Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Downtown 26 Story Residential Tower + Hotel and Grocery Proposal Takes Step Forward

Default Downtown 26 Story Residential Tower + Hotel and Grocery Proposal Takes Step Forward

The Tulsa Performing Arts Center Trust owns the parking lot next to the PAC. This proposal has been floating out there for a long time but apparently it's still live and is moving forward if certain government incentives can be secured.

Based on the renderings, the tower appears to be 22 stories of living on a 4-story parking podium. There's also the hotel on the north side of the block and grocery on south side.

http://flco.com/company-properties/the-annex/

https://www.tulsaworld.com/news/loca...fabd2c10e.html

This would be a major missing piece tying together the central business district and the Blue Dome. Fingers crossed ...

Default Re: Downtown 26 Story Residential Tower + Hotel and Grocery Proposal Takes Step Forwa

Man I hope that gets built! Good luck to you folks in Tulsa!

Default Re: Downtown 26 Story Residential Tower + Hotel and Grocery Proposal Takes Step Forwa

This is the only I'm really holding out hope for. Even more than the Santa Fe square deal that has also been in limbo for years. Watching the Davenport and WPX start to rise has been so cool. Would love to see another true tower come to Tulsa again. Heck, I might even be interested in a space.

Blog Entries

Flaherty & Collins has completed the purchase of the site from the PAC trust. The Tulsa World reports that the project remains pretty much the same as previously reported with a 240 unit apartment tower with 10,000 sq ft of retail space including a grocery store and a 450 space parking garage.

No announced construction date yet.

https://tulsaworld.com/news/local/pa...=home-breaking

The TW article says late 2022 construction start. This and Santa Fe Square rising at the same time will really transform the Blue Dome district

No longer a 26 story tower, looks like 10 stories for the apartments and 6 stories for the hotel. The grocery store is the biggest game changer for attracting more residential downtown. It looks like it has underground parking too.

I know the “it’s better than what’s there now” mindset is prevalent in both cities and I’m happy for development that takes surface parking away, but going from a 26 story tower to an nondescript apartment building is heartbreaking and hilarious.

Edit: I understand tall buildings don’t necessarily create lively, liveable cities and all that jazz. Its just jarring to see the before and after renderings.

Blog Entries

A 26 story tower would have been a great boost to the already impressive Tulsa skyline.

Just want to mention some recent additions, on going projects & future project planned for Tulsa:

St. Francis Health plans $250m South campus expansion: https://www.hospitalmanagement.net/n...south-expands/

St. Francis Hospital Trauma Emergency Center Renovation and Expansion: https://manhattanconstructiongroup.c...ion-expansion/

Oklahoma State University Health Science Center, Tulsa: https://schoolconstructionnews.com/2...nces-building/

New VA Hospital under construction in downtown Tulsa: https://ktul.com/news/local/funding-...sa-va-hospital

There are a number of projects planned for Tulsa comparable to those we see on the OKCTalk.com site. Again, Kudos to Oklahoma's two largest MSAs. They account for the majority of new, renovation and planned projects for Oklahoma.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake View Post
    I know the “it’s better than what’s there now” mindset is prevalent in both cities and I’m happy for development that takes surface parking away, but going from a 26 story tower to an nondescript apartment building is heartbreaking and hilarious.

Edit: I understand tall buildings don’t necessarily create lively, liveable cities and all that jazz. Its just jarring to see the before and after renderings.
    Sign of the times. It’s one thing to propose something and a completely different one to find and build it 6-8 years later.

I always thought the 26 story tower was a stretch. I’d much rather see those apartments and hotel rooms spread out through downtown via the continued of renovating abandoned buildings and building low to mid-rises in the ocean of parking lots around downtown. A 26 story apt complex wouldn’t be the best development. for downtown Tulsa right now.

Why would a 26 storey tower not be the best for downtown Tulsa right now?

Agree a 26 story tower would be nice but I honestly care more about infilling parking lots and creating more pedestrian activity downtown. This fills a huge hole with not only midrise housing but also a boutique hotel (Origin, a new entrant to the Oklahoma market) and a much-needed grocery store.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Why would a 26 storey tower not be the best for downtown Tulsa right now?
    Because it would be better for the health of downtown right now to spread them out by continuing to renovate old buildings into apartments/hotels and integrate them into low rise developments that are needed to start eating into the massive amount of surface parking. There isn’t enough demand right now for that and a 26 story apartment tower.

I’m not really even sure it would be the best thing for OKC either but it seems, at least, that OKC has already utilized most of its historic building stock and doesn’t have nearly as many large, contiguous empty lots in and around the CBD so something like that would make more sense there.

There are so many empty lots to develop in downtown Tulsa that I don't think height is necessary at all. Quality infill is just so important. Tulsa would probably be better off with a lot of 4-8 story developments than more towers in a general sense. While there's nothing inspiring about the apartments, the grocery store and infill on this lot are game changers. This will make downtown more desirable for the next development.

It’s a miracle the WPX (or whatever it’s called now) building ended up anywhere remotely close to its rendering.

Excited for the grocery and hotel, underwhelmed by the Staybridge Suites looking apartment complex.

Saw where they said the grocery store is going to be a tenant with "about 80 locations". That rules out Reasors; maybe a sprouts or fresh market or natural grocers?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by formerly405Tulsan View Post
    Saw where they said the grocery store is going to be a tenant with "about 80 locations". That rules out Reasors; maybe a sprouts or fresh market or natural grocers?
    It's most likely Homeland. Very meh, but it's a store.

It was an interview on the news where I heard that FYI.

There aren't any homelands within an hour of tulsa though, and they left the market 15+ years ago. I can't see them coming back for this, idk.

Quote Originally Posted by Swake View Post
    Homeland has fewer than 40 locations so, if the "about 80 locations" is correct, it's not Homeland.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by unfundedrick View Post
    Homeland has fewer than 40 locations so, if the "about 80 locations" is correct, it's not Homeland.
    Homeland owns more brands than just Homeland, parent HAC owns exactly 80 stores including locations in Sand Springs, Cleveland, Bartlesville and Muskogee.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homeland_(supermarket)

A Whole Foods would be ideal. Even better would be an HEB or Central Market. All they need to do is expand one state north for crying out loud.

If it's like the semi-urban Homeland at 18th and Classen after they renovated it...it will be on par with Reasors and an extremely nice addition to downtown. I'd be all for it. Certainly beats the hell out of DGX which is the only other option downtown (though that's nothing against DGX because its actually really nice, especially given that it's a Dollar General brand).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    If it's like the semi-urban Homeland at 18th and Classen after they renovated it...it will be on par with Reasors and an extremely nice addition to downtown. I'd be all for it. Certainly beats the hell out of DGX which is the only other option downtown (though that's nothing against DGX because its actually really nice, especially given that it's a Dollar General brand).
    Years ago I lived downtown in the area today called uptown a few blocks from Tulsa's previous downtown grocery store, the 11th and Denver Homeland. We called it, correctly so, Homelessland and tried to never shop in that very nasty store if we didn't have to. Homeland has a very negative reputation in Tulsa. Deservedly so and not just from the downtown location.

I get why Reasor's dropped out of this project, the Cherry St location is very nice and just a mile and half from downtown. They would have competed with themselves in a downtown location. Homeland would do well to choose a new brand.

Homeland owns more brands than just Homeland, parent HAC owns exactly 80 stores including locations in Sand Springs, Cleveland, Bartlesville and Muskogee.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homeland_(supermarket)
    I had no idea. I stand corrected!

The new branding of Homeland Stores are really clean and modern. It will be good for this location if it ends up being Homeland.

Thread Information