Widgets Magazine
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Racism in America

Blog Entries

Default Re: Racism in America

Quote Originally Posted by OKCRT View Post
    Not sure either but Super Prez said many blacks and latinos don't know how to register to vote or get on the internet. Do you consider that a racist remark? He must think they are pretty stupid.
    President Joe Biden gave his very first town hall as President last night (Feb. 17) on CNN, and unlike his predecessor, connecting with voters on an empathetic level is his biggest draw. However, like every person in power, he made a pretty big faux paus when addressing the vaccine disparity among Black and Latino communities.

The town hall took place in Milwaukee, and a local doctor asked why out of all the vaccines administered, only 3% of Black people and 5% of Latinos had received the vaccine, despite being two of the communities hardest hit by COVID-19.

Biden’s response was two parts. First, after he reminded the doctor of why the Black and Latino communities are distrusting of vaccines, being that Black people were used as “guinea pigs and other experiments,” for far too long in our history. Biden also addressed the lack of walk up vaccine centers for marginalized communities who do not have access to cars. He plans on sending community health centers, which “take care of the toughest of the toughest neighborhoods in terms of illness,” a million vaccine doses a week (though that claim was challenged by fact checkers). He also addressed his administration’s plans to send mobile units to neighborhoods most impacted.

But the next part is where he fumbled.

“Not everybody in the community–in the Hispanic and the African American community, particularly in rural areas that are distant and/or inner-city districts–know how to use–know how to get online to determine how to get in line for that COVID vaccination at the Walgreens or at the particular store.”

The inference that Black and Latino communities don’t know how to get online, well, it’s obviously incorrect. In fact, Latinos are the leaders when it comes to new tech usage, embracing social media, smartphones, and apps during the pandemic more than ever before.

What Biden was referring to is the many reports older generations of Latinos and Black folks being unable to schedule vaccine appointments due to systemic barriers like access to Spanish language sites and information, lack of internet services in more economically challenged and/or rural areas, and lack of a vaccine site close enough.

In a follow up response, he clarified a bit further. “It’s all about trying to more rationalize in detail so ordinary people, like me, can understand,” Biden stated. “I mean that sincerely. I mean, you know, my grandchildren can use that online–you know, make me look like I’m in, you know, the seventh century.”
    https://remezcla.com/culture/preside...-use-internet/

Agreed, it is disgusting that data leaks like this keep occuring.

4. Default Re: Racism in America

Yes, Alternet is disgusting. The National Observer of the leftwingnuts.

I guess police don't have rights anymore or that Kyle Rittenhouse doesn't deserve a fair trial that doesn't degrade into a race-baiting media circus.

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    Yes, Alternet is disgusting. The National Observer of the leftwingnuts.

I guess police don't have rights anymore or that Kyle Rittenhouse doesn't deserve a fair trial that doesn't degrade into a race-baiting media circus.
    Is The Guardian a "National Observer of leftwingnuts"?

Read the article, follow the links, act like you have an iota of intelligence, this is the original article Alternet referenced.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...te-data-breach

Quote Originally Posted by SouthSide View Post
    Agreed, it is disgusting that data leaks like this keep occuring.
    Have you ever said or typed "Blue Lives Matter"?

7. Default Re: Racism in America

Lets see if l can enlighted you on intelligence. Silly emoji's don't make your response any more accurate. You've had it pointed out alternet isn't a reliable source of information. I stated Alternet uses a false trigger title that has little to do with the article. Everything l address has to do with rights.

Kyle Rittenhouse is no angel but he is being charged with 1st degree murder which doesn't match the video, his claims and the generally accepted accounts. The officers are fully within their RIGHTS to express their freedom of speech.

1. Wisconsin is an open carry state, so anyone 18 or older can visibly carry the rifle under state law. Unless someone had checked his age, no one would have known his age.

2. Nothing in Rittenhouse's actions indicated he was there to kill anyone but was there to guard a business but left becausevofvthe hostilities. There was also a group of armed citizens expressing and acting on their right to protect their town.

3. Videos of the killings leave it highly possible that he was acting in self defense in all cases. The jury will have to put them all together and make that determination.

4. Rittenhouse has been caste as a white supremacist which, even Politifact has termed a "going too far" in that assessment. Politifact'siii investigation found no evidence he was associated with any organization of that type.

5. Rittenhouse tried to give himself up but was waived to leave.

6. Your article makes it's slant known from the start by lumping Rittenhouse in with vigilante shooters and far-right activists.

7. All the Guardian is saying the crowdfunding site is sometimes used by right wing people. Is it not their right?

Lets see if l can enlighted you on intelligence. Silly emoji's don't make your response any more accurate. You've had it pointed out alternet isn't a reliable source of information. I stated Alternet uses a false trigger title that has little to do with the article. Everything l address has to do with rights.

Kyle Rittenhouse is no angel but he is being charged with 1st degree murder which doesn't match the video, his claims and the generally accepted accounts. The officers are fully within their RIGHTS to express their freedom of speech.

1. Wisconsin is an open carry state, so anyone 18 or older can visibly carry the rifle under state law. Unless someone had checked his age, no one would have known his age.

2. Nothing in Rittenhouse's actions indicated he was there to kill anyone but was there to guard a business but left becausevofvthe hostilities. There was also a group of armed citizens expressing and acting on their right to protect their town.

3. Videos of the killings leave it highly possible that he was acting in self defense in all cases. The jury will have to put them all together and make that determination.

4. Rittenhouse has been caste as a white supremacist which, even Politifact has termed a "going too far" in that assessment. Politifact'siii investigation found no evidence he was associated with any organization of that type.

5. Rittenhouse tried to give himself up but was waived to leave.

6. Your article makes it's slant known from the start by lumping Rittenhouse in with vigilante shooters and far-right activists.

7. All the Guardian is saying the crowdfunding site is sometimes used by right wing people. Is it not their right?
    I'm dismissing all of that because it's not relevant, it's about more than Rittenhouse. What is relevant is police officers (and other public officials) using their *official* email addresses and badge numbers to donate. Here, let me post The Guardian's own words (and I know your slant on things, so yeah, sure, Rittenhouse isn't a vigilante, or far-right activist, uh-huh)

"A data breach at a Christian crowdfunding website has revealed that serving police officers and public officials have donated money to fundraisers for accused vigilante murderers, far-right activists, and fellow officers accused of shooting black Americans.

In many of these cases, the donations were attached to their official email addresses, raising questions about the use of public resources in supporting such campaigns."

Racism and white supremacy is baked into America's history and its policing, there is absolutely no way to deny that, and anybody that's found donating to accused shooters like these people using their official *anything* should be investigated and disciplined.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Have you ever said or typed "Blue Lives Matter"?
    I'm not sure what that has to do with poor cybersecurity?

10. Default Re: Racism in America

I'm dismissing all of that because it's not relevant, it's about more than Rittenhouse. What is relevant is police officers (and other public officials) using their *official* email addresses and badge numbers to donate. Here, let me post The Guardian's own words (and I know your slant on things, so yeah, sure, Rittenhouse isn't a vigilante, or far-right activist, uh-huh)

"A data breach at a Christian crowdfunding website has revealed that serving police officers and public officials have donated money to fundraisers for accused vigilante murderers, far-right activists, and fellow officers accused of shooting black Americans.

In many of these cases, the donations were attached to their official email addresses, raising questions about the use of public resources in supporting such campaigns."

Racism and white supremacy is baked into America's history and its policing, there is absolutely no way to deny that, and anybody that's found donating to accused shooters like these people using their official *anything* should be investigated and disciplined.
    Lol. Dismiss all you want. I really couldn't care less. But where are you getting white supremacy in the Rittenhouse case? He didn't shoot black people.

If you're clutching your clams over what email was used then their bosses can tell them not to do it anymore and let them get back to putting their lives on the line for you . That's about the extent of the seriousness of this.

Have you ever used your company email to message your spouse, partner, child, buddy, councilman, mayor, governor, whatever? Big deal.

Police officers see a case where they think this kid is being hung for an excessive charge for political ends. I pointed out the rest because as much as you want it to be a case of a white supremacist just blowing away a few anarchist/fascists, it's not that open and shut.

Lol. Dismiss all you want. I really couldn't care less. But where are you getting white supremacy in the Rittenhouse case? He didn't shoot black people.

If you're clutching your clams over what email was used then their bosses can tell them not to do it anymore and let them get back to putting their lives on the line for you . That's about the extent of the seriousness of this.

Have you ever used your company email to message your spouse, partner, child, buddy, councilman, mayor, governor, whatever? Big deal.

Police officers see a case where they think this kid is being hung for an excessive charge for political ends. I pointed out the rest because as much as you want it to be a case of a white supremacist just blowing away a few anarchist/fascists, it's not that open and shut.

White man bad in Bidens America as obama and harris are pulling his strings. But just fine for Kammel Harris to take up donations to get rioters out on bail after burning cities down. There was very little racial talk before Biden and his gang got involved as they really ramped it up. Are we starting to figure out their long term agenda? All the while the Dems have for years treated black people like slaves. If you don't vote for the Big Guy you aint black! What a racist fool and I am shocked that many black folk go along with his narrative.

Blog Entries

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ng/4156448001/

13. Default Re: Racism in America

So? Anyone who doesn't like the guy could make the claim. Where's the video?

Don't get me wrong, l don't support the guy. He never should have been at the riot, especially with a gun. And his Mom must be a real piece of work - but he's still allowed to defend himself and per Politifact:

"But an organization that tracks extremist activity says they haven’t found any evidence linking Rittenhouse to white supremacy."

I'm not sure what that has to do with poor cybersecurity?
    Pretty sure your first post on this was disingenous, as is this one, that's what. Why would you post a comment about how bad data leaks are in reply to a post in a thread titled "Racism in America" if you're really only concerned about the leak and not the contents of the leak? Also pretty sure that there have been many many many more data leaks and hacks that have exposed way more damaging information and have screwed up millions of lives because of what got leaked, why haven't you commented on those? Is a data leak and poor cybersecurity really your only concern about what I posted?

I never associated white supremacy with Rittenhouse, read more carefully. And really - to be a white supremacist, you have to have shot black people? That's your criteria? He was, however, a "Blue Lives Matter" supporter, and there's white supremacy and racism underlying that. You're pretty much a cops-can-do-no-wrong person, so there's no point in continuing this because you will never see the problem with "Blue Lives Matter". And there is quite a difference in using your official email and position to donate to a killer's defense fund and emailing my wife to see when she's going to be home. BTW, no cop has ever put his life on the line for me, ever.

Blog Entries

So? Anyone who doesn't like the guy could make the claim. Where's the video?

Don't get me wrong, l don't support the guy. He never should have been at the riot, especially with a gun. And his Mom must be a real piece of work - but he's still allowed to defend himself and per Politifact:

"But an organization that tracks extremist activity says they haven’t found any evidence linking Rittenhouse to white supremacy."
    There are photos in the story I linked.

17. Default Re: Racism in America

Quote Originally Posted by Swake View Post
    There are photos in the story I linked.
    Hmmmm, no photos coming up for me except his mug shot.

Blog Entries

Hmmmm, no photos coming up for me except his mug shot.
    Get off dial up

Pretty sure your first post on this was disingenous, as is this one, that's what. Why would you post a comment about how bad data leaks are in reply to a post in a thread titled "Racism in America" if you're really only concerned about the leak and not the contents of the leak? Also pretty sure that there have been many many many more data leaks and hacks that have exposed way more damaging information and have screwed up millions of lives because of what got leaked, why haven't you commented on those? Is a data leak and poor cybersecurity really your only concern about what I posted?
    Because "data leaks" in the title is what caught my attention. Because cybersecurity is a hot topic in my field. Because I am concerned that governments, corporations, and organizations are unable to secure private information. The fact that individuals, organizations, corporations and governement sometimes use that information to injury and deprive private citizens of their rights concerns me.

I support all people's inherent right to freedom of thought and speech. I think the solution to"hate" speech is more free speech not less. I believe the free exchange of ideas is a positive force in the world.

I like to think I am capable of holding more than one thought in my head. Do I believe Black Lives Matter? Do i believe All Lives Matter? Do i believe Blue Lives Matter? The answer is a resounding Yes to all! All human life is sacred. i believe that most people are doing the best that they can and that kindness, decency, and common courtesy can go a long way to improving the human condition.

I sincerely hope you have a good day.

Because "data leaks" in the title is what caught my attention. Because cybersecurity is a hot topic in my field. Because I am concerned that governments, corporations, and organizations are unable to secure private information. The fact that individuals, organizations, corporations and governement sometimes use that information to injury and deprive private citizens of their rights concerns me.

I support all people's inherent right to freedom of thought and speech. I think the solution to"hate" speech is more free speech not less. I believe the free exchange of ideas is a positive force in the world.

I like to think I am capable of holding more than one thought in my head. Do I believe Black Lives Matter? Do i believe All Lives Matter? Do i believe Blue Lives Matter? The answer is a resounding Yes to all! All human life is sacred. i believe that most people are doing the best that they can and that kindness, decency, and common courtesy can go a long way to improving the human condition.

Good to know, thank you for the answer, still weird that you chose to post on this specific topic rather than any of the topics about Wikileaks or other leaks that have been mentioned on here.

21. Default Re: Racism in America

Love this.

Biden is so condescending to Black Americans that he honestly thinks there are no job opportunities, and that they should be taken care of. It doesn't take a brain surgeon or lawyer or a "professor" to put shingles on a roof. I've re-roofed my house twice. I would think with the recent hail storms there will be thousands of job opportunities, and I bet they will pay pretty good. It will be interesting to see who shows up for work.

Host Craig Melvin asked, “He said among other things, America isn’t racist. Is it?”

Biden responded, “No, I don’t think the American people are racist. But I think after 400 years, African Americans have been left in a position where they are so far behind the eight ball in terms of education and health, in terms of opportunity.”

Thatís not at all what Biden is saying. What he is saying is that our current system has numerous structural racial barriers that make it harder for blacks to succeed than whites, and heís absolutely right. Acknowledging reality isnít condescending, itís stating the truth. Wondering why blacks just donít go roof houses and not pursue higher education or higher earning jobs is condescending.

When they do show up to work they will be paid less than a similarly qualified white person (https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/25/o...-wage-gap.html), get worse rates on loans due to racial barriers to good credit (https://www.businessinsider.com/pers...-wealth-2021-1) and thus are less likely to afford a house and rebuild that credit (https://www.cnbc.com/2020/08/21/why-...years-ago.html). Thanks to the leftover impact of redlining policies are more likely to live in an area with poor schools for their kids (https://www.usatoday.com/story/opini...mn/6083342002/) and poor health infrastructure (https://healthblog.uofmhealth.org/li...-research-says). This perpetuates the cycle of lack of opportunity to the next generation, and the next, and the next, as it has for the last hundred plus years.

Slapping on some roofs isnít gonna fix this. These sorts of profound barriers require profound political change. It doesnít take a professor to see this, just a bit of critical thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by PoliSciGuy View Post
    That’s not at all what Biden is saying. What he is saying is that our current system has numerous structural racial barriers that make it harder for blacks to succeed than whites, and he’s absolutely right. Acknowledging reality isn’t condescending, it’s stating the truth. Wondering why blacks just don’t go roof houses and not pursue higher education or higher earning jobs is condescending.

When they do show up to work they will be paid less than a similarly qualified white person (https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/25/o...-wage-gap.html), get worse rates on loans due to racial barriers to good credit (https://www.businessinsider.com/pers...-wealth-2021-1) and thus are less likely to afford a house and rebuild that credit (https://www.cnbc.com/2020/08/21/why-...years-ago.html). Thanks to the leftover impact of redlining policies are more likely to live in an area with poor schools for their kids (https://www.usatoday.com/story/opini...mn/6083342002/) and poor health infrastructure (https://healthblog.uofmhealth.org/li...-research-says). This perpetuates the cycle of lack of opportunity to the next generation, and the next, and the next, as it has for the last hundred plus years.

Slapping on some roofs isn’t gonna fix this. These sorts of profound barriers require profound political change. It doesn’t take a professor to see this, just a bit of critical thinking.
    You know what I'm saying.....how many Black folks have you seen roofing houses? The opportunity is there. During the last big ice storm there was a group of younger Black folks trimming trees in my neighborhood.....I had a nice visit with them and they were from Dallas. They did a good job and didn't seem to have any problem with the old folks in my neighborhood. They also earned a nice living. We all know who is out there doing roofing work, but you can't say the "opportunity" isn't there can you? My point is that it doesn't take some kind of big assed degree to earn a good living. Biden seems to think Black folks can't or won't work so we need to "take care" of them, like some little people that can't take care of themselves or find work. Very condescending if you ask me.

Thread Information