Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hot Water Tank Installation Price

Default Re: Hot Water Tank Installation Price

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    Don't overlook the opportunity to make this a DIY project. I did this very install myself 2-3 years ago, upgraded from a 40-gallon to 50-gallon tank, and my only cost was that for the new tank itself. Saved me a sizeable chunk of change!
    So, uh, how much are these savings? If a water tank is $400, update parts and materials are $50 and I have a place that will dispose of the old tank quickly and cheaply, then DIY is a possibility. If a tank is $800, parts & materials are $ 150 and I have to wait until big trash day in 60 days to get rid of the old unit, then paying $1400 for a professional and legal installation that is zero drag is not a bad deal, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    Does draining hot water heaters every year make them last longer? I never drained mine and it lasted 10 years.
    It definitely can! Regular maintenance - including flushing the tank and inspecting/replacing the anode rod - can significantly extend the lifespan of a water heater by minimizing hot spots and internal corrosion. It also helps maintain the efficiency of the heater, reducing sediment buildup that can interfere with the heat exchange process. Mine's about 23 years old now and it still works pretty well (though the thermostat in the gas control valve is going bad and needs to be replaced). It's probably finally time for a new water heater now. But yes, maintenance can help extend the lifespan.

Quote Originally Posted by Dob Hooligan View Post
    So, uh, how much are these savings? If a water tank is $400, update parts and materials are $50 and I have a place that will dispose of the old tank quickly and cheaply, then DIY is a possibility. If a tank is $800, parts & materials are $ 150 and I have to wait until big trash day in 60 days to get rid of the old unit, then paying $1400 for a professional and legal installation that is zero drag is not a bad deal, IMO.
    My total was a shade over $450 for a 50-gallon tank purchased from a reputable local supply house, not a Lowe's sale junker. My savings was just under $1,000. And I am 100% confident in my installation even though someone didn't drop a piece of paper on my head to say "professional." I read the codes, I know what I did, and three years later it's running beautifully.

You have your way, I have mine. In my book, I need that ~$1000 more than the "official" installers. If you're sufficiently flush with cash such that you won't miss $1k, power to you. With two kids in college, I'm not.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    My total was a shade over $450 for a 50-gallon tank purchased from a reputable local supply house, not a Lowe's sale junker. My savings was just under $1,000. And I am 100% confident in my installation even though someone didn't drop a piece of paper on my head to say "professional." I read the codes, I know what I did, and three years later it's running beautifully.

You have your way, I have mine. In my book, I need that ~$1000 more than the "official" installers. If you're sufficiently flush with cash such that you won't miss $1k, power to you. With two kids in college, I'm not.
    Yes, I am flush with cash. 40 years in the same blue collar job and frugal parents have blessed me. It has also left me with a broken down body that can’t paint a car hood or push one more than 2 steps.

Until I turned 50 I would have tried any project myself. Intelligence, ability and financial need made them more attractive then. Just can’t do it now.

Quote Originally Posted by Dob Hooligan View Post
    Yes, I am flush with cash. 40 years in the same blue collar job and frugal parents have blessed me. It has also left me with a broken down body that can’t paint a car hood or push one more than 2 steps.

Until I turned 50 I would have tried any project myself. Intelligence, ability and financial need made them more attractive then. Just can’t do it now.
    Hey I understand that completely. My comment was no knock on anyone who has to go the pro install route for reasons like yours. I grew up in a family of gifted DIY types, uncles who could fix anything, and I guess I caught a small fraction of their "how-to" chutzpah. We all have to do what's best for our own circumstances. Take care.

6. Default Re: Hot Water Tank Installation Price

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    not sure how anyone would know if you replaced your water heater
    If you go to sell your home, they may want to see the inspection sticker of that water heater. Hard to get it inspected without records of the licensed plumber who installed it.

I lived in Canadian county and did the job myself a few years ago. When I went to sell the home, the buyer's inspector noticed it was missing an inspection sticker, so I had the inspector come out. Luckily, I wasn't required to have it done by a licensed plumber, but I did have to re-do a few things to bring it up to code.

I had a 50-gal tank replaced last year for right around $1,300 (including the tank) by a plumber I've used and trusted for years. Sounds about average.

Thread Information