Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Vonlane Luxe Bus Service

1. Default Re: Vonlane Luxe Bus Service

Quote Originally Posted by CloudDeckMedia View Post
    Vonlane was founded in 2014.
    But they are new here....wont last here.

Default Re: Vonlane Luxe Bus Service

I rode this yesterday, OKC-Dallas-OKC. It’s a true luxury transport option, very comfortable, convenient and within five minutes of scheduled arrival both ways. It was five minutes from the Sheraton parking garage to the bus (compared with 1-2 hours recommended before airline departure). A cabin attendant provides no-cost drinks, snacks & lunch (I had a chicken Caesar salad) and alcohol is available at a charge. The bathroom was larger than what you’ll find in most airplanes. The experience is more like a large private jet than airline first class. The bus felt brand-new. Sound was 80-85 dB according to an app I use, and the ride was comfortable (I-35 is smoother in OK than TX). At your seat is a drink holder, AC outlet, USB port, audio jack & controls for the A/V system with overhead TV screens. Also overhead is a reading light & air vent. Windows have see-through shades. The 22 seats are comfortable with deep recline, foot rests & tray tables, and four seats are in a “club seating” configuration around a small conference table, excellent for reading & work. The economics favor one person traveling alone (two or more would be better sharing driving expenses), or a small team wanting to spread out & work during the drive.

^

Thanks very much for the review.

When you were dropped in Dallas, how did you get from there to where you wanted to go?

also is the cost 99 bucks one way or 99 for the round trip??

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    also is the cost 99 bucks one way or 99 for the round trip??
    It's $99 each way. Compared to the cost of car travel (using the 2020 IRS reimbursement rate of $0.575/mile), your car would cost $116.15 for that trip, versus $99.00 for Vonlane. YMMV.

Pete, I never left the Doubletree. I took an armload of reading, research and other work.

Quote Originally Posted by CloudDeckMedia View Post
    It's $99 each way. Compared to the cost of car travel (using the 2020 IRS reimbursement rate of $0.575/mile), your car would cost $116.15 for that trip, versus $99.00 for Vonlane. YMMV.
    this seems to make driving a no brainer if you are paying for the travel and can deduct the milage ..

actually gas cost to drive (at 20mpg) is around 42 dollars round trip with a write off of 232.3

not sure this is competive unless someone else is paying for it

7. Default Re: Vonlane Luxe Bus Service

this seems to make driving a no brainer if you are paying for the travel and can deduct the milage ..

actually gas cost to drive (at 20mpg) is around 42 dollars round trip with a write off of 232.3

Unfortunately those are my thoughts exactly.

This is great for those without cars and the elderly. Otherwise I consider it too expensive. Also why I'd never consider a plane or train just to get to DFW.

I work with people who bill by the hour and this would absolutely be the way to go. You can work all the down and all the way back.

Why not a train? It's $30 Amtrak from Fort Worth to OKC. That's what I do. My only complaint with Amtrak is that it's only once a day. Even two times a day would make a big difference. But it's super comfortable with big chairs, outlets, food, and drinks.

10. Default Re: Vonlane Luxe Bus Service

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    Why not a train? It's $30 Amtrak from Fort Worth to OKC. That's what I do. My only complaint with Amtrak is that it's only once a day. Even two times a day would make a big difference. But it's super comfortable with big chairs, outlets, food, and drinks.
    Well, I've gotta get back, so, actually $62. I'm always going to be traveling with at least my wife = $124. I wanna come and go on my own schedule. Then I've gotta pay for transportation once I get there and I'm not going to arrive at where I actually want to end up.

Makes more sense to drive.

I wish Amtrak Heartland Flyer would upgrade to Acela trains. I haven’t rode on one but I have seen pictures and they look amazing. I think California is getting some, IIRC. I’m not sure which route.

A full service bar would be so awesome. I ride Heartland Flyer at least 6-7 times a year. Good train but it needs to be upgraded at least.

I feel like there is absolutely no chance this is going to have enough demand @ $99 one-way to last for long.

The advantage I can see if you are on business is you could get on the bus and work for the 3.5 hour drive. While if you were driving yourself, no working at all. On a plane you might get 20 minutes in the airport and 20 minutes in flight.

I know some people who take uber/lyft from OKC to Dallas. There is a market for this transportation, it just may not be you. A friend has a bf in DFW and she normally takes the train back to OKC on Sundays. This may be a more convenient option for her.

Quote Originally Posted by OkiePoke View Post
    There is a market for this transportation, it just may not be you.
    THIS! Why are people so quick to diminish this service verbally? I've heard of other Dallas-based people that love it, especially for trips to Houston. I don't think I'll end up using it, but that's because I always make the trip to DFW area with my wife and 3 kids in tow. I hate driving I-35.

It looks like the bus service will resume September 2nd:

https://vonlane.com/

I’m excited for this. I’ll ditch Amtrak as soon as this service starts back up.

Vonlane is also doing a special for the game. I got an email from them so not sure if it’s exclusive only to their email recipients.

Did this service quit running to OKC?

I am trying to find a way to OKC in a couple weeks. I don't own a car. On the day I need to leave, Amtrak leaves too late. There don't seem to be any other ways to get to OKC from DFW without a car. Vonlane doesn't show OKC as an option anymore and Greyhound takes 14 hours because it goes to Tulsa first. Any other options anyone knows about?

Blog Entries

wow that greyhound goes to Tulsa first

I've heard of folks ubering to OKC for less than plane fare, but that was prepandemic

I've also looked into a flight from either DFW airport (it's over $200 and then I'd have to Uber so costs would end up around $250) or a rental car (about $200 with costs). Pretty embarrassing state of transportation for this region that THE only reasonably priced option from DFW to OKC is an Amtrak that arrives at 9:30pm.

Blog Entries

Hopefully that will be better-ish soon-ish with 3x the trains on that route.

That's unfortunate. Last October I took the train to Ft Worth for a weekend and realized I needed to be back in OKC earlier than 9:30 PM, so I took a Vonlane back and it was a pretty decent experience. I know they were having staffing issues back then (they didn't have anyone but the driver - he stopped at one point and handed out sandwiches). Maybe this will return at some point.

23. Default Re: Vonlane Luxe Bus Service

i just checked Greyhound and there is no Tulsa stop on the DAL-OKC route, it just stops at Ardmore.

Dal 6:55am (Denton 7:45) -> Ardmore 9:20 -> (Norman 10:55) OKC 11:25am
    DAL 7:05pm (Lewisville 7:35, Denton 8:05, Gainsville 8:45) -> Ardmore 9:30 (Pauls Valley 10:35) -> (Norman 11:25) OKC 11:55pm

Does seem weird to take almost 2 hours form Denton to Ardmore in the morning but there is no Tulsa and wouldn't be enough time to go there then come backward. ...
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

24. Default Re: Vonlane Luxe Bus Service

looks like no more Vonlane

Howard Huckabee (Vonlane)Jun 6, 2022, 18:18 CDT
    Hello Hot Rod,
    The OKC route was discotinued due to low interest. We do not plan to reinstate this route at this time. Thank you for your interest in Vonlane.
    Regards,
    Howard Huckabee
    Vonlane

844.VONLANE (844.866.5263)
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Did this service quit running to OKC?

I am trying to find a way to OKC in a couple weeks. I don't own a car. On the day I need to leave, Amtrak leaves too late. There don't seem to be any other ways to get to OKC from DFW without a car. Vonlane doesn't show OKC as an option anymore and Greyhound takes 14 hours because it goes to Tulsa first. Any other options anyone knows about?
    For some reason, when I used the Greyhound app I was able to find reasonable trips from DFW to OKC. No clue why I wasn't seeing the same options on their website. Anyway, Greyhound for the win! Just wanted to update.

Thread Information