Widgets Magazine
Page 7 of 455 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111257107 ... LastLast

Thread: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

Default Re: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Hausfrau View Post
    Question for any one with Telecom or IT background. What happens to the networks in Oklahoma, and specifically OKC, when more users are on? If universities switch to all online course, using Zoom or whatever, and employees start remotely connecting from home into their work, do connection times slow?
    Can our current IT infrastructure in OK/OKC handle anything we throw at it?
    Most network traffic is people watching videos and this peaks in the evening. So working from home probably doesn't really increase that too bad relatively speaking. I would think video conferencing services will run out of hosting space until they can spin up more servers if companies start doing wfh more frequently.

Quote Originally Posted by chuck5815 View Post
    Folks, let's try to keep the unenlightened political opinions in the political thread.

This is a politics free zone.
    i didn't realize that stating that there is less than 1% of tests available for the US population was political. i just thought it was math.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Dow finishes the day −2,352.27 (9.99%)
    man. not a good day. i thought around 1 it was going to at least recover to only be down a few hundred...

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Dow finishes the day −2,352.27 (9.99%)
    Wonder where the bottom will be? It's hard to place a future value of the market when the dust hasn't even begun to settle. How long until trading is suspended until things stabilize? Is that possible?

The Associated Press
    @AP
    ·
    2m
    BREAKING: NCAA cancels men's and women's Division I basketball tournaments amid coronavirus fears.

Looks like the NCAA has canceled all winter and spring NCAA championships. That is terrible news for OKC. No WCWS will be a big blow

Quote Originally Posted by GoGators View Post
    Looks like the NCAA has canceled all winter and spring NCAA championships. That is terrible news for OKC. No WCWS will be a big blow
    Crap, didn't think about the WCWS. The financial impact of everything this is happening is impossible to estimate or comprehend.

Disneyland (California) closing through March.

https://twitter.com/seattlesymphony/...395844103?s=20
    This is nice. Video broadcasts and Livestream from the symphony. Maybe OKC Phil could do something similar? It's important for people to have outlets for their anxiety and music is wonderful stress relief

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    Most network traffic is people watching videos and this peaks in the evening. So working from home probably doesn't really increase that too bad relatively speaking. I would think video conferencing services will run out of hosting space until they can spin up more servers if companies start doing wfh more frequently.
    Thank you for the answer. It makes sense. My software seemed glitchy today, so naturally I jumped 5 steps ahead to "the whole system is crashing!".

Quote Originally Posted by jedicurt View Post
    327 Million / 1 million = scarce.
    From Dr. Fauci, the #1 expert person on the task force.
    Top U.S. health official's blunt assessment of U.S. testing capacity
    https://www.nbcnews.com/health/healt...sting-n1157036

More tests, less xenophobia please. More Dr. Fauci, less Stephen Miller please.

Not OKC but interesting if this will catch on with other districts around the country

https://krdo.com/news/2020/03/12/pik...yRw4lqQsotZ21M

Colorado Springs schools close until March 27, sporting activities until April 6.

13. Default Re: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

Quote Originally Posted by Roger S View Post
    A flight attendant was admitted last night. Not all of the symptoms were consistent with Covid but they did two respiratory panels on the patient and both came back negative.
    Fortunately this patient tested negative for Covid.... I wasn’t looking forward to my girlfriend being quarantined for two weeks if they came back positive.

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    Not OKC but interesting if this will catch on with other districts around the country

Colorado Springs schools close until March 27, sporting activities until April 6.
    Every school district in the country will be closed within a week.

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post

Denver schools closed until April 6

16. Default Re: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    From Dr. Fauci, the #1 expert person on the task force.
    Top U.S. health official's blunt assessment of U.S. testing capacity
    https://www.nbcnews.com/health/healt...sting-n1157036

More tests, less xenophobia please. More Dr. Fauci, less Stephen Miller please.
    I hope people aren't expecting there has to be a test produced for every man, woman and child. If lve been socially distanced an have no symptoms or reason to think l could be infected Ill give up my test to someone in NYC.

Now, who, exactly is being Xenophobic?

Blog Entries

This is a few days old now but still an interesting (and also terrifying) read.

https://www.linkedin.com/content-gue...n-shlain-m-d-/

-We are moving from containment to care.
    -We in the US are currently where at where Italy was a week ago. We see nothing to say we will be substantially different.
    -40-70% of the US population will be infected over the next 12-18 months. After that level you can start to get herd immunity. Unlike flu this is entirely novel to humans, so there is no latent immunity in the global population.
    -[We used their numbers to work out a guesstimate of deaths— indicating about 1.5 million Americans may die. The panelists did not disagree with our estimate. This compares to seasonal flu’s average of 50K Americans per year. Assume 50% of US population, that’s 160M people infected. With 1% mortality rate that's 1.6M Americans die over the next 12-18 months.]
    -The fatality rate is in the range of 10X flu.
    -This assumes no drug is found effective and made available.
    A point I hadn't considered:
    School closures are one the biggest societal impacts. We need to be thoughtful before we close schools, especially elementary schools because of the knock-on effects. If elementary kids are not in school then some hospital staff can’t come to work, which decreases hospital capacity at a time of surging demand for hospital services.

^^^
    Yep, those notes are super helpful and interesting... Even though some of the conclusions are terrifying, it's actually calming to have quality information on the topic. Hopefully, the death toll isn't that high, but we really need to flatten the curve to prevent our health care system from being overwhelmed as has happened in parts of Italy where doctors have to choose who to treat and who to let die. I also found the don't-close-schools argument compelling because that will limit health care professionals from working and it's the same argument that Michael Osterholm said on the Joe Rogan podcast. While the federal government has really failed in producing tests, another big takeaway is that you should not try to get tested or get treatment unless you're really struggling (e.g., having trouble breathing). Just quarantine and do what you'd do if you have the flu. Everyone isn't getting a test so don't take up hospital resources trying to get one unless your symptoms get past mild.

It's depressing to see so much misinformation floating around when our real experts - epidemiologists, social scientists, medical professionals - are providing incredibly accurate predictions and information. And all of them say we're at the very beginning of this crisis and it's about to blow up and last for a while. Prepare, practice social distancing, cancel/don't attend large gatherings, and take care of the vulnerable (elderly, obese, smokers, underlying health conditions).

19. Default Re: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

This was posted about 5 hours ago on the OKC Reddit. If true, it's an interesting and concerning account of the testing process. If this isn't streamlined soon, this is going to be a huge disaster.

"I got tested today. Self quarantine until I get the results.
    In case anyone is curious about the process:
    Called my primary care doctor. Who incorrectly told me to call the Oklahoma Health Department. Do not do that. I was on hold for nearly an hour to be told to contact my primary care doctor.
    He then told me to call the ER, ask for the charge nurse, tell them he sent me, and tell them why I was calling, don’t just show up. I explained that I’d been exposed to someone who was a confirmed case and that I’d had mild symptoms. Plus I’m supposed to fly somewhere for work soon. She told me to come in, but to call when I arrive.
    I showed up, walked in and called. When a nurse answered, she asked if I was the CoronaVirus person, and told me to leave immediately and stand out in the parking lot. Made sense. Luckily it was a nice day.
    My nurse met me with a mask to put on and let me into a negative pressure room. They closed the door and out signs all over it. Everyone who came in was in full protective gear. The doctor had a respirator with a hose, eye mask and everything.
    Two nose swabs and one throat. The nose swabs suck. At that point they were going to discharge me, but nobody seemed to know how or when I would get my results. This is a new thing at this scale, and procedures aren’t streamlined yet. The ER process took about 2.5 hours.
    I’m expecting my results in the next day or two. The ER doctor called me this evening and told me that some samples have to be flown to Dallas because we don’t have the capacity here.
    After seeing the process at this stage, they are going to get overwhelmed quickly. If I didn’t have to fly twice per week for work I probably wouldn’t have gotten tested and just stayed home sick."

Here's a question regarding the Del City/NBA player incident.

As I understood it, the state informed that district that people around the player did not need to be tested or quarantined because the player, at that time, was asymptomatic. But the CDC guidance I've read said an individual *can* shed disease without symptoms.

That seems contradictory to me. And its a pretty serious contradiction. Either you shed when asymptomatic or you don't. And if you shed, the people in close contact are necessarily at risk.

So which is it? I'm concerned amid all the caution now being exercised, a potentially serious error may have occurred with this situation. Kids and their families who were taking photos with the player at Del City High School need the right info. All of us do.

If anything i've posted or asked here is wrong, please correct it.

*EDIT* I just saw a report on KWTV demonstrating this *very* contradiction from State and CDC information. So I'm not the only one noticing this.

21. Default Re: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

I saw a graphic yesterday that stated that there is a period where the patient is asymptomatic and not contagious. Unfortunately, there is a period where the patient is still asymptomatic but can transmit the disease. The lag time is brief, but very dangerous because an infected person can have no idea they are infected yet still be transmitting the disease to others.

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    This is a few days old now but still an interesting (and also terrifying) read.

https://www.linkedin.com/content-gue...n-shlain-m-d-/
    FYI: Some of the panelists pushed back against these notes saying they lacked context. For example, the 1.5 million death number was presented as a possibility not necessarily a likelihood. Anyway, I should have been a bit more skeptical than to read too much into an audience member's notes of a panel discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    FYI: Some of the panelists pushed back against these notes saying they lacked context. For example, the 1.5 million death number was presented as a possibility not necessarily a likelihood. Anyway, I should have been a bit more skeptical than to read too much into an audience member's notes of a panel discussion.
    Agreed - I believe I saw the same or similar information, and they were based on a 40-70% infection rate. Based on the facts I have read that I believe are reliable, *no* country right now has *anywhere near* this infection rate. Not at all diminishing any seriousness of the situation, but I think that number is taken from very much an extreme context.

deleted - inadvertent duplicate post - sorry

I belong to a social media group for restaurants and bars in OKC and almost everyone is reporting their business is way, way down.

Personally, I am not going to stop going out and I hope these businesses don't get decimated.

Thread Information