Widgets Magazine
Page 384 of 455 FirstFirst ... 284334379380381382383384385386387388389434 ... LastLast
Results 9,576 to 9,600 of 11357

Thread: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

1. Default Re: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    I understand the process, and I understand it's a bit conspiratorial, but of the 56 deaths announced yesterday, only 2 were from February, and 26 from January. That means that half of those deaths were from November or before. I understand the process of investigation takes a while, but several months?

We know that the Stitt administration has done all sorts of things to fudge the data.

The timing of this lag in reporting coincided with the massive uptick in cases and hospitalizations. If the deaths were being reported on a timely basis, say, two to three weeks after the actual deaths, we would have been seeing as many as 100 Oklahomans a day die.

So you can dress me down all you want but waiting months for a death announcement is fishy to say the least.
    Appreciate the response. I’m “dressing you down” because it is conspiracy that’s not based on fact and it foments distrust in the system at a time when we need confidence in the system. We’re dealing with this BS from people on election integrity; we don’t need it here on this issue.

You may think it’s “fishy” but you also outright implied it was an intentional PR conspiracy to mislead people. That’s why I responded. It’s not fishy and it’s not a conspiracy. The process OSDH uses is based on systems they used long before COVID. There is no doubt it could be done better, but they have publicly acknowledged this repeatedly and have been entirely transparent that they believe the numbers will come close to the CDC’s. They’ve been working on improvements for a long time, but when you have severely strained resources, it takes time.

So again, you can hate the process—again, a process that was in place long before COVID—and there are good arguments to be made that it should be better in a lot of ways, but none of that means the people doing the hard, thankless work to get the data right are doing it because they’re part of a conspiracy to trick the public for PR reasons.

As my old friend Ted Lasso says, be curious, not judgmental. Try to understand why things are the way they are before advancing arguments intended to undermine people’s confidence in our system, which, by the way, is actually doing quite an amazing job.

Default Re: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

^

It's a funny thing about discussion forums and the internet in general... All opinions are often regarded equally.

But on certain subjects, there are always experts and insiders who just simply know more.

On this subject, King183 knows. And I for one really appreciate the information and insight.

3. Default Re: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

Appreciate the information king183!

4. Default Re: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

At the least this needs to show the OSDH that their investigation/reporting system in antiquated and broken. Hopefully it will get a much needed modernization.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    ^

It's a funny thing about discussion forums and the internet in general... All opinions are often regarded equally.

But on certain subjects, there are always experts and insiders who just simply know more.

On this subject, King183 knows. And I for one really appreciate the information and insight.
    Well now, suddenly, the Oklahoma "experts" have decided to report the CDC numbers, instead of their own. So now they are saying there are more than 7,000 Covid deaths in Oklahoma! That is a major, major difference.

They went from being a matter of weeks behind in reporting deaths to months. Why?

Either way, they were not reporting the scope of the death toll to the public. How many people have said, "Oklahoma is doing really great on deaths!" I've seen it here. I've seen it stated by the governor.

Now we know the state just wasn't reporting more than 2,500 deaths that had occurred over the last three months or more. That stinks to high heaven.

And, to King, I absolutely abhor conspiracy theories, and I appreciate your insider knowledge. Pardon me for not knowing that you had access to that as I don't know you.

Again, more than a third of Oklahoma's deaths were not reported to the public. Conspiracy or not, that is an outrage.

On edit: I agree we don't need people second-guessing the numbers as they did voting systems, but when you suddenly announce, "Hey, here's an additional 2,500 we didn't report" I don't think that is going to engender any kind of trust in the system.

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    Texas with no more mask mandate and 100% open starting March 10th

https://www.chron.com/news/houston-t...n-15994001.php
    The ole "taking off the parachute before you land" strategy.

Abbott won't rest until he gets a variant named after him.

Mayor Holt posted that okc is down to 178 in the hospital. Lowest since September 1
    Also means we dropped over 60% in a month.

St. Patrick's Day is coming up.

Hopefully we don't see a spike afterward.

9. Default Re: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

No college spring breaks this year so I imagine the bars for st patty's in Norman are going to be FULL

895 new cases today, the most in 10 days. 7-day rolling average 641.

0 additional deaths reported for the 2nd day in a row.

Hospitalizations are 404 (-23).

ICU is 118 (-17).

11. Default Re: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

Positivity rate is at 5%. Still good news there.

I believe the reason they have not shown additional deaths over the last 2 days is that they are now working towards reconciling the numbers with the CDC.

In fact, they are now showing the total CDC death count as "provisional" and at 7,122; the last reported number through the state was 4,534.

13. Default Re: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

Quote Originally Posted by FighttheGoodFight View Post
    No college spring breaks this year so I imagine the bars for st patty's in Norman are going to be FULL
    Why would Norman bars be packed?

14. Default Re: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

I believe the reason they have not shown additional deaths over the last 2 days is that they are now working towards reconciling the numbers with the CDC.

In fact, they are now showing the total CDC death count as "provisional" and at 7,122; the last reported number through the state was 4,534.
    The numbers starting when they do post them again could be interesting. And one more hurdle in trying to see trends.

15. Default Re: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Robertson View Post
    Why would Norman bars be packed?
    Usually St Pattys day is during spring break so all the college students are gone. O'Connells has a very large St. Pattys day tradition.

16. Default Re: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

Usually St Pattys day is during spring break so all the college students are gone. O'Connells has a very large St. Pattys day tradition.
    I'm pretty sure OU isn't holding in person classes. Am I wrong?

Some in-person classes are being held. It's kind of a hybrid model.

895 new cases today, the most in 10 days. 7-day rolling average 641.

0 additional deaths reported for the 2nd day in a row.

Hospitalizations are 404 (-23).

ICU is 118 (-17).
    The Oklahoman announced 87 new deaths with a total of 7122. One can only imagine what daily numbers truly looked like over the last few months, but we will never know.

St. Patrick's Day is coming up.

Hopefully we don't see a spike afterward.
    How do encourage people to hold St. Patrick's Day events OUTDOORS? Many often use parking lots anyway. They really need to close the indoor spaces and make them all outdoor events.

Some in-person classes are being held. It's kind of a hybrid model.
    I'm at the University of North Texas and we've gone almost completely online since the pandemic started. We just announced we'll be back in person in the fall, which should work (as long as people get the vaccine!). But, a lot of OU professors have been forced to teach in person from my understanding. I'm glad my university handled it better than OU as I've generally been supported. I basically haven't been on campus in a year, but I'm excited to return soon.

21. Default Re: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    How do encourage people to hold St. Patrick's Day events OUTDOORS? Many often use parking lots anyway. They really need to close the indoor spaces and make them all outdoor events.
    Where is that like button?

22. Default Re: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

A good amount are in person. Campus is packed as usual and all the bars on campus corner are usually busy with lines out the door.

23. Default Re: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    I'm at the University of North Texas and we've gone almost completely online since the pandemic started. We just announced we'll be back in person in the fall, which should work (as long as people get the vaccine!). But, a lot of OU professors have been forced to teach in person from my understanding. I'm glad my university handled it better than OU as I've generally been supported. I basically haven't been on campus in a year, but I'm excited to return soon.
    OU faculty could ask to only teach online and it was granted. I believe all who asked got it granted. So far OU has said no one has tested positive from COVID do to in class but I am also not sure how they could know that honestly.

Students wear masks at all times in classes and on campus. What they do off campus is probably not follow those rules based on what I have seen.

24. Default Re: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

A good amount are in person. Campus is packed as usual and all the bars on campus corner are usually busy with lines out the door.
    Ok. I thought it was more distance and less in person. I've learned something.

25. Default Re: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

OU faculty could ask to only teach online and it was granted. I believe all who asked got it granted. So far OU has said no one has tested positive from COVID do to in class but I am also not sure how they could know that honestly.

Students wear masks at all times in classes and on campus. What they do off campus is probably not follow those rules based on what I have seen.
    When I was that age there were no rules as far as we were concerned.

Thread Information