Widgets Magazine
Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 Oklahoma City Aviation Thread

Default Re: 2020 Oklahoma City Aviation Thread

By the time I have my trip to Portland in August, the security lines will be back to their ignorantly stupid length for an airport OKC's size...goody!

As the airline industry changes, is it possible that small commercial airports near bigger airports, like Stillwater or Lawton ,close ?

Quote Originally Posted by damonsmuz View Post
    As the airline industry changes, is it possible that small commercial airports near bigger airports, like Stillwater or Lawton ,close ?
    Stillwater probably, Lawton probably not. Military traffic is pretty big there, can't see AA walking away from it.

Adding to that thought, the big 3 have all signaled that if it can't be sustained with 76 seats it has a slim chance of surviving this one. They are all planning on keeping some level of 50 seaters around but nothing to the degree that they have on property right now.

If they lose commercial flights they likely will go on as general aviation airports. Stillwater Airport continued operations for almost 40 years between losing commercial service early 80s and regaining it again a few years ago.

5. Default Re: 2020 Oklahoma City Aviation Thread

Stillwater has good business from OSU's flight school there. Many muni airports survive right now as general aviation airports.

I took his question as the commercial terminal staying open or closed - correct shouldn't be any airport closures, just ends of commercial service at some smaller airports. Hopefully SWO can survive this, though.

My apologies for not being clear. I meant stations closed (i.e. AA). Yes, GA will slill live on.

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    I took his question as the commercial terminal staying open or closed - correct shouldn't be any airport closures, just ends of commercial service at some smaller airports. Hopefully SWO can survive this, though.
    As powerful and respected as Burns Hargis is, I suspect a deal will get made to keep service. It was exceeding all expectations pre crash.

Looks like Delta will be adding flights this summer in an effort to keep planes only 60% full. So, more flights but less full.

Maybe catch knows but I wonder if the an airline like WN considers, refitting all planes to 2 seats per row and raising prices to offset loss of capacity.

I can't imagine any airline removing seats. The cost to take out a seat may be far higher than to just leave the seat empty and charge a higher place as is. My wife flew United last week and while United has said that they will make sure there's an empty seat next to you, that's only if it's possible. She had a fairly empty flight from OKC-DEN but DEN-SLC was full (EMB-175)

I can't imagine any airline removing seats. The cost to take out a seat may be far higher than to just leave the seat empty and charge a higher place as is. My wife flew United last week and while United has said that they will make sure there's an empty seat next to you, that's only if it's possible. She had a fairly empty flight from OKC-DEN but DEN-SLC was full (EMB-175)
    had some codeshares this last year i Europe. I think it was Lufthansa. the first class seats were still three across with the middle seat blocked off. Very odd

Easier to block seats off than pay to test and recertify the aircraft to a lower seating capacity. The airlines are only going to be performing social distancing as long as people are thinking about it, the moment they can get away with going back to normal they will. It's PR fluff at this point to return confidence back to the general public in regards to flying.

Easier to block seats off than pay to test and recertify the aircraft to a lower seating capacity. The airlines are only going to be performing social distancing as long as people are thinking about it, the moment they can get away with going back to normal they will. It's PR fluff at this point to return confidence back to the general public in regards to flying.
    Right and I’d put that at 99% chance.

But the 1% is this could be a structural shift in how we fly. 9/11 was. It would be more expensive but a return to yesterday in luxury.

Quote Originally Posted by gopokes88 View Post
    Right and I’d put that at 99% chance.

But the 1% is this could be a structural shift in how we fly. 9/11 was. It would be more expensive but a return to yesterday in luxury.
    Could happen. United is pulling seats out of all 76 seaters and converting to 70 now to prepare for pilot furloughs in October. The pilot's union contract requires that the company cannot operate an aircraft with more than 70 seats if any pilot on the seniority list hired before 12/8/2012 is furloughed. I could see some kind of PR spin to say it's about creating more space or comfort onboard

1-C-1-h Effect of Furlough
    If a Pilot on the Seniority List with an employment date prior to the date of signing of this
    Agreement is placed on furlough, the Company shall convert all 76-Seat Aircraft for
    operation as 70-Seat Aircraft. The number of such aircraft shall continue to be limited as
    though they were being operated as 76-Seat Aircraft. The Company may again commence
    operating such Aircraft as 76-Seat Aircraft effective on the date that the most junior Pilot
    protected by the first sentence of this Section 1-C-1-h is recalled from furlough.

Catch, back in the 90s, AA campaigned on "more leg space in coach". Sounds like what is old may be new again .

How many planes are parked at the airport, and which airlines?

Right imagine one of the airlines, probably SW, saying well this is a permanent shift. We’re raising prices but the entire aircraft now has domestic first class seats. It would require a cultural shift among Americans who must always have the cheapest flight possible, but maybe.

Didn't we have direct non stop flights to/from LAX? If so, are those now gone?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ward View Post
    Didn't we have direct non stop flights to/from LAX? If so, are those now gone?

Thanks
    AA's flights to LAX are currently suspended. As well as most destinations. I think AA is only flying to DFW PHX and CLT. I havent looked at the schedules in a while as my personal life has been surprisingly busy and I'm trying to not focus too much on aviation at the moment as it is incredibly depressing for me

21. Default Re: 2020 Oklahoma City Aviation Thread

ua and aa had okc-lax
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

united dropped okc-lax a few years ago. 2018?

Southwest going after Delta.

3x daily OKC-ATL begins December.

24. Default Re: 2020 Oklahoma City Aviation Thread

Southwest going after Delta.

3x daily OKC-ATL begins December.
    Wow, even in these times. I'm not the biggest fan of either airline (I don't like not having a seat assignment, and I seem to have a consistently bad experience on Delta), but despite Delta being the airline du jour in the US right now they seem to have phoned it in with their OKC operation for a long time.

Looking at Southwest Airlines schedule update, does it appear that they are going back to pre-COVID operations out of OKC by November?

Also, United Airlines going 4 flights to ORD starting this fall.

Is this one of those " we can scale back if necessary" sort of things?

Thread Information