Widgets Magazine
Page 167 of 455 FirstFirst ... 67117162163164165166167168169170171172217267 ... LastLast
Results 4,151 to 4,175 of 11357

Thread: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

Default Re: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Robertson View Post
    True. Sort of. Approx 1600 ever hospitalized, 400 total deaths. So 1 out of 4. But I’m pretty sure some of the deaths are never hospitalized so that’s not completely accurate. But still probably pretty close.
    1,733 Long Term Care/Nursing home associated cases
    Ÿ 1,080 (62.3%) of associated cases are among residents
    Ÿ 653 (37.7%) of associated cases are among staff
    206 deceased Long Term Care/Nursing Home cases

206 deceased in Long term Care/ Nursing homes leaving 193 deaths out of 1689 hospitalized. So a little more over 11% So lets just say 1 out of every 10?

2. Default Re: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

Quote Originally Posted by kukblue1 View Post
    I think at least a quarter if not half the deaths were in nursing homes
    That is right. So the death to hospitalization ratio is much lower than 1 in 4.

That is right. So the death to hospitalization ratio is much lower than 1 in 4.
    Correct. A few states that had high death rates forced nursing homes to take in COVID patients.

Quote Originally Posted by kukblue1 View Post
    I think at least a quarter if not half the deaths were in nursing homes
    Do nursing home deaths not count? The governor thinks it's totally safe for nursing homes to allow guests again.

5. Default Re: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    The death numbers don't seem to matter to a significant segment of this forum regardless. A lot of Americans are totally cool with 130,000 deaths I guess.

Every year, we memorialize those lost in the OKC bombing, 168. We are up to at least 400 COVID-19 deaths in Oklahoma and counting and yet, there's just this ho-hum indifference to it by so many people. it is disturbing.

"Oh, but a lot of them were in nursing homes or old...."
    The point of previous posts was that there isn’t a 1 of 4 hospitalizations end in death ratio. Many of the deaths weren’t in hospitals. I will never downplay the horrible event that even one death represents.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    The death numbers don't seem to matter to a significant segment of this forum regardless. A lot of Americans are totally cool with 130,000 deaths I guess.

Every year, we memorialize those lost in the OKC bombing, 168. We are up to at least 400 COVID-19 deaths in Oklahoma and counting and yet, there's just this ho-hum indifference to it by so many people. it is disturbing.

"Oh, but a lot of them were in nursing homes or old...."
    It is not just the forum, a significant amount of people at Home Depot and Sam's Club were still not wearing masks today. Granted it was better than when I shopped 2 weeks ago but still pretty bad, maybe 70% masks at Sam's and 50% at Home Depot. I saw an old lady with a cane with a canister style painting respirator and a face shield on at Sam's. If she can breath through that, no reason for anyone else not to be wearing a cloth or clinical mask to keep their sneezes and coughs to themselves. I will start wearing my painting respirator if we start to get over 1000/cases a day.

The point of previous posts was that there isn’t a 1 of 4 hospitalizations end in death ratio. Many of the deaths weren’t in hospitals. I will never downplay the horrible event that even one death represents.
    Amen. All deaths matter but I didn't want people to think that if they were hospitalized they had a 25% chance of dying that is not the case.

Quote Originally Posted by PoliSciGuy View Post
    Also, even the asymptomatic folks are ending up with life-long lung damage: https://www.zmescience.com/medicine/...amage-0523532/

Focusing just on the death rate is dangerously myopic
    Right. Utah Jazz center Rudy Gobert, 28, was the first NBA player to report testing positive for COVID-19 back in March. Three months later, he still hasn't fully recovered, Gobert told the French sports publication L'Equipe.

Days before his diagnosis, Gobert had made light of the pandemic when he jokingly touched every microphone during a news conference.

He later publicly apologized and urged the public to not fall into a false sense of security like he did.

"I wish I would have taken this thing more seriously, and I hope everyone else will do so," Gobert said.
    Excerpted from: https://www.koco.com/article/7-myths...onomy/33214227

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    The Edmond City council meeting is certainly entertaining (and educational). The (new?) owner of The Real Cafe just got done with her anti-mask rant. They have UV lights at the doors so all's good there I guess...

There are another dozen or so folks waiting to speak if anyone is bored and wants to watch - http://edmondok.com/93/Watch-Live
    Aren't UV lights dangerous to the eyes, especially if you look directly at them?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    Aren't UV lights dangerous to the eyes, especially if you look directly at them?
    UVC lights shouldn’t be used when people are around. And they aren’t a magic cure. The ability to kill is based on intensity of exposure and amount of time. You can’t just walk by it at the door and be cleansed. If that is what they are hoping then they have been sold a bill of goods.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    UVC lights shouldn’t be used when people are around. And they aren’t a magic cure. The ability to kill is based on intensity of exposure and amount of time. You can’t just walk by it at the door and be cleansed. If that is what they are hoping then they have been sold a bill of goods.
    It ended up being just typical crazy for the night. There was also the owner of Roughhouse Gym who's fanatically anti-mask as well, but it's OK because she opens the big doors at the gym so it's just like being outside and social distancing. And the person who was crying about the thought of people being forced to re-inhale their own toxins (which was right after her rant about how masks don't block anything). Randall Shadid gave a pretty passionate speech in favor of mask regulations including pretty stiff fines (up to $1000 IIRC) and jail time. This was right after he called most of his fellow citizens selfish and a few other choice words, so he probably didn't make a lot of friends, but it was a good speech. There were 2 or 3 other people in favor of masks, but overwhelmingly the crowd was anti-mask and I could tell the council was leaning that way also.

I listen to this COVID Daily News podcast that really focuses on evidence-based research. They just did this review of what we know up to this point so it's a nice review for those that would like one: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcas...=1000482761653

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    High powered UVC lights may be able to disinfect the air of HVAC systems so businesses are not just recirculating respirators droplets full of covid.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SSEiYah View Post
    High powered UVC lights may be able to disinfect the air of HVAC systems so businesses are not just recirculating respirators droplets full of covid.
    There is way more to it than that. I have developed uvc light units for commercial air systems with a major Hvac manufacturer and units for water purification. I am also involved with a uvc firm working with LSU on application for Covid. Kill rates depend on intensity and time and other factors. It’s effectiveness drops off greatly with distance, speed of movement, temperature of the air, humidity, size of the droplets, intensity of the virus and its own durability. Not all microbials are affected the same way. There haven’t been definitive kill rates identified for covid. But it hasn’t stopped uvc peddlers from making claims to sell a few lights.

The Edmond City council meeting is certainly entertaining (and educational). The (new?) owner of The Real Cafe just got done with her anti-mask rant. They have UV lights at the doors so all's good there I guess...

There are another dozen or so folks waiting to speak if anyone is bored and wants to watch - http://edmondok.com/93/Watch-Live
    Stillwater will try again for mandatory mask wear. The city council voted unanimously for it. A majority of the speakers supported adopting the mask ordinance. This, even though there are only two covid patients in the Stillwater hospital. But Stillwater has the 8th most number of cases with 378 as of Monday.
    https://www.stwnewspress.com/news/lo...d980ab81d.html

So Jerry, did the council enact anything, or is everything staying the same? I was outside working until dark so I missed it.

Quote Originally Posted by oklip955 View Post
    So Jerry, did the council enact anything, or is everything staying the same? I was outside working until dark so I missed it.
    Apparently not.

https://kfor.com/news/edmond-city-co...tinue-to-rise/

Quote Originally Posted by mkjeeves View Post
    Yeah not was pretty obvious early on they weren't going to actually do anything. This meeting ended up mainly being about putting down rumors of any sort of business closings or mask requirements. Oh, and they declared they don't have to do something just because Holt does it. Dan O'Neil tried to argue that Edmond had nothing in place that would allow them to fine people or businesses on the chance they did impliment a mandate. The city manager had to correct him and let him know that yes, the city has the power to impliment fines and does so all the time for various codes and infractions. SMH.

19. Default Re: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

Yeah not was pretty obvious early on they weren't going to actually do anything. This meeting ended up mainly being about putting down rumors of any sort of business closings or mask requirements. Oh, and they declared they don't have to do something just because Holt does it. Dan O'Neil tried to argue that Edmond had nothing in place that would allow them to fine people or businesses on the chance they did impliment a mandate. The city manager had to correct him and let him know that yes, the city has the power to impliment fines and does so all the time for various codes and infractions. SMH.
    It's like a city council scene from Parks and Rec huh?

While the numbers in the table haven't updated yet for me, if the updated banner on the OSDH website is accurate we're in for an 858 case day. Showing 17,220 vs. 16,362 yesterday.

Wow just wow is all I have to say about today's numbers. Action is going to be needed to be taken

Yep, 858 (!!!) new cases; 5 more have died.

52 new hospitalizations with a net increase of 35.

4.9% positive test rate.

The next two weeks are likely to be brutal given all the 4th of July celebrations and current trend.

I'm starting to worry about reopening schools and getting back to any type of sports this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Yep, 858 (!!!) new cases; 5 more have died.

52 new hospitalizations with a net increase of 35.

4.9% positive test rate.
    Like I've been saying I don't want to shut down but a shut down is the only way at this point

Thread Information