Widgets Magazine
Page 442 of 455 FirstFirst ... 342392437438439440441442443444445446447 ... LastLast
Results 11,026 to 11,050 of 11357

Thread: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

Default Re: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    i'm a bit puzzled as to why you would say this... if you trust the experts when they say you need to be vaccinated, then i'd think that you'd trust those same experts when they say that you should get a booster after 8 months.
    Not disagreeing with the experts at all. However, there is a lot of debate among epidemiologists about whether boosters are needed yet. But if a consensus develops that booster shots are needed then I certainly trust that. My concern is purely moral. Should I get a third vaccine shot before others get their first? I do not.

Quote Originally Posted by Midtowner View Post
    We invested millions (billions?) in develepmont and production of these vaccines. These other countries did not. U.S. citizens should therefore have access to the fullest benefits of these vaccines because otherwise, these doses will be discarded with zero hope for international donation.
    I disagree. Every person deserves their health and dignity. If millions of booster shots go to Americans, it will likely delay distribution to poorer countries. I don’t believe my life is more important than someone who was born in a different country. Moreover, millions of doses of vaccines are even being produced in countries like South Africa and then shipped to European countries. It’s wrong.

Even without a booster, evidence still suggests that I should have strong antibodies for a while. Again, I have no qualms with a booster shot for the most vulnerable.

^

By that same logic, you should haven't taken the first vaccines since you are young, healthy, affluent by any global standard and have access to excellent healthcare.

The U.S. has had the vaccines before everyone else every step of the way, and that isn't going to change.

I don’t believe that’s the same logic. Getting a booster is liking getting seconds before your guests had a chance to get any food. It doesn’t have to be that way. It’s a choice.

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    I don’t believe that’s the same logic. Getting a booster is liking getting seconds before your guests had a chance to get any food. It doesn’t have to be that way. It’s a choice.
    If the government does not consider you fully vaccinated without the third dose and therefore they will not let you fly on an airplane, will you stand by your principals or will you give in to the hypothetical mandate?

Didn't you already have seconds?

Blog Entries

Not disagreeing with the experts at all. However, there is a lot of debate among epidemiologists about whether boosters are needed yet. But if a consensus develops that booster shots are needed then I certainly trust that. My concern is purely moral. Should I get a third vaccine shot before others get their first? I do not.

I disagree. Every person deserves their health and dignity. If millions of booster shots go to Americans, it will likely delay distribution to poorer countries. I don’t believe my life is more important than someone who was born in a different country. Moreover, millions of doses of vaccines are even being produced in countries like South Africa and then shipped to European countries. It’s wrong.

Even without a booster, evidence still suggests that I should have strong antibodies for a while. Again, I have no qualms with a booster shot for the most vulnerable.
    Where do you get that it is an either or decision? This moral highroad you espouse may make make you feel superior, but also fails to realistically address the situation. It’s not just about sending doses. It’s about distribution systems, willingness to take the vaccine, storage capabilities and other issues as well. Help get your ignorant anti vax neighbors to take their shots here and help keep our economy strong so we CAN help others.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Where do you get that it is an either or decision? This moral highroad you espouse may make make you feel superior, but also fails to realistically address the situation. It’s not just about sending doses. It’s about distribution systems, willingness to take the vaccine, storage capabilities and other issues as well. Help get your ignorant anti vax neighbors to take their shots here and help keep our economy strong so we CAN help others.
    Because that's how basic supply chains work. Vaccine production plants can only produce so much solution/packaging used for vaccines. Every vial diverted for a third shot for otherwise healthy folks based on controversial Israeli data is a vial taken away from at risk people in developing countries.

A quote from the CDC director from during yesterday’s briefing, “reports from our international colleagues including Israel suggest there is an increased risk of severe disease amongst those vaccinated early.”

I recommend looking out for any signs of severe disease if you were vaccinated early.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ciVGAPuruoQ&t=1020s

^

And the reason they are now suggesting a booster shot.

10. Default Re: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

Quote Originally Posted by OKCRealtor View Post
    Is there anywhere to get a quick Saliva test done that's not in the $150-200 range? I figured you guys might know something better than what I'm finding on google.
    This was on a KFOR story yesterday.

Diagnostic Laboratory of Oklahoma is offering drive-thru COVID-19 molecular laboratory and rapid antigen testing at no cost to patients at its headquarters, located at 225 N.E. 97th St. in Oklahoma City.

The drive-thru is open from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m., Monday through Friday. On Saturday, the drive-thru will be open from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Robertson View Post
    This was on a KFOR story yesterday.

Diagnostic Laboratory of Oklahoma is offering drive-thru COVID-19 molecular laboratory and rapid antigen testing at no cost to patients at its headquarters, located at 225 N.E. 97th St. in Oklahoma City.

The drive-thru is open from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m., Monday through Friday. On Saturday, the drive-thru will be open from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
    don't know the cost but there is also drive thru covid testing and anti body testing in the Crest parking lot at 15th/164th and sante fe in Edmond ..

edited to correct ..

There’s also one at the Crest at 164th and Santa Fe

Quote Originally Posted by PoliSciGuy View Post
    There’s also one at the Crest at 164th and Santa Fe
    that is the one i drove past yesterday .... .thanks i corrected my post ..

14. Default Re: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

3 of the Crests have testing.... Don't remember the 3rd but another one of the 3 is at the Crest in Yukon.

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    don't know the cost but there is also drive thru covid testing and anti body testing in the Crest parking lot at 15th/164th and sante fe in Edmond ..

edited to correct ..
    My wife had to go twice, in two weeks, due to exposures at work, and I think she said they process your insurance if you have it. Don't know if they charge the uninsured.

RE booster morality…

It may not kill or send you (previously vaccinated) to the hospital but when you leave yourself open to being a disease host, you are part of the problem in containing the disease and preventing the development of new variants that can impact others.

We can make us/them nuance arguments all day, but the vaccine and infrastructure to get it in our arms are here. We can step up and do our part AND work towards getting the world vaccinated.

^

Right on.

2,851 new cases reported today.

7-day average now 2,220.

Hospitalizations are 1,487 (+72).

ICU is 398 (+19).

For the week:

15,542 new cases compared to the last several weeks: 14,851; 13,348; 9,459; 6,559; 3,925; 1,648.

New cases increased by 4.7% from last week.

106 additional reported deaths; last several weeks: 80, 40, 42, 23, 26, 24, 26.

Hospitalizations were +161.

ICU was +38.

Just wondering about what stores are now requiring masks. I am not going out very often and then trying to do only curbside pickup. I do see more people wearing masks going into some places. I would think that soon many will. I hate to think about what the numbers will be next week.

Quote Originally Posted by oklip955 View Post
    Just wondering about what stores are now requiring masks. I am not going out very often and then trying to do only curbside pickup. I do see more people wearing masks going into some places. I would think that soon many will. I hate to think about what the numbers will be next week.
    The Sam's Club at 39th & May was strongly requesting everyone wear a mask. When I walked in without one, the person at the door handed me a paper mask and asked me to wear it. Everyone in the store was wearing a mask.

There is consensus, or at least a CDC recommendation:

The available data make very clear that protection against SARS-CoV-2 infection begins to decrease over time following the initial doses of vaccination, and in association with the dominance of the Delta variant, we are starting to see evidence of reduced protection against mild and moderate disease. Based on our latest assessment, the current protection against severe disease, hospitalization, and death could diminish in the months ahead, especially among those who are at higher risk or were vaccinated during the earlier phases of the vaccination rollout. For that reason, we conclude that a booster shot will be needed to maximize vaccine-induced protection and prolong its durability.
    https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2...ter-shots.html

Many poorer countries are going to lack the infrastructure to widely distribute vaccines as these vaccines must be stored under very specific conditions. I also believe we can walk and chew gum--that it isn't necessarily an either/or choice in receiving boosters while delivering doses internationally.

Theoretically, everyone absolutely deserves their health and human dignity, but also, I paid taxes here and my country invested vast amounts of time and treasure in these vaccines, and we as Americans are more deserving of reaping the rewards as those in developing countries. It's just like being in an airplane with a compromised cabin--you put your mask first so that you can help everyone else.

23. Default Re: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

Quote Originally Posted by oklip955 View Post
    There was a list on the news that had Walmart, Target, Lowe's, Home Depot, Sam's and Costco now back to requiring employees to wear masks and encouraging customers to. And I've seen signs back up at a few places I've been saying the same.

It is also worth noting that the two vaccines authorized for boosters are also the two vaccines with harder storage and handling requirements, and with administration requirements that double the logistics required for administering it in underdeveloped and remote areas.

If you can keep cold storage requirements intact to remote areas, and get the staff together for mass vaccinations there, and if you can get everybody living in different parts of that remote area to show up to get the vaccine, then you can give the first dose of a two dose regimen. But then you have to be able to repeat it all again in 21 or 28 days, and hope the people in those remote areas are able to show up again, and that no new people show up who wouldn’t be able to finish a series if they got one shot. It’s a logistical nightmare that increases the risk of partially vaccinated people and vaccine resistance.

Even just needing simple refrigeration can make it very hard to send vaccines to remote areas. It is better to use these vaccines where the infrastructure is in place, and send single dose vaccines to areas in need.

There is consensus, or at least a CDC recommendation:

https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2...ter-shots.html
    CDC recommendations do not equate to consensus. The CDC is a very important institutional guide for the public. But they also have made recommendations that were widely unpopular in the epidemiological community (e.g., people don't need masks early in the pandemic, extremely delayed recognition of aerosols as primary means of spread). Just because the CDC said it does not mean there's a consensus among experts.

Many poorer countries are going to lack the infrastructure to widely distribute vaccines as these vaccines must be stored under very specific conditions. I also believe we can walk and chew gum--that it isn't necessarily an either/or choice in receiving boosters while delivering doses internationally.
    South Africa produced Johnson & Johnson vaccines that do not require difficult storage. Their citizens and government wanted the vaccines and were able to distribute them. They were shipped to other countries. It's just neocolonialism.

Theoretically, everyone absolutely deserves their health and human dignity, but also, I paid taxes here and my country invested vast amounts of time and treasure in these vaccines, and we as Americans are more deserving of reaping the rewards as those in developing countries. It's just like being in an airplane with a compromised cabin--you put your mask first so that you can help everyone else.
    This rationale is exactly what I disagree with. The metaphor doesn't make any sense. A better metaphor would be you taking your neighbors mask and having two while they suffocate.

Quote Originally Posted by d-usa View Post
    It is also worth noting that the two vaccines authorized for boosters are also the two vaccines with harder storage and handling requirements, and with administration requirements that double the logistics required for administering it in underdeveloped and remote areas.
    This is, of course, an important reality. If it is only logistically possible for some areas to get J&J then maybe these issues can be separated. But, that does not seem to the case.

Thread Information