Widgets Magazine
Page 272 of 455 FirstFirst ... 172222267268269270271272273274275276277322372 ... LastLast
Results 6,776 to 6,800 of 11357

Thread: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

Default Re: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

Quote Originally Posted by oklip955 View Post
    As far as isolating those over 65yo, what about those close to 65, or 60? What if one person that age or around that age lives out in the country? What do they do for groceries and other needed items? No delivery services. Not everyone around that age has family close by, many have friends around the same age, or younger friends that have to deal with work, kids schooling at home, and other issues so not able to help. ARe older people and some of the elderly dont have computers or smart phones. They and I know of some who have never used a computer. What is the answer for them. Not all want to move into town, and sell their homes with land or enjoy living in a smaller town. Oklahoma has lots of smaller towns. Many of these don't have grocery stores or hardware stores. Anyway, just want to throw this out.
    well and it's not just people over a certain age. you would have to get those that have pre-existing conditions as well... so now we are up to 40% of the US population. so it's even a bigger issue than just the elderly.

2. Default Re: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

Quote Originally Posted by jedicurt View Post
    except that every medical expert in virology and epidemiology are saying that asymptomatic spread appears to be the biggest cause for spread.... so your article was wrong
    And this I’m a firm believer in. It’s why the CDC says there’s probably up to 10 times the number of active cases than what we know about. When I had it was before masks were even really being talked about. I went to work, stores, restaurants for the first week or so until the shut down not having a clue that I could be and maybe did spread it. There’s got to be hundreds of thousands of stories like mine. Even now but instead of not being expected to wear a mask they just refuse to.

Quote Originally Posted by oklip955 View Post
    Some parent groups of children in Edmond and Deer Creek schools are pushing for a return to traditional in classroom teaching. If this happens then how much more will the numbers go up. We can see what is happening on some college campus.
    Any estimate on numbers, these schools have thousands of students, it was likely some percentage of parents would be pushing for a return. It could be hundreds of parents and still be a small fraction of their overall population

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    Are you suggesting that no one from Payne County is in an OKC hospital? And again, how can people who are older completely prevent coming into contact with others? What if they have kids in their household?
    No, I'm not suggesting that.

There is nothing stopping people from masking up and/or social distancing at home, unless they're too stubborn to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCRT View Post
    Every person in the US that has had the virus and has good plasma should be required to donate. Then any person that has underlying conditions should be required to take the antibodies. Also anyone that has just small particles of the virus but not enough to spread it or get sick should not be counted in the daily numbers of positives. I read an article where a good % of the positives reported don't have enough of the virus to spread it or even show symptoms. Those positives could be thrown out the window and the numbers would come way way down. We could turn these numbers around in a hurry and everyone could get back to normal.
    I would like to see that article. Care to share?

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    No, I'm not suggesting that.

There is nothing stopping people from masking up and/or social distancing at home, unless they're too stubborn to do so.
    You are blaming old people. You have done this twice now and been called on it. You completely ignore the fact that people have pointed out that many 50 - 65 plus people have to work, have children at home, etc. As many as 20% of grandparents in the US are helping to raise their grandchildren.

I agree that the foolishness we saw at Sturgis and throughout the metro of people not wearing masks is a problem. But you keep citing this age isolation strategy as if it is a solution. Do you know how many multigenerational families live in cities and towns where kids are going to school in person, and in many cases not even required to mask up?

- The virus affects people who are young, seriously, and even fatally
    - The virus affects people who are middle aged, seriously, and even fatally
    - People of various ages cannot escape it if their children are going to school, or if they are at work for an employer that thinks COVID is a hoax, or a place where sick people are encouraged to work

Quote Originally Posted by d-usa View Post
    1) when did the numbers for Stillwater and the surrounding counties begin to rise?

2) I simply cannot understand the constant argument to just basically block all 65+ folks away until this is all over. How many grandparents are primary caregivers of children in this State? How many 65+ folks are still having to work full time? How many 65+ people are living at home with their kids and grandkids who are having to care for them while also having to work in the community and go to school? How many 65+ folks are living in multigenerational households? The whole argument just seems to boil down to “its old people’s job to keep safe, why should I have to do anything about them”.
    1. I don't know, but 4 after hundreds of new positive cases isn't much of a rise after it had been 2 or 3.

2. It's not hard to understand. This is because in Oklahoma, 80% of covid deaths happen to those 65 or over. It's a good thing covid hospitalizations aren't going up in Oklahoma.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    1. I don't know, but 4 after hundreds of new positive cases isn't much of a rise after it had been 2 or 3.

2. It's not hard to understand. This is because in Oklahoma, 80% of covid deaths happen to those 65 or over. It's a good thing covid hospitalizations aren't going up in Oklahoma.
    Why are you dodging the question about people who work or live in intergenerational households?

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    You are blaming old people. You have done this twice now and been called on it. You completely ignore the fact that people have pointed out that many 50 - 65 plus people have to work, have children at home, etc. As many as 20% of grandparents in the US are helping to raise their grandchildren.

I agree that the foolishness we saw at Sturgis and throughout the metro of people not wearing masks is a problem. But you keep citing this age isolation strategy as if it is a solution. Do you know how many multigenerational families live in cities and towns where kids are going to school in person, and in many cases not even required to mask up?

- The virus affects people who are young, seriously, and even fatally
    - The virus affects people who are middle aged, seriously, and even fatally
    - People of various ages cannot escape it if their children are going to school, or if they are at work. for an employer that thinks COVID is a hoax, or a place where sick people are encouraged to work
    Once again, you can't run from the fact that 80% of the covid deaths happen to people 65 or over. I can't help it society is not doing a good job of looking out for them or they're not always doing their part to protect themselves. I'm sorry if some people find that masking up or social distancing at home isn't acceptable. But if masks work, they will work whether at home or when out.

Interesting that in Minnesota the age group with the most deaths are in their 80s. Second greatest is in their 90s. More Minnesota people in their 100s died than in their 40s. They were done with grand parenting if in nursing homes. The expected life expectancy is 79. Probably Oklahoma isn't much different.

Only around 1.24% of deaths happen to those under 36. As time goes on with this new virus we'll get a better idea of how bad and lasting the after effects are that happen to some people.

Our total case count is really disturbing when comparing to other state curves across the US. I just looked qualitatively at a nice cross-section of states and most are showing a clearly defined second peak where they were dropping off the other side. Our curve has shown the second peak, but we’re now flat and trending up.

I will say this. We just finished up a road trip and are spending some time on the emerald coast (don’t judge me. We’re doing a really great job social distancing, btw, and we’re getting some much needed time away.) Anyway, I was really surprised in how other states are managing this vs Oklahoma. Every place we stopped at, there were clear and defined signs everywhere saying “masks are mandatory here.” People in Arkansas, Mississippi, and evening Tennessee are doing a much much better job than we are with this. Keep in mind, however, that we really didn’t make many stops. One, maybe 2, in each state so it may not be entirely representative...

Quote Originally Posted by C_M_25 View Post
    Our total case count is really disturbing when comparing to other state curves across the US. I just looked qualitatively at a nice cross-section of states and most are showing a clearly defined second peak where they were dropping off the other side. Our curve has shown the second peak, but we’re now flat and trending up.

I will say this. We just finished up a road trip and are spending some time on the emerald coast (don’t judge me. We’re doing a really great job social distancing, btw, and we’re getting some much needed time away.) Anyway, I was really surprised in how other states are managing this vs Oklahoma. Every place we stopped at, there were clear and defined signs everywhere saying “masks are mandatory here.” People in Arkansas, Mississippi, and evening Tennessee are doing a much much better job than we are with this. Keep in mind, however, that we really didn’t make many stops. One, maybe 2, in each state so it may not be entirely representative...
    I had the opposite feeling visiting Oregon and Washington. They were NOT fans of the mask, and didn't wear them in gas stations or grocery stores, unless forced to by employees. They have had enough of them, having them in effect since March. But yeah, it was only the PDX/Vancouver, WA area, so not fully representative, But it was crazy, considering how you hear about the protests and stuff up there.

Just 1 person's opinion, though.

Federal Task Force puts Oklahoma in red zone.

White House Coronavirus Task Force recommends stricter restrictions in Oklahoma
    https://www.koco.com/article/white-h...ahoma/33972778

I guess most of the Private Schools in OKC are completely open and the case counts are staying very low. Has anyone else heard the same?

14. Default Re: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    Federal Task Force puts Oklahoma in red zone.

White House Coronavirus Task Force recommends stricter restrictions in Oklahoma
    https://www.koco.com/article/white-h...ahoma/33972778
    Absolutely meaningless unless the leaders do something with it. Or to use to toss them out next election.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rwalker View Post
    I guess most of the Private Schools in OKC are completely open and the case counts are staying very low. Has anyone else heard the same?
    Where are you hearing that from? Anecdotal or fact based?

We have to get past people promoting wrong info that is spread by people without actual knowledge. Decisions made with erroneous input are worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Where are you hearing that from? Anecdotal or fact based?

We have to get past people promoting wrong info that is spread by people without actual knowledge. Decisions made with erroneous input are worthless.
    Our child is enrolled in one of them. So we have direct knowledge.

White House Coronavirus Task Force 9/6/20:

SUMMARY
    • Oklahoma is in the red zone for cases, indicating more than 100 new cases per 100,000 population last week,with the 9th highest rate in the country. Oklahoma is in the red zone for test positivity, indicating a rate above 10%, with the 4th highest rate in the country.
    • Oklahoma has seen an increase in new cases and an increase in test positivity over the last week.
    • The following three counties had the highest number of new cases over the last 3 weeks: 1. Tulsa County, 2. Oklahoma County, and 3. Cleveland County. These counties represent 42.5% of new cases in Oklahoma.
    • 65% of all counties in Oklahoma have moderate or high levels of community transmission (yellow or red zone), with 31% having high levels of community transmission (red zone). There is virus in rural and urban counties.
    • During the week of Aug 24 – Aug 30, 12% of nursing homes had at least one new resident COVID-19 case, 13% of nursing homes had at least one new staff COVID-19, and 4% of nursing homes had at least one new resident COVID-19 death.
    • Oklahoma had 146 new cases per 100,000 population in the last week, compared to a national average of 88 per 100,000.
    • Current staff deployed from the federal government as assets to support the state response are: 4 to support operations activities from FEMA; 8 to support epidemiology activities from CDC; 60 to support medical activities from VA; and 1 to support operations activities from VA.
    • Between Aug 29 - Sep 04, on average, 89 patients with confirmed COVID-19 and 88 patients with suspected COVID-19 were reported as newly admitted each day to hospitals in Oklahoma. An average of 84% of hospitals reported either new confirmed or new suspected COVID patients each day during this period; therefore, this may be an underestimate of the actual total number of COVID-related hospitalizations. Underreporting may lead to a lower allocation of critical supplies.

RECOMMENDATIONS
    • Require masks in metro areas and counties with COVID-19 cases among students or teachers in K-12 schools.
    • In university settings:
    • Increase testing capacity by expanding public-private partnerships; increasing the budget and capacity of public health labs; pooling specimens where appropriate; and utilizing all university, veterinary and research platforms for surveillance and testing of students and, if needed, the surrounding
    communities.
    • Require all universities and colleges to have a plan for both rapid testing and contact tracing of symptomatic students and periodic surveillance testing of students. Ensure quick turnaround times for results and the rapid isolation of cases and quarantine of contacts. Residential cases and contacts should not be sent home to isolate or quarantine.
    • Recruit college and university students to expand public health messaging and contact tracing capacity and ensure protection of local communities by strict mask wearing and social distancing off campus.
    • Universities and colleges should work with various student leaders and campus media to support compliance with recommendations.
    • Consider utilizing focused wastewater surveillance to detect cases early and to direct diagnostic testing and public health interventions.
    • Using the Abbott BinaxNOW, establish weekly surveillance in critical populations to monitor degree of community spread among K-12 teachers; staff working at nursing homes, assisted living, and other congregate living settings; and first responders.
    • Bars must be closed, and indoor dining must be restricted to 50% of normal capacity in yellow zone and 25% of normal capacity in red zone counties and metro areas. Expand outdoor dining options.
    • Tribal Nations: Continue enforcement of social distancing and masking measures in areas of increased transmission. Continue enhanced testing activities. Increase Abbott ID Now supplies to test individuals in positive households.
    • Specific, detailed guidance on community mitigation measures can be found on the CDC website.

18. Default Re: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

Our child is enrolled in one of them. So we have direct knowledge.
    Thanks for confirming that your claim was anecdotal based.

Quote Originally Posted by catcherinthewry View Post
    Thanks for confirming that your claim was anecdotal based.
    It’s okay.

Not everyone is in a position to know the facts about those schools.

oakdale district is also open 5 days a week ..

21. Default Re: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

It’s okay.

Not everyone is in a position to know the facts about those schools.
    When you find some in that position please let us know.

Quote Originally Posted by catcherinthewry View Post
    When you find some in that position please let us know.
    I’m sorry you’re not.

But some of us are.

The private school I work for has low numbers, but we understand that could change tomorrow. We spent the summer implementing dozens of risk mitigation strategies. Class sizes are small and socially distanced. Masks are required in all buildings at all times. Buildings are sanitized every night. Athletic teams practice in cohorts. We are starting to believe that the biggest reason for our early success is having a robust contact tracing team who can quickly identify, then isolate cases and quarantine contacts.

24. Default Re: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

Sorry you’re not.
    I have a kid at OU. Does that make me qualified to make blanket statements on public universities in Oklahoma?

Quote Originally Posted by RangersYear View Post
    The private school I work for has low numbers, but we understand that could change tomorrow. We spent the summer implementing dozens of risk mitigation strategies. Class sizes are small and socially distanced. Masks are required in all buildings at all times. Buildings are sanitized every night. Athletic teams practice in cohorts. We are starting to believe that the biggest reason for our early success is having a robust contact tracing team who can quickly identify, then isolate cases and quarantine contacts.
    thank you for the information. glad to know that some schools took precautions. that seems to be the biggest problem through all of this, very few people want to actually look at potential problems and solve them. the public schools administrations had all summer to think of solutions, and it seriously looks like most of them just sat around and hoped it would just go away

Thread Information