Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: January and February 2020 - General Weather Discussion

1. Default Re: January and February 2020 - General Weather Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    How is Ian wrong though? Meteorology in Oklahoma is a joke now. They live from hyping up sh!t that doesn’t happen: maybe it’ll snow tonight. We’ll see. Weather stations in OKC are worse than LA.
    I think it's a matter of the TV folks either aren't meteorologists and are just "weatherpeople" or aren't good enough to present anything off the models. They don't stick their necks out to interpret the real weather but promote - unfortunately hyping is part of promoting.

Denver TV stations all have seasoned, long-time meteorologists who know the local nuances. Even here, though, they find it very hard to accurately present snowfall. It cam vary so much if you happen to get under a heavier spot or not.

Default Re: January and February 2020 - General Weather Discussion

I don’t really follow the local weather people, but from what I have seen on social media and here, some got caught up in weather model wishcasting.

Like another poster in this thread said, just follow the official NWS information. They update constantly and will have no fluff.

It snowed around an inch in Stillwater Saturday morning as pictured. Things started out before dawn as a glaze of ice followed by a layer of snow made easier to drive on. It later turned to slush, which as of shortly after noon had mostly evaporated off. It snowed more in counties to the north.

As was done last year the head of Stillwater Emergency Management, Ron Hill, made an hour and a half plus live Facebook video tour of the the major streets of stillwater starting out when the icing of Highway 177 south of town began. A couple of interesting points: 24:00- A stop at Stillwater Regional Airport to see the new spray equipment to deice the runway. The flight to Dallas-Ft. Worth was made good to go. 1:09 - recap and drive through Hall of Fame Ave. on OSU's north side.

https://www.facebook.com/StwSema/vid...9017102830615/

At least the TV weather people were right in that the heaviest rain would be in southeast Oklahoma.

5. Default Re: January and February 2020 - General Weather Discussion

How is Ian wrong though? Meteorology in Oklahoma is a joke now. They live from hyping up sh!t that doesn’t happen: maybe it’ll snow tonight. We’ll see. Weather stations in OKC are worse than LA.
    With respect, if you live in LA, how would you even begin to know if OKC meteology (or do you mean TV weather casters) is a joke or not? If you watch this thread, the same poster comes this thread to lambast to forcast unless it's hit spot-on. This has gone on for at least a year. He doesn't seem to post any other time and only complains. People just get tired with him for his negativity.

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    With respect, if you live in LA, how would you even begin to know if OKC meteology (or do you mean TV weather casters) is a joke or not? If you watch this thread, the same poster comes this thread to lambast to forcast unless it's hit spot-on. This has gone on for at least a year. He doesn't seem to post any other time and only complains. People just get tired with him for his negativity.
    Fair point but remember I grew up in Oklahoma and im here watching weather so I’m speaking from my personal experience. Anyways I made my point and don’t want to derail this thread any further. This is just something that annoys me. The weather casters just seem to hype stuff up for views and ratings.

I am not familiar with Ian as a rarely check this thread unless I’m here looking for weather information.

Can we actually just talk weather on this page and go to the media page to talk smack on TV meteorologists?

8. Default Re: January and February 2020 - General Weather Discussion

It was pretty desperate at my house Saturday.... I had to resort to scribbling messages on my back porch to survive.

.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0703.JPG 
Views:	73 
Size:	3.57 MB 
ID:	15754

Return to milder weather this week. Chance of some light rain Thursday into Friday.

Quote Originally Posted by LakeEffect View Post
    Can we actually just talk weather on this page and go to the media page to talk smack on TV meteorologists?
    Agreed. Not sure why the "frequent" visitors of this thread care so much. I'm sure the TV meteorologist will hit a low point then there will be another major tornado and we will repeat this cycle all over again. Having storm chasers and helicopters give you a huge advantage for reporting events that actually verify.

Yes, let's please stick to discussing the weather.

There are other thread for media personalities.

Fair point but remember I grew up in Oklahoma and im here watching weather so I’m speaking from my personal experience. Anyways I made my point and don’t want to derail this thread any further. This is just something that annoys me. The weather casters just seem to hype stuff up for views and ratings.

I am not familiar with Ian as a rarely check this thread unless I’m here looking for weather information.
    You are not wrong. But weather in these parts are impossible to predict and it's been that way forever. But these News stations will def. do their fair share of hyping.

I am ready for a decent snow. Doesn't seem like we have had one since about 2009.

This is my 4th winter since moving back and we haven't had more than a dusting that entire time.

Seems like before I left in 1989, we had at least 2 good snowfalls every season.

I don't miss the snow, but the pattern has certainly changed.

I had wondered about that. I rather enjoy blizzards or inclement weather in general so I’m out of the norm when it comes to that. I am surprised there hasn’t been a significant snow event like 2009 for over 10 years now.

I have family in Wisconsin and they said they don't get the snowfall that they used to.

They still get it of course, but their pattern has changed as well.

Has it been warmer up there or just not as much snow?

Has it been warmer up there or just not as much snow?
    Both.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Both.
    It seems have been a bit cooler in the winter in LA but warmer in the summer. The snowpack in sierras has been historic the past years but I wonder how long that will last.

I could be crazy but it seems like warmer months are lasting later in the year and March, April, may, have been cooler almost like the seasons are shifting.

2009 Christmas Eve blizzard was an insanely rare scenario for the southern plains. The low was a tightly closed-circulation. Here is an image of the radar as the storm began to come across OK. Notice the stream of rain and moisture coming up from the south feeding directly into the main circulation. This almost never happens because dry air usually slots itself between the rain shield to the east, and the winter precipitation is forced to come from the low's deformation zone on the wrap-around side.

The only way I ever see a storm like this occurring again is if it takes a very similar path from southern NM into SW TX - and then the low remains closed off. Both two scenarios that are very unlikely in this part of the nation.

Wow that is very interesting. Thank you posting that.

OKC snow 2010 to 2018, starting with 18 and working backwards:

8.2 (15)
    12.1 (14)
    9.3 (10)

Quote Originally Posted by OKC Guy View Post
    OKC snow 2010 to 2018, starting with 18 and working backwards:

8.2 (15)
    12.1 (14)
    9.3 (10)
    Looks like we might be do for a decent snow storm. I was thinking the 09 blizzard was like 16-18 inches and a record amount or close to it..

Quote Originally Posted by OKCRT View Post
    Looks like we might be do for a decent snow storm. I was thinking the 09 blizzard was like 16-18 inches and a record amount or close to it..
    I think it was a record for 1 event or for that day?

The above data is yearly totals too

Really have to measure seasonal snowfall from July through June to get the best sense of what a particular winter was actually like.

Here's the snowfall at Will Rogers for the last 10 winters:

2009-10: 23.2"
    2010-11: 19.6"
    2011-12: 1.8"
    2012-13: 7.7"
    2013-14: 10.2"
    2014-15: 13.6"
    2015-16: 1.2"
    2016-17: 2.1"
    2017-18: 0.4"
    2018-19: 5.8"

For context, the average snowfall in OKC is 7.6" per winter.

Anecdotally speaking...I have lived in Michigan for most of my life, but I was in Norman for the February 1st, 2011 blizzard and that is the most impressive winter storm I have ever experienced. It's very rare, but the OKC area can certainly get some notable snow events.

Thread Information