Widgets Magazine

Thread: Looking for "pie and mash" in the metro. Any leads?

Default Looking for "pie and mash" in the metro. Any leads?

This is what I'm talking about:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	regional_british_food_london_pie_mash.0.0.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	124.5 KB 
ID:	15826

I ran across this on a recommended YouTube video. It's a meat pie with potatoes and an interesting eel broth and parsley sauce called "liquor"; I guess named like our "pot likker" from collard greens. I'm a fan of British cuisine anyway, but I'd love to give this a go. Is it available anywhere? Also, are eels similarly around? Apparently frying them in medallion form is a thing there.

Default Re: Looking for "pie and mash" in the metro. Any leads?

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kimball View Post
    This is what I'm talking about:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	regional_british_food_london_pie_mash.0.0.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	124.5 KB 
ID:	15826

I ran across this on a recommended YouTube video. It's a meat pie with potatoes and an interesting eel broth and parsley sauce called "liquor"; I guess named like our "pot likker" from collard greens. I'm a fan of British cuisine anyway, but I'd love to give this a go. Is it available anywhere? Also, are eels similarly around? Apparently frying them in medallion form is a thing there.
    Joe,
    Check out Sean Cumming's Irish pub on North May. They are not open for lunch but their food is the best English type food that I have found. I took my friend from London there and she was impressed. I've had the bangers and mash, fish and chips, and lamb shank. My friend had the shepherd's pie. They also have an English breakfast which includes white and black pudding. The sausage/bangers are brought in from Chicago and taste just like I have had in England and Ireland. Speaking of pudding, I have a very easy and simple recipe for Yorkshire pudding if you are interested.
    C. T.

Thanks, C.T.; I do see that there's a pie and mash thing done in the Irish or Scottish way, which I'll happily try. They themselves freely say that they don't really do the English thing (which is understandable ). All of our pub restaurants seem to not be so English, that I've seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kimball View Post
    Thanks, C.T.; I do see that there's a pie and mash thing done in the Irish or Scottish way, which I'll happily try. They themselves freely say that they don't really do the English thing (which is understandable ). All of our pub restaurants seem to not be so English, that I've seen.
    Joe,
    They try but Sean is of Irish descent and has gone to Ireland (more than once) to make sure he does things in the Irish way. He has had more than one Irish pub. All were good. He started out with a seafood restaurant called Boca Boca, changed it to an Irish pub, then moved to a place next to his wife's restaurant (Vito's) but after a year the strip mall owner decided he didn't like having a "pub" so he re-opened it as something else. Then he moved to his current location (and Vito's did also). Live Irish music and good food.
    C. T.

Yes indeed, all correct.

I did go that evening, and it was all very good—Sean conceded that he was a bit more American with the seasoning, which I was happy with. There may be other English type places around, but this does seem to be the closest and best game in town to NW OKC.

Thread Information