Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2020 Extreme Football League XFL

Default Re: 2020 Extreme Football League XFL

^ Not so much on the salary point you made. Average salary in 2001 was 45k. This version it's 55k.

XFL Salaries: How Much Money Do XFL Players Make? | Fanbuzz
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/fanbuzz...-salaries/amp/

2. Default Re: 2020 Extreme Football League XFL

I agree that there’s no comparison with the NFL. And I’ve had NO interest in any alternative pro football leagues before. But there’s something about this one that’s interesting. The games this last weekend were pretty good football.

Quote Originally Posted by Colbafone View Post
    That iteration of the league had to pay larger payrolls too. It was trying to challenge the NFL. This is not. This league doesn't need 20k to sustain its payroll. 17k is plenty to make a team work. That's not the point of this league. I get 17k doesn't compete against the 80k the NFL pulls, and so does the XFL. They get it, they aren't worries about that.

And besides, go read up on fan experiences. DC and Houston fans absolutely LOVED how intimate it was. Dallas and New York left a lot to be desired because they are in stadiums they will never fill. But St. Louis is talking about already having 30k tickets sold for next weekend.

Anyway, the point is, with its payroll and expenses, something between 15 and 20k makes this league completely stable and doable. I hope they can move NY out of Metlife and into the RedBulls stadium. And move Dallas to Frisco at the Dallas FC facility. Those would both be much better and create a much better atmosphere.
    Great points, and I’ve been to a DFC game in Frisco its perfect.

Another thing its much cheaper than NFL and families can afford it plus have more fun with a faster flowing game.

And a last point, soccer has more than 1 league look at OKC having basically a triple A team still here. Same with baseball, AAA is sustainable and fun. Football is the biggest sport and yet has no sub league. If done right I think it can sustain.

Football has no sub league because college football is also wildly popular, unlike college baseball or college soccer. Really think the XFL still has an uphill climb to succeed long-term.

Quote Originally Posted by SEMIweather View Post
    Football has no sub league because college football is also wildly popular, unlike college baseball or college soccer. Really think the XFL still has an uphill climb to succeed long-term.
    College has baseball and other sports too but I see your point.

However, this league is playing after NFL season so not head to head

On the plus side, tickets for the washington game went for more than tickets to see the redskins.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Vu View Post
    On the plus side, tickets for the washington game went for more than tickets to see the redskins.
    Cheapest tics for the Stl Battlehawks opener are around $70.00 and they are playing in a a 65k seat stadium but only using the lower bowl. I think it's around 38k and they expect close to if not a sellout.

But from what I understand the XFL has a tv contract that should keep them going as long as folks keep tuning in. I think the play will get better as the season goes on. They didn't have any preseason games and I heard they only had one live tackling practice.

With only 8 teams right now it leaves plenty of room for expansion if they can sustain. Don't see any reason why OKC couldn't get into the mix for a future team. If they are using 20k average then I don't see that as competing with Dallas. 20k is a drop in the bucket.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCRT View Post
    Cheapest tics for the Stl Battlehawks opener are around $70.00 and they are playing in a a 65k seat stadium but only using the lower bowl. I think it's around 38k and they expect close to if not a sellout.

But from what I understand the XFL has a tv contract that should keep them going as long as folks keep tuning in. I think the play will get better as the season goes on. They didn't have any preseason games and I heard they only had one live tackling practice.

With only 8 teams right now it leaves plenty of room for expansion if they can sustain. Don't see any reason why OKC couldn't get into the mix for a future team. If they are using 20k average then I don't see that as competing with Dallas. 20k is a drop in the bucket.
    Yup, St. Louis is already right in the borderline of a sell out, and Seattle announced yesterday that they've opened up more of their stadium for tickets with a higher turnout than they expected for their home opener this weekend.

They actually had several scrimmages before the season started. As in, joint practices that ended in a half (half of a game) of a full scrimmage between team a and team b.

Man, I'm 100% behind building our Maps stadium PRONTO, building it immediately with around 20k capaticy and going to Vince McMahon with "we are here, let's expand and do this". It's not that I feel the XFL will turn into some mega billion dollar company, but if it can sustain prime time, over the air broadcasts on Fox and ABC and ESPN of their games, and OKC can get in relatively cheaply, why the hell would we NOT jump all over that?

The TV viewership ratings for all 4 XFL games were pretty damn good. Nothing compared to the NFL, no. But again, we're talking primetime TV. Guaranteed every week. That's more exposure than the Thunder will receive by the end of the year, or at least until the playoffs.

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...985b5492d.html

There's a good national and local perspective/look on that Week 1 ratings.

10. Default Re: 2020 Extreme Football League XFL

Still perplexed on why they went to certain cities rather than others.

No idea why they went to LA. Rams and Chargers still have not gained any traction there. Seems destined to fail.
    No idea why they didn't go to San Antonio over Houston. Tampa and DC are questionable at best.
    St. Louis was a perfect fit.
    Milwaukee, San Diego, Memphis, Louisville, Tulsa, Salt Lake City are all cities that you would think would work. Football crazed states in cities with stadiums that would work with no NFL competition.

i have to say the MLS size stadium set up is great.
    That is why i do not understand why they do not play at the Red bull stadium in Jersey or toyota park in Frisco.
    Audi field looks great with steep stand.

Quote Originally Posted by worthy cook View Post
    Still perplexed on why they went to certain cities rather than others.

No idea why they went to LA. Rams and Chargers still have not gained any traction there. Seems destined to fail.
    No idea why they didn't go to San Antonio over Houston. Tampa and DC are questionable at best.
    St. Louis was a perfect fit.
    Milwaukee, San Diego, Memphis, Louisville, Tulsa, Salt Lake City are all cities that you would think would work. Football crazed states in cities with stadiums that would work with no NFL competition.
    I think they went into the larger markets first to get TV ratings country wide. Notice how the teams are scattered out? If this catches on I would assume expansion is the next step. I do agree about LA. That area is just not a strong Pro Football market.

L.A. opens their new stadium (SoFi) next season and you'll see a big up-tick in attendance then.

Rams were already doing well in the colosseum; 11th best in the league. Chargers have been playing in a small soccer stadium since their move. Both teams will play in SoFi next season.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    L.A. opens their new stadium (SoFi) next season and you'll see a big up-tick in attendance then.

Rams were already doing well in the colosseum; 11th best in the league. Chargers have been playing in a small soccer stadium since their move. Both teams will play in SoFi next season.
    La will get a lot of fans from visiting teams. I watched a few Rams games last season and it looked like the visitors outnumbered the home team. But La has been a soft NFL market for years.

15. Default Re: 2020 Extreme Football League XFL

But percentage wise they were 26th at 92.8%. And that is paid attendance. Just like the thunder, we know it's "sold out" but there are a thousand or so actual empty seats most nights. Like the chargers down the road (and future attendance in Las Vegas) I would bet that a huge chunk of that was opposing fans. Which is fine, but long term it has to have them worried a bit. I do agree though, once the new stadium opens up it might breathe new life into the fan base.

The Colosseum is a horrible place with a ton of bad seats with nothing else around, and was always meant as temporary anyway.

I bet both teams draw well in their new home, which should be pretty amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCRT View Post
    I think they went into the larger markets first to get TV ratings country wide. Notice how the teams are scattered out? If this catches on I would assume expansion is the next step. I do agree about LA. That area is just not a strong Pro Football market.
    Exactly. A 3% OKC TV market share is less than a 1% Dallas market share. Regardless how many fans go the ultimate money is in TV deals.

Here’s what most don’t understand. Right now TV is paying $0 to XFL!

“Terms of the three-year deal weren’t disclosed, but people familiar with the matter said no cash is changing hands. Disney and Fox will keep all the television advertising inventory for the games and cover production costs while the football league will sell sponsorships, the people said.”

https://www.wsj.com/articles/xfl-str...ey-11557146700

This is to get viewers which is why they picked big markets. Once it sustains then they will get new TV deals with money (proof of concept).

Its smart. It doesn’t cost TV to show which means TV won’t cut games off due to lack of enough viewers. If TV had paid for initial rights then they would need lots of viewers to make the cost work. And if it lacked viewers they would move to sub networks. This approach is brilliant by XFL. Don’t charge TV a dime but get them to only commit to showing your games. If TV can make good profits and grow the sport then future deals can net both money.

Quote Originally Posted by OKC Guy View Post
    Exactly. A 3% OKC TV market share is less than a 1% Dallas market share. Regardless how many fans go the ultimate money is in TV deals.

Here’s what most don’t understand. Right now TV is paying $0 to XFL!

“Terms of the three-year deal weren’t disclosed, but people familiar with the matter said no cash is changing hands. Disney and Fox will keep all the television advertising inventory for the games and cover production costs while the football league will sell sponsorships, the people said.”

https://www.wsj.com/articles/xfl-str...ey-11557146700

This is to get viewers which is why they picked big markets. Once it sustains then they will get new TV deals with money (proof of concept).

Its smart. It doesn’t cost TV to show which means TV won’t cut games off due to lack of enough viewers. If TV had paid for initial rights then they would need lots of viewers to make the cost work. And if it lacked viewers they would move to sub networks. This approach is brilliant by XFL. Don’t charge TV a dime but get them to only commit to showing your games. If TV can make good profits and grow the sport then future deals can net both money.
    what should be noted is that the AAF had to pay their own production costs ..

I watched almost all of the games. I'm not too proud to say that I am a slug for any pro football played on a full sized field. I thought the week one offense was better than AAF got to by the end (5-6 weeks?). I think the uniforms look better than AAF did, and the choice of cities is good. I think this is a well planned league. The best since NFL Europe was at the end.

I think they have money and a plan to move slow. I like it and will keep watching.

I just wish Landry Jones had played. I think it is a bad look that he was a healthy scratch. Makes me wonder if he isn't sold on the protection, or doesn't have "it" anymore. I think he has something to prove if he wants to continue in football.

The Colosseum is a horrible place with a ton of bad seats with nothing else around, and was always meant as temporary anyway.

I bet both teams draw well in their new home, which should be pretty amazing.
    That new LA Stadium looks absolutely incredible

Quote Originally Posted by Dob Hooligan View Post
    I watched almost all of the games. I'm not too proud to say that I am a slug for any pro football played on a full sized field. I thought the week one offense was better than AAF got to by the end (5-6 weeks?). I think the uniforms look better than AAF did, and the choice of cities is good. I think this is a well planned league. The best since NFL Europe was at the end.

I think they have money and a plan to move slow. I like it and will keep watching.

I just wish Landry Jones had played. I think it is a bad look that he was a healthy scratch. Makes me wonder if he isn't sold on the protection, or doesn't have "it" anymore. I think he has something to prove if he wants to continue in football.
    With Landry it just sounds like they were being overly cautious and giving him another week to heal.

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    With Landry it just sounds like they were being overly cautious and giving him another week to heal.
    I'm sure you are right. And I cannot argue with that reasoning. But, there is a part of my mind that thinks he could have played in order to help support the start of a league that will give many more employment opportunities in the game that has given him so much in life. And then another part of mind says to me "okay boomer".

Quote Originally Posted by Dob Hooligan View Post

You've nailed my thoughts on this league. I've liked what I've seen so far.

Blog Entries

Post Re: 2020 Extreme Football League XFL

XFL Attendance Report after two games in week 3 is already over 40k; https://www.nfldraftdiamonds.com/202...attendance-17/

XFL Attendance Week[/b] 1: 69,818:

Los Angeles Wildcats at Houston Roughnecks — 17,815
    Seattle Dragons at DC Defenders — 17,163
    Tampa Bay Vipers at New York Guardians — 17,634
    St. Louis Battlehawks at Dallas Renegades — 17,206

XFL Attendance Week 2: 76,285

New York Guardians at DC Defenders — 15,031
    Tampa Bay Vipers at Seattle Dragons — 29,172
    Dallas Renegades at LA Wildcats — 14,979
    St. Louis Battlehawks at Houston Roughnecks — 17,103

Total Attendance Leaders (As of XFL Week 2)

1. HOU: 34,918 (2 games)
    2. DC: 32,194 (2 games)
    3. SEA: 29,172 (1 game)
    4. NY: 17,634 (1 game)
    5. DAL: 17,206 (1 game)
    6. LA: 14,979 (1 game)
    7. TB: Home opener on Feb. 22: Week 3, where Tampa Bay had 18,117 fans for their first home game.
    8. STL: Home opener on Feb. 23

BattleHawks tickets selling for more than Rams averaged in St. Louis: https://kmox.radio.com/articles/news...-rams-averaged

"BattleHawks tickets selling for more than Rams averaged in St. Louis: https://kmox.radio.com/articles/news...-rams-averaged"

Keep in mind though that unlike the Rams the upper decks were tarped off.

TV ratings dropped 34% from week 1 to week 2. Ratings dropped another 23% from week 2 to week 3. Ratings for week 3 dropped 52% from week 1. Keep in mind these are slow weeks for sports. When the NCAA and NBA playoffs start there will be even more of a reason for the sports fan to watch something else.
    I know how folks love an underdog, but......
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mor...-3/ar-BB10nWjl

Thread Information