Widgets Magazine

Thread: Kitchen knife sharpening recommendations

Default Kitchen knife sharpening recommendations

Hey all. So I want to get my kitchen knives professionally sharpened because, honestly, I don't trust myself to do a good job - and the edge on my chef's knife definitely needs some TLC. Does anyone have any recommendations on my options for professional knife sharpening here in OKC - especially if they're not too expensive per blade?

Default Re: Kitchen knife sharpening recommendations

not exactly what you asked but i use one of these sharpeners with pretty decent results... all you have to do is hold the blade perpendicularly and slide it through a few times, so it doesn't exactly take a ton of finesse.

https://www.amazon.com/KitchenIQ-500...s%2C175&sr=8-4

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    not exactly what you asked but i use one of these sharpeners with pretty decent results... all you have to do is hold the blade perpendicularly and slide it through a few times, so it doesn't exactly take a ton of finesse.

https://www.amazon.com/KitchenIQ-500...s%2C175&sr=8-4
    Yep, what he said, I use one of these all the time:

https://www.amazon.com/ChefsChoice-P...gearpublish-20

However, I used to use the Ace on Britton Rd, they did a good job, not sure if they still do it, and I think you're south, so they're probably too far. Check with an Ace near you, though. I've also used either Lowe's or Home Depot with decent results, but can't remember which one did it, I think it was Lowe's, but can't be sure. It was only a $2-3/blade, IIRC, I had a set of 5 done and it was around $20 total, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by baralheia View Post
    Hey all. So I want to get my kitchen knives professionally sharpened because, honestly, I don't trust myself to do a good job - and the edge on my chef's knife definitely needs some TLC. Does anyone have any recommendations on my options for professional knife sharpening here in OKC - especially if they're not too expensive per blade?

I know my mom goes to culinary kitchen and gets hers done. No idea if they’re professional or if they just humor her since she buys expensive knives from them. May call and ask them, they are off 74th and N Western.

Quote Originally Posted by thunderbird View Post
    I know my mom goes to culinary kitchen and gets hers done. No idea if they’re professional or if they just humor her since she buys expensive knives from them. May call and ask them, they are off 74th and N Western.
    I would also contact Sur La Table and/or Williams-Sonoma. When I lived in SoCal, I believe Ralph's or Von's used to have a service where you'd drop off your knives and they'd sharpen them.

I will say several years ago I had a WS gift card and bought 2 Wusthof sharpeners, a regular one and a santoku one, and they both do a fine job keeping my knives sharp. I wouldn't know where to take it if I really needed it repaired/honed/whatever you call it, but I admit I haven't done much research.

My neighbor swears there's a mobile knife repair service around, but I don't know anything about it.

Quote Originally Posted by barrettd View Post
    I would also contact Sur La Table and/or Williams-Sonoma. When I lived in SoCal, I believe Ralph's or Von's used to have a service where you'd drop off your knives and they'd sharpen them.

I will say several years ago I had a WS gift card and bought 2 Wusthof sharpeners, a regular one and a santoku one, and they both do a fine job keeping my knives sharp. I wouldn't know where to take it if I really needed it repaired/honed/whatever you call it, but I admit I haven't done much research.

My neighbor swears there's a mobile knife repair service around, but I don't know anything about it.

Afilador?

8. Default Re: Kitchen knife sharpening recommendations

I'm pretty sure there was a thread on here in the last year or two on this same subject that had a few local options.

I have used Knife Aid (a mail order service) and they did a great job.

Quote Originally Posted by jpetey99 View Post
    I have used Knife Aid (a mail order service) and they did a great job.
    I keep seeing their ads on Instagram and wondered if it was legit. Good to hear.

So, we have a Wusthof knife that my wife loves and is her go to knife. I did some research and apparently Wusthof says their knives are best sharpened at a specific angle and apparently it's different than the angle that's best for Henckels, etc. So, I picked up a Wusthof branded sharpener that has a course and fine grinding v on it and that thing makes her knife unbelievably sharp. I use it for other knives too and I have a couple of Ikea knives that I love and it makes them very sharp.

We have a set of Wusthof knives and have been interested in getting their sharpener. Glad to hear a good review of it.

Sur la Table charges $5.00 per knife, first knife free, no serrated blades, 24 hour turnaround.

Quote Originally Posted by CloudDeckMedia View Post
    Sur la Table charges $5.00 per knife, first knife free, no serrated blades, 24 hour turnaround.
    Good to know!

There's a little hole in the wall knife shop on the east side of MacArthur, about NW 32nd St or so.

Beware, I do NOT recommend this guy. He ruined a couple of my knives, the steel turned that burned blue look.

Besides that, he's usually in a grouchy ****ty mood.

Find someone else.

Thread Information