Widgets Magazine
Page 207 of 455 FirstFirst ... 107157202203204205206207208209210211212257307 ... LastLast
Results 5,151 to 5,175 of 11357

Thread: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

Default Re: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

Quote Originally Posted by kukblue1 View Post
    No love for Oklahoma on CNN tonight Texas 10,000 cases in Texas but also has a population of 29 million people Oklahoma have 1,000 cases but only a population of 4 million so I think we are actually worse shape than Texas. SMH
    Using your numbers, Oklahoma would be at 7250, assuming population of 29 million. So, less than 10,000 texas on 29 million population.

Maybe we should close our southern border w/texas.

Quote Originally Posted by emtefury View Post
    D-USA I don’t troll on here. I post my opinions and facts I know and research. An opinion contrary to yours or a fact that you don’t like is not trolling. I don’t have time to check everyone post and possible responses to my posts, so I check the forum every few days to see what is going on and respond if I have time.

About touching a mask and being infected. From what everyone on here is saying, the mask prevents fluids and droplets from infecting a person. The fluid or droplet is what contains the virus. When someone touches the fluid droplet with their hand (that was on their mask), then their hand is now infected. If that hand then goes into your eye nose or mouth, you now have the possibility of infecting yourself.

I don’t need to read or site a peer reviewed article for something that is common sense.
    I think you do because you're demonstrating a really poor understanding of how long this thing lives on surfaces and its main mode of contagion. Your "common sense" is about 4 months out of date, and reading up on research might serve to educate you to the point where you're no longer seen as a troll. Until then....

Quote Originally Posted by emtefury View Post
    I don’t need to read or site a peer reviewed article for something that is common sense.
    Says every PhD right before they are denied tenure.

4. Default Re: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

Quote Originally Posted by Bits_Of_Real_Panther View Post
    Using your numbers, Oklahoma would be at 7250, assuming population of 29 million. So, less than 10,000 texas on 29 million population.

Maybe we should close our southern border w/texas.
    Then our two big colleges wouldn't have football teams.

Quote Originally Posted by kukblue1 View Post
    No love for Oklahoma on CNN tonight Texas 10,000 cases in Texas but also has a population of 29 million people Oklahoma have 1,000 cases but only a population of 4 million so I think we are actually worse shape than Texas. SMH
    29/4 = 7.25 * 1000 = 7,250. No, we are not doing worse than Texas, at least off this metric.

6. Default Re: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    Then our two big colleges wouldn't have football teams.
    Ouch. But true.

Colorado just instituted a statewide mask ordinace and a trip to Lowe's yesterday was probably about 99% compliance. I met a friend for a drink and she suggested a bar that was more of an American flag T-shirt type establishment and compliance was about 2% (us) despite the bar pleading with the patrons to put masks on. Sad that these freedom fighters are going to get these businesses shut down and lose their license for non compliance.

How has the ordinance gone in Oklahoma City so far?

[QUOTE=jonny d;1130332]29/4 = 7.25 * 1000 = 7,250. No, we are not doing worse than Texas, at least off this metric.[/QUOT
    We are still close given the size of Texas

Only 209 new positive cases today and no additional deaths.

[QUOTE=kukblue1;1130339]
    Quote Originally Posted by jonny d View Post
    29/4 = 7.25 * 1000 = 7,250. No, we are not doing worse than Texas, at least off this metric.[/QUOT
    We are still close given the size of Texas
    Not really. We are, proportionately, doing BETTER than Texas. Your own stats prove it. Not saying OK is doing well, but your own stats you stated show OK is proportionately better than TX.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Only 209 new positive cases today and no additional deaths.
    Given the other dramatic increases of daily cases over the last week, seeing such a "low number" all of a sudden is certainly suspect.

I wouldn't be surprised, given the comments about long testing delays and backlogs, if we see additional "lumpiness" with the daily reports. When we set a record on Tuesday 7/14, It was expected IMHO. However, to then go on and set a new record on Wednesday, 7/15, was not. To then go on and log the top 3 all time high on Saturday, 7-18 was certainly not expected either.

Makes me think that a large chunk of backlog was cleared out with the Wednesday & Saturday reports.

What is interesting, is how quickly our expectations have changed. If 209 cases were reported anytime before June 12th, it would have been a new one day record.

From April 1 - Now, the new daily case count record has been broken on these days:

Hell, just 3 weeks ago a single day with over 500 cases would unprecedented.

Summarizing at the month level, we find the following if the current averages remain unchanged:

If July continues to average 604 cases/day, we will have 18,719 new cases by August 1st. (March - June had a combined total of 13,435 cases.)

If July continues to average 3.4 deaths/day, 104 Oklahomans will die by August 1st.

7 day rolling average started to decline. We usually get the big data dump on Tuesday’s so yesterday’s might not be too accurate.

I think we’ve peaked and a slow step down will start to occur. We only used 10% of hospital capacity. We’re fine.

https://twitter.com/mecoy/status/128...155243520?s=21

I highly doubt we've peaked. Effects of measures like masks, shutdowns of restaurants, etc. take a solid 2 weeks to show up in the stats. Using a Sunday to claim we're done is out of touch with the reality of testing timeframes. Tuesday's numbers will tell a lot.

See what wearing mask do. People started wearing them seriously over a week ago and numbers are back down. Ok now that I have that out of the way I still am taking the over set at 1275 cases for Tuesday. Are you over or under?

Went to homeland and Trader Joe’s and it was a 100% mask rate at both which was nice to see. You hear about the occasional jerk refusing to wear one and making a stink about it, but by and large, most people are compliant and just want to do the right thing.

Quote Originally Posted by gopokes88 View Post
    7 day rolling average started to decline. We usually get the big data dump on Tuesday’s so yesterday’s might not be too accurate.

I think we’ve peaked and a slow step down will start to occur. We only used 10% of hospital capacity. We’re fine.

https://twitter.com/mecoy/status/128...155243520?s=21
    We're "fine" if your only goal is to not overrun the hospitals (which is a good goal to have, obviously). Are all the deaths and illnesses not due to hospitals being too full meaningless?

Quote Originally Posted by pw405 View Post
    Given the other dramatic increases of daily cases over the last week, seeing such a "low number" all of a sudden is certainly suspect.

I wouldn't be surprised, given the comments about long testing delays and backlogs, if we see additional "lumpiness" with the daily reports. When we set a record on Tuesday 7/14, It was expected IMHO. However, to then go on and set a new record on Wednesday, 7/15, was not. To then go on and log the top 3 all time high on Saturday, 7-18 was certainly not expected either.

Makes me think that a large chunk of backlog was cleared out with the Wednesday & Saturday reports.

What is interesting, is how quickly our expectations have changed. If 209 cases were reported anytime before June 12th, it would have been a new one day record.
    Nah, I think and hope the media daily sensationalizing record high case totals and people responding with increased mask wear is starting to work. We'll know better in coming days.

20. Default Re: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    Nah, I think and hope the media daily sensationalizing record high case totals and people responding with increased mask wear is starting to work. We'll know better in coming days.
    Is the media sensationalizing the record days? I only see one small headline daily. I’ve thought for some time that part of the spread is due to the fact that in March and April every local newscast was COVID, COVID, COVID. While was annoying in a way but probably a good thing. Now heat, social unrest and such have an equal or greater share of your average news cast. I think this adds to so many people thinking it’s no big deal anymore. Check the three local news apps. I just did. 5 has a few COVID spots, 9 has a couple with basic today’s data, 4 had nothing.

Fear and death Always has peoples attention.

22. Default Re: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

Quote Originally Posted by brian72 View Post
    Fear and death Always has peoples attention.
    If it has everyone’s attention why so many reports of no or totally improper mask wearing, distancing or basically giving a **** about each other. I see a large number of people not paying any attention to this at all. Or still denying that it even exists.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Robertson View Post
    Is the media sensationalizing the record days? I only see one small headline daily. I’ve thought for some time that part of the spread is due to the fact that in March and April every local newscast was COVID, COVID, COVID. While was annoying in a way but probably a good thing. Now heat, social unrest and such have an equal or greater share of your average news cast. I think this adds to so many people thinking it’s no big deal anymore. Check the three local news apps. I just did. 5 has a few COVID spots, 9 has a couple with basic today’s data, 4 had nothing.
    I find it noteworthy that the online Oklahoman doesn’t mention the daily total in their headlines at all. It seems I always find a “new total” headline, but now a “X today” headline.

Quote Originally Posted by LocoAko View Post
    We're "fine" if your only goal is to not overrun the hospitals (which is a good goal to have, obviously). Are all the deaths and illnesses not due to hospitals being too full meaningless?
    You can’t stop death. Studies show it happens to 100% of people.
    Mortality for corona is low, especially when filtering out NY’s nursing home disaster.

You can only slow a disease down, can’t stop it either. And that comes with trade offs. Those in leadership can’t be narrow minded in their path. They must consider many factors. Too many want to stop the virus at all costs.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gopokes88 View Post
    You can’t stop death. Studies show it happens to 100% of people.
    Mortality for corona is low, especially when filtering out NY’s nursing home disaster.

You can only slow a disease down, can’t stop it either. And that comes with trade offs. Those in leadership can’t be narrow minded in their path. They must consider many factors. Too many want to stop the virus at all costs.
    Oh, i don’t know... measles were stopped until the ignorant started resisting getting inoculated. TB and polio come to mind. The plague. And many others that have been arrested because of good public policies and actions of adult acting leaders. The anti vaccine crowd loves disease and suffering by the masses I guess.

Thread Information