enemy. By that measure we are actually doing ever so slightly better than might have been expected.

if Stitt had a modicum of leadership we may not be in the top 10 in the nation in cases per capita right now.
    It’s so easy to blame a person when the real problem is the PEOPLE.

19. Default Re: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

It’s so easy to blame a person when the real problem is the PEOPLE.

I blame both.

21. Default Re: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

I blame both.
    OK. I’m down with that.

Every page. Every single page of this thread we have to have one of these posts. Hundreds of posts, studies, and research. Still, every page. *face palm*

23. Default Re: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    Every page. Every single page of this thread we have to have one of these posts. Hundreds of posts, studies, and research. Still, every page. *face palm*
    True.

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    Well I guess we can throw out the numbers on the death count as they are about as inaccurate as can be according to the CDC. Now they say only 6% of the reported deaths are actually from the Covid Virus. What a huge sham this has been. It appears that the people have been mislead in a big way.

If you are under 65 and in decent health you are not dying from this virus. Sure there will be a very rare exception but if your healthy and under 65 the chances of you dying from this virus is so small it doesn't even register.

Well I guess we can throw out the numbers on the death count as they are about as inaccurate as can be according to the CDC. Now they say only 6% of the reported deaths are actually from the Covid Virus. What a huge sham this has been. It appears that the people have been mislead in a big way.
    literally not what the cdc said...

the CDC did not say the death rate of Covid-19 among those currently reported is only 6%... it says that 6% of the deaths have been in people not over age 65, and not 18 and older with an underlying health condition.
    here is what they are actually saying. the US is divided into two categories... one category makes up 37.6% of the population (92.6 Million people).. that group is everyone over age 65, and everyone over age 18 with an underlying health condition. everyone else is in group two... the CDC is saying that 6% of deaths have come from group 2, and the other 94% have come from group 1. that is is... they are saying that the group they told us back in March had the highest chance of death, is overwhelmingly seeing the highest deaths.

this isn't that hard... try actually reading

UPDATE SINCE OP UPDATED theirs... yes. if you fall in that one group you are just as safe as the cdc said you would be before hand... but that doesn't mean we just condemn the nearly 40% of the population that doesn't fall into that group.
    Last edited by jedicurt; 08-31-2020 at 07:05 PM. Reason: edited because OP edited his post

Thread Information