Widgets Magazine
Page 242 of 455 FirstFirst ... 142192237238239240241242243244245246247292342 ... LastLast
Results 6,026 to 6,050 of 11357

Thread: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

Default Re: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Robertson View Post
    There could not possibly be a worse situation for COVID spread than Sturgis. I couldn’t believe they were still having the rally this summer. STUPID!!!!
    And I love bike rallies. I went to many when I could ride and had my Harleys.
    i have a buddy who goes every year, and is going again this year. he said proudly," what are the odds of me actually catching it there."... my response. "well, what would have been the odds of you catching the other disease you have gotten there twice, and almost 5 years apart from each other." i of course had to also remind him that penicillin doesn't clear this one up....

Quote Originally Posted by jedicurt View Post
    i have a buddy who goes every year, and is going again this year. he said proudly," what are the odds of me actually catching it there."... my response. "well, what would have been the odds of you catching the other disease you have gotten there twice, and almost 5 years apart from each other." i of course had to also remind him that penicillin doesn't clear this one up....
    Anyone looking to buy a Harley should wait a month or so. Bound to be at least a few good deals as a result of COVID-19 unfortunately. I feel for the local residents. . .

397 and 2 new deaths

Quote Originally Posted by bbhill View Post
    Anyone looking to buy a Harley should wait a month or so. Bound to be at least a few good deals as a result of COVID-19 unfortunately. I feel for the local residents. . .
    I need to hurry and sell my Ultra Classic before the market is flooded! Although, the unfortunate reality is that the folks who practice the unsafe behaviors rarely suffer the consequences themselves. It's usually their friends, family, coworkers, and neighbors who suffer due to their selfishness.

By all means, watch this video interview of the teenage girl who shot the photo of the overcrowded hallway in the suburban Atlanta-area school. If you don't know the story, she was suspended for sharing the image to social media. The image went viral immediately. A day or two later, her suspension was reversed without explanation.

She is a great example of how poised Gen Z is in front of a camera, and how skilled they are at presenting clear, concise messaging, and just completely not putting up with obvious bull----. This is pretty much a must-see interview, because it exposes the idiocy and lack of planning by many communities to address basic safety issues with Covid, and the misguided attempt to create "normalcy" when that is really just out of reach right now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HI-Ny11ZcE

Quote Originally Posted by C_M_25 View Post
    Your advice is certainly valid as there is so much they we donÂ’t know and that we may never know. However, the numbers do not lie. The difference in how this virus affects old vs young is stark and dramatic. Not saying young people wonÂ’t have long term health issues from this, but the odds are much less than older folk. For reference, IÂ’m using 35 in my mind to divide young vs old here.

Also, if you want to take the CDCÂ’s estimates that this virus has affected nearly 10xÂ’s more people than what is reported, then itÂ’s entirely plausible that this virus could be burning itself out in the high density population centers.

Oh well. This is a debate that neither of us can win as there is too much we donÂ’t know. I only hope that itÂ’s burning itself out in places; however, my gut is telling me that thatÂ’s not true.

Also, I agree with you wholeheartedly about what could happen when schools start. ItÂ’s going to really screw the progress we made.
    Look at the data across every state/county in the US. The curve started rolling over in many of these areas when about 1 to 2 percent of the population are documented to have Covid. If you take the CDC's assumption that there are 10 people for every 1 person infected that would be 10 to 20 percent. Impossible for herd suppression? Yes, but only if were assuming everyone had zero immunity at the beginning. There is a lot we don't know about T-Cells and cross immunity from other viruses. I would give 100 percent credit to mitigation efforts if I didn't see this correlation and Sweden is a huge outlier that cannot be ignored. The only thing they have done is recommend mask and social distancing. They have 0 to 1 deaths a day now and their case count has crashed.

7. Default Re: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    By all means, watch this video interview of the teenage girl who shot the photo of the overcrowded hallway in the suburban Atlanta-area school. If you don't know the story, she was suspended for sharing the image to social media. The image went viral immediately. A day or two later, her suspension was reversed without explanation.

She is a great example of how poised Gen Z is in front of a camera, and how skilled they are at presenting clear, concise messaging, and just completely not putting up with obvious bull----. This is pretty much a must-see interview, because it exposes the idiocy and lack of planning by many communities to address basic safety issues with Covid, and the misguided attempt to create "normalcy" when that is really just out of reach right now.

CNBC reported the school reversed their suspension when there was overwhelming outcry from students and parents.

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    CNBC reported the school reversed their suspension when there was overwhelming outcry from students and parents.
    I'm somewhat sympathetic to the school for the suspension. I'm sure there's some technology policy that doesn't allow students to take photos of other students and post them on social media without their permission (I know in Edmond it's explicitly against their policy to photograph or film students or staff without permission). It's been a few years but we had to sign a handbook policy with our kids about this. If I had to guess the rule probably doesn't allow a lot of wiggle room for the administrator. However, this is one of those times that intent and context matter, so I'm glad they reversed the suspension.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post

I am sure the suspension had to do with child privacy acts and laws. But we will just forget that because it doesn't fit a narrative.

Schools will end up being a bad thing for the virus. It will spread like wildfire. You are right about that. But child privacy laws are heavy. I am glad her suspension was reversed.

10. Default Re: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    I'm somewhat sympathetic to the school for the suspension. I'm sure there's some technology policy that doesn't allow students to take photos of other students and post them on social media without their permission (I know in Edmond it's explicitly against their policy to photograph or film students or staff without permission). It's been a few years but we had to sign a handbook policy with our kids about this. If I had to guess the rule probably doesn't allow a lot of wiggle room for the administrator. However, this is one of those times that intent and context matter, so I'm glad they reversed the suspension.
    The reason I saw give for the suspension was that they had announced over the intercom that any criticism of the school would result in a suspension.

That’s exactly what it was.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbs...chool-hallway/

Quote Originally Posted by catcherinthewry View Post
    The reason I saw give for the suspension was that they had announced over the intercom that any criticism of the school would result in a suspension.
    Nah

Quote Originally Posted by jdizzle View Post
    Nah
    It's literally right there in the article:

On Wednesday, North Paulding's principal, Gabe Carmona, made an announcement to students, stating: "Anything that's going on social media that is negative or alike without permission, photography, that's video that's anything, there will be consequences."

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post

On Wednesday, North Paulding's principal, Gabe Carmona, made an announcement to students, stating: "Anything that's going on social media that is negative or alike without permission, photography, that's video that's anything, there will be consequences."
    And so were mentions of the school's social media policy and minors. Like I said, I am glad the suspension was overturned. But the social media policy should be very well known, as child privacy laws are not something to play with. Now, the principal saying that is stupid. The student meant no harm to students with the picture, so the right decision was made, in the end.

Isn't that guy one of the hydroxychloroquine club with the demon seed lady and that video that keeps (rightfully) getting pulled from youtube?

Isn't that guy one of the hydroxychloroquine club with the demon seed lady and that video that keeps (rightfully) getting pulled from youtube?
    Yes. Save this crap for QAnon.

17. Default Re: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

I know many other people that have had COVID are way worse off so I apologize if I’m whining but when I read about people having heart attacks and such weeks after being “recovered” nights like this concern me a bit. I’m sitting here soaking a tee shirt. I can feel the heat radiating from me. I also feel like someone is pushing on my chest trying to keep me from breathing. My temperature is 97.7 so no real fever at all. My oxygen level is a bit low at 90. This feeling happens about three days a week and the worrying that something is really wrong sucks. And I had a mild case that I believe was 5 months ago. Everyone needs to wear a mask and help get this virus over with!

I know many other people that have had COVID are way worse off so I apologize if I’m whining but when I read about people having heart attacks and such weeks after being “recovered” nights like this concern me a bit. I’m sitting here soaking a tee shirt. I can feel the heat radiating from me. I also feel like someone is pushing on my chest trying to keep me from breathing. My temperature is 97.7 so no real fever at all. My oxygen level is a bit low at 90. This feeling happens about three days a week and the worrying that something is really wrong sucks. And I had a mild case that I believe was 5 months ago. Everyone needs to wear a mask and help get this virus over with!
    I’m sorry to hear that Bill. Has your dr put you on any medicine/blood thinners? Have you had a covid test recently?

19. Default Re: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post

Isn't this just a bit anti- first amendment? I'd hate to think people would have to go straight to the media anytime there's something potentially wrong in schools. Perhaps the school administration should be reminded of consequences when there are questionable happenings they try to hide.

20. Default Re: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

Bill, get checked out and a test!

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    Isn't this just a bit anti- first amendment? I'd hate to think people would have to go straight to the media anytime there's something potentially wrong in schools. Perhaps the school administration should be reminded of consequences when there are questionable happenings they try to hide.
    Schools have the right, as in loco parentis, to restrict the civil liberties of students if it's in the interest of student health and/or welfare. In Tinker vs. Des Moines the court ruled that

School "must be able to show that [their] action was caused by something more than a mere desire to avoid the discomfort and unpleasantness that always accompany an unpopular viewpoint," allowing schools to forbid conduct that would "materially and substantially interfere with the requirements of appropriate discipline in the operation of the school."
    So yes, it does violate their First Amendment rights of students, but schools can do so in a limited range. See also Morse v. Frederick, also known as the "Bong Hits 4 Jesus" case

Quote Originally Posted by PoliSciGuy View Post
    Schools have the right, as in loco parentis, to restrict the civil liberties of students if it's in the interest of student health and/or welfare. In Tinker vs. Des Moines the court ruled that

So yes, it does violate their First Amendment rights of students, but schools can do so in a limited range. See also Morse v. Frederick, also known as the "Bong Hits 4 Jesus" case
    I used to start my civil liberties unit with all the student liberty cases. They were all about understanding their rights.

There’s often so much confusion among the public in the differences between the spirit of the 1st amendment (free exchanges of ideas) and the law of 1st amendment (which is complex, nuanced, and related to government suppression of speech).

23. Default Re: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

Quote Originally Posted by PoliSciGuy View Post

Thanks! Surely you don't think this should fall under that and have been supressed, do you?

Quote Originally Posted by jdizzle View Post
    Nah
    Did you read the article?

Interesting.

Thread Information