Widgets Magazine
Page 9 of 455 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131459109 ... LastLast

Thread: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

Default Re: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

Quote Originally Posted by OkieHornet View Post
    The Jones Assembly just sent out an email saying the Orville Peck concert tonight is postponed and will be rescheduled to a future date.
    Yep. Just saw it.

I know this is just speculation, but it just seems like there are going to end up being a lot more people infected by this thing than we realize.

3. Default Re: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

Quote Originally Posted by Libbymin View Post
    I know this is just speculation, but it just seems like there are going to end up being a lot more people infected by this thing than we realize.
    And for the vast majority, it's no more than a cold. Its the other 10% that pose the problems.

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    And for the vast majority, it's no more than a cold. Its the other 10% that pose the problems.
    The problem is that when that "vast majority" get it that just increase the number of people in that 10%. That 10% can represent a vast number of people.

5. Default Re: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

If you want to call me “Head in the sand” fine but until proven wrong this is how I choose to look at CV. I will not leave OKC for the foreseeable future. Oklahoma currently has a .0000006 percent infection rate, 0 percent fatality rate and a 33.33 percent recovery rate. If those numbers go down the drain then I’ll go with it but until then I’m going to be optimistic!!!

Regarding Italy and why flatten the curve here...reports from the front line of medical care from a few days ago. Harrowing.

https://mobile.twitter.com/jasonvans...42891077697538

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I belong to a social media group for restaurants and bars in OKC and almost everyone is reporting their business is way, way down.

Personally, I am not going to stop going out and I hope these businesses don't get decimated.
    Last Friday the tap room was quite steady with business. Right now it's completely empty. Gotta be covid related fears.

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    Last Friday the tap room was quite steady with business. Right now it's completely empty. Gotta be covid related fears.
    Precautions, not fear.

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    I fall into this category. At the current trajectory I am 99% certain to be laid off in the next month, so I have cut all discretionary spending. I would love to go out and patronize businesses, but I would also like to keep my house if I am out of work.
    Update: I cut off all discretionary spending except for an insatiable desire for outback hot wings tonight. So I am shelling out the $11 for them.

This is going to decimate the service industry. 9PM on a Friday night. I am the only person in the building. A party of 5 was walking out when I was parking. Love or hate Outback, Fridays and Saturdays are always packed. Usually a wait.

Holy hell.

Blog Entries

The Oklahoma State Health Department announced late Friday night that a woman in her 60s from Oklahoma County is the latest individual to test positive for COVID-19, the disease caused by coronavirus.

The woman had recently traveled to Florida and is now being kept in isolation in her home.--Oklahoman, March 13, 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post
    The Oklahoma State Health Department announced late Friday night that a woman in her 60s from Oklahoma County is the latest individual to test positive for COVID-19, the disease caused by coronavirus.

The woman had recently traveled to Florida and is now being kept in isolation in her home.--Oklahoman, March 13, 2020.
    Still zero community transfer in OK. All 4 cases “brought” it with them so thats good news.

Quote Originally Posted by OKC Guy View Post
    Still zero community transfer in OK. All 4 cases “brought” it with them so thats good news.
    How many have it but display no symptoms?

That is literally the problem. I work international flights on a daily basis. I work with people who have direct contact with passengers from international flights. There's a decent chance *I have it* but I have no symptoms... so the old guy who touches the door handle after me gets it? That is how easy it is to spread this.

I would say within a week there is a 99% chance of you being within a few feet of someone who has it regardless if it affects them to the point of showing symptoms. Now you have it. How many people do you come into direct contact with in a day? 2? How many objects in a day do you touch within a few hours of someone else touching? Door handles, common use telephones in offices, the handle of a chair at the restaurant, an elevator button, the coffee pot at work. Etc.

I was an early discounter of this. But I am rapidly changing my mind. This is bad bad bad. Even if you display no symptoms you can have it as well as pass it on to someone more vulnerable.

Quote Originally Posted by mkjeeves View Post
    At some point you need to decide which is more important, flattening the curve, or going out to eat trying to support businesses, workers or for other reasons. Going out to eat in particular is a bad idea for flattening the curve. The industry is known for people without sick leave and marginal income showing up and working while sick. Tough choices all around.

2015 article https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt...e-they-have-to
    I am practicing social distancing to protect vulnerable citizens, but I’m still supporting local businesses via carry out/delivery as much as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Libbymin View Post
    Epidemiologists have predicted numbers up to 1.7 million (high end) infected in the U.S.

For people downplaying this, experts have we been very clear: it’s about to get really, really bad. We’re Italy with worse leadership. Stay safe, y’all.

15. Default Re: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

Some churches have suspended services on Sunday.
    Many have modified they way the handle the service as well. I think of the congregation and the older folks that may/could get it from others not knowing it, like Catch said above

16. Default Re: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

I was craving Muu Shabu last night because of the cold rain and it was busier than I have ever seen it... On the drive back I was checking out restaurant parking lots and most looked to be pretty busy with the exception of a few buffets.

Regarding anyone that’s upset about the Utah jazz getting 58 tests, this is just another display how effed our society is. Not much different than people hoarding supplies unnecessarily, looking out for themselves. The jazz organization being tested has nothing to do with who they are and their socioeconomic status, it’s about tracing the virus. Geez! Think about it, we have an organization that is traveling around the country, coming into contact with many fans, local businesses, etc. And we know that two players are positive for the coronavirus. Doesn’t it make sense to test everybody that has come in contact with them and continue to try and flatten the curve. Quit worrying about yourself only. This is not about the haves and have nots, this is about the country and the world’s health.

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    How many have it but display no symptoms?

That is literally the problem. I work international flights on a daily basis. I work with people who have direct contact with passengers from international flights. There's a decent chance *I have it* but I have no symptoms... so the old guy who touches the door handle after me gets it? That is how easy it is to spread this.

I would say within a week there is a 99% chance of you being within a few feet of someone who has it regardless if it affects them to the point of showing symptoms. Now you have it. How many people do you come into direct contact with in a day? 2? How many objects in a day do you touch within a few hours of someone else touching? Door handles, common use telephones in offices, the handle of a chair at the restaurant, an elevator button, the coffee pot at work. Etc.

I was an early discounter of this. But I am rapidly changing my mind. This is bad bad bad. Even if you display no symptoms you can have it as well as pass it on to someone more vulnerable.
    I am only putting this in perspective. To your point if the number infected is unknown then we can’t assume a death rate because every country and every state and every city is a different microsystem combined with differing medical care. OKC is more spread out than LA for example.

As for touching things well we lose 30,000 per year to the common flu and no one panics about that. We lose 32,000 people in traffic deaths per year should stop driving?

There are so many things can kill you. Like all things use caution and lets hope this passes with minimal deaths. I see no need to panic

19. Default Re: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

As for touching things well we lose 30,000 per year to the common flu and no one panics about that. We lose 32,000 people in traffic deaths per year should stop driving?
    We get vaccinated for the flu to minimize its effects. We have seat belts and air bags to minimize traffic deaths. All we are saying is do the things you can to flatten the curve so our health system doesn't get overwhelmed. Wash you hands often with soap and practice social distancing as much as you can.

I am only putting this in perspective. To your point if the number infected is unknown then we can’t assume a death rate because every country and every state and every city is a different microsystem combined with differing medical care. OKC is more spread out than LA for example.

There are so many things can kill you. Like all things use caution and lets hope this passes with minimal deaths. I see no need to panic
    The death rate is still important and is as accurate as any other death rate: deaths per case of confirmed disease.

It’s the same thing for influenza, cancer, etc. We count known deaths from confirmed cases. People like to point out that the rate is probably lower because many people with mild COVID never get tested, but most people with influenza never get tested (and are not counted) as well.

21. Default Re: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

Quote Originally Posted by Roger S View Post
    I was craving Muu Shabu last night because of the cold rain and it was busier than I have ever seen it... On the drive back I was checking out restaurant parking lots and most looked to be pretty busy with the exception of a few buffets.
    We experienced the opposite last night. Took the wife to do some couples Metal Forging in the Plaza District, dinner and dessert. For the first time, parking was not an issue at all. The pay lot was almost completely empty (we were a bit early a 5pm). But by the time we ate dinner (Mexican Radio), the restaurant only had a handful of tables with patrons. Walked by other restaurants after and they were all pretty dead at 7pm. Even noticed at least 4 parking spaces open right in front of the restaurants. Pie Junkie had two groups inside, but no wait for slices to go. All-in-all it was odd how quiet it was for a Friday night.

I had to go to Sam's at 39th & May to pick up a prescription this morning, and while there were still people trucking out TP, the store wasn't particularly busy and everything was well-stocked.

Here's hoping all the paranoid hoarders have already done their damage and normalcy is starting to be reestablished.

23. Default Re: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

Got an email from the OKC Zoo: Closed through next week, at least.

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/healt...liveBlogHeader

Apple is closing all its retail stores outside China until March 27 in order to protect workers and help stop the spread of the coronavirus illness COVID-19, the company announced early Saturday. The company is also committing $15 million to help with the worldwide response to the crisis, CEO Tim Cook said.

25. Default Re: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I had to go to Sam's at 39th & May to pick up a prescription this morning, and while there were still people trucking out TP, the store wasn't particularly busy and everything was well-stocked.

Here's hoping all the paranoid hoarders have already done their damage and normalcy is starting to be reestablished.
    I think they were all at the Edmond Sam's. We went there for 'the regular stuff' but quickly noticed every single cart had multiple bulk bags of TP an PT. Also, lots of dry goods. Zero eggs in stock. Good thing we have our own laying hens at home.

Thread Information