Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 179 12345651101 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 4451

Thread: Covid-19 (Including Political Discussion)

  1. #1

    Default Covid-19 (Including Political Discussion)

    Making a thread for this, just because I'm somewhat surprised no one else has yet, and it seems like it could well end up being a fairly big deal. Decided to toss it in the politics forum because there certainly might be broader economic and political implications, especially given that it is an election year.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Covid-19

    Quote Originally Posted by SEMIweather View Post
    Making a thread for this, just because I'm somewhat surprised no one else has yet, and it seems like it could well end up being a fairly big deal. Decided to toss it in the politics forum because there certainly might be broader economic and political implications, especially given that it is an election year.


    I was supposed to go on a 10 day trip of China leaving Feb 20th. It got cancelled by the tour company. Lucky I didn't book it for January. I almost did and said I don't want to be there during Chinese New year.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Covid-19

    This virus worries me a bit. It’s obviously incredibly contagious, and there’s not a lot known about it yet.

    Although, depending on the sources you believe, some of what is coming out is concerning.

    1) Contagious while non-symptomatic possibly for up to 21 days

    2) It is potentially bi-phasic - meaning it goes dormant but remains active within the body after you have fought it off. Once it finds its way back to the lungs, you will be reinfected. This was just documented in Japan.

    3) It shares similarities with HIV in that it bonds with human cells very easily.

    4) large uncertainty around true mortality rate

    5) nearly impossible to track

    6) fear induced panic

    We’re fairly isolated here in Oklahoma for the mean time, but that could change quickly. Have a plan. Stock up on food slowly (waiting till the first case here is too late). Prepare to hold up in your house for a bit if necessary, and let’s hope that spring humidity and heat kill this thing off. Otherwise, if summer doesn’t do this bug in, we’re going to be in some trouble, and it’ll probably be necessary to make more long-term plans, i.e. leave the cities.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Covid-19

    May be the straw that breaks the camel's back when it comes to the global economy.

    I don't really trust that China all of the sudden has this under control,it seems inconsistent with what is happening everywhere else.

    Its definitely nastier than regular flu. We will be getting better data now that its in countries that are more transparent .

  5. #5

    Default Re: Covid-19

    Is anyone reading that a disease center in Wuhan is blocks away from the fish market this virus allegedly originated in? I haven’t fact checked any of that but I’ve heard that from two people now.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Covid-19

    Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Is anyone reading that a disease center in Wuhan is blocks away from the fish market this virus allegedly originated in? I haven’t fact checked any of that but I’ve heard that from two people now.
    Its true. We will never know for sure if there was some kind of accidental release. The Chinese government would have a revolution on their hands if this was discovered by its people. I'm not getting on the tin foil ban wagon and say its weaponized, but its certainly possible they screwed up while studying this virus in the lab.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Covid-19

    Wuhan virus ain’t Nothing to fu*k with

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    5,538
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Covid-19

    Quote Originally Posted by C_M_25 View Post
    This virus worries me a bit. It’s obviously incredibly contagious, and there’s not a lot known about it yet.

    Although, depending on the sources you believe, some of what is coming out is concerning.

    1) Contagious while non-symptomatic possibly for up to 21 days

    2) It is potentially bi-phasic - meaning it goes dormant but remains active within the body after you have fought it off. Once it finds its way back to the lungs, you will be reinfected. This was just documented in Japan.

    3) It shares similarities with HIV in that it bonds with human cells very easily.

    4) large uncertainty around true mortality rate

    5) nearly impossible to track

    6) fear induced panic
    7) Possibly spreads by flatulence/gaseous form (in addition to respiratory) - https://pubsonline.informs.org/do/10...20.02.01/full/

  9. #9

    Default Re: Covid-19

    The New Green Deal is now working. We will be in a recession then depression within the end of the year. So say goodbye to the good life.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Covid-19

    I think our saving grace will be if this thing gets killed off by the heat of summer. If that happens, the market will bounce back. If you have cash in hand, this virus provides a great opportunity to enter the market. Otherwise, we’re kinda screwed.

    Trend analysis on this bug is pretty interesting. So far, you see very little transmission/growth of cases in the Southern Hemisphere. The cases that do exist are migrants who were exposed in China et al. If we don’t see community growth down there, that could give us hope that summer will benefit us.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Covid-19

    I have a gut feeling that China screwed the world over. This thing almost seems too perfect. *Puts on tinfoil hat* If you believe any of the stories coming from china then it seems as though it is likely they have manipulated this virus in a lab. If official word comes out that this is true after devastating the world, there will be hell to pay. The people of China are likely to riot.

  12. #12

    Default Re: Covid-19

    The New York Post is reporting lots of problems with that Wuhan lab such as scientists selling the animals for meat after they've used them in experiments.

  13. #13

    Default Re: Covid-19

    Quote Originally Posted by brian72 View Post
    The New Green Deal is now working. We will be in a recession then depression within the end of the year. So say goodbye to the good life.
    Huh? Care to explain or give any context whatsoever? Or is this just noise?

  14. #14

    Default Re: Covid-19

    If you own any meaningful amount of acreage (100 acres or more) in Colorado or Texas, now would be a good time to make sure the cattle are fed and the hay is in the barn, so to speak.

  15. #15

    Default Re: Covid-19

    Don't worry, Mike Pence is in charge

  16. #16

    Default Re: Covid-19

    Quote Originally Posted by C_M_25 View Post
    I think our saving grace will be if this thing gets killed off by the heat of summer.
    The Spanish flu of 1918 died down in the summer then returned the next winter.

  17. #17

    Default Re: Covid-19


  18. #18

    Default Re: Covid-19

    this is far less deadly than the normal flu

  19. #19

    Default Re: Covid-19

    Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    this is far less deadly than the normal flu
    Are you talking total numbers of fatalities or % of those infected? Everything I have seen is that the corona virusis far more deadly based on fatality rates of those who have contracted the virus.

  20. #20

    Default Re: Covid-19

    Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    this is far less deadly than the normal flu
    yes and no.

    COVID-19 cases Approx. 81,322 Deaths Approx. 2770 (as of Feb 26th) Death Rate 3.4%
    2019 Flu Cases Approx. 1 billion Deaths somewhere between 291,000 to 646,000 Death Rate (using higher death total) 0.006%
    if you just want to look at the flu numbers in the US, because you don't believe all the other flu numbers
    Cases in US 9.3 Million to 45 Million Deaths 12,000 to 61,000 Death Rate (using lower cases and higher death rate to create larges percentage 0.0066%

    so yes the flu has killed more people. but COVID-19 is much more deadly when infection occurs.

    source for the numbers
    https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/heal...019-vs-the-flu
    Last edited by jedicurt; 02-27-2020 at 10:27 AM. Reason: added source

  21. #21

    Default Re: Covid-19

    Quote Originally Posted by brian72 View Post
    The New Green Deal is now working. We will be in a recession then depression within the end of the year. So say goodbye to the good life.
    Is this supposed to make sense?

  22. #22

    Default Re: Covid-19

    I dont think there is a large enough sample set from reliable governments to make a determination one way for another. Remember this started in December, were very early into this.

    I think at best its equally, worse as the flu and there is no shot for this yet. So we could very well likely have this along with seasonal flu going around next fall and winter which is going to overload our hospitals. If I was 65 plus years old I would be concerned.

  23. #23

    Default Re: Covid-19

    Quote Originally Posted by brian72 View Post
    The New Green Deal is now working. We will be in a recession then depression within the end of the year. So say goodbye to the good life.
    Is this supposed to make sense? You can tell once you accidentally venture into the political forum because the nonsense posts increase tenfold.

  24. #24

    Default Re: Covid-19

    Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    I dont think there is a large enough sample set from reliable governments to make a determination one way for another. Remember this started in December, were very early into this.

    I think at best its equally, worse as the flu and there is no shot for this yet. So we could very well likely have this along with seasonal flu going around next fall and winter which is going to overload our hospitals. If I was 65 plus years old I would be concerned.
    Exactly, which is why those with large family estates should retreat to them before it is too late. The virus won't be able to reach inside the walls of a lavish compound.

  25. #25

    Default Re: Covid-19

    Quote Originally Posted by C_M_25 View Post
    I have a gut feeling that China screwed the world over. This thing almost seems too perfect. *Puts on tinfoil hat* If you believe any of the stories coming from china then it seems as though it is likely they have manipulated this virus in a lab. If official word comes out that this is true after devastating the world, there will be hell to pay. The people of China are likely to riot.
    I don't buy (or haven't seen any evidence that would convince me) that China manipulated or created this virus in a lab. I do however believe they may have screwed the world over anyways, through their secrecy. I wonder if any of our timelines are correct. SARS took months from the initial cases before the outbreak exploded and spread. I would not be surprised if China has been dealing with this outbreak for longer than we know, and was keeping it secret.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Covid-19 in OKC (coronavirus)
    By SSEiYah in forum Current Events & Open Topic
    Replies: 9993
    Last Post: 04-19-2021, 02:33 PM
  2. Covid-19 Economic Impact
    By bucktalk in forum Current Events & Open Topic
    Replies: 830
    Last Post: 01-05-2021, 08:05 PM
  3. After COVID-19...Then What?
    By bucktalk in forum Current Events & Open Topic
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 04-14-2020, 01:07 PM
  4. Covid 19 additional restrictions
    By Jersey Boss in forum Norman
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-23-2020, 04:19 PM
  5. political discussion of oklahoma earthquakes
    By ylouder in forum Politics
    Replies: 432
    Last Post: 02-13-2018, 11:20 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO