Widgets Magazine

Thread: Left Turn on Red?

Default Left Turn on Red?

I drive to the museum/zoo area on NE 50th every week. I take the 50th street exit from I-35 north, then turn left at the light on 50th. Is it legal to turn left when the light is red? (Paying attention to oncoming traffic, of course.) There's no sign to indicate yes or no.

Default Re: Left Turn on Red?

I have never heard of a left turn on red being legal. A left turn on the blinking yellow arrow is legal if you check for traffic and are clear, I believe.

I think its only legal when turning from a one-way street to another one-way street.

4. Default Re: Left Turn on Red?

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    I think its only legal when turning from a one-way street to another one-way street.
    Yep

IMO one of the more hazardous practices to pedestrians in a downtown or urban environment is allowing any turns on red lights.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    IMO one of the more hazardous practices to pedestrians in a downtown or urban environment is allowing any turns on red lights.
    I've almost been run over multiple times owing to right turns on red. I do think it should be outlawed, at least downtown.

From what I know if you're already in the middle of the intersection before it turns yellow and it hits red, it is not illegal cause you were already waiting.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I've almost been run over multiple times owing to right turns on red. I do think it should be outlawed, at least downtown.
    Unless my mental picture is wrong, shouldn’t that crosswalk have a “do not cross” light at the same time a car making a turn should have a red light? The “walk” light is usually on when the road parallel to the crosswalk has a green light.

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    My wife is from Buenos Aires where as a megalopolis urban environment, this practice is obviously completely illegal. When she came up here the 1st time and I turned right on red she about had a heart attack.

10. Default Re: Left Turn on Red?

Quote Originally Posted by OKCisOK4me View Post
    From what I know if you're already in the middle of the intersection before it turns yellow and it hits red, it is not illegal cause you were already waiting.
    That's illegal too. You're not supposed to cross the white line until it's clear so you aren't in the intersection unless it's clear....on purpose so you can't be in the intersection after the light turns red. Any red light camera would eat your lunch But it is illegal, even though most of us do it.

Let's say that there are two right turn lanes. Can you turn right on red in both lanes or only the furthest lane to the right?

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    That's illegal too. You're not supposed to cross the white line until it's clear so you aren't in the intersection unless it's clear....on purpose so you can't be in the intersection after the light turns red. Any red light camera would eat your lunch But it is illegal, even though most of us do it.
    Can you point me to the Oklahoma statute that says that? Here is the statute on traffic signals and I don't see that but doesn't mean it isn't somewhere else. https://www.oscn.net/applications/os...p?CiteID=82270

13. Default Re: Left Turn on Red?

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    I'm not seeing this in the traffic codes.

• ARTICLE VII. - TURNING MOVEMENTS[9]

SHARE LINK TO SECTIONPRINT SECTIONDOWNLOAD (DOCX) OF SECTIONSEMAIL SECTIONCOMPARE VERSIONS

Footnotes:
      --- (9) ---State Law reference— Turning movements generally, 47 O.S. § 11-601 et seq.; municipal authority to regulate turns, 47 O.S. § 15-102(A)9.

• § 32-236. - Position and method of turning.

SHARE LINK TO SECTIONPRINT SECTIONDOWNLOAD (DOCX) OF SECTIONSEMAIL SECTIONCOMPARE VERSIONS

The driver of a vehicle intending to turn at an intersection shall do so as follows:
      (1)
      Right turns . Both the approach for a right turn and the execution of a right turn shall be made as close as practicable to the righthand curb or edge of the roadway. The streetcar approach for a right turn and the execution of a right turn may enter the left-hand curb or edge of the roadway.
      (2)
      Left turns from two-way street . The approach for a left turn shall be made in that portion of the right half of the street nearest the center thereof, and after entering the intersection the left turn shall be made so as to leave the intersection to the right of the center of the roadway being entered. The streetcar approach for a left turn shall be made in that portion of the right half of the street nearest the curb line, or nearest the centerline, and after entering the intersection the left shall be made as to leave the intersection to the right of the center of the roadway being entered.
      (3)
      Left turns, two-way and one-way streets . The approach for a left turn from a two-way street into a one-way street shall be made in that portion of the right half of the street nearest to the center thereof and by passing to the right of such center where it enters the intersection. A left turn from a one-way street into a two-way street shall be made by passing to the right of the center of the street being entered upon leaving the intersection. The streetcar approach for a left turn from a two-way street into a one-way street shall be made in that portion of the right half of the street nearest the curb line, and after entering the intersection the left shall be made as to leave the intersection to the right of the center of the roadway being entered.
      (4)
      Left turns where both roadways are one-way . If both streets or roadways are one-way, both the approach for a left turn and the execution of a left turn shall be made as close as practicable to the lefthand curb or edge of the roadway.
      (Code 1970, § 34-42; Code 1980, § 32-236; Ord. No. 26009, § 4, 9-25-18 )
      State Law reference— Required position and method of turning, 47 O.S. § 11-601.

• § 32-237. - Designation of restricted turns.

• Amended by
        Ordinance No. 26,370

(a)
      The Commission is hereby authorized to determine those street intersections at which drivers of vehicles shall not make right turns, left turns, or U-turns.
      (b)
      The determinations of the Commission shall specify each intersection or location affected, the particular restriction or relaxation of prohibition applicable thereto, and the hours of applicability.
      (c)
      The determinations of the Commission shall be made on the basis of a competent traffic engineering survey and investigation which shall consider the public health, safety and welfare.
      (d)
      Each intersection or location regulated under this section shall be plainly marked with signs indicating such regulations and the hours applicable, if any.
      (Code 1970, § 34-39; Ord. No. 17545, § 1, 2-14-84; Code 1980, § 32-237)

• § 32-238. - Turning markers or indicators.

(a)
      The Director is authorized to order the placement of markers, buttons or signs within or adjacent to intersections indicating the course to be traveled by vehicles turning at such intersections. The course to be traveled, as so indicated, may conform to or be other than as prescribed by law. In making such a determination the Director shall consider the public health, safety and welfare.
      (b)
      When authorized markers, buttons, or other indications are placed within an intersection indicating the course to be traveled by vehicles turning thereat, no driver of a vehicle shall disobey the directions of such indications.
      (Code 1970, § 34-38(b); Code 1980, § 32-238)
      State Law reference— Obedience to turn markers, 47 O.S. § 11-601(3).

• § 32-239. - Schedule of restricted turns.

The Director shall prepare and maintain a schedule of those locations where turns are restricted. The schedule shall reflect the turn location at which turning movements are restricted, the restrictions placed on such turning movements and the times, if any, when such restrictions are effective. The schedule shall be designated as "SCHEDULE XIII. Restricted Turns." The original of Schedule XIII shall be kept on file in the office of the City Clerk as a public record.
      (Code 1970, § 34-40; Code 1980, § 32-239)

• § 32-240. - Turning movements and required signals.

(a)
      No person shall turn a vehicle at an intersection unless the vehicle is in proper position upon the roadway as required in Section 32-236, or turn a vehicle to enter a private road or driveway, or otherwise turn a vehicle from a direct course or move right or left upon a roadway unless and until such movement can be made with reasonable safety. No person shall so turn any vehicle without giving an appropriate signal in the manner hereinafter provided.
      (b)
      A signal of intention to turn right or left, slow or stop when required, shall be given continuously during not less than the last 100 feet traveled by the vehicle before turning or stopping.
      (Code 1970, § 34-43; Code 1980, § 32-240)
      State Law reference— Turning movements and required signals, 47 O.S. § 11-604.

• § 32-241. - Means of giving turn signals.

(a)
      Any stop or turn signal when required herein shall be given either by means of the hand and arm, or by a signal lamp or lamps, or mechanical device of a type approved by the Department of Public Safety, except as provided in Subsection (b).
      (b)
      When the body of a vehicle or the load of any vehicle projects 24 inches or more to the left of the center of the steering wheel, or under any condition where a hand and arm signal would not be visible both to the front and rear of the vehicle, the vehicle shall be equipped with, and the required signal given by, signal lamps or devices.
      (Code 1970, § 34-44; Code 1980, § 32-241)
      State Law reference— Similar provisions, 47 O.S. § 11-605.

• § 32-242. - Method of giving hand-and-arm signals.

All signals herein required given by hand and arm shall be given from the left side of the vehicle in the following manner and such signals shall be indicated as follows:
      (1)
      left turn: hand and arm extended horizontally.
      (2)
      right turn: hand and arm extended upward.
      (3)
      stop or decrease speed: hand and arm extended downward with palm to the rear.
      (Code 1970, § 34-45; Code 1980, § 32-242)
      State Law reference— Method of giving hand-and-arm signals, 47 O.S. 11-606.

• § 32-243. - Turns into or from alleys.

(a)
      No vehicle shall turn left when proceeding into or proceeding out of an alley except when necessary to enter a one-way street, and no vehicle shall cross any street or highway when proceeding into or proceeding out of any alley except as provided in Subsection (b).
      (b)
      Left turns may be made when proceeding out of an alley if a traffic survey conducted by the Director shows that such turn may be made with safety and official signs are erected authorizing such turns.
      (c)
      The foregoing provisions shall not apply to bus terminals used by licensed and authorized bus lines.
      (Code 1970, § 34-46; Code 1980, § 32-243)

• § 32-244. - U-turns.

(a)
      Locations where prohibited. No person shall make a U-turn at the following locations:
      (1)
      any place other than an intersection or a median opening;
      (2)
      intersections controlled by traffic control devices where an official "No U-turn" sign has been erected and is maintained for the direction signed;
      (3)
      intersections where no left turns are specifically prohibited for the direction signed.
      (b)
      Manner of making U-turns. No person shall make a U-turn except in the following manner:
      (1)
      Position for U-turn.
      a.
      Two-lane roadways. by approaching the intersection as closely as practical to the right curb or edge of the roadway, the driver giving and continuing to give a signal for a left turn until the turn is complete, proceeding to make the turn across the intersection;
      b.
      Multi-lane roadways. Both the approach for a U-turn and the execution of a U-turn shall be made as close as practicable to the left curb of a center median or as close as practicable to the yellow division line between opposing traffic.
      (2)
      Method for U-turn.
      a.
      in one continuous movement without stopping or backing the vehicle;
      b.
      by yielding the right-of-way at all times to all vehicles before such turn may be commenced and continuing until such turn is completed;
      c.
      without constituting a hazard to or interfering with any other vehicle or pedestrian.

Quote Originally Posted by floyd the barber View Post
    Let's say that there are two right turn lanes. Can you turn right on red in both lanes or only the furthest lane to the right?
    Great question but I can’t think of any roads like that in Oklahoma?

Leaving the FAA there are 2 right turn lanes. Everybody turns right from the second lane on red, although that's not to say it's legal. There's hardly any traffic out there besides those that work on the center.

16. Default Re: Left Turn on Red?

Quote Originally Posted by OKC Guy View Post
    The Western off ramp at I-240 is an example.

Memorial east bound onto Hefner Parkway is like this. well, a right turn lane and a lane that is right turn or straight.

north bound on Kelley to east bound Memorial rd

I don't think there's anything wrong with allowing right turns on red, but cars just need to pay better attention. I've walked on a crosswalk on more than one occasion and nearly been run over by cars who barely even slow down before turning right. Or by cars turning left on a solid green light and aren't looking.

I've been to other more urbanized cities before where they have a lot more pedestrian traffic than OKC and I've noticed that cars do a better job of stopping for pedestrians than OKC drivers because they're just more used to it.

20. Default Re: Left Turn on Red?

I-40 West off-ramp to North Council is 2 right turn lanes. I don't know exactly, but cars do it every day and they do it with police cars around. I've even see police cars do it too. That's not to say it's the official law just because a police car does it though. So if you had an accident, i guess we'd find out, but i believe that since it's right on red, its ok.

Broadway in Edmond on 2nd st.

Eastbound NW Hiway onto the southbound Lake Hefner Parkway on-ramp is like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger S View Post
    The Western off ramp at I-240 is an example.
    Yes, usually if there are dual right turn lanes, the right turn on red applies to both lanes as well unless otherwise posted.

Thread Information