Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Texas High Speed Rail

Blog Entries

Default Re: Texas High Speed Rail

I would personally use it for trips to Houston, after taking the flyer to FTW and the TRE to Dallas.

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    I would personally use it for trips to Houston, after taking the flyer to FTW and the TRE to Dallas.
    It might have just been rumor because I can't find anything in writing, but I remember hearing at one point that TC was at least exploring the idea of integrating ticket sales with Amtrak. I think it's an idea with merit, enabling the use of Amtrak as a feeder to get TC riders to the northern and southern terminus of the high-speed line and simplifying ticketing for passengers traveling farther than just between Dallas and Houston.

Blog Entries

Years ago, I went to a public meeting with TXDOT and ODOT officials. They were saying that there was possibly going to be a high speed rail built from Houston to Texas and they were gauging interest in continuing that line into Oklahoma. Maybe connecting via Amtrak instead was their takeaway after that meeting.

When this project was announced there was no solid plan for a new infrastructure bill in this country but now they’re saying the future of it relies on the bipartisan infrastructure bill. That makes me skeptical:

https://www.wfaa.com/mobile/article/...8-64dd51c2c159

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    When this project was announced there was no solid plan for a new infrastructure bill in this country but now they’re saying the future of it relies on the bipartisan infrastructure bill. That makes me skeptical:

https://www.wfaa.com/mobile/article/...8-64dd51c2c159
    There's a 50% chance it'll happen, did I read it right that they already secured $12B loan to finance the project from the private sector? They're waiting on the infrastructure bill's approval so they can borrow another $12B from it. Other numbers I saw were their projected ticket price which is 75% of airline tickets and they secured 40% of the land needed, the other 60% they will pay for later. And only 11 land crossings. Man, I just want this high-speed rail to happen. It will be transformative to say the least

I agree I am really eager to see this project happen and I am watching it like a hawk. Thank you for the additional stats on it so far.

My guess is that the landowner will lose this. My grandfather owned farm land in the NW part of Norman before I35 was built. He had the half section of land south of Robinson and between 24th and 36th. He got paid for it but was powerless to contest it.

More bad news: https://thetexan.news/texas-central-...ces-departure/

I really hope they can get through this but it’s not looking good. Texas could do very well shifting away from the predominant car culture and I think this line would be very successful. As much as Texas likes to claim a superiority over California there would’ve been some substance to that if they could’ve completed this before California’s high speed rail line is finished.

Blog Entries

It was dumb for them to scoff at state or federal funding the way they did. I don't know how they expected to get billions in private funding for a project that wouldn't see profit for years if not decades if even ever.

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    It was dumb for them to scoff at state or federal funding the way they did. I don't know how they expected to get billions in private funding for a project that wouldn't see profit for years if not decades if even ever.
    Infrastructure, which HSR and trains are, should not be about direct and immediate profit but rather the greater good. There should be HSR MagLev along every single interstate in this country. We can afford it. So can Canada. Mexico not so much. That 40 billion we just handed to Ukraine should have gone to Mexico to fund a HSR network. It’s just comedy hour here with this sh!t.

Infrastructure, which HSR and trains are, should not be about direct and immediate profit but rather the greater good. There should be HSR MagLev along every single interstate in this country. We can afford it. So can Canada. Mexico not so much. That 40 billion we just handed to Ukraine should have gone to Mexico to fund a HSR network. It’s just comedy hour here with this sh!t.
    Wasn't ask that built years ago? Costs have skyrocketed since those countries built those trains. The US hitched its wagon to the car. It's too late in the game to change, or even try to afford to change.

Not looking good for this project:

People in the path of a proposed but floundering high-speed rail line between Houston and Dallas last week filed a letter that in many ways labels Texas Central Railroad the little engine that will never be.

They think it can’t. They think it can’t. They think it can’t.

“Granted, Texas Central appears to be doing things,” attorney Patrick McShan said in the letter sent to the company on Sept. 29. “But none of the things Texas Central is now doing suggest in any manner whatsoever that it does, in fact, intend to construct the project.”

The planned rail line, once touted as mere months from construction, now is more paperwork than planning. Since its former CEO left in June, the company has said it is securing financing, but shown little other signs of life, beyond a July 8 statement after the Texas Supreme Court affirmed its right to use eminent domain to acquire property.

BIG BET ON BUSES: Next step to better transit is predicting where people want to go

“Texas Central has made significant strides in the project over the last several years and we are moving forward on a path that we believe will ensure the project’s successful development,” the company said then. “We look forward to being able to say more about this at an appropriate time in the near future.”

The company did not respond to a request for comment on Friday.

Citing various examples, McShan's letter said it appears Texas Central is operating as a shell of a corporation, paying property taxes it owed in eight of the 11 counties where it owns property, but still owing HOA dues for numerous locations and property taxes in Ellis County. It reportedly, McShan said, has lost investment from Japan once considered necessary for the project, and has sold some of the properties it acquired during six years of planning and design.

The company never has applied for any construction permits related to construction of the line, though it has certain federal clearances.

TROUBLE ON THE LINE: Bullet train sparks fight as old as Texas

“We believe Texas Central has not filed, nor will it ever file, an application for a construction permit for two reasons,” McShan wrote. “One, Texas Central does not want to make these required financial disclosures; and two, it knows that if it did make these disclosures its application would be summarily denied.”

The address listed for its Dallas office, meanwhile, cannot exist, McShan wrote, and its Houston space is for lease.

On Texas Central’s website, the company lists a suite at 1400 Botham Jean Boulevard as its address. That address, however, is the Dallas Police Department headquarters. Police spokesman Cpl. Brian Martinez said Friday no space in the building is available for lease and there are no other offices on the premises.

Across the street at 1409 Botham Jean is a building topped with apartments, but with some office and commercial space. Prior to the decision to rename the street, Texas Central maintained an office at 1409 South Lamar – now Botham Jean Boulevard.

Wherever Texas Central exists, McShan urged the company to own up to its dimming prospects. If it does not, he said, lawyers will consider a Rule 202 petition, which asks a court to order a deposition so Texas Central will have to answer whether it is still viable. The Rule 202 hearing could be the first step "to investigate potential claims against Texas Central."

"The record upon which the Texas Supreme Court recently granted Texas Central eminent domain authority was restricted to August 2018," McShan wrote. "Four years have passed, and in those four years new facts have developed, many of which are set forth in this letter. These new facts demonstrate that Texas Central no longer has any intention of constructing the project."

It is not the first time Texas Central and its opponents have sparred over reality in court. Previous arguments over Texas Central's right to condemn land focused on whether a company that owns no railroad tracks or trains can be called a railroad.

ON THE ROAD AGAIN: $27B backlog in rural projects could pose risk to drivers, Texas economy, report finds

Whatever the status or viability of the project, landowners concerned about it remain on edge. Texas Central’s insistence, valid or not, that it still is on track for construction leaves residents and landowners in limbo, they said.

“We have 320 acres in Harris County, and if we want to sell any of it we would have to disclose the train routes,” said Christie Parker, one of more than three dozen landowners active with Texans Against High Speed Rail, a group formed to oppose the project.

Near Hockley, just outside the Grand Parkway in northwest Harris County, the train’s route has scuttled development deals, she said, simply because buyers are skittish to risk condemnation and landowners do not want to build on land that could be seized.

For others, whose homes could be affected or demolished, it is even more nerve-wracking.

“They can never have a full night's sleep because it is all hanging over their head,” Parker said.

Stressing she was speaking only for herself, Parker said what she would like is some assurance from Texas Central that acknowledges it lacks funding at this time and construction is not imminent.

“I think it would be an honest assessment of their situation and that is what they owe the public,” Parker said, acknowledging the company still may want to retain some glimmer of potential.

It should not, however, be allowed to maintain that glimmer at the expense of people.

“I think the question to them is how long are we in a holding pattern for them to find funding, if they can find funding,” Parker said.
    - https://www.houstonchronicle.com/new...f-17478111.php

It's dead. Will stay dead.

Quote Originally Posted by gopokes88 View Post
    It's dead. Will stay dead.
    Unfortunately I think you’re right but I really hope you aren’t. I really think with the proper amount of park and ride lots this would be a widely successful line. Bummer we won’t get to see it.

Thread Information