Widgets Magazine
Page 188 of 455 FirstFirst ... 88138183184185186187188189190191192193238288 ... LastLast
Results 4,676 to 4,700 of 11357

Thread: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

Default Re: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

Looks like the big idea out of the Edmond City Council is to require businesses to put up signage of their mask policy on the door.

So great, now all the antimaskers can more easily find each other and congregate.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    Looks like the big idea out of the Edmond City Council is to require businesses to put up signage of their mask policy on the door.

So great, now all the antimaskers can more easily find each other and congregate.
    Went to Edmond Natural Grocers Friday, and at least 40%+ of the customers were not wearing masks. The irony is why go shopping in a store for organic healthier products, and not wear a mask ( like all staff and over half of the customers )? Sorta like going to Doctors office, with pneumonia and smoking in the examination room.

I have yet to see/find any data on whether or wearing or not wearing a mask prevented or did not prevent a COVID positive test. I don’t mean wear a mask because x person says so. I mean data what shows x many people got COViD because they didn’t wear a mark or x many people got COVID that wore a mask.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Kids have been out of school since March. The virus is spreading much faster now than when schools closed. Do you honestly believe that school closures haven't been directly responsible for kids not getting sick?

This is absurd. Since reopening cases have gone through the roof and it was only slowed by the closures.
    This is what I am talking about in only talking numerator numbers. What is the ratio of kids who get COVID to hospitalized and die?. It is lower than the flu. Yes kids will get it in school, but the risk right now according to ratios is lower than the flu for children. That remains the question. Are we going to shutdown school every year from November to April during flu season?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by emtefury View Post
    This is what I am talking about in only talking numerator numbers. What is the ratio of kids who get COVID to hospitalized and die?. It is lower than the flu. Yes kids will get it in school, but the risk right now according to ratios is lower than the flu for children. That remains the question. Are we going to shutdown school every year from November to April during flu season?
    This is the spin that the right is pushing ... to keep calling it the flu. Problem is, that’s a wholly ignorant comparison. It is far more contagious, far more deadly, and the numbers prove it out. There aren’t any respectable medical experts who claim this is only like the flu. But it hasn’t kept a certain slice of Americans from promoting the idea for political reasons.

6. Default Re: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

Pretty obvious, at this point, what needs to happen:

1) Mandate Universal Mask Wearing
    2) Send the Kids back to school
    3) Keep the Vulnerable on a tight, tight Lockdown
    4) Send everyone $660/month, even those who might be here on an illegal basis
    5) Legalize Recreational Marijuana

Quote Originally Posted by Ronnie Jackson View Post

Sounds like a Helluva Deal.

Make it $5k/month and you'll have my vote!

Even with the lower risk of children having ill effects from the virus, what about the teachers? It's a similar trickle effect as we should be worrying about with hospitals and healthcare workers. If a teacher tests positive, that's two weeks they're away from school (conservatively, if they don't suffer from symptoms). So you bring in subs, but what happens when they start getting sick, or there aren't enough available? Or how about teachers or kids with family members with health concerns having to take that home with them?

Do you start closing schools only if they have positive tests? I feel like that'd be more inconvenient as parents won't have any notice in those situations.

I guess I am on the tight tight lockdown. No grocery delivery available so, I guess I'll have to garden and hunt.

Are you being serious????

13. Default Re: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

Quote Originally Posted by ericrsports View Post
    Even with the lower risk of children having ill effects from the virus, what about the teachers? It's a similar trickle effect as we should be worrying about with hospitals and healthcare workers. If a teacher tests positive, that's two weeks they're away from school (conservatively, if they don't suffer from symptoms). So you bring in subs, but what happens when they start getting sick, or there aren't enough available? Or how about teachers or kids with family members with health concerns having to take that home with them?

Do you start closing schools only if they have positive tests? I feel like that'd be more inconvenient as parents won't have any notice in those situations.
    Also, do you plan to give every teacher that needs to quarantine for 2 weeks sick leave? With an already underfunded public school system in Oklahoma, exposing countless teachers, paying sick leave, paying subs, etc. seems impractical... not to mention the countless children who could get exposed and bring that back to their families.

Here's where we start to see the strain in healthcare triage. My system is now at 22, was 15 just yesterday. The problem is the ERs when they go on ambulance divert. If a hospital is out of ICU beds (including overflow ICU) they will hold the person in the ER (not ICU care to be sure but best option given choice). This diverts ambulances from that ER because the bay is now occupied and so they push on to the next hospital not on ER divert. You can see how this can snowball. Also, staffing needs are driving some of the outpatient areas to close so those clinical personnel can staff the units.
    It's like a disaster drill run by David Lynch.

Quote Originally Posted by jdizzle View Post
    So how am I supposed to handle it? I am sorry about your family member, and I hope they recover very quickly!

But am I supposed to live in terror of this? I am careful, and advocate for others to be careful, as well. I just don't think that manipulation and fear-mongering are the best ways to do that. But I will pick a new topic to BS about, since my opinion goes against the masses on this board.
    Nobody said to live in fear. Grow up. Quit pretending this is the flu.. Quit recycling red herrings to be argumentative and dismissive. Why minimize something that is now second only to the Spanish Flu in American deaths?

For the record: 546 are now hospitalized in Oklahoma, the most since the Pandemic began.

I have yet to see/find any data on whether or wearing or not wearing a mask prevented or did not prevent a COVID positive test. I don’t mean wear a mask because x person says so. I mean data what shows x many people got COViD because they didn’t wear a mark or x many people got COVID that wore a mask.
    The reason you have yet to find that data is because such a premise is impossible to examine empirically. How would you know for sure that masking was the reason people did or didn't get COVID? You can't put a bunch of people in a room, some of whom have COVID, and give some folks masks and others not. That'd be an impossibly unethical test to run. What we do know is that the disease transmits via respiratory droplets (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7293495/) and that masks decrease the emission of droplets (http://files.fast.ai/papers/masks_lit_review.pdf) therefore decreasing the odds of transmission. This is backed by numerous peer reviewed studies. Stop ignoring a mountain of evidence because of a ridiculous research premise.

17. Default Re: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

993. We are in trouble folks.

993 (!!!) new cases today.

4 additional deaths.

Quote Originally Posted by FighttheGoodFight View Post
    993. We are in trouble folks.
    i was oh so close when I said we would be over 1,000 cases. Oh and we are in massive trouble mask at this point won't fix this problem it's too widespread at this point

Also what is scary is the July 4th weekend numbers probably haven't even hit yet. 1,250 cases by next Tuesday?

Wonder if now our elected officials will enact mandatory masks in public or do some roll backs? As someone else said earlier, will it take 1000 cases a day or 2000 or ? I cannot see in classroom schooling this fall working out.

Quote Originally Posted by oklip955 View Post
    Wonder if now our elected officials will enact mandatory masks in public or do some roll backs? As someone else said earlier, will it take 1000 cases a day or 2000 or ? I cannot see in classroom schooling this fall working out.
    James Cooper replied to my email asking OKC to make masks mandatory and said he supports an ordinance asking residents to wear masks in public. Asking, not making - important difference. And they're not even gonna do anything on Thu when they meet, just talk. Insane.

Quote Originally Posted by oklip955 View Post
    I cannot see in classroom schooling this fall working out.
    We had a daycare for years, and we had to police parents just giving their kids Tylenol to hide a fever so they could drop them off and go to work. It happened a lot. There is no way that doesn't happen with schools this fall. Sniffles? Slight Fever? Give them Tylenol and send them to school!

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    993 (!!!) new cases today.

4 additional deaths.
    This is shaping up to be a perfect storm with the rise in unemployment claims in Oklahoma and the lack of repeat stimulus $. It won't take much for people to not be able to afford their insulin or blood pressure meds and they will start rationing their meds. When it gets to the breaking point and they need critical care for a possible stroke or diabetic ketoacidosis, ERs will be full.

Also, now is not the time to learn to drive an ATV or get up on that old wooden ladder to clean the debris out of the gutters...

Thread Information