Widgets Magazine
Page 10 of 455 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141560110 ... LastLast

Thread: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

Default Re: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

Quote Originally Posted by d-usa View Post
    The death rate is still important and is as accurate as any other death rate: deaths per case of confirmed disease.

It’s the same thing for influenza, cancer, etc. We count known deaths from confirmed cases. People like to point out that the rate is probably lower because many people with mild COVID never get tested, but most people with influenza never get tested (and are not counted) as well.
    China is part of rates and they cannot be trusted.

Its just too early to get good rates. Deaths are all we know for fact and its low considering the amount of panic. And no deaths in US to under 50 age. And half were in one elderly complex.

It seems most of America has shut down which will help a ton.

I hate Hoarders. What happened to these two morons cracked me up.
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/he...lIdBbcXzGR-KYw

Went to a funeral this morning, one observation i did have....
    I saw 4 different people in the 65+ age range coughing into their hands and not their sleeve. I saw people in the 30 or younger age range all coughing in their sleeve.

We have to teach the older people the proper way to cough.

double post.

France is basically shutting everything down. Meanwhile UK is taking a hard immunity approach

OKC memorial marathon postponed to October 4.

7. Default Re: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

Quote Originally Posted by Libbymin View Post
    Yep. Just saw it.
    Quote Originally Posted by OKCretro View Post
    Went to a funeral this morning, one observation i did have....
    I saw 4 different people in the 65+ age range coughing into their hands and not their sleeve. I saw people in the 30 or younger age range all coughing in their sleeve.

We have to teach the older people the proper way to cough.
    I just cough down the inside of my shirt.

Governor Stitt just posted him with his kids at the “packed” Collective. All these places should be closed, but I guess everyone can spread this and wait to close until it’s spread.

Social Distancing: https://www.washingtonpost.com/graph...ona-simulator/

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    Governor Stitt just posted him with his kids at the “packed” Collective. All these places should be closed, but I guess everyone can spread this and wait to close until it’s spread.

He deleted it but there are plenty of screenshots out there.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    OKC memorial marathon postponed to October 4.
    I had a feeling that was coming. Glad it didn't get full on canceled this year.

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post

Crazy to do that. We went to Patty Wagon today at lunch and sat as far away from others as we could, used napkins to touch anything that might've been touched by others (iced tea spigot, ketchup bottle, etc.), and washed our hands when we left.

What's interesting to think about, though, is the keypads on all the card readers/ATMs, your card itself, the things in stores that others have touched and put back, pens you use to sign credit card receipts (I used my own at Patty Wagon ).....

I went to dinner at Frida last night (that place is just fantastic) and they were quite busy as was the rest of the Paseo.

With no sports on and almost every event cancelled, people don't have anything else to do but to go out to bars and restaurants.

It may be just a weekend thing, but people seem to be going out a lot.

13. Default Re: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I went to dinner at Frida last night (that place is just fantastic) and they were quite busy as was the rest of the Paseo.

With no sports on and almost every event cancelled, people don't have anything else to do but to go out to bars and restaurants.

What do you think the odds are those places will be under mandatory closer very soon?

The wife and I have made a deliberate decision to eat out at local restaurants during this time and to tip a bit more than usual. We've eaten out at least two meals a day for several days now.

I picked up a pizza at halls last night. Same thing. Went to ganache during off hours, full house too.

Quote Originally Posted by BBatesokc View Post
    What do you think the odds are those places will be under mandatory closer very soon?

The wife and I have made a deliberate decision to eat out at local restaurants during this time and to tip a bit more than usual. We've eaten out at least two meals a day for several days now.
    While I completely understand this, the main reason China and South Korea pulled out of this was a complete shutdown. I worry that that this type of activity (social distancing but still going out, etc.) will only make the situation worse in the long run

Our political system and culture will simply not allow for total shutdown as they have done in other countries.

That, combined with the fact so many people don't have health insurance, have poor health insurance or in the case of most rural areas, poor access to healthcare... Makes out situation potentially much, much harder to control.

People freaked out for a few days, hoarded toilet paper but no way people are staying out of bars and restaurants and no way the government shuts them down.

17. Default Re: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

Now is the time to start social distancing. I know many can't because of lack of insurance or financial hardship, but those who can should definitely start. It may not reduce the number of cases in the long term, but it will help flatten the curve so our medical facilities are overwhelmed like in Italy.

18. Default Re: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

There are new studies that are showing that there is more transmission from asymptomatic people than was previously thought. This is why you should avoid going out unless you absolutely have to.
    https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/14/healt...ead/index.html

Is it just complete disregard or head-in-sandism in Oklahoma?

I made it a point to drive by several restaurants on the way home from work last night. BWW's had about 12 cars in the parking lot, Texas Roadhouse had about 20 cars, On The Border had 10 or so, and Red Robin had about 10-15. This was at 9pm on Saturday night in Colo Springs. I mentioned up thread I went to Outback on Friday night to pick up a togo order of wings and was literally the only patron at 9PM.

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    Is it just complete disregard or head-in-sandism in Oklahoma?
    There is definitely a political aspect to all this, where the red states are much more likely to think this is just overblown by the evil, liberal press and thus not really believe there is a strong threat.

There is definitely a political aspect to all this, where the red states are much more likely to think this is just overblown by the evil, liberal press and thus not really believe there is a strong threat.
    I mentioned this in the OKC aviation thread and I think there is some correlation. OKC and TUL have the highest load factors in the UA network right now and have seen practically zero cuts. 86% which is like a usual day in August. So far, even Delta's pretty public announcement of a severe cutback only resulted in trimming OKC-Detroit to 1 daily instead of 2 for May.

Meanwhile markets on the coasts and those you would consider more blue have cratered.

22. Default Re: Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)

Quote Originally Posted by Soonerinfiniti View Post
    While I completely understand this, the main reason China and South Korea pulled out of this was a complete shutdown. I worry that that this type of activity (social distancing but still going out, etc.) will only make the situation worse in the long run
    Worry all you want and build a fortress of TP around you while you're at it. I'm going to patronize local restaurants during this time and I'm going to do it while taking the necessary and reasonable precautions.

That’s the problem with the argument of “the numbers in China are already improving”, as a counter for all the current actions being taken.

1. They are still growing, just slower (which is flattening they curve and what we want).
    2. China didn’t just completely shut down everything. China basically nailed doors shut and locked entire buildings down and prevented people from even leaving their homes and left them there for them, and the virus, to die out.

That’s why their curve is flattening.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/15/polit...ntv/index.html

The nation's top infectious disease expert on Sunday did not rule out supporting a temporary national lockdown of the country's restaurants and bars in order to curb the spread of coronavirus, saying he'd like to see a "dramatic" reduction in activity in order to fight the disease.

Blog Entries

Here’s where we seem to be in America...
    “If I am in the non at risk population, I will still go out all I want. If I get sick, I’ll be uncomfortable and then go on. I won’t die, so I don’t really care about the others I may infect and how it causes people to DIE. That’s their problem.”

Thread Information