Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Bar K

Default Re: Bar K

A ton of people on my social media have been sharing this. The hype is real.

I do think they will need more shade structure items. That is a very large footprint of bartop etc. This will be successful if they accommodate all weather condition (Heaters, Shade, Misters).

2. Default Re: Bar K

Reading the Kansas City reviews it looks like they have staff that make sure the dogs are not being aggressive and things like that. I think that makes it a much better space and idea. I originally thought it was more of a bring your dog place and eat but seems to be much more structured. $10 per dog isn't too bad to let them run around.

Quote Originally Posted by TheirTheir View Post
    My opinions on the city's role in this aside...

Booze + dogs, huh? This all sounds fun, but it doesn't take much of an imagination to see where things could go wrong. There are plenty of bad pet owners out there.
    You should check out any brewery

Quote Originally Posted by Colbafone View Post
    Maybe we can get a pooch friendly Great Clips down on the river now!
    Sounds like there’s an agenda with this. No one else has ever as butt hurt over something as you are with great clips in NH.

Quote Originally Posted by OkiePoke View Post
    You should check out any brewery
    I'd check one out that has an attached dog park to it, otherwise it would be a waste of my time as that is not at all the same as Bar K.

6. Default Re: Bar K

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    A ton of people on my social media have been sharing this. The hype is real. I do think they will need more shade structure items. That is a very large footprint of bartop etc. This will be successful if they accommodate all weather condition (Heaters, Shade, Misters).
    I think shade is illegal in that district

Quote Originally Posted by zefferoni View Post
    I think shade is illegal in that district
    Correct. No shade or trees allowed, all buildings must be triangles and sidewalks must be located in nonsensical places.

Talking about comparisons to social capital-

Kinda like the new deal at the arena.

9. Default Re: Bar K

I'm not a dog person, so someone help me out. Is the appeal of this dog owners hanging out together, or owners' dogs hanging out together?

Blog Entries

I'm not a dog owner but I've noticed other dog owners stressing out about being out because they need to let their dog out. Probably not the full issue, but I'm sure it helps not having to worry about being out because your dog can be with you...

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    I'm not a dog owner but I've noticed other dog owners stressing out about being out because they need to let their dog out. Probably not the full issue, but I'm sure it helps not having to worry about being out because your dog can be with you...
    Haha... As a dog owner/lover my whole life is "I've gotta get home". And that's with a big backyard.

Always something; need to be fed, weather is bad, you've left them alone all day, etc.

Plus dogs are like kids. Really makes it easier to socialize.

Quote Originally Posted by Timtoomany View Post
    I'm not a dog person, so someone help me out. Is the appeal of this dog owners hanging out together, or owners' dogs hanging out together?
    For many people dogs are their family. So whether it be guilt, love or logistics, taking your dog on a social outing is appealing to many.

They are getting $750K in TIF money.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    They are getting $750K in TIF money.
    Not a fan of that. As mentioned above, its kind of a slap in the face to people like Social Capital who took a risk with no help. Also, I feel like the lack of financial success from the boathouse activities probably led to throwing more money at the district. If the city is giving this money, hopefully it will at least help with everything down there and the maybe get things to break even.

But maybe the worst part of it is this, having to pay $10 to bring your dog there. Or $225 for a membership.

Dog owners are able to join as members, paying $225 for the first dog and $25 for each additional dog, or visit as a guest for $10 for the first dog and $5 for each additional dog. The fee helps with maintenance of the park but also allows Bar K to make sure visiting pets are vaccinated and can be matched with their owners quickly.
    There is no entrance fee to visit the facility’s restaurant and bar, which is open to the public.

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    Not a fan of that. As mentioned above, its kind of a slap in the face to people like Social Capital who took a risk with no help. Also, I feel like the lack of financial success from the boathouse activities probably led to throwing more money at the district. If the city is giving this money, hopefully it will at least help with everything down there and the maybe get things to break even.

But maybe the worst part of it is this, having to pay $10 to bring your dog there. Or $225 for a membership.

Dog owners are able to join as members, paying $225 for the first dog and $25 for each additional dog, or visit as a guest for $10 for the first dog and $5 for each additional dog. The fee helps with maintenance of the park but also allows Bar K to make sure visiting pets are vaccinated and can be matched with their owners quickly.
    There is no entrance fee to visit the facility’s restaurant and bar, which is open to the public.
    Is there one of these in Dallas? I've been to a dog park/bar where I had to pay a friggin cover charge for my pup.
    That being said it was a cool concept- seemed like a place to see and be seen and was nice being able to let him run around free instead of having his leash tied to a table leg.

Quote Originally Posted by BridgeBurner View Post
    Is there one of these in Dallas? I've been to a dog park/bar where I had to pay a friggin cover charge for my pup.
    That being said it was a cool concept- seemed like a place to see and be seen and was nice being able to let him run around free instead of having his leash tied to a table leg.
    There is something very similar, called MUTTS in Dallas that you are probably referring to. I think the only other location is KC and it doespretty well.

But it's probably not just land. There is TIF and all other types of things that are likely to be included.
    Yeah, granting TIF status to a new construction bar development is stretching it about as far as you can, imo.

I don't really know the ins and outs of how these things come to be in the city, but it seems that requests for TIF designation are almost always associated with a project / development that is adjacent to or very near a completed publicly funded improvement project, usually a MAPS one, and that seems, to me anyway, about as backwards as it can be.

Honestly, the Bar K concept seems like a great one and I imagine it will be very successful ( I would probably be asking my dog owning friends if I could take their pup out for a trip to Bar K). One of the things, probably the biggest thing, that will make it successful is the location. And THE reason it's a desirable location for this concept is entirely because of public investment. The river wasn't even a riverfront, at least not one that included water, until MAPS money filled it back up with water. That's what makes this a potentially good project in the first place.

And so, why, in theory, did we vote to spend all that money to create locks to fill up the river? Hopefully, it was mostly about improving civic life in our home town, but also, a big selling point for many was that it would make the city and, more specifically this area, attractive to private development. That's where the ROI logic kicks in. That is, public investment in infrastructure improvements will generate a multiplicative return in public revenue. I know 'tax' can be a dirty word around these parts, but the direct return on investment in this equation comes in the way of taxes, specifically sales and ad valorem taxes.

The justification of TIF incentives, in general, is to kick the increase in ad valorem taxes down the road, as far as I understand it, to help mitigate the risk of private investment in a development located in a neglected part of the community ( please correct me, if I'm wrong. ), one that the collective community feels needs the boost. Its intent is to basically bridge the gap that can exist between civic intentions and market conditions.

So, really, why do they need more incentives? We already spent millions in public money making the location attractive to their concept. If this actually worked the way it was supposed to, they should actually be paying the city a premium for the location, right?.

I don't fundamentally disagree with the concept of TIF, but we really seem to be doing it wrong, from a civic economic stand point.

A TIF strategy makes sense on its own. MAPS strategy makes sense on its own. But I don't get the 'MAPS then TIF' strategy that we seem to be doing now. And giving TIF to a bar in a MAPS improved district is about the best example I can think of to illustrate my confusion.

Quote Originally Posted by BridgeBurner View Post
    FYI, The PAW Park near Lake Hefner (the only large dog park in OKC) started charging $10/month or $110/year back in July of 2019. Will be interesting to see how this place affects them.

Quote Originally Posted by AusKlos View Post
    FYI, The PAW Park near Lake Hefner (the only large dog park in OKC) started charging $10/month or $110/year back in July of 2019. Will be interesting to see how this place affects them.
    They're 11 miles apart. Both are dog-friendly, but only one offers food & drinks. Don't think Bar-K will affect the PAW Park.

I haven't seen any movement on this (no permits of any kind have been filed) and not sure if it's still going to happen:

I haven't seen any movement on this (no permits of any kind have been filed) and not sure if it's still going to happen:

Is Covid going to cancel plans for this?

Dang, that would be a huge bummer

Quote Originally Posted by willemark01 View Post
    Is Covid going to cancel plans for this?
    There has been no movement that I have seen.

No design applications, no permits of any kind.

So where does it stand exactly, they have purchased the property and been given TIF funds but no movement on their end?

Thread Information