Widgets Magazine

Thread: New VA hospital in downtown Tulsa

Blog Entries

Default New VA hospital in downtown Tulsa

$173 million complex next to OSU Medical Center on the site of the current state office complex.

https://www.tulsaworld.com/news/mill...20ab4452a.html

2. Default Re: New VA hospital in downtown Tulsa

That's great to hear for that area and the Vets it will serve

Default Re: New VA hospital in downtown Tulsa

I just hope that $173 million doesn't turn into nearly $2 billion the way the one in Aurora, CO did. Original cost was supposed to be $375 million and no one was prosecuted.

This will be a great addition to the west end of downtown and help OSU build up its medical complex in that area. More jobs downtown will increase the need for housing, restaurants and retail.

This new hospital will also anchor the west end of the Arena District proposed for this area with 3rd and 7th Streets main connectors to the rest of downtown.

By law the government must accept the lowest bid. And in the contracting world government contracts are sought after for the fact that the government doesn’t budget for contract disputes when contractors go over budget or past deadlines. I.e. the new floor that was added to the okc campus several years ago. You know the one that the contractor bailed on. The entire floor has no electrical or capacity for future install. Bailing on a job with all the money without paying employees or finishing work. I wonder if there’s a famous guy with a history of that sort of business practice

By law the government must accept the lowest bid. And in the contracting world government contracts are sought after for the fact that the government doesn’t budget for contract disputes when contractors go over budget or past deadlines. I.e. the new floor that was added to the okc campus several years ago. You know the one that the contractor bailed on. The entire floor has no electrical or capacity for future install. Bailing on a job with all the money without paying employees or finishing work. I wonder if there’s a famous guy with a history of that sort of business practice

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    I don't think this is fully correct. Lowest best bid is what the terminology is, I believe. So if a bid comes in so low that it is obviously a fraud, they don't have to pick it. Some agencies may differ on that, but I doubt the VA is one of those.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    By law the government must accept the lowest bid.

this is not always the case ... it depends on how the gov issues the RFP

Quote Originally Posted by jdizzle View Post
    I don't think this is fully correct. Lowest best bid is what the terminology is, I believe. So if a bid comes in so low that it is obviously a fraud, they don't have to pick it. Some agencies may differ on that, but I doubt the VA is one of those.
    Of course the bid has to have a cost analysis. It wouldn’t be a bid. I’ve worked here for 12 years. I’m not kidding. We have an 8th floor add on here down town. That has no electricity and no install capability. If you drive by the 10th street side you can see it. It’s the beige top floor. It was shuttered as soon as the contractor bailed. Delays and mid contract negotiations are the norm for and VA. Contract. Our contracts are very sought after because we aren’t able to enforce deadlines or penalties on contractors. It’s a thing. Newsok did an interesting article on it

Here’s an article that serves as a textbook case of what I’m talking about. https://oklahoman.com/article/558821...ehind-schedule

The big winners in this are the OSU medical center and the Tulsa area vets. Having a veteran hospital attached to an allied health training campus is a draw for students and interns.
    The big loser in this is probably Muskogee, the current site of the VA hospital.

The Muskogee site is going to become a behavioral medicine center with no loss of jobs. No losers, just veterans as winners.

Having two large health complexes (OU in OKC and OSU in Tulsa) benefits the entire state as these services are clustered in the two major cities.

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    This new hospital will also anchor the west end of the Arena District proposed for this area with 3rd and 7th Streets main connectors to the rest of downtown.

This is the first I have seen this image. Noticed some interesting things.

1. The old city hall that is currently Aloft is gone.
    2. Page Belcher Federal Building is gone. While this would be welcome, it seems like a pipe dream at this point.
    3. Bus station on Denver is gone.
    4. Police Station/Civil Courts replaced.

Are these all projects that have been mentioned at one point or another. I know many have dreamed of Page Belcher's demise.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    Having two large health complexes (OU in OKC and OSU in Tulsa) benefits the entire state as these services are clustered in the two major cities.
    That's good for the two largest cities which now house two trauma centers, one in each city. Want to see more development in Tulsa; because if Oklahoma's two largest metro areas can work together--it strategically puts the state in a better position to serve Oklahoma holistically.

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    The Muskogee site is going to become a behavioral medicine center with no loss of jobs. No losers, just veterans as winners.
    I agree this is good for the veterans. Part of the article comments that one of the challenges of the Muskogee location was recruiting providers. It is much easier to convince people to practice in Tulsa.
    Considering the shortage of behavioral health providers in the state, I don't think opening a behavioral medicine center in place of a hospital will be zero sum. In fact it will likely make the recruiting problem worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    This is the first I have seen this image. Noticed some interesting things.

1. The old city hall that is currently Aloft is gone.
    2. Page Belcher Federal Building is gone. While this would be welcome, it seems like a pipe dream at this point.
    3. Bus station on Denver is gone.
    4. Police Station/Civil Courts replaced.

Are these all projects that have been mentioned at one point or another. I know many have dreamed of Page Belcher's demise.
    This is the city's Arena District master plan. Page Belcher will be replaced, not an if but when as Tulsa will need a new federal building first. Here are the options they are considering:

Thread Information