Widgets Magazine

Thread: 15th & Kelly Conoco

Edmond 15th & Kelly Conoco

It was pointed out to me today that the Conoco at 15th & Kelly suddenly shut down. I say suddenly because we drive by there frequently and by all accounts, it's been open until the last couple of days. Anyone know what's going on there?

I had heard rumors that OnCue was looking at the NW corner of 15th and Santa Fe, but that seems like speculation right now and not enough to shut down a place.

Default Re: 15th & Kelly Conoco

If OnCue did get onto the 15th and Santa Fe corner, then the Shell station which has been there forever would need to close.

It's been owned by the same group since 1995.

It's a Circle K and about a dozen similar locations have closed over the last year.

OnCue does not currently own any property at that intersection.

Quote Originally Posted by jbkrems View Post
    If OnCue did get onto the 15th and Santa Fe corner, then the Shell station which has been there forever would need to close.
    Yep, my understanding is that OnCue was looking at the shell station property (good riddance) as well as the strip mall to the North.

OnCue needs to go further north; like Covell and Kelly.

Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
    OnCue needs to go further north; like Covell and Kelly.
    I would imagine they will go out there eventually. Not much of anything out that way as far as gas stations. Personally, although i'd be a bit surprised for 15th and santa fe, considering the location at 33rd and kelly, i would not be opposed. That Shell doesn't ever appear to be used - always has super high prices and looks pretty trashy. (For that matter, I wish the McDonalds across the street would become a standalone - I've never understood the point of a McDonalds gas station combo that wasn't on the highway).

Quote Originally Posted by hipsterdoofus View Post
    I would imagine they will go out there eventually. Not much of anything out that way as far as gas stations. Personally, although i'd be a bit surprised for 15th and santa fe, considering the location at 33rd and kelly, i would not be opposed. That Shell doesn't ever appear to be used - always has super high prices and looks pretty trashy. (For that matter, I wish the McDonalds across the street would become a standalone - I've never understood the point of a McDonalds gas station combo that wasn't on the highway).
    Plus, with the high school, and the Crest right there, an On Cue would do very well.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    Plus, with the high school, and the Crest right there, an On Cue would do very well.
    True, of course that's what I thought about Starbucks and they still shut down.

Given the success of OnCue and the market share they seem to be winning away from smaller and older C-Stores, it will be interesting to see what is left in a few years with the numerous closings of older stores that are located within a mile radius of On-Cue.

Three empty C-Stores are near the Oncue at 33rd and Kelly (Shell across the street, Conoco at 15th Santa Fe, Circle K at 15th and Broadway)

OnCue recently opened a large store at 164th and Portland (HWY 74) and there is an older Conoco just up the road at 178th and Shell station at 192nd. If you passed all three on your commute into the core of OKC, where would you stop?

The same could be said for the OnCue that is going up in far West Edmond/NW OKC at 178th and Western, there is a much smaller 7-11 a mile south at 164th and Western and a Conoco Circle K at 178th/Edmond Road and Santa Fe.

I expect a fairly quick casualty with the small C-Store just south of May & 178th. They serve pizza & other hot foods, and I think a lot of construction traffic grabbing breakfast and lunch may have kept them going. But with the Portland On-Cue having a full kitchen and sitting area, I wouldn’t be surprised if that is going to draw a lot of traffic away from them.

I remember going to Okie Express back in the 80's buying minnows and nightcrawlers on the way back Home.

Quote Originally Posted by brian72 View Post
    I remember going to Okie Express back in the 80's buying minnows and nightcrawlers on the way back Home.
    Ha same! That was the one place nearby you could get bait!

Thread Information