Widgets Magazine
Page 338 of 455 FirstFirst ... 238288333334335336337338339340341342343388438 ... LastLast
Results 8,426 to 8,450 of 11357

Thread: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

1. Default Re: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Right, but they will be living with generally at-risk parents.

It's not a good situation to say the least.
    Yep, we're in agreement.

Default Re: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Robertson View Post
    I very unfortunately can now say I know someone who has died from COVID. A high school classmate who I liked very much has been taken by this horrible virus.
    I'm sorry for your loss.

I've been really struck by he indifference to COVID deaths and the rationalization that it's only unhealthy older people who die as if their lives don't matter (of course, this is also wrong). I would give up anything in the world to have another day with my grandparents. A lot of COVID deaths are shaving 10-20 years off people's lives. This really is a confluence of factors for the U.S.: political disinformation, the marginalization of the elderly, and a neoliberal valuing of profits over everything else (including health care).

We all look at the daily numbers on this board, but how often do we really grieve for the loss of so many?

I also am continually frustrated whenever I see people shrug it off as no big deal because of the low death rate. This thing is so ridiculously infectious so a small percentage of a really high number of people is still an unacceptable number of deaths. Those are also not just statistics, they're human lives. Grandparents, parents, siblings, friends, spouses, kids, etc.

And many of the people who survive often times don't fully recover. They end up with chronic ailments that are expensive to treat in this mess of a health care system that we have.

This country made sweeping institutional and legislative changes after 9/11.

We have a daily 9/11 now, and people are protesting at the Capitol because schools are not open every single day and people are mad about masks.

Enid has gone ahead of Stillwater again in total cases. Stillwater City Council recently passed required masked mandate into second reading with a 5-0 vote.

6. Default Re: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

Quote Originally Posted by Libbymin View Post
    I also am continually frustrated whenever I see people shrug it off as no big deal because of the low death rate. This thing is so ridiculously infectious so a small percentage of a really high number of people is still an unacceptable number of deaths. Those are also not just statistics, they're human lives. Grandparents, parents, siblings, friends, spouses, kids, etc.

And many of the people who survive often times don't fully recover. They end up with chronic ailments that are expensive to treat in this mess of a health care system that we have.
    I couldn't be more frustrated with people at large. I definitely had it once in March and I'm 99% sure I had it again starting week before last. I had exactly the same symptoms except for the addition of everything being fuzzy and fuzzy this time. I've read a little about the second time beinghas worse than the first time. What it they're right? So while dropping off the last few days the symptoms are still around. Even barely symptomatic sucks. I want to breathe without feeling it and pooping something other than liquid (Sorry for the detail).And not feeling like I'm responsible for everyone. I'm now convinced I'll have the after effects again for who knows how long. I already have the same hot flashes and sweating episodes that I had before. I'm really concerned that I'll wake up one morning experiencing symptoms and that really freaks me out. I've read a lot of cases that were over it for at lowe's a few ws as few weeks then it came back and was worse and the patient ended up in ICU.

Want to be frustrated? Read this tweet thread about Broken Arrow's City Council voting down a resolution to encourage—not mandate—mask mandates: https://twitter.com/ChrisKPolansky/s...14725870759938

I had a long conversion with a friend in England. Much stricter regulations and restrictions then what most people face over here. They have the tracing ap on their phones so that if anyone tests positive they use their phones to trace back where they were and who was close by. It alerts people that they may have been exposed to someone who has covid. If someone is outside their homes without a mask, other people with yell at them for endangering others.

9. Default Re: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

I mentioned it several months ago but I'm also still struggling with lingering side effects from it. I'm on my third steroid now still trying to get over it. First, they thought it was just a testosterone issue because my original PCP straight said it was going to disappear after the election. Due to that and a few other issues, we found another doctor (long story, but I'm on Keto and we also butted heads about that.) So we found a new doctor, Dr Resneder, in Norman, who actually follows the news on COVID-19. I've been on Kenalog and now Prednisone. Some days, I feel ok. Other days, I feel like I can barely walk across the house, muscles just feel weak. And so tired. Get numbness in my feet (thankfully, it was in my hands but that seems to have resolved for the most part - at least that part is just irritating and not actually painful. Brain fog. Will forget what I'm talking about all the damn time. STILL, months later. Best part? TMI coming...it seems to have straight nipped my sex drive in the bud. Like, 99.9%.

So yeah, it's a fine line between trying to keep informed with the news or spending all my energy being pissed at all these people who are like "No Big Deal". So tired of feeling tired. And the steroids are wrecking my previously awesome blood sugar (yeah, I'm at risk due to diabetes, which I was ((super successfully)), previously just treating with a keto diet. I honestly believe that is what kept it from getting worse.)) And...never even knew I was sick to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesFiend View Post
    ... my original PCP straight said it was going to disappear after the election...
    Big yikes.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesFiend View Post
    I mentioned it several months ago but I'm also still struggling with lingering side effects from it. I'm on my third steroid now still trying to get over it. First, they thought it was just a testosterone issue because my original PCP straight said it was going to disappear after the election. Due to that and a few other issues, we found another doctor (long story, but I'm on Keto and we also butted heads about that.) So we found a new doctor, Dr Resneder, in Norman, who actually follows the news on COVID-19. I've been on Kenalog and now Prednisone. Some days, I feel ok. Other days, I feel like I can barely walk across the house, muscles just feel weak. And so tired. Get numbness in my feet (thankfully, it was in my hands but that seems to have resolved for the most part - at least that part is just irritating and not actually painful. Brain fog. Will forget what I'm talking about all the damn time. STILL, months later. Best part? TMI coming...it seems to have straight nipped my sex drive in the bud. Like, 99.9%.

So yeah, it's a fine line between trying to keep informed with the news or spending all my energy being pissed at all these people who are like "No Big Deal". So tired of feeling tired. And the steroids are wrecking my previously awesome blood sugar (yeah, I'm at risk due to diabetes, which I was ((super successfully)), previously just treating with a keto diet. I honestly believe that is what kept it from getting worse.)) And...never even knew I was sick to begin with.
    You should file a complaint to the medical board on your original PCP

Quote Originally Posted by oklip955 View Post
    I had a long conversion with a friend in England. Much stricter regulations and restrictions then what most people face over here. They have the tracing ap on their phones so that if anyone tests positive they use their phones to trace back where they were and who was close by. It alerts people that they may have been exposed to someone who has covid. If someone is outside their homes without a mask, other people with yell at them for endangering others.
    My sister lives over there and while she was just furloughed for the second time, she is still getting 80% of her paycheck during the lockdown. Some employers will make up the remaining 20% for their employees too.

Quote Originally Posted by Libbymin View Post
    My sister lives over there and while she was just furloughed for the second time, she is still getting 80% of her paycheck during the lockdown. Some employers will make up the remaining 20% for their employees too.
    The article I posted a few days back said this is basically the way every country should handle things (and some smart ones *have* done that) - close everything, pay people their full (or as close as you can to full) salaries/paychecks, get it under control, *then* start reopening, but don't do the absolutely stupid **** the USA has done on reopening (fling the doors wide open, come one come all, get your COVID-19 here, no masks, no social distancing). But we'll never do that, capitalism has won (a long time ago), screw the people, shares must always go up no matter what, forever and ever, amen.

How to save lives and save the economy: 7 key recommendations for the new surge of COVID-19

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    The article I posted a few days back said this is basically the way every country should handle things (and some smart ones *have* done that) - close everything, pay people their full (or as close as you can to full) salaries/paychecks, get it under control, *then* start reopening, but don't do the absolutely stupid **** the USA has done on reopening (fling the doors wide open, come one come all, get your COVID-19 here, no masks, no social distancing). But we'll never do that, capitalism has won (a long time ago), screw the people, shares must always go up no matter what, forever and ever, amen.
    Yeah the frustrating thing is we *know* how to mitigate this, we just lack the political will to actually do it. Shut down restaurants and other places of recreation for in-person, indoors activities, suspend their rent/pay the employees. Prioritize keeping schools open. Require masks. Accept a couple of fortnight-long lockdowns in times of spikes (though I'd like to see them targeted to regions rather than nationwide).

Interest rates are so stupid low right now that we can afford to run up the deficit. An ounce of prevention is better than a pound of cure.

Quote Originally Posted by PoliSciGuy View Post
    .... Accept a couple of fortnight-long lockdowns in times of spikes (though I'd like to see them targeted to regions rather than nationwide).

The same article I mentioned (and edited my post to include apparently after you replied) says the exact same thing. Horrible shame we'll never do it.

2,736 new cases today. 7-day rolling average now 3,172, well above yesterday's all-time high.

15 additional deaths. 7-day rolling average now 17.1; all-time high had been yesterday's 15.9.

Hopspitalizations are 1,566 (+61), an all-time high.

ICU is 446 (-4) down slightly from Saturday's all-time high of 450.

Press release:

Oklahoma City’s mask ordinance extended until Jan. 22
    11/24/2020

Oklahoma City’s mask ordinance is in place until at least Jan. 22 after the City Council voted Tuesday to extend the requirement to wear face coverings in indoor public places.

The emergency public safety ordinance was set to expire Dec. 7, but Tuesday’s action moved the expiration date to Jan. 22. The Council has discretion to revisit the expiration date at future meetings.

Public health officials say face coverings are key to slowing the spread of COVID-19. Cases are growing at a slower rate in cities in Oklahoma with mask mandates when compared to cities without them, according to public health data.

Click here to see a presentation from Tuesday’s meeting by the OKC-County Health Department (OCCHD). You can watch the presentation in video from the meeting on the City’s YouTube channel at youtube.com/cityofokc.

Evidence shows there’s a high risk of infected people spreading the virus with their breath if they don’t use a face covering. Evidence also shows infected people can spread the virus even if they don’t have symptoms, underscoring the importance of mask-wearing even for people who feel healthy.

Free signs about the mask requirement to print for display at local businesses and other public spaces, along with social media graphics and animations, are available on a public shared drive at covid19.okc.gov. The free signs are available in English, Spanish (español), Vietnamese (Tiếng Việt), Arabic (عربى) and Korean (한국어).

Visit covid19.okc.gov for the latest on the coronavirus in Oklahoma City.

Face covering requirements
    Everyone in Oklahoma City age 11 and up is required to wear a face covering, like a mask or face shield, in indoor public spaces. There are some exceptions.

Public health officials also recommend face coverings for children age 3 and up, although it’s not a requirement in the emergency ordinance.

Face coverings are required only in indoor spaces open to the public, including private property.

The face covering must cover both the nose and mouth. A face shield is an alternative to a cloth face covering or mask. Here are general CDC recommendations about cloth face coverings and masks.

Exceptions to face covering requirements are:

• Children age 10 and under, unless required by a school or daycare.
    • People working in an office who don’t have face-to-face interactions with the public.
    • Patrons of restaurants, bars and similar establishments while eating or drinking.
    • People in settings where it isn’t practical or feasible to wear a face covering, like receiving dental services, swimming or playing at a sprayground.
    • People engaged in sports (including for recreation).
    • People engaged in cardio exercises. But people should make reasonable efforts to observe social distancing between groups of people from different households.
    • People inside any federal, state or county building or facility.
    • People inside a public or private school building or facility, unless required by the school.
    • People at a religious service or ceremony where social distancing is observed between groups of people from different households.
    • People with a developmental disability.
    • People who are deaf or hard-of-hearing, and people who are communicating with someone who is deaf or hard-of-hearing.

The requirements expire Jan. 22, unless the Council takes further action.

Enforcement
    People can report violations of the mask ordinance to the Action Center using one of four ways:

Online at okc.gov/action
    By email to action.center@okc.gov
    By text message to (405) 252-1053
    Via the OKC Connect smartphone app for iOS and Android devices

Action Center staff will make a report that is routed to OCCHD, whose inspectors will respond to reports.

When responding, inspectors will first offer a mask or an opportunity for the person to leave the public, indoor space.

People who refuse to wear the mask or leave would be subject to a fine of $9 on a conviction for a first or second offense. The fine would rise to a maximum of $100 for third and subsequent offenses.

In situations where someone is refusing to leave or to wear a mask, call 911 for Police Department enforcement of trespassing ordinances.

People with a medical condition preventing them from safely wearing a mask can produce a document from their physician confirming that information, and will not be subject to a conviction and fine related to the mask ordinance.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Press release:

Oklahoma City’s mask ordinance extended until Jan. 22
    11/24/2020

Oklahoma City’s mask ordinance is in place until at least Jan. 22 after the City Council voted Tuesday to extend the requirement to wear face coverings in indoor public places.

The emergency public safety ordinance was set to expire Dec. 7, but Tuesday’s action moved the expiration date to Jan. 22. The Council has discretion to revisit the expiration date at future meetings.

Public health officials say face coverings are key to slowing the spread of COVID-19. Cases are growing at a slower rate in cities in Oklahoma with mask mandates when compared to cities without them, according to public health data.

Click here to see a presentation from Tuesday’s meeting by the OKC-County Health Department (OCCHD). You can watch the presentation in video from the meeting on the City’s YouTube channel at youtube.com/cityofokc.

Evidence shows there’s a high risk of infected people spreading the virus with their breath if they don’t use a face covering. Evidence also shows infected people can spread the virus even if they don’t have symptoms, underscoring the importance of mask-wearing even for people who feel healthy.

Free signs about the mask requirement to print for display at local businesses and other public spaces, along with social media graphics and animations, are available on a public shared drive at covid19.okc.gov. The free signs are available in English, Spanish (español), Vietnamese (Tiếng Việt), Arabic (عربى) and Korean (한국어).

Visit covid19.okc.gov for the latest on the coronavirus in Oklahoma City.

Face covering requirements
    Everyone in Oklahoma City age 11 and up is required to wear a face covering, like a mask or face shield, in indoor public spaces. There are some exceptions.

Public health officials also recommend face coverings for children age 3 and up, although it’s not a requirement in the emergency ordinance.

Face coverings are required only in indoor spaces open to the public, including private property.

The face covering must cover both the nose and mouth. A face shield is an alternative to a cloth face covering or mask. Here are general CDC recommendations about cloth face coverings and masks.

Exceptions to face covering requirements are:

• Children age 10 and under, unless required by a school or daycare.
    • People working in an office who don’t have face-to-face interactions with the public.
    • Patrons of restaurants, bars and similar establishments while eating or drinking.
    • People in settings where it isn’t practical or feasible to wear a face covering, like receiving dental services, swimming or playing at a sprayground.
    • People engaged in sports (including for recreation).
    • People engaged in cardio exercises. But people should make reasonable efforts to observe social distancing between groups of people from different households.
    • People inside any federal, state or county building or facility.
    • People inside a public or private school building or facility, unless required by the school.
    • People at a religious service or ceremony where social distancing is observed between groups of people from different households.
    • People with a developmental disability.
    • People who are deaf or hard-of-hearing, and people who are communicating with someone who is deaf or hard-of-hearing.

The requirements expire Jan. 22, unless the Council takes further action.

Enforcement
    People can report violations of the mask ordinance to the Action Center using one of four ways:

Online at okc.gov/action
    By email to action.center@okc.gov
    By text message to (405) 252-1053
    Via the OKC Connect smartphone app for iOS and Android devices

Action Center staff will make a report that is routed to OCCHD, whose inspectors will respond to reports.

When responding, inspectors will first offer a mask or an opportunity for the person to leave the public, indoor space.

People who refuse to wear the mask or leave would be subject to a fine of $9 on a conviction for a first or second offense. The fine would rise to a maximum of $100 for third and subsequent offenses.

In situations where someone is refusing to leave or to wear a mask, call 911 for Police Department enforcement of trespassing ordinances.

People with a medical condition preventing them from safely wearing a mask can produce a document from their physician confirming that information, and will not be subject to a conviction and fine related to the mask ordinance.
    Reporting to the Action Center most likely doesn't do ****, I've done it and have yet to receive a reply to the complaints at all (not "routed to OCCHD", not "Deleted because we don't care", just silence, and they're usually 100% on replying to anything reported to them).

19. Default Re: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

Some other interesting numbers pulled off of worldometers https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

Oklahoma population rank: 28th
    OKlahoma total cases rank: 27th
    Oklahoma total active cases rank: 35th
    OKlahoma total deaths rank: 32nd
    Oklahoma total recovered: 18th
    Oklahoma total cases/1million: 20th
    Oklahoma total deaths/1million: 40th

20. Default Re: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

Reporting to the Action Center most likely doesn't do ****, I've done it and have yet to receive a reply to the complaints at all (not "routed to OCCHD", not "Deleted because we don't care", just silence, and they're usually 100% on replying to anything reported to them).
    I've wondered about this. You're right about them responding. They always respond to me whether they actually take any action or not. If they're not responding at all it suggests they're just ignoring complaints it seems to me.

For those that go to basketball games (college or Thunder), David Maas of the Quick Change halftime act died of Covid-19 at 59. He was performing as late as May. One of the few halftime acts I'd actually stay and watch at Thunder games. I probably saw them 10 times over the years.

Following along with the City Council discussion (starting from https://twitter.com/OKC_SPAN/status/1331252064748498947 and down a few dozen tweets), it occurs to me how incredibly fortunate we are with our current city council membership. A few more Greiners and Stones and the city would be left twisting in the wind instead of having a COVID-19 response that are least tries to follow the science.

23. Default Re: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    For those that go to basketball games (college or Thunder), David Maas of the Quick Change halftime act died of Covid-19 at 59. He was performing as late as May. One of the few halftime acts I'd actually stay and watch at Thunder games. I probably saw them 10 times over the years.
    I heard that on the way to work. Very sad. They were a good act.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Robertson View Post
    I've wondered about this. You're right about them responding. They always respond to me whether they actually take any action or not. If they're not responding at all it suggests they're just ignoring complaints it seems to me.
    When I checked email just now, saw that they did respond, 4 days after this complaint, said no violations were found, all employees were wearing masks (far cry from what I saw, which was no employees and only about half the customers, and I'll go ahead and call them out here, it was Forest Lumber). At least they are following up, but it's a completely toothless mandate, so who cares if you get a violation - take a $10 bill out of your wallet and give it to whoever comes in and writes the violation, and you're good and even get a dollar back in change (and yes, I know that's not how it really works, but it's still toothless).

Oh, and can anybody explain why people wear masks that don't cover the nose? Are they truly that stupid and science-deficient, are they "complying" with the mandate, ....? I literally cannot understand why someone would wear a mask that way.

25. Default Re: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

Oh, and can anybody explain why people wear masks that don't cover the nose?
    Mouth breathers?

Thread Information