Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Home 5G Internet

Default Home 5G Internet

Anyone have a feel for when we might see the first 5G Home internet services in OKC?

For those who don't know, 5G should be fast enough to run your entire home network. It would require an antenna on your house that would grab the signal from cell towers, then run a traditional cable down to your router.

It has limited implementation but in the current markets, it's pretty reasonable from traditional carriers like Verizon, AT&T and T-Mobile.

I desperately want to cut Cox Cable but I still need internet. 5G seems to be the best hope.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Home 5G Internet

All 5g is not the same. Be aware.

I recently listened to a podcast about 5G (and its supposed health effects) and from what I understand, it will be on the high frequency band of the wireless spectrum, and since high frequency waves have a harder time traveling over distance and objects, cell antennas need to be really close to each other, I think the guy on the podcast said they are almost a block or two apart in NYC. So, from that information and the large footprint of OKC, I imagine OKC may be one of the last major cities to get true 5G like on Verizon. (note- I'm no expert on this subject at all!)

Also, as Swake mentioned, 5G is truly not the same across all the major companies, I watched some speed test on Youtube, guy on Verizon was getting 2 gigabits down, which is twice as fast as Cox's fastest offering and I also watched a guy on Tmobile's "5G" network only getting 60 megabits down, which is basically 4G LTE speed.

From whah I’ve read there are no health problems that will come with 5g but it hogs too much of the frequency spectrum and one that is used by meteorologists.

I have the 5Ge crap on AT&T here in LA and it’s a load of rubbish. Not sure how companies are allowed to virtually lie to their customers like that.

BTW, there have been a ton of new AT&T cell tower permits all over OKC in the last few months.

I suspect they are in the process of implementing 5G here.

6. Default Re: Home 5G Internet

Quote Originally Posted by pure View Post
    I recently listened to a podcast about 5G (and its supposed health effects) and from what I understand, it will be on the high frequency band of the wireless spectrum, and since high frequency waves have a harder time traveling over distance and objects, cell antennas need to be really close to each other, I think the guy on the podcast said they are almost a block or two apart in NYC. So, from that information and the large footprint of OKC, I imagine OKC may be one of the last major cities to get true 5G like on Verizon. (note- I'm no expert on this subject at all!)

Also, as Swake mentioned, 5G is truly not the same across all the major companies, I watched some speed test on Youtube, guy on Verizon was getting 2 gigabits down, which is twice as fast as Cox's fastest offering and I also watched a guy on Tmobile's "5G" network only getting 60 megabits down, which is basically 4G LTE speed.
    With the higher frequency, you do get more attenuation from obstacles, much like a 5GHz wifi signal won't have as much range through typical home walls, etc. than the 2.4GHz signal. But keep in mind that we have a lot of wide open spaces in OK that are ideal for transmitting data in that frequency range, unlike the steel and concrete canyons in NYC.

7. Default Re: Home 5G Internet

Deleted weird duplicate post.
    Last edited by MadMonk; 03-05-2020 at 05:30 AM. Reason: duplicate post

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    BTW, there have been a ton of new AT&T cell tower permits all over OKC in the last few months.

I suspect they are in the process of implementing 5G here.
    I've noticed MANY new poles on Penn just north of Memorial. They are on the east side of the road, about every block and have a cylindrical device on top. I think these are 5G towers.

9. Default Re: Home 5G Internet

Would be curious about the future availability of this too. I upgraded to COX's Panoramic Gigablast service ($100/mo) with their pod mesh network and it improved my network connectivity tremendously. I have 93 devices that connect randomly (many are bandwidth hogs) and used to sporadically loose connection or have lags - Not anymore. Definitely worth the upgrade. But I'd love to get away from COX completely.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by BBatesokc View Post
    Would be curious about the future availability of this too. I upgraded to COX's Panoramic Gigablast service ($100/mo) with their pod mesh network and it improved my network connectivity tremendously. I have 93 devices that connect randomly (many are bandwidth hogs) and used to sporadically loose connection or have lags - Not anymore. Definitely worth the upgrade. But I'd love to get away from COX completely.
    If COX's Panoramic Gigablast service has improved your connectivity tremendously, why are you still anxious to get away from them completely?

11. Default Re: Home 5G Internet

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    If COX's Panoramic Gigablast service has improved your connectivity tremendously, why are you still anxious to get away from them completely?
    Can't stand doing business with them. Basically the same reason you always see tons of people complain about them. I'd much prefer to give my money to someone else. Hating doing business with them was the main reason we cut the cable TV cord years ago. They are holding us hostage with Internet service though.

Is it $100/month all-in or are there additional taxes and add-ons?

I really want to drop everything but internet (and I'll drop that too as soon as there is a viable alternative).

93?!?!?!? We must be living in the 1800s, we only have a desktop, laptop, work laptop, and blu-ray player connecting, wow....

14. Default Re: Home 5G Internet

Is it $100/month all-in or are there additional taxes and add-ons?

I really want to drop everything but internet (and I'll drop that too as soon as there is a viable alternative).
    Typical song and dance with COX. I was paying $89 for the 300 speed. I went in to a COX retail store when my 'promotion' was ending and the guy offered me GigaBlast with their all-in-one modem/router for right at $102 all-in for the next 12 months. Then I'm sure I'll have to negotiate all over again after that.

I've found that the COX stores give me a better deal than calling in. I go to the one in Edmond off Broadway and 33rd.

We recently added the Ring alarm system and lots of Ring cameras and the 300 service couldn't handle it. Their mesh pods really got my signal out further too. I like the product - hate the company.

15. Default Re: Home 5G Internet

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    93?!?!?!? We must be living in the 1800s, we only have a desktop, laptop, work laptop, and blu-ray player connecting, wow....
    I know, right?!!? It starts adding up fast (Alarm system, cameras, Sonos, Echos, Tivos, game systems, laptops, desktops, tablets, etc.).

^

Very helpful, thanks.

I have their regular Internet service with my own router plus several far-flung Arlo security cameras and the connection has been solid, even for a cam I have mounted at a good distance in my backyard.

17. Default Re: Home 5G Internet

^

Very helpful, thanks.

I have their regular Inernet service with my own router plus several far-flung Arlo security cameras and the connection has been solid, even for a cam I have mounted at a good distance in my backyard.
    When we started having connectivity issues COX did the typical, "Well it could be your 3rd party router or 3rd party modem. It's $60 for us to come out." So, I dumped the 3rd party stuff and paid the $10/mo to get their stuff. Now when I have an issue it's 100% on them to fix it. Another great tip the guy at the retail store clued me in on. I live in an older home and the coax is not the same as is used now and the instal has way too many spilts. I wanted to utilize a MoCA network but couldn't under the current configuration (at least not reliably). He had me sign up for the $10/mo service plan and it covered them coming out and totally rewiring our house. You just have to keep the plan for 3 months. So, for $30 I got the house rewired and that would have costs hundreds of dollars had I not had the plan or called a 3rd party installer.

I imagine 300 would be fine for 93 devices. The congestion between so many devices and overloading on what may (not) be a single access point is where I would suspect issue would be.

Waiting for T-Mobile Home Internet.
    It is live in quite a few cities, by invitation. With the Sprint merger cleared, we should see this up and running across the country soon.
    50Mbps $50
    https://www.t-mobile.com/isp

No AT&T Fiber in your area Pete? I was paranoid to make the switch, but can't complain. I wish the router had a bit more flexibility, but overall, can easily handle anything I throw at it.

Quote Originally Posted by pw405 View Post
    No AT&T Fiber in your area Pete? I was paranoid to make the switch, but can't complain. I wish the router had a bit more flexibility, but overall, can easily handle anything I throw at it.
    Not on my street otherwise I'd use them.

ATT's 4g services have been vastly improved on the far NW Side in the area near Memorial and Council. Instead of 1-2 bars it is near full bars now. I hope 5g home internet is available soon but I am not holding my breath.

T-mobile is offering home 5G now for $60/month with no contract, no data caps, no equip fees and includes all taxes/fees. At my house, 5G (on my phone) is faster than my current Cox internet level.

Has anyone tried the 5g Home from Tmo?

Quote Originally Posted by djohn View Post
    T-mobile is offering home 5G now for $60/month with no contract, no data caps, no equip fees and includes all taxes/fees. At my house, 5G (on my phone) is faster than my current Cox internet level.
    As I was looking to get completely away from Cox, I took a flier on T-Mobile when it was at $50/month, including tax and everything else.

For a month, I operated it in parallel to my Cox service and over that time determined it was more than adequate. I first made a call to Cox to see if they could come close in pricing (and drastically reduce my ever-increasing bill) and they could not so I canceled with them completely. I waited a couple of weeks for the pre-paid shipping box so I could return their equipment -- it never came. Another call to Cox, and this time they said they could match the T-Mobile price. Reluctantly (and because I already had the necessary wiring and a recently purchased router) I decided to stay with them. When the new equipment failed to come after a week, I promptly canceled -- this time for good -- and drove my Cox stuff down to their location in Uptown.

And I'm glad I did because I've been very happy with T-Mobile and even happier to never give Cox another dime of my money.

One somewhat substantial limitation is that T-Mobile only offers one speed and if you decide you need more bandwidth, you're out of luck. But I work from home and it's been more than adequate. When I first converted, my streaming services could be a little slow to cache but either I've become used to it or it is no longer happening. Either way, I'm a satisfied customer and suspect I won't have the weather outages I had this past winter with Cox.

And worse case, I can just return to Cox and will now have the added bargaining power of a 'new' customer.

Yet another bonus: I am locked in forever at $50/month total cost.

^^ I wish I could sign up. It's frustrating, because a friend of mine who lives about 1/2 a mile away is able to get it, but there's no availability for me yet. My Cox bill just jumped up $30 a month, and AT&T doesn't offer fiber in my neighborhood so I'm a captive subscriber. First change I get I'll be gone.

Thread Information