Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cousins Maine Lobster

Food Truck Cousins Maine Lobster

According to their FB page, and the main website, Cousins Maine Lobster food truck begins operation in central Oklahoma March 14.

https://www.cousinsmainelobster.com/

https://www.facebook.com/CMLobsterOKC/

Default Re: Cousins Maine Lobster

Very cool, remember seeing these guys on Shark Tank.

Nice.

Website says they source from Maine waterways and only use sustainable practices, so I am guessing the price point is $20 per lobster roll here in landlocked Oklahoma.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Hausfrau View Post
    Website says they source from Maine waterways and only use sustainable practices, so I am guessing the price point is $20 per lobster roll here in landlocked Oklahoma.
    I just looked at the price for the southern Connecticut one, and a roll is $17 there. I shutter to think of the price here, as I love lobster rolls!

i love the idea of this type of stand, but I just don't see people supporting it here.

Quote Originally Posted by chuck5815 View Post
    i love the idea of this type of stand, but I just don't see people supporting it here.
    I would drop 20 for a great lobster roll if it is done like in the pictures full of big chunks of meat but you may be right. Hopefully they find a long term market. I think a lot of the food trucks are overpriced but they draw crowds.

Lobster rolls are awesome but yeah, I think the price point is going to be too high for the model to be sustainable. Grabbed a lobster roll at a Plano food hall a few years back. It was like $18-19 from what I remember. While it was very good, I can’t imagine getting it but once every several months at most. And I generally am ok with paying more for quality food.

I remember my business trip to Maine and a great lobster roll was $2.50. Ok, it was 1980 but wow, it was great. I'm retired and on a fixed income but if I can find somebody to take me, I will spend $20 and love every minute of it.
    C. T.

Not speculating about the success of this concept, but people routinely spend $20 at lunch at spots throughout OKC. If the food is good it will probably work.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    Not speculating about the success of this concept, but people routinely spend $20 at lunch at spots throughout OKC. If the food is good it will probably work.
    And maybe that’s why kids aren’t able to pay off their student loans.

Seriously, what do you consider “routinely?” I don’t eat lunch but my wife has worked downtown for the past 8-9 years. She said unless she picks up the app at the table, lunch would rarely cost $20. Said the same thing about most of her colleagues.

Quote Originally Posted by soonermike81 View Post

Seriously, what do you consider “routinely?” I don’t eat lunch but my wife has worked downtown for the past 8-9 years. She said unless she picks up the app at the table, lunch would rarely cost $20. Said the same thing about most of her colleagues.
    I think that's fair to say for most business lunches we have, but not for my typical personal lunch. With this being a food truck, that seems high - regardless of the quality.

Quote Originally Posted by soonermike81 View Post
    Probably not the same group of people.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    "People?" "Routinely?"

You must live in a much different reality than I.

I'm a brown-bagger. Routinely shelling out $20 for lunch? That's absurd.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    "People?" "Routinely?"

You must live in a much different reality than I.

I'm a brown-bagger. Routinely shelling out $20 for lunch? That's absurd.
    Yes Dave I share the same perspective. I always look for a special if going out. I don't even spend 10 bucks for lunch routinely. When it comes to dining out there are various perceptions on what is reasonable. That said in the lobster roll, i would gladly eat at home a few times so i could make that splurge.

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    Yes Dave I share the same perspective. I always look for a special if going out. I don't even spend 10 bucks for lunch routinely. When it comes to dining out there are various perceptions on what is reasonable. That said in the lobster roll, i would gladly eat at home a few times so i could make that splurge.
    And that's the key word - splurge. Yeah, I don't mind the occasional splurge, but $20 is one *heck* of a splurge for lunch. As a contrast, my recent *dinner* at Clark Crew BBQ was $20 for the two-meat platter, two sides, and cornbread. That's pretty healthy scratch for lunch. If that's in someone's wheelhouse, that's great, go for it, but I think at best the Mrs. and I might try *one* and split it...

Food trucks operate on nights and weekends and special events.

Don't know why people are so fixated on lunch alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Food trucks operate on nights and weekends and special events.

exactly. i honestly can not tell you the last time i had a food truck for lunch. For dinner at an event, many times. For dinner because i see it on my way home, many times

I generally think all food trucks are too expensive and rarely eat at them, even though we have many at my office. But these truck do well all over the country, so I am sure they'll do fine here. I'm sure if they came to my office once a month they'd be busy.

I don’t think people are. Just responding to one person’s comments about routinely spending $20 for lunch.

Any lunch meal that isn't fast food is going to be somewhere around $11-$15.... add in tax and tip and yeah, $20 lunch isn't difficult at all to get to. Burger fries and drink at the Garage plus tax and tip for me just the other day was a tad over $17. EDIT: And, the line was out the door at 1130am, so clearly I'm not an outlier on this.

And, FTR, I will personally STALK this truck to buy their $20 lobster rolls if they are good.

Their food pretty much gets rave reviews in other markets.

If they offer a good, high-quality lobster roll, there will be plenty of people willing to pay $20.

Their food pretty much gets rave reviews in other markets.

If they offer a good, high-quality lobster roll, there will be plenty of people willing to pay $20.
    Hard to compare as it's super popular and a brick and mortar, but Neptune's in Boston's lobster rolls are ~$40.

People spend a ridiculous amount of money for food at special events all the time. If people are willing to spend 6 dollars for a corn dog at the state fair, they are more than willing to spend 14 more for good lobster. This truck isn't going to be hanging out at construction sites during the lunch hour. A food truck also doesn't need to bring in the same kind of foot traffic a brick and mortar restaurant needs to bring in.

I would kill for a good lobster roll. Money is no object.
    C. T.

Thread Information