Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: The Canton ( formerly Residences at Classen Curve)

1. Default Re: Residences at Classen Curve

Quote Originally Posted by Bowser214 View Post
    The Canton? What next The Binger? Who comes up with sht? The Edge? Just about pick any city in Spain and it would sound more high end then the names these developers come up with.
    It’s actually more high-end than you might think.

Canton means “Township” in French.

Default Re: Residences at Classen Curve

The Canton? What next The Binger? Who comes up with sht? The Edge? Just about pick any city in Spain and it would sound more high end then the names these developers come up with.
    Perhaps you should’ve recommended, “The Bowser”.

lol I like it! I'm guess here but people will think of Canton Lake when hearing that name. IMO.

lol I like it! I'm guess here but people will think of Canton Lake when hearing that name. IMO.
    +1. . .my first thought was "wonder what the connection to Canton/Canton Lake is?"

The Heights at Morning Woods is still available as a name.

My first thought was "Why is it named after a Chinese city/province?"

Either way, super sharp-looking building in a great part of town. They could call it the Dumpster and it would probably be leased full with a waiting list.

wow the are moving fast on those

This development is massive. Such a change from when I used to drive my daughter to Ballet Oklahoma in the mid to late 90's. I find myself getting turned around in this area lately. It is so disorienting considering I went to high school down the street in the mid 80's and thought I knew the area fairly well.

11. Default Re: Residences at Classen Curve

looks great but I will never understand why we dont build our buildings ABOVE the parking (esp downtown) as opposed to building separate large parking garages and sort of wrapping development around.

We could get more, taller development if we built above the garages.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

^

Because it's monumentally more expensive.

And land costs here are still relatively cheap compared to other cities where this practice is more common.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    ^

And land costs here are still relatively cheap compared to other cities where this practice is more common.
    That and there's so much land to buy up. OKC has too much square mileage to even consider a project like that outside of the city's core. Consider what the circumstances are for the city that require you to build like that, they are usually on an island, they usually sit on beachfront, surrounded by mountains and sharp terrain, there are plenty of buildings around to add density to an otherwise small space, and block restrictions require you to go up instead of sprawl out.

It would be nice to give the city some height, but this isn't the area that requires it. You'd be better off planning some high rises in the core, or even the NW Expressway Corridor. That place has some underrated density, could look to be a subcore to the downtown area.

14. Default Re: Residences at Classen Curve

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    ^

Would also guess that in this case the parking garage will also be serving The Ellison and other ancillary businesses there (haven't looked closely enough at site plan to know, but that's what I see when I look at that aerial.

Not that this couldn't be done if the parking was under the apartments but it would be a bit more tricky. And, like you said, WAY more expensive.

15. Default Re: Residences at Classen Curve

Quote Originally Posted by HFAA Alum View Post
    That and there's so much land to buy up. OKC has too much square mileage to even consider a project like that outside of the city's core. Consider what the circumstances are for the city that require you to build like that, they are usually on an island, they usually sit on beachfront, surrounded by mountains and sharp terrain, there are plenty of buildings around to add density to an otherwise small space, and block restrictions require you to go up instead of sprawl out.

It would be nice to give the city some height, but this isn't the area that requires it. You'd be better off planning some high rises in the core, or even the NW Expressway Corridor. That place has some underrated density, could look to be a subcore to the downtown area.

I agree with the first statement no doubt, that's why I said 'especially downtown'. ...

Just curious. could something be built on top of these garages in the future or would we have to tear down and start over? Pete you were in commercial RE, any thoughts?

While I agree that now isn't the time for above garage construction throughout the city (again, I mainly meant downtown) I think the Classen-63rd-Penn-Western area WILL eventually hit that density point where it could become a Dallas Uptown type of setting that maybe we could start to master plan for that.

Blog Entries

There is a student housing facility at OCU that is parking below and it wasn’t overly costly. Really depends on the site and usually not going more than one level deep.

Also, Grandmark in NH is parking below done effectively.

Even though land is plentiful in PKC, it may be limited at a preferred site and therefore feasible to go a level deep. This is one of those “depends” answers.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    There is a student housing facility at OCU that is parking below and it wasn’t overly costly. Really depends on the site and usually not going more than one level deep.
    Not sure how much it matters as I'm not a builder or engineer, but the old Fieldhouse that was there was below ground. When they demolished it for the dorms, it was already dug out.

19. Default Re: Residences at Classen Curve

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post

Also, Grandmark in NH is parking below done effectively.

Even though land is plentiful in PKC, it may be limited at a preferred site and therefore feasible to go a level deep. This is one of those “depends” answers.
    Thank you Rover, that was my point. Particularly downtown and parts of the inner core districts - shouldn't just keep building these monstrosities when you can get MORE parking by putting the building on top. ..

22. Default Re: The Canton ( formerly Residences at Classen Curve)

we need more of these throughout the city - particularly if the parking with retail storefronts could be under the residences

Default Re: The Canton ( formerly Residences at Classen Curve)

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    we need more of these throughout the city - particularly if the parking with retail storefronts could be under the residences
    It would be nice to start seeing some density in the Asian District. No reason why we couldn't have mid-rise housing and hotel development there, with additional retail on the ground floor facing Classen.

Surprised we haven't seen that already.

The Asian District is seriously lacking pedestrian activation right now and it could be a pretty simple fix from a planning perspective.

Blog Entries

there was that one apartment thing that was going in next to golden phoenix but I don't think that's still happening?

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    there was that one apartment thing that was going in next to golden phoenix but I don't think that's still happening?
    Yes.

New Saigon.

Thread Information