Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 455 FirstFirst 12345678954104 ... LastLast

Thread: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

Default Re: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

Quote Originally Posted by jedicurt View Post
    thanks for this. out of curiosity, where did you get the numbers?
    https://www.worldometers.info/corona...-demographics/

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    and almost all of those will be over 65
    And that's.....ok?

I personally am quite fond of my parents. I would imagine others care about someone in that age range as well.

Statements like that minimize the fact that people under 65 still get it, and will spread it to the people at risk.

and almost all of those will be over 65
    The point is?

This virus is a Bad Bitch, all jokes aside.

Hearing the Devon Energy Center is closed to the public due to the virus.

Quote Originally Posted by OkiePoke View Post
    Apologies if this sounds dumb, but just to be clear - is that to say they believe the building is somehow contaminated and/or they have positive-testing employees, or that they are closing access to the building to anyone other than employees to *prevent* it from coming in?

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    Apologies if this sounds dumb, but just to be clear - is that to say they believe the building is somehow contaminated and/or they have positive-testing employees, or that they are closing access to the building to anyone other than employees to *prevent* it from coming in?
    Closed to the public. Probably means closing Vast & Nebu. It sounds like they are trying to prevent it from coming into the building.

Major League Soccer has suspended for 30 days.

NHL will likely follow suit; already has told teams not to practice.

about .6% of the people that got sick will die ..
    No it's at least 1% but in some countries 2% or 3% (average 3.4%). So the most conservative figure is 10 times for more deadly than than the flu with a 14 max 3 day minimum (5 or 6 day) average incubation period. Some rare outliers take up to 27 days. Don't think for one minute that it will not kill young people remember you can catch it more than once.

It also has avery high hospitalization rate and a lot of people end up in ICU. How many more people can our ICU's handle. What happens when hospitals get overhwlemed and doctors and nurses start getting sick. At this point it's time to close all schools and ban most large gatherings. All state employee's that can should work from home. All test, treatment, and quarantines should be covered by the government.

This is serious and it's way worse than what the media is saying this is bad. If we are lucky will not end up like Italy or Iran. Maybe it will be more like south korea if we ramap up test and quarantine people.

PGA tournaments will continue, but without fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Lanni View Post
    And that's.....ok?

I personally am quite fond of my parents. I would imagine others care about someone in that age range as well.
    . . .and I'm kind of fond of me!!

about .6% of the people that got sick will die ..
    One thing you can count on is BoulderSooner claiming facts from thread to thread without any sources... and they are almost always wrong. First, we don't know the exact mortality rate. Even if it was 0.6 then that would be six times as deadly as the flu. However, most reports believe this is way too low. I've seen 1.4 mortality rate as a conservative estimate, which is 14 times the mortality. There are far higher mortality rates than these in several of the hard hit countries, but we're still learning about why. Unlike Boulder, I won't claim to know something experts are still trying to figure out.

An important thing to understand is that if this continues to spread our health care infrastructure will be so overwhelmed that people will start dying of other things too because they can't get care.

For people playing this down I'm curious how they think we're different from Italy, which is in absolute crisis? To me, we're less prepared than almost all these other countries and handling it far less effectively.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    The biggest point I see people missing is that we don't know if it's in the building. We're barely testing in the U.S. People walk around with this asympomatic for 5 or more days. Maybe Devon knows of a case or Jazz players or staff stopped by, but all businesses should operate as if they have an employee with it. This is how you prevent it from spreading or entering your business. Anyone that can work at home should be.

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    One thing you can count on is BoulderSooner claiming facts from thread to thread without any sources... and they are almost always wrong. First, we don't know the exact mortality rate. Even if it was 0.6 then that would be six times as deadly as the flu. However, most reports believe this is way too low. I've seen 1.4 mortality rate as a conservative estimate, which is 14 times the mortality. There are far higher mortality rates than these in several of the hard hit countries, but we're still learning about why. Unlike Boulder, I won't claim to know something experts are still trying to figure out.

An important thing to understand is that if this continues to spread our health care infrastructure will be so overwhelmed that people will start dying of other things too because they can't get care.

For people playing this down I'm curious how they think we're different from Italy, which is in absolute crisis? To me, we're less prepared than almost all these other countries and handling it far less effectively.
    that is the rate in south korea the country with the widest range of testing ...

they tested both the sick and the not sick ...

Quote Originally Posted by Cocaine View Post

it's way worse than what the media is saying this is bad. .
    no

Quote Originally Posted by OkiePoke View Post
    My understanding is Nebu is closed but I believe Vast may still be open.

I just made a run to Sam's at 39th & May (pet food, not hoarding) and you can see the full-on panic that has now set in.

It was as busy as I"ve ever seen it, and this was 11AM on a Thursday. People trucking out bottled water and all types of provisions.

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post

His horse is as high as they come. He just wants to make arrogant quips and assert how superior his opinion is.

Cancelling events & gatherings seems to be the right response. The key is to stop the spread and this is the only way to do so. I don't care if you think the mortality rate is low, the fewer deaths we can prevent the better and if we have to forfeit a few luxuries like watching sporting events for the universal good then so be it.

People act like the evil fake news American media is over reacting, even though other countries have enacted more extreme measures & the WHO has been issuing stark warnings.

OKCPS has cancelled all classes and activities for Friday, March 13th, solely as a precaution. There are no known cases of Covid-19 in the district.

@corwin1968 they should pretty much cancel classes until April. Since people weren't being tested, confirmed, isolated and tracked then it's out of control. Time to shut down most things we can only thank our leaders.

no
    Yes it is. I say this because I actually live in China and from the people I've talked to in wuhan and multiple videos leaked out online this **** is bad. Entire families were dying and so many doctors and nurses got sick that they had to bring in people from other places. The media doesn't even show the whole story if they do it's a week late. This is bad remember that today we are seeing sick people from 4 to 9 days ago. So if and when it does get bad then we are trying to work with cases from 9 days ago. It's always one step ahead this is very serious and the media is not overhyping it's much worse.

Reports coming out that Donovan Mitchell of the Utah Jazz (who has also tested positive) worked out at Del City HS on Wednesday AM and interacted with some of the team members and other people at the school.

Quote Originally Posted by jccouger View Post
    His horse is as high as they come. He just wants to make arrogant quips and assert how superior his opinion is.

Cancelling events & gatherings seems to be the right response. The key is to stop the spread and this is the only way to do so. I don't care if you think the mortality rate is low, the fewer deaths we can prevent the better and if we have to forfeit a few luxuries like watching sporting events for the universal good then so be it.

People act like the evil fake news American media is over reacting, even though other countries have enacted more extreme measures & the WHO has been issuing stark warnings.
    Yep, I had first hand knowledge of what was going down with the NBA and he continued to discount it, like I see him continuing to do with others that have first hand knowledge. Best just to ignore people like that.

This is a real threat and regardless of what level you think that threat is, we should all be taking extreme precautions to make sure this does_not_get_worse.

Medieval Fair is canceled. The Overholser Mansion has suspended tours and events.

Quote Originally Posted by Cocaine View Post
    @corwin1968 they should pretty much cancel classes until April. Since people weren't being tested, confirmed, isolated and tracked then it's out of control. Time to shut down most things we can only thank our leaders.

Yes it is. I say this because I actually live in China and from the people I've talked to in wuhan and multiple videos leaked out online this **** is bad. Entire families were dying and so many doctors and nurses got sick that they had to bring in people from other places. The media doesn't even show the whole story if they do it's a week late. This is bad remember that today we are seeing sick people from 4 to 9 days ago. So if and when it does get bad then we are trying to work with cases from 9 days ago. It's always one step ahead this is very serious and the media is not overhyping it's much worse.
    I won't be surprised if this happens.

Thread Information