Widgets Magazine
Page 6 of 455 FirstFirst ... 23456789101156106 ... LastLast

Thread: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

Default Re: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    One thing you can count on is BoulderSooner claiming facts from thread to thread without any sources... and they are almost always wrong. First, we don't know the exact mortality rate. Even if it was 0.6 then that would be six times as deadly as the flu. However, most reports believe this is way too low. I've seen 1.4 mortality rate as a conservative estimate, which is 14 times the mortality. There are far higher mortality rates than these in several of the hard hit countries, but we're still learning about why. Unlike Boulder, I won't claim to know something experts are still trying to figure out.

An important thing to understand is that if this continues to spread our health care infrastructure will be so overwhelmed that people will start dying of other things too because they can't get care.

For people playing this down I'm curious how they think we're different from Italy, which is in absolute crisis? To me, we're less prepared than almost all these other countries and handling it far less effectively.
    This availability of care is the big thing that concerns me. I read this yesterday - https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...YYnxNrQTKJ_id8

This could happen quickly here. Even if hospitals don't run out of beds, there will likely be shortages of beds in ICUs and shortages in equipment like respirators. It won't just be the folks with Covid that suffer but all the folks with other life threatening health issues who suddenly lose when you have to make care decisions based on limited availability of resources and the hard math of potential outcomes. THIS is why this is scaring the crap out of me.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I just made a run to Sam's at 39th & May (pet food, not hoarding) and you can see the full-on panic that has now set in.

It was as busy as I"ve ever seen it, and this was 11AM on a Thursday. People trucking out bottled water and all types of provisions.
    I went to WalMart last night on the way home to grab a few groceries and coincidentally also some dog food. It was about 10pm, but it wasn't unusually busy. But the aisles were pretty bare, notably the water, canned food, toilet paper, and cleaning supplies aisles. I think there were only about 3 can of spam on the shelf. Usually there's hundreds. Pretty surreal.

I was an early discounter of this (and still am to some degree). I think the economic effects will be well more disastrous than the virus itself. But I am changing my mind a bit. I am healthy with good hygiene. But am more concerned about losing my job. This is bad for all industries but mine is certainly one of the most affected.

All businesses, mine included, have to start figuring out how to keep going while the world is shutting down around us.

Hopefully, the health scare will soon pass but regardless, many, many businesses are going to be devastated for a while.

Dave Cathey
    @TheFoodDood
    ·
    4m
    It’s business as usual for
    @VastOKC
    while the Devon Tower lobby is closed. Guests must enter through the Colcord Hotel lobby.

Dylan Buckingham
    @DylanBuckingham
    ·
    6m
    The Utah Jazz have left OKC. No word if Rudy Gobert or Donovan Mitchell were with the team, but workers in hazmat suits were seen with the plane before it took off.

Pete, you/the Gazette should really consider looking into this.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	61A30C4C-64FC-4F4A-BB23-409BAFA3B33E.jpeg 
Views:	170 
Size:	331.6 KB 
ID:	15844

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    I have absolutely been wondering about the Marathon, I don't see how they don't cancel or delay it and still be operating in the public's best interests. Bad year for it too, this was the second "changing the course!" year with the final map using Scissortail Park as the new finishing location.
    On a related note, there are many 5K runs that raise money often for charity. I know at least one has decided to cancel for this Saturday.
    Please consider donating your entry fee ( same for the marathon if cancelled) if you are in a position to do so. These charities are all going to take big hits to their coffers.

Quote Originally Posted by SEMIweather View Post

THIS...with the reported scarcity of test kits, it sure is telling how an NBA team is able to procure so many at the drop of a hat.

Nothing informational in my post.
    I’m really just wanting anybody reading all of this - and feeling all of this is just surreal - to know you are not alone. I’m waiting to be awakened and told it was all a bad dream. A very bad dream.

Quote Originally Posted by StrongCider View Post
    THIS...with the reported scarcity of test kits, it sure is telling how an NBA team is able to procure so many at the drop of a hat.
    acording to CDC over a million tests are already out and 4 mil by the end of the week /

That number is a testament of no leadership. The administration is culpable after refusing WHO test kits and then making test kits that yielded suspect results.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Hausfrau View Post
    On a related note, there are many 5K runs that raise money often for charity. I know at least one has decided to cancel for this Saturday.
    Please consider donating your entry fee ( same for the marathon if cancelled) if you are in a position to do so. These charities are all going to take big hits to their coffers.
    Marathons that have cancelled typically haven't been refunding entry fees. My wife is running all 50 states, and she's been watching other events cancel.

Quote Originally Posted by SEMIweather View Post

This is fake news. The local health departments don't have an unlimited number, but do have plenty on hand to test those that do need it.

https://www.factcheck.org/2020/03/th...virus-testing/

My Wife was going, with my DIL, to the Cher Concert tonight. That got axed.

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    acording to CDC over a million tests are already out and 4 mil by the end of the week /
    327 Million / 1 million = scarce.

Quote Originally Posted by CloudDeckMedia View Post
    Marathons that have cancelled typically haven't been refunding entry fees. My wife is running all 50 states, and she's been watching other events cancel.
    Yes, excellent point.
    For a lot of these shorter races, people sign up on the day of, or day before. That was what I also meant about "donating" the entry fee i.e. send in what you would have paid to run the race.

BRICKTOWNOKC.COM
    @BricktownOKC
    ·
    25m
    Announcement: The Bricktown St. Patrick's Day Block Party has been cancelled.

Quote Originally Posted by StrongCider View Post
    Not telling at all, that's the way this country (and most of the world) works - if you have the money, you can get whatever you want.

SportsCenter
    @SportsCenter
    ·
    29m
    MLB has decided to suspend Spring Training games and to delay the start of the 2020 regular season by at least two weeks due to the national emergency created by the coronavirus pandemic.

Energy FC
    @EnergyFC
    ·
    2h
    The USL has suspended play for a minimum of 30 days.

Question for any one with Telecom or IT background. What happens to the networks in Oklahoma, and specifically OKC, when more users are on? If universities switch to all online course, using Zoom or whatever, and employees start remotely connecting from home into their work, do connection times slow?
    Can our current IT infrastructure in OK/OKC handle anything we throw at it?

Plaza District
    @plazadistrict
    ·
    39s
    In light of growing concerns surrounding COVID-19, the Plaza Business Alliance is cancelling all activities associated with LIVE! on the Plaza for Friday, March 13. Plaza District businesses will continue their regular business hours.

Ben Felder
    @benfelder_okc
    ·
    25s
    Mid-Del schools will close tomorrow after reports that Utah Jazz player Donovan Mitchell, who tested positive for coronavirus, worked out at the high school on Wednesday. #oklaed

Folks, let's try to keep the unenlightened political opinions in the political thread.

This is a politics free zone.

Dow finishes the day −2,352.27 (9.99%)

Thread Information