Widgets Magazine
Page 239 of 455 FirstFirst ... 139189234235236237238239240241242243244289339 ... LastLast
Results 5,951 to 5,975 of 11357

Thread: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

Default Re: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

Not to mention the big cities in California all have awesome weather.

2. Default Re: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

I’m getting a little off subject since this isn’t about Oklahoma City. But I think this demonstrates why people’s thinking and actions are our biggest problem with this virus. They are having the Sturgis Bike Rally next week as scheduled. And they’re expecting a pretty normal crowd of 250,000 people or so. Many events are outside but there’s a LOT of elbow to elbow partying inside a handful of huge bars. How can any sane person/people think that this is a good idea to go ahead with.

I wish I could go get obnoxiously drunk at a house party. I remember parties. And fun. Damn you, Covid-19!!!

I think if people adjust their expectations such that ALL (in person) FUN IS CANCELLED for 2020, it'll help us get through this faster.

I REALLY hope that some of these encouraging trends continue, but I think it will take 2-3 months to get to 100 cases/day. I'm pretty much assuming any family gatherings for Christmas will be unlikely.

4. Default Re: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

Quote Originally Posted by pw405 View Post
    I wish I could go get obnoxiously drunk at a house party. I remember parties. And fun. Damn you, Covid-19!!!

I think if people adjust their expectations such that ALL (in person) FUN IS CANCELLED for 2020, it'll help us get through this faster.

I REALLY hope that some of these encouraging trends continue, but I think it will take 2-3 months to get to 100 cases/day. I'm pretty much assuming any family gatherings for Christmas will be unlikely.
    I think it is encouraging but I worry that school starting might spike those back up a bit. I hope school can openly safely as possible.

Actually that makes it last longer just keep kicking the can down the road.

6. Default Re: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

Three months will be November. If we get back down to a hundred a day before next spring I’ll do flips down my street. Possibly naked! I don’t think we’ll get to that level until there’s a proven and widely administered vaccine.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by gopokes88 View Post
    What can? Herd immunity?

With all the delays and drops in testing, it really doesn't mean much right now and accomplishes even less:

Most of the coronavirus tests the U.S. does are worthless. But there's a solution that could actually work — and stop the spread.

The first is that we’re already missing tons of cases. According to CDC antibody data, our current PCR system is testing only enough people to detect about 10 percent of the total number of infections. “If everyone took an antigen test today — even identifying only 50 percent of the positives — we would still identify 50 percent of all current infections in the country,” Jha has explained. That’s “five times more than the 10 percent of cases we are likely currently identifying because we are testing so few people.”
    What if your viral load was too low on day five for the antigen test to detect it? Your infection probably wouldn’t be very transmissible yet. Then the next test you take, on day seven, would pick it up. And the person who took the PCR test still wouldn’t have the results.

“The vast majority of PCR positive tests we currently collect in this country are actually finding people long after they have ceased to be infectious,” Mina recently explained. “All we’re doing with all of this testing is clogging up the testing infrastructure, and essentially finding people for whom we can’t even act because they are done transmitting.”

Quote Originally Posted by gopokes88 View Post
    With no widely available effective treatment or vaccine, that's exactly the goal. We're just trying to bridge the gap between now and the development of treatments/vaccines, while trying to limit cases in an effort to prevent deaths and long term health complications.

As the above article explains, more cheap and rapid testing would actually be effective at containment, much more so than the current "kick the can" strategy, but we have decided to not go that route thus far.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    I didn't think about the lack of yards in CA.... I've been spoiled by using my backyard pretty extensively during the past few months.
    ha! I have spent much of the pandemic in LA with family because they have a yard (and LA weather) and I don't have a yard (or good weather) in Texas.

11. Default Re: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    ha! I have spent much of the pandemic in LA with family because they have a yard (and LA weather) and I don't have a yard (or good weather) in Texas.
    My ex grew up in Burbank. We spent a week or so with her family a few times. They had a smallish yard. Great weather. When her dad sold in the early 90s the 1500 sq ft house that needed a LOT of updating sold for a something like half a million.

12. Default Re: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

561 persons hospitalized (-82 from yesterday)

One good number for today. Hopefully it’s a sign of a trend.

Quote Originally Posted by C_M_25 View Post
    Looking at the various data, I’m starting to get cautiously optimistic that masks are starting to help the situation.
    Since the mask mandate it Stillwater, it has declined from 8th to the 12th city for covid cases. It will be a good test for masks after OSU classes resume Aug. 20. If OSU and Stillwater schools have to go back to online learning soon, then I'd say masks don't work well.

Do they have an easy source for the daily total test numbers and the percentage of positives? I’m cautiously optimistic that our backlog is going down and that our positive rate is decreasing. If masks did their thing, and people changed their behaviors, we just need to make it through schools opening up.

Quote Originally Posted by d-usa View Post
    Do they have an easy source for the daily total test numbers and the percentage of positives? I’m cautiously optimistic that our backlog is going down and that our positive rate is decreasing. If masks did their thing, and people changed their behaviors, we just need to make it through schools opening up.
    I have zero confidence opening schools up will do anything to improve the situation. In fact, it is a known superspreader event waiting to happen.

1. Children carry the virus.

2. Children are "more efficient spreaders" of the virus.

3. Under the best of circumstances, schools are petri dishes, with poor ventilation, crowded classrooms, etc.

The Moore and Edmond school boards are listening to politics, not science, in making their decisions to subject teachers, staff, and their families to this dreadful, deadly disease. This decision will literally kill teachers.

17. Default Re: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

Quote Originally Posted by d-usa View Post
    It is in the weekly report on the OK Gov Coronavirus site. So you can see it week by week.

2 weeks ago 10.4% Last week 8.9%.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    I have zero confidence opening schools up will do anything to improve the situation. In fact, it is a known superspreader event waiting to happen.

3. Under the best of circumstances, schools are petri dishes, with poor ventilation, crowded classrooms, etc.

The Moore and Edmond school boards are listening to politics, not science, in making their decisions to subject teachers, staff, and their families to this dreadful, deadly disease. This decision will literally kill teachers.
    I don't think it's going to be good. Here's a story from Georgia. It will be interesting to see what happens there.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/06/u...s-georgia.html

Well I for one am getting slightly hopeful very slightly by not seeing hospitalizations going up. I know there is a lag between cases and hospitals but we are now 7 days into Aug. The Spike Starting in Mid June. When was the first day we hit 1,000 cases. Seems like it was over a month ago. (July 15th so almost a month) Now it might be cause younger people are getting it but to me it doesn't seem as bad as I thought it was going to get. Now the deaths that's a different story.

854 new cases today.

7 more deaths.

We've been remarkably steady in the 800-900 new cases/day range for the past few days. Maybe the backlog/testing delays are finally getting worked out?

Quote Originally Posted by LocoAko View Post
    We've been remarkably steady in the 800-900 new cases/day range for the past few days. Maybe the backlog/testing delays are finally getting worked out?
    We had 1,101 on Wed.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    We had 1,101 on Wed.
    You're right. I think I was thinking about how steady the 7-day moving average has become.

https://twitter.com/KassieMcClung/st...996481/photo/1

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin View Post
    The picture isn't reflective of the truth. Most deaths, due to COVID-19 happen to those aged 65 or more. That is surely one reason why all those younger picture in the photo aren't taking the virus seriously, assuming it's a recent photo. Once again, it would help matters if a lot more younger people would reveal how bad their case was with annoying lingering after effects. Maybe they're hard to find.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post

....and parents....

And probably a few children.

Thread Information