Widgets Magazine

Thread: Collective vs The Parlor

Default Collective vs The Parlor

Have friends coming tomorrow want to go out to eat before thunder game. A group of only 6 but we all might want something different. I have been to the Parlor once and had the chicken sandwich at Mother Clucker which was outstanding.

I'm sure this topic has been talked about on here before but I haven't really seen a head to head comparison. In your opinion and i know everyone has different taste but Which place is better? Cheaper? Atmosphere? Let me hear it. The good the bad the ugly.

We are taking the street car so I have to probably give the edge to the collective for that.

Default Re: Collective vs The Parlor

The Parlor isn't too far from the Automobile Alley streetcar stop.

I think the Parlor has a better, funner atmosphere, but they're both good on food options.

I've been to the Collective twice (Shaka, BBQ and the local restaurant (I think called Local?), both times to eat and have been to the Parlor 4-5 times (Detroit-style pizza, empanadas upstairs and the bibimpap downstairs). Overall, I prefer the Parlor to the Collective based on the layout, food options, ease of which to get a drink and to get a seat. You'll be close to both, so could possibly hit both if you have the time.

I haven't used the streetcar much, but I believe there is a stop near Red Prime (and maybe another one further north on Broadway?) which would be a short walk.

4. Default Re: Collective vs The Parlor

Parlor: Two bars and more seating.
    Collective: Better selection and food.

I prefer the Parlor’s food and setup personally.

Blog Entries

I generally prefer Parlor but I will say that it is MUCH louder crowd/music/general noise wise than Collective. They're both almost exactly equidistant for me ~2400-2500 ft, so it's pretty awesome to suddenly have a dozen new places that close.

I prefer food at the collective, but the layout/bar of parlor

Blog Entries

I'm having a bit of a problem resisting the loaded mac and cheese at the BBQ place at Collective....

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    I'm having a bit of a problem resisting the loaded mac and cheese at the BBQ place at Collective....
    Yeah my girlfriend and I got that in addition to chicken from Shaka and two fried tacos the first week they opened. After seeing that loaded mac we realized we could have split that and been stuffed.

Blog Entries

I've yet to be able to finish a bowl in one sitting.

They're about the same in my opinion. There is a streetcar stop close-ish to Parlor but the one at the Collective is closer and will have less stops between you and the arena. Assuming you don't stuff yourself, another plus for the Collective is it's proximity to Capitals Ice Cream which I find fantastic and definitely a cool spot for out of towners if you've got a hankering for sweets. Can definitely split an order between two people - they are deceptively large portions imo.

I like the food at both, but I prefer The Parlor's two bars and vibe.

Has Parlor gotten rid of that selfie station yet? It's been awhile since I've been there.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Vu View Post
    Has Parlor gotten rid of that selfie station yet? It's been awhile since I've been there.
    i believe they did. Didn’t notice it the last time I got my Sushi on at Pachinko Kommissar.

Well my party liked the Collective. Have been to both (grant it once each) I personally like the food choices at the collective better but that is going to be based on what you like to eat. I do think it was a little on the pricey side. Brisket Sandwich, mac n Cheese and a drink plus small tip for $17 was bit pricey for what you got. Friend got a waffle with strawberry and banana and it was over $10. So a tad pricey at least to me.

As far as layout goes Parlor might be a little better. There were two kitchen at the collective that just seemed out of place. Doughnut shop and can't think of the other name off the top of my head but they are tucked away in the back kind of .

Can't really recommend one over the other just depends on what food you and your party might like.

Blog Entries

okie pokie is the other tucked away one

We finally made it to Parlor last night and everything was great. The layout and everything was really well done. We got things from Motherclucker, Graffiti and El Guate to sample multiple things. Everything was good from all, we will definitely go back and try the other places. Still yet to make it to the Collective but definitely impressed with Parlor.

I previously said this in another thread:

The Parlor = The Northeast (Boston/DC/Philly/NYC)

The Collective = Southern California

Glad we have both and though I haven't been to either in a while, it sounds like both are doing great.

I personally like the food a little better at the Parlor but I have heard people say they like the Collective's food more, so on that front, I suppose it just depends on what style of food you like.

I do like the vibe and layout a bit more at the Parlor though.

Thread Information