Widgets Magazine
Page 17 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1213141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Racism in America

Default Re: Racism in America

Quote Originally Posted by Oklapatriot View Post
    Cool story. People used to take care of their elders, and respect their wisdom. I always enjoyed hearing stories from my Parents and the In laws. Now it seems that we are relegated to the trash heap while yelling "OK Boomer" at us. Sad state of affairs.
    You can’t have nonsense views and then demand respect for having nonsense opinions because of age. Self proclaiming common sense and then crying for respect is not how these things work. Respect is given to people who deserve it. Common sense does not need to be self proclaimed by someone who actually has it. Maybe it’s my small town western oklahoma upbringing but my grandparents taught me to avoid people who do such shameless self promotion. It’s easy to respect people who actually deserve it.

Quote Originally Posted by GoGators View Post
    You can’t have nonsense views and then demand respect for having nonsense opinions because of age. Self proclaiming common sense and then crying for respect is not how these things work. Respect is given to people who deserve it. Common sense does not need to be self proclaimed by someone who actually has it. Maybe it’s my small town western oklahoma upbringing but my grandparents taught me to avoid people who do such shameless self promotion. It’s easy to respect people who actually deserve it.
    Woooo, I bet your folks are proud of you.

Quote Originally Posted by Oklapatriot View Post
    Woooo, I bet your folks are proud of you.
    Yea, they didn’t get duped by Q-anon conspiracy theories so we are still close. Believing that stuff has torn a lot of families apart and isolated a lot of boomers from their children. Hope that hasn’t happened to you yet.

4. Default Re: Racism in America

Quote Originally Posted by GoGators View Post
    Your western Oklahoma upbringing was totally lost on you, then, because you've show virtually no politeness, consideration or respect on this forum for a very long time. You may think someone's opinions are nonsense and some are, but keep in mind people older than you have been there long before you. Respect for elders isn't about one person, it's about appreciation, consideration, courtesy and politeness for an entire generation who helped provide you with what you and others have.

The "get off my lawn" example that's also being posted above is a funny meme (that l even kid about myself), a comical stereotypical characterization being presented as some sort of truth by some. The way you've thrown the "OK Boomer" out a few times in posts is disrespectful and dismissive. Even if, somehow, you didn't mean it that way, impression is reality.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    Your western Oklahoma upbringing was totally lost on you, then, because you've show virtually no politeness, consideration or respect on this forum for a very long time. You may think someone's opinions are nonsense and some are, but keep in mind people older than you have been there long before you. Respect for elders isn't about one person, it's about appreciation, consideration, courtesy and politeness for an entire generation who helped provide you with what you and others have.

The "get off my lawn" example that's also being posted above is a funny meme (that l even kid about myself), a comical stereotypical characterization being presented as some sort of truth by some. The way you've thrown the "OK Boomer" out a few times in posts is disrespectful and dismissive. Even if, somehow, you didn't mean it that way, impression is reality.
    Good lord, no one, and I mean no one, tosses as many insults on here as you do and then you scream victim.

6. Default Re: Racism in America

I can't say that in 13 years l've never tossed one out there because you and your squad hit me with them on a large portion of my posts. But try finding an insult that wasn't in response to one directed at me. Prove to me l do what you accuse me of - show some statistics. Letxs see them, Swake or admit you are lying.

I've never even been warned Swake so if l'd done what you accuse me of l'd be banned or suspended. You just go on telling more lies and make more false accusations. The mods are fully aware of my posts multiple times over.

Blog Entries

I can't say that in 13 years l've never tossed one out there because you and your squad hit me with them on a large portion of my posts. But try finding an insult that wasn't in response to one directed at me. Prove to me l do what you accuse me of - show some statistics. Letxs see them, Swake or admit you are lying.

I've never even been warned Swake so if l'd done what you accuse me of l'd be banned or suspended. You just go on telling more lies and make more false accusations. The mods are fully aware of my posts multiple times over.
    My "squad"?

That's hilarious.

8. Default Re: Racism in America

Thanks, ironic how well it applies.

Now, about your lie about me casting unprompted insults then play the victim? Prove what you said. Show detailed statistics. It's your burden of proof.

Blog Entries

Thanks, ironic how well it applies.

Now, about your lie about me casting unprompted insults then play the victim? Prove what you said. Show detailed statistics. It's your burden of proof.
    [QUOTE=mugofbeer;1170149]Your western Oklahoma upbringing was totally lost on you, then, because you've show virtually no politeness, consideration or respect on this forum for a very long time.[quote]

i will back mug on this... him and i have gone back and forth many times, but it has never been a personal attack

11. Default Re: Racism in America

[QUOTE=Swake;1170160]
    Your western Oklahoma upbringing was totally lost on you, then, because you've show virtually no politeness, consideration or respect on this forum for a very long time.
    Care to explain how this is insulting? Being critical of how someone presents his/her lack of, or absence of, any facts, while thinking it's a rebuttal of some sort. This is an obsevation that would quickly prove to be true if his responses were laid out one after another.

I've said many times l take, at worst, the attitude of the person addressing me or another person on here. My response was completely in line with the post l referred to and was nothing more than critical. There were no insults, no name-calling and no belittling.

Try again Swake. Prove youself.

The rule is "Address the point, not the poster".
    As far as I can tell, there's no "eye for an eye" or "he did it first" loophole.

To the point, are we to believe that western OK is full of polite, respectful, and considerate people? Their crime stats would demonstrate otherwise. I suppose in some twisted fantasy, violent crime is "respectful, polite, and considerate. I'm sure the serial killer in Lawton says "excuse me" every time they kill a prostitute out of great consideration and respect.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond_Outsider View Post
    To the point, are we to believe that western OK is full of polite, respectful, and considerate people? Their crime stats would demonstrate otherwise. I suppose in some twisted fantasy, violent crime is "respectful, polite, and considerate. I'm sure the serial killer in Lawton says "excuse me" every time they kill a prostitute out of great consideration and respect.
    Wait, you're using crime stats which are reflective of a VERY small minority of the population to make sweeping generalizations about the larger population? Can't imagine where I've seen that thinking before, or how it could be wrong...

Care to explain how this is insulting? Being critical of how someone presents his/her lack of, or absence of, any facts, while thinking it's a rebuttal of some sort. This is an obsevation that would quickly prove to be true if his responses were laid out one after another.

I've said many times l take, at worst, the attitude of the person addressing me or another person on here. My response was completely in line with the post l referred to and was nothing more than critical. There were no insults, no name-calling and no belittling.

Try again Swake. Prove youself.
    yea, i don't really know what you are talking about but i was pointing out that self proclaiming common sense and demanding someone respect you is an embarrassing thing to do.

15. Default Re: Racism in America

Who was "demanding" any respect from you? You made that up.

There's a huge difference between demanding respect as an individual and automatically granting deference, politeness, cordiality and, yes, respect to an entire generation that has seen a whole lot more of life than you.

That's just a given and it's done worldwide.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    Wait, you're using crime stats which are reflective of a VERY small minority of the population to make sweeping generalizations about the larger population? Can't imagine where I've seen that thinking before, or how it could be wrong...
    Yes, it was a sweeping generalization made about an equally sweeping generalization.

I work in and travel to enough of this country to know the “Oklahoma Standard” many believe makes us superior to the rest of the world is nonsense. Everywhere I go, I find that some folks are nice and some aren’t.

In these troubling times it’s nice to see somethings never change. Keep the faith muggsy!
    Don't blame me. I voted for Kanye!

18. Default Re: Racism in America

Well, welcome back, l think. So happy to see you! Hope all is well with you.

19. Default Re: Racism in America

Well, welcome back, l think. So happy to see you! Hope all is well with you and yes, your post IS about the same as always.

Hey dan, how does this strike you, will you have to change your curriculum?

BTW, in case there's any doubt, this is ridiculously disgusting, hope it gets struck down, but who knows, it's f-ing TX...

Texas Governor Signs Law To Stop Teachers From Talking About Racism

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Hey dan, how does this strike you, will you have to change your curriculum?

BTW, in case there's any doubt, this is ridiculously disgusting, hope it gets struck down, but who knows, it's f-ing TX...

Texas Governor Signs Law To Stop Teachers From Talking About Racism
    Cancel culture?

Republican cancel culture is really getting out of hand.

23. Default Re: Racism in America

Rover and david, how does this bill cancel anything? Name one thing about slavery or racism that can't be discussed or taught?

In fact, the law mandates virtually all vital matters of race and history be discussed.

The only thing this law does is to guide teachers that what they teach cannot be done in a reverse racist, divisive way that could make white children feel uncomfortable, personally responsible or ashamedvof themselves. The law does state teachers can opt out of discussing a current event if they deem it to be too volatile a subject and can't be compelled to teach the same or force students into political activism.

Could you expound on what's cancelled or even particularly wrong with any of this?

Define “Reverse racism” as it is taught in public schools.
    I’d like an actual textbook example, not merely what tucker Carlson and others spreading white panic in the right wing media say it is to trigger this season’s moral panic.
    It’s should be easy to provide an example since this is such a pervasive problem.

Rover and david, how does this bill cancel anything? Name one thing about slavery or racism that can't be discussed or taught?

In fact, the law mandates virtually all vital matters of race and history be discussed.

The only thing this law does is to guide teachers that what they teach cannot be done in a reverse racist, divisive way that could make white children feel uncomfortable, personally responsible or ashamedvof themselves. The law does state teachers can opt out of discussing a current event if they deem it to be too volatile a subject and can't be compelled to teach the same or force students into political activism.

Could you expound on what's cancelled or even particularly wrong with any of this?
    Because it provides a lawsuit vehicle for anyone who wants to pretend a teacher is teaching CRT regardless of what is true, which in turn is going to going to have a chilling effect on teachers who don't want to experience the consequences of that even if they'd win the lawsuit in the end.

Thread Information