Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Swadleys

1. Default Swadleys

No pics, but Swadleys has their sign up on the old Enterprise rental place on 29th just west of AirDepot.

Default Re: Swadleys

Welcome to Swadley's.... It's been a long time waiting for a year and welcomes to Midwest City.

3. Default Re: Swadleys

Wondering if this died. They did very little to the building before COVID and have not just stopped with it partially messed up.

They have been working a lot on their Foggy Bottom ventures at the state parks. Maybe they just were too busy.

I'm sure they will start working on it again once things quiet down a bit more with the pandemic.

Yes I think a lot of restaurants that were supposed to open up in the spring have pumped the brakes until things normalized a bit more.

7. Default Re: Swadleys

I noticed more demo work was done on the outside. Seems like they're getting closer to the bones to put on whatever new facade they want.

I hope this keeps on moving forward. They will have the market to themselves in MWC.

9. Default Re: Swadleys

Billy Sim's is a mile away.....

Spencer's isn't close, but people still drive for it (i dont, i dont like their kind of ribs where you feel like a dog gnawing a bone).

Billy Simms is ok, but I honestly think that swadleys has a better overall product (and consistent) and far better side options.

11. Default Re: Swadleys

Well Billy Simms uses a central kitchen rather than one at each site. They control the product more that way.
    The downside is you'll notice there are no fried items at their locations (okra/fries/etc).

Forgot to add Rib Crib, although it's a few miles east.

I like Billy Sims, but I've never had Swadley's so i'm interested in trying.

I had a really frustrating experience in MWC a few weeks ago, just trying to eat.
    Wanted some sliced brisket, well RibCrib (and a lot of other places) dont have it right now. Supply problems from Covid.
    OK, well lets go go Pei Wei...oh wait, it's not permanently closed. I just did a take-out from there a few weeks ago!
    Hm, well CHick Fil A is next door, well hell the line is 60 cars deep, F that.
    Fuzzy, oh no pork for that Spicy Pork Taco you like.
    Fine, i'll just end up at Wendys and get a crappy burger now that i've wasted 45 minutes....shoulda just sucked it up and cooked that night.

Whatever happened to Mr Spriggs BBQ? Are they gone?

HangryHippo Guest

So, the Pei Wei in MWC is permanently closed?

Yes, shortly after covid started pei Wei closed down, it had been struggling for awhile. After the Panda Express opened a few years ago many people went there for the slightly cheaper food and much bigger portions.

Quote Originally Posted by Tritoon View Post
    Yes, shortly after covid started pei Wei closed down, it had been struggling for awhile. After the Panda Express opened a few years ago many people went there for the slightly cheaper food and much bigger portions.
    that panda was open before that pei wei

16. Default Re: Swadleys

Panda = yuk

Sprigs never really made it well after their move north from Town Center. It changed a couple of times and just sputtered out. I didn't care for their sauce myself (too vinegar heavy) but a lot of people seemed to drop after it moved. Someone told me it changed hands and that the new crew just didn't do as well. Maybe the higher cost of the new building played a part? I can't imagine they were paying much for that old car dealership building near 29th.

I’ve been wondering about and impatiently waiting for Swadleys too. I can’t wait to go there for lunch. I’ve been hounding their FB page for years to come to MWC lol.

18. Default Re: Swadleys

This endeavor appears dead in the water. They pulled the temporary sign over and haven't touched the place in a couple of months. Disappointing.

Johnnies converted over in a flash, but of course the place was already set up to make burgers. It was really just a coat of paint.

The sign is still there, it’s just blown over. I asked them on FB a couple weeks ago if that store is still in their plans, they said yes!

Work has started!

21. Default Re: Swadleys

Yeah they gutted it even more! It's basically down to some supports holding a roof up. I sort of wonder why not just start over at this point. I'm sure it's a numbers thing, but with as much as has been removed, i mean it's sort of weird to just have and roof with a few cinder block walls and metal poles. Crap, you could put it back up as a metal building with a proper exterior and get a large open space. Maybe it's foundation cost too? I don't know.

I just always question when people make this particular choice because where I've seen it done, it typically means there's not enough capital investment involved to "do it right". So more often than not, the business that goes in, doesn't last. Obviously, not because of the building, but because they weren't financially really able to do it in the first place and pushed something that they really couldn't afford unless it went REALLY well on the flip side. Buuut, that doesn't normally happen.

Here's to hoping i'm wrong.

7CF8E6E4-F9D1-4628-8C0A-0EC980DBFFD1.jpeg

You’re right about it being down to the studs.

23. Default Re: Swadleys

The transformation is complete. Opens on Monday. Good luck with the crowds if you go. I'll give it a month or two before i go visit.

Swadleys.jpg

24. Default Re: Swadleys

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    The transformation is complete. Opens on Monday. Good luck with the crowds if you go. I'll give it a month or two before i go visit.
    Crowds at Swadley's?

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Roger S View Post
    Crowds at Swadley's?
    lol this.

Thread Information