Widgets Magazine
Page 320 of 455 FirstFirst ... 220270315316317318319320321322323324325370420 ... LastLast
Results 7,976 to 8,000 of 11357

Thread: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

Default Re: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    The same could be said for all the categories.

Churches are closed rooms and most have pretty poor ventilation, mixing the airborne all around. People are singing, which proves to be especially problematic regarding the expulsion and projection of the virus and breath vapors/particulates. People keep trying to make this a Christian vs heathen issue... it isn’t. It’s just science.
    Yes, this! If bars *and* churches open the *right/scientific* way, fine, enforce the rules 100%, but it's just being done this way - fling the doors open, come one, come all, get drunk, get religion, get COVID-19. And churches should never have been exempted from the rules from the beginning, it's just ignorant and stupid to claim that everybody needs to attend church in-person, screw the rules/mandates.

1,267 new cases today; 7-day rolling average 1,011.

11 additional deaths; 7-day rolling average just over 13, which is an all-time high.

Hospitalizations 852 (-13); all-time high is 956.

ICU 322 (+21), an all-time high.

We al knew things would get worse in the fall and winter but it is absolutely harrowing how quickly those numbers have gone up.

4. Default Re: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

A few weeks ago there were 30 states with an Rt below 1. For the past few days there has been 1 state, Mississippi. Oklahoma has climbed to a tie for the second best Rt in the country with exactly 1.

Quote Originally Posted by C_M_25 View Post
    New Zealand is an island nation that has shut itself off from the world. Hardly an option for the US. Hong Kong might as well be a part of China. Vietnam: you got me there. However, they are also enforcing draconian measures to keep in check.

You guys are missing the point. These countries have it under control and the moment they get lax, covid comes back. We need a vaccine. Without it, we’re screwed for quite a while..
    Vietnam actually isnt that strict for the most part because I've bee stuck in Saigon for most of this year. They did do a pretty tight lockdown in part of the country March and most of April. Most places complied with it and all restaurants were take out only or they could seat 3 people inside the restaurant.

Pretty much all bars were closed tòo although some bars did ignore this because they would bribe the police. It was pretty rare though and I only know of a few that did this. People could still go out and do things but there was absolutely no where to go I basically worked online and sat in the park drinking beer and ignoring people shooting up.

There has also been a mask mandate since March but people dont follow it as much now. Maybe 80% of people wear mask. Its not draconian as you think it would be and nothing close to china (a lot of people stayed inside for months). Basically Vietnam didnt trust China and shut down flights right away and they did the same with europe after too many people showed up sick. They are lying about the numberbof deaths but it coudnt be too many because it would be obvious.

So far the had one full lockdown and another partial lockdown in August when most cities closed all bars, massage parlors and karaoke's. They acted quickly because it came from China and a lot of people in Vietnam dont like China so they actually listened to their government.

Most people arent acting like idiots despite the lower levels of hygeine and way fewer resources than most high income countries. Remember when I posted earlier in this thread and a bunch of people brushed off what I had to say. I lived in China for like 5 years and people still brushed off what I said and our leaders willingly chose to let people die. They even encouraged it so no wonder we are in this position.

We did the Trick & Treat rounds in our neighborhood. Fewer houses than usual, which is to be expected. I’m sure lots of at-risk households are sitting this one out. Mask wear was good by folks, lots of candy slides and other attempts at social distances candy delivery systems.

It was a balance between being completely safe, and giving the kids at least a small sense of “normal”.

Quote Originally Posted by Cocaine View Post
    Vietnam actually isnt that strict for the most part because I've bee stuck in Saigon for most of this year. They did do a pretty tight lockdown in part of the country March and most of April. Most places complied with it and all restaurants were take out only or they could seat 3 people inside the restaurant.

Pretty much all bars were closed tòo although some bars did ignore this because they would bribe the police. It was pretty rare though and I only know of a few that did this. People could still go out and do things but there was absolutely no where to go I basically worked online and sat in the park drinking beer and ignoring people shooting up.

There has also been a mask mandate since March but people dont follow it as much now. Maybe 80% of people wear mask. Its not draconian as you think it would be and nothing close to china (a lot of people stayed inside for months). Basically Vietnam didnt trust China and shut down flights right away and they did the same with europe after too many people showed up sick. They are lying about the numberbof deaths but it coudnt be too many because it would be obvious.

So far the had one full lockdown and another partial lockdown in August when most cities closed all bars, massage parlors and karaoke's. They acted quickly because it came from China and a lot of people in Vietnam dont like China so they actually listened to their government.

Most people arent acting like idiots despite the lower levels of hygeine and way fewer resources than most high income countries. Remember when I posted earlier in this thread and a bunch of people brushed off what I had to say. I lived in China for like 5 years and people still brushed off what I said and our leaders willingly chose to let people die. They even encouraged it so no wonder we are in this position.
    Appreciate your insights!

Quote Originally Posted by d-usa View Post
    It was a balance between being completely safe, and giving the kids at least a small sense of “normal”.
    Except this year instead of the "normal" razor blades in the candy you have to worry about, it could be contaminated with a deadly virus instead!

The strip in Stillwater was busy for Halloween night. At least 4 bars had a line out the door. Only a few people were wearing masks. Didn't want to see what it was like inside.

State epidemiologist's analysis demonstrates success of local mask ordinances. Enid, which does not require mask wear, is only 31 cases behind in surpassing Stillwater for cases.
    https://tulsaworld.com/news/state-an...home-top-story

1,349 new cases today; 7-day rolling average now 1,054.

8 more deaths reported.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    1,267 new cases today; 7-day rolling average 1,011.

11 additional deaths; 7-day rolling average just over 13, which is an all-time high.

Hospitalizations 852 (-13); all-time high is 956.

ICU 322 (+21), an all-time high.
    Pete, forgive me for this question, but I haven't followed this thread very closely. Are the quoted ICU numbers total ICU beds or total COVID ICU beds? If COVID ICU beds does this mean that if you go to the ICU with COVID you have about a 5% chance of death? Can anyone help clarify these questions for me?

Quote Originally Posted by HHE View Post
    Pete, forgive me for this question, but I haven't followed this thread very closely. Are the quoted ICU numbers total ICU beds or total COVID ICU beds? If COVID ICU beds does this mean that if you go to the ICU with COVID you have about a 5% chance of death? Can anyone help clarify these questions for me?
    Where are you getting the 5% number? Perhaps I am wrong, but I thought the survival chances are more dire once you enter the ICU. Perhaps I’m confusing ICU admissions with folks on ventilators.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    Where are you getting the 5% number? Perhaps I am wrong, but I thought the survival chances are more dire once you enter the ICU. Perhaps I’m confusing ICU admissions with folks on ventilators.
    13/332= 4%. I rounded up to 5%.

15. Default Re: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    The strip in Stillwater was busy for Halloween night. At least 4 bars had a line out the door. Only a few people were wearing masks. Didn't want to see what it was like inside.
    Watching the football game it looked like quite a few didn’t even have a mask around their neck. Knew it would be a wild one on Gameday and Halloween.

1,084 new cases today; 7-day rolling average is now 1,114.

9 additional reported deaths; 7-day rolling average almost 15, which is an all-time high.

We won't know about hospitalizations and ICU counts until this evening.

17. Default Re: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

Quote Originally Posted by FighttheGoodFight View Post
    Watching the football game it looked like quite a few didn’t even have a mask around their neck. Knew it would be a wild one on Gameday and Halloween.
    That's how I saw pretty much every football game Saturday. Fans and a lot of assistant coaches/trainers/staff/etc. on the sidelines don't even appear to have a mask with them all over the country. And many games may only have say 20-25 percent capacity but I also see a lot of upper level and end zone sections empty and lower level field side sections way too full.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Robertson View Post
    That's how I saw pretty much every football game Saturday. Fans and a lot of assistant coaches/trainers/staff/etc. on the sidelines don't even appear to have a mask with them all over the country. And many games may only have say 20-25 percent capacity but I also see a lot of upper level and end zone sections empty and lower level field side sections way too full.
    Yeah, I'm curious how many of these cases are related to football games.

Saw an article yesterday that said most americans have no idea where or how they got covid. That same study also said the contact tracing is failing as the community spread is out of control at this point. Ugh...

^

The Oklahoman routinely posts photos of high school football crowds and virtually none of the spectators are wearing masks and most are not socially distanced.

And it's the same for all the college student sections.

When you consider the number of games at those levels across the country, that has to be abetting the spread.

Not to mention that football coaches are terrible examples of mask-wearing for people around the country. They take off the masks every time they talk to someone... that's when it's most important to be wearing your mask. It's been disappointing that universities—places of education—don't seem to care the example their representatives set.

After much contemplation, I decided to cancel my annual big family Thanksgiving.

We have almost 20 between my four sisters and their kids and grandkids, and my siblings and I are all over 60 or very close.

I usually make a big deal out of it and I have a huge dining table where we can all sit together.... So, a major bummer not to celebrate in one place.

But I just read that Canada's Thanksgiving on Oct. 12th turned into a super-spreader and that is going to happen here as well. The worst possible thing would be to end up in the hospital as the tight supply of beds is only going to get worse.

22. Default Re: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

Tulsa now top 10 in ventilator use. https://www.publicradiotulsa.org/pos...pop=1#stream/0

23. Default Re: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

11/2/2020
    974 persons hospitalized (+122 from Friday)
    336 in ICU (+14 from Friday)
    Both are new records.

14.6% of current hospitalizations statewide are covid-related

This has got to get turned around soon. Somehow.

Good God, a new hospital record!? I've been without power for almost a week.. but I have a really bad feeling about the effects of the storm and power outage on the coming cases & deaths My elderly neighbor went to stay with a friend. Parents had my siblings stay with them for a few nights. Not to mention Halloween. I would expect to have some effect, even if small. And voting. So many lined up for hours for early voting, and of course tomorrow we'll have many, many more voting in person. The time change is another big factor that increases indoors time in my personal experience. Then of course... Thanksgiving.

Yeah given the nature of these spikes in the past, and the overall holiday schedule, I don't think we see this thing peak for another few weeks at the earliest, and probably don't hit pre-wave numbers until February

Thread Information