Widgets Magazine
Page 51 of 455 FirstFirst ... 4647484950515253545556101151 ... LastLast
Results 1,251 to 1,275 of 11357

Thread: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

Default Re: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

Here is a country getting better results than anyone. Unlike Italy and the US — and definitely Oklahoma—New Zealand didn’t piecemeal their way by taking gradual, reactionary actions to “flatten the curve.” They truly shut things down to prevent the curve. The results are amazing.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world...12gstI?ocid=sf

projected deaths now down to 60k

Ie a bad flu year (not the worst flu year )

3. Default Re: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

I found these interactive graphs from NPR to be interesting to see which states would peak and when. Updated April 7th (https://www.npr.org/sections/health-...r-state-s-peak) You can scroll to the bottom to pick a state.

Oklahoma looks to peak April 24th. Our projected deaths are higher than some other comparable states.

4. Default Re: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

So you're fine just adding another 60K deaths per year on top of our death rate? Very cool. And when the next pandemic comes around, will that be the threshold again? We can just keep stacking them up. As long as they don't pass the flu, it's all good.

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    projected deaths now down to 60k

Ie a bad flu year (not the worst flu year )
    current Oklahoma flu deaths from 9/1/2019 to 3/21/2020 (still waiting for newest updates) 79 deaths
    current Oklahoma Covid-19 deaths (3/17/2020 to present) 67 deaths

so in less than a month, we have almost more deaths than the flu in 7 months...

also to compare. the 2018-2019 flu season had 85 deaths

now yes. these last few years have been very low numbers. because 2017-2018 flue season was 291 deaths.

and are those projections now down to 60k because of the efforts we have taken?

Quote Originally Posted by jedicurt View Post
    current Oklahoma flu deaths from 9/1/2019 to 3/21/2020 (still waiting for newest updates) 79 deaths
    current Oklahoma Covid-19 deaths (3/17/2020 to present) 67 deaths

so in less than a month, we have almost more deaths than the flu in 7 months...

also to compare. the 2018-2019 flu season had 85 deaths

now yes. these last few years have been very low numbers. because 2017-2018 flue season was 291 deaths.

and are those projections now down to 60k because of the efforts we have taken?
    no because of more data the origional projection was based on total social distancing .... something we are still not doing ..

Quote Originally Posted by AP View Post
    So you're fine just adding another 60K deaths per year on top of our death rate? Very cool. And when the next pandemic comes around, will that be the threshold again? We can just keep stacking them up. As long as they don't pass the flu, it's all good.
    but it is not even adding 60k on top because of which poeple are most affected there is likley quite a bit of overlap ...

Quote Originally Posted by FighttheGoodFight View Post
    I found these interactive graphs from NPR to be interesting to see which states would peak and when. Updated April 7th (https://www.npr.org/sections/health-...r-state-s-peak) You can scroll to the bottom to pick a state.

Oklahoma looks to peak April 24th. Our projected deaths are higher than some other comparable states.

that is yesterdays data that is based on this https://covid19.healthdata.org/unite...erica/oklahoma

the numbers are now lower

yes if the other option is getting close to a great depression like event

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    no because of more data the origional projection was based on total social distancing .... something we are still not doing ..
    ???? do you have proof of that? and that it hasn't affected the numbers? because i can show you proof that while not all people are social distancing, a decent chunk of them are.

This will drag on for months due to the patchwork approach, with too many exemptions for what should be non-essential businesses. If states like Oklahoma would just rip off the Band-aid and enforce strict social distancing, we could get through this much faster.

HangryHippo Guest

Boulder has been solidly in the dollar signs over vital signs camp from the very beginning.

Quote Originally Posted by brian72 View Post
    Self quarantine till May.
    The OKCTalk forum should give this poster a prize for early accuracy. Posted 3/7

Quote Originally Posted by BBatesokc View Post
    Had a couple of friends get tested after coming into close contact with someone who is now hospitalized. Appears they were able to be treated privately for about $75 and got results in 20 minutes (negative). I'm glad to hear this is now an option. Unfortunately, I have other friends who have been quarantined for over a week now and still don't know their results.
    I'm curious which testing site this was? None in Oklahoma are reporting faster than 8 hour turnaround. Would you be comfortable divulging where your friends went?
    That turnaround time is a huge outlier.

Taking into consideration how many people are going to be effected long term due to job loss and the economic destruction continuing down this path will cause...Frankly yes.

Numbers just updated for Wednesday:

Are you prepared for a 30% unemployment rate ?

35,000 per year die from traffic accidents. We could eliminate every one of those deaths with a 15 mph national speed limit, but in the process, destroy our way of life.

Its not just dollar signs vrs vital signs. That's far too simplistic.

Quote Originally Posted by jedicurt View Post
    ???? do you have proof of that? and that it hasn't affected the numbers? because i can show you proof that while not all people are social distancing, a decent chunk of them are.
    Don't know what kind of assumptions IHME modular was making on "total social distancing" , but these were not small misses. The US went from a mid-range estimate of about 250K to 160K for total beds needed. I highly doubt we became 2X more effective in the past 1 to 2 weeks with social distancing. I suspect there is large number of silent asymptomatic carriers that were not factored into the module. Even Fauci is coming onboard to this.

So we could have had a much larger spread than we though we had at the beginning. So it took longer to stop that exponential growth.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    This will drag on for months due to the patchwork approach, with too many exemptions for what should be non-essential businesses. If states like Oklahoma would just rip off the Band-aid and enforce strict social distancing, we could get through this much faster.
    Our hospitalization rate, which is probably the most useful stat in all of this, has essentially leveled off which would indicate that we’ve done something right over the last few weeks. I don’t really understand why you keep harping on that talking point. The majority of the population is staying at home...the restrictions in place now are the most we need here and I don’t envision them adding much that have any greater effect on what people are doing than those we already have in place. Nothing outside of gaining heard immunity or developing a vaccine is going to do anything other than slow this down. We’ve done enough to allow the hospitals and medical community to catch up...restrictions need to start being lifted in phases toward the last week of April or first week of May.

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    Our hospitalization rate, which is probably the most useful stat in all of this, has essentially leveled off which would indicate that we’ve done something right over the last few weeks. I don’t really understand why you keep harping on that talking point. The majority of the population is staying at home...the restrictions in place now are the most we need here and I don’t envision them adding much that have any greater effect on what people are doing than those we already have in place. Nothing outside of gaining heard immunity or developing a vaccine is going to do anything other than slow this down. We’ve done enough to allow the hospitals and medical community to catch up...restrictions need to start being lifted in phases toward the last week of April or first week of May.
    . Completely agree.

Quote Originally Posted by RedDollar View Post
    Are you prepared for a 30% unemployment rate ?

35,000 per year die from traffic accidents. We could eliminate every one of those deaths with a 15 mph national speed limit, but in the process, destroy our way of life.

Its not just dollar signs vrs vital signs. That's far too simplistic.
    all of this

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Boulder has been solidly in the dollar signs over vital signs camp from the very beginning.
    The toll that continued restrictions will have on the economy/our way of life vs the virus death toll is not an easy one, but it’s one that needs to be going on. You can’t just look at it from one side or the other. Anyone that can’t see both sides of this needs to be more realistic or has the lucky benefit of stable employment/income that hasn’t been affected by this yet or won't be.

the fewest new positives in over a week .. is avery good thing

Add to this that it appears that most businesses and the OK population seem to as a whole be taking the mask recommendation seriously. On a recent trip to Target and Lowe’s about 75%-85% of the people I saw were wearing masks and most of the employees were.

Add to this that it appears that most businesses and the OK population seem to as a whole be taking the mask recommendation seriously. On a recent trip to Target and Lowe’s about 75%-85% of the people I saw were wearing masks and most of the employees were.
    exactly. this is my observations as well.

i'm also still waiting to see how this is killing our economy. some businesses are not going to survive this, yes, i understand that. and it's going to change a lot about how people prepare for situations and how much they keep saved, etc... but that is the nature of a true free market. you adapt or you die. The economy is hurting but not dying like several of the posters on here are thinking. and relief for some of that is coming. but all disasters cause the end of some businesses, if they aren't able to survive the duration of the event, and don't adjust going forward. this is a true free market situation.

Thread Information