Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Bar K

Blog Entries

Default Re: Bar K

Very interested to see the terms on this deal; what the city is paying for and getting in return.

I have a pretty healthy skepticism regarding anything coming from the Boathouse Foundation, both financially and how the Oklahoman functions as their PR arm without even mentioning the foundation has been losing millions, despite more and more civic investment.

Having said that, looks like a cool concept.

THE STORY
    Bar K is a facility built to foster community for dogs and dog lovers alike. Located in Berkley Riverfront Park, a strip of land along the Missouri River undergoing a renaissance of residential development, Bar-K is a destination for Kansas City’s newest residents and their furry companions. Taking advantage of “found” space under the Heart of America Bridge, Bar-K breathes new life into a derelict site by providing the ultimate backyard experience. The expansive park is complete with a restaurant, bar, coffee shop, beer garden, live entertainment, rooftop patio and 2-acre dog park. Referencing the industrial nature of the surrounding site (bordered by road, river and rail) this project is fabricated from an industrial building block – the shipping container. By creatively stacking 14 recycled high cube containers, the result carefully balances its raw industrial appearance with its welcoming and playful interior experience. The stacked containers create a unique double height food hall with lots of natural daylight, connecting to a beer garden, 2nd floor container lounge and open-air roof deck that provides great views to the surrounding dog park and to the skyline beyond.

Blog Entries

A profitable revenue stream for the BHF such as alcohol seems like a good thing to stave off future funding shortfalls. I hope it works.

Maybe we can get a pooch friendly Great Clips down on the river now!

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    A profitable revenue stream for the BHF such as alcohol seems like a good thing to stave off future funding shortfalls. I hope it works.
    As I said, I want to see the terms of the deal. Everything we do down there has been costing the city over and over.

They’ve been looking at the OKC market for over a year. We love the concept when we go to KC to visit our in-laws with our dogs. Certainly thought this might go to a Chisholm Creek. Interested to see more about this deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    As I said, I want to see the terms of the deal. Everything we do down there has been costing the city over and over.
    This is the first private deal in the District and must be approved by City Council, so color me optimistic. If successful, it could lead to more private development and more overall traffic, which is a good thing for all of the venues down there.

^

After the river was built, almost every amenity down there was privately funded. The Whitewater facility is an exception.

Are we giving the land away or offering a big discount? Will there be TIF funds or other tax dollars used? We'll find out eventually as any arrangement will have to be approved by public bodies (the boathouse foundation does not operate openly) since the property is owned by the city.

Press release:

Bar K extends paw-print with new location in Oklahoma City
    Award-winning dog-friendly business selects the Boathouse District for its next location

OKLAHOMA CITY – (Dec. 17, 2019) – Bar K – an innovative, dog- and people-friendly concept that is part dog park, bar, restaurant and event space – will open a new location in Oklahoma City’s Boathouse District on the banks of the Oklahoma River. Pending approval by the City Council and other local authorities, construction of the new 2-acre facility is expected to begin shortly and is slated to by late 2020 or early 2021.

Bar K opened its first location in Kansas City, Missouri, in August 2018 and already has hosted more than 200,000 humans and 150,000 dogs at its 2-acre riverfront facility. Bar K offers a healthy casual menu of tasty, affordable food, gourmet coffee, juices and smoothies and a wide variety of locally brewed beers and craft cocktails. Surrounding the bar and restaurant is a thoughtfully designed, fully staffed, 2-acre off-leash dog park, with one-of-a-kind play structures and comfortable seating areas. Bar K offers its dog-friendly services on a daily-fee basis or as part of an annual membership. Humans without dogs are always welcome to visit for free.

“We scouted a lot of markets and properties for our next Bar K location, and as soon as we visited the Boathouse District, we knew we had to be here,” said Leib Dodell, founding partner of Bar K. “Our unique dog-friendly atmosphere will be the perfect addition to this part of the city, and we can’t think of a better place to spend a day with your dog.

“Securing this location wouldn’t have been possible without the support of the Boathouse District and local leaders,” Dodell added. “We can’t thank them enough for supporting our vision of bringing Bar K to Oklahoma City.”

The new facility will operate seven days a week and feature indoor and outdoor dog parks, a full-service restaurant and bar, as well as private event spaces. Bar K’s staff of Dogtenders keep a watchful eye on canine guests to ensure a safe and joyful experience; their humans can hang out with the pups in the park or explore Bar K’s people-focused amenities.

“There’s nothing quite like Bar K – you have to see it to believe it,” said Mike Knopp, executive director of the OKC Boathouse Foundation. “The pet- and people-friendly concept will be a perfect complement to the existing amenities in the District. Athletes, families and visitors to the city will have the opportunity to include their dogs as part of a full day of fun in the Boathouse District.”

“I’d like to be the first person to officially welcome Bar K to Oklahoma City,” said Mayor David Holt. “Investing in the Oklahoma Riverfront through important local programs such as the Metropolitan Area Projects Plan (MAPS) has allowed us to attract exciting and unique concepts like Bar K which benefits the people — and in this case the pets — of Oklahoma City. It’s an exciting time in our city, and I’m thrilled Bar K will be part of our landscape.”

In 2019, Bar K was named America’s Coolest Pet Business by Pets + Magazine. The contest highlights the best examples of independent pet businesses throughout the United States. Entries are judged by a panel of retail experts based on business practices, history, online presence, traditional advertising, interior decor and curb appeal. Bar K has also won other regional and national awards for design and sustainability.

About Bar K
    Bar K is a unique new destination combining a thoughtfully designed, fully staffed dog park with a modern bar, restaurant and event space. Bar K brings engaged, community-minded people and their dogs together to share connections with their pups and each other in a joyful and creative atmosphere. The first Bar K opened in August 2018 on the riverfront in downtown Kansas City, Missouri. More locations are planned around the country. To learn more, visit barkdogbar.com.

In Oklahoma law, if a property taken by Eminent Domain is utilized for a non-public use, the property owner it was taken from has the first right of refusal. Basically, the City will have to buy out the previous owners option to buy the property back in order to sell the property. Not that it will likely make much of a difference at the end of the day. It's just interesting.

Where exactly is this supposed to go in the Boathouse District? I didn't see that info...

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    Where exactly is this supposed to go in the Boathouse District? I didn't see that info...
    Somewhere next to the Whitewater Facility.

Thanks! Well, aside from the questions about land, getting private business and activity down there is really key to the longterm success of the area. They need a lot more... hopefully some mixed use projects with some combination of hotel/residential/retail are next.

Thanks! Well, aside from the questions about land, getting private business and activity down there is really key to the longterm success of the area. They need a lot more... hopefully some mixed use projects with some combination of hotel/residential/retail are next.
    Do you think the city should be providing heavy subsidies for such businesses while other direct competitors have built nearby without the same sort of free money?

At what point do we let the billions in public money already spent on these areas generate the private investment we were told they would bring?

How would you feel if you owned Social Capital and just spent a fortune and took a big risk to open up in Core to Shore, then the city gave a competitor a ton of money? (And I've been told there are city incentives involved) Or if you were a private developer with a project that had interest from a business who instead went to a city-owned parcel due to the government-provided incentives (I've been told this as well).

I wasn't commenting on the city's role in subsidizing/incentivizing private business, which is why I said "aside from the land." That was my attempt to acknowledge your concern that you'd already brought up. Yes, I share all your concerns.

I wasn't commenting on the city's role in subsidizing/incentivizing private business, which is why I said "aside from the land." That was my attempt to acknowledge your concern that you'd already brought up. Yes, I share all your concerns.
    But it's probably not just land. There is TIF and all other types of things that are likely to be included.

But it's probably not just land. There is TIF and all other types of things that are likely to be included.
    I apologize. I officially amend my post to read "aside from land, TIFs, and all other types of things that are likely to be included." Again, my post was not even about this issue. I was simply conveying that the Boathouse District has long needed activity to succeed. I agree with all your concerns about the city's role.

The Boathouse District is the city. And at what point do we stop throwing tax dollars at this district when at every turn, they just keeping losing more money?

Quote Originally Posted by T. Jamison View Post
    In Oklahoma law, if a property taken by Eminent Domain is utilized for a non-public use, the property owner it was taken from has the first right of refusal. Basically, the City will have to buy out the previous owners option to buy the property back in order to sell the property. Not that it will likely make much of a difference at the end of the day. It's just interesting.
    This is not entirely true

Blog Entries

The Boathouse District is the city. And at what point do we stop throwing tax dollars at this district when at every turn, they just keeping losing more money?
    I agree, when somebody like Social Capital does this as a capitalist, bowered business, and they succeed or fail on their choices, service, product, okay, but when someone knows how to shake the tree, or grease the palms with the TIF money, then let’s know why. And how will that benefit boathouse row, and for how much? I’d rather see better health care!

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    It depends, often, this is the case.

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    You're right. I was too definitive about the City having to buy out the right of first refusal. There are a handful of ways it could be handled. They could just refuse to buy it and move on down the road. I was just thinking "worst case scenario", someone wants to be a stick in the mud.

Took me a minute but finally picked up on the name Bar K....Bark as in dog bark. I need more coffee in the morning apparently.

My opinions on the city's role in this aside...

Booze + dogs, huh? This all sounds fun, but it doesn't take much of an imagination to see where things could go wrong. There are plenty of bad pet owners out there.

Thread Information