Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Tesla (previously Volvo dealership)

Default Re: Tesla (previously Volvo dealership)

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Not me. I think the overhead cantilever and wires are ugly as sh!t. The streetcar was one of dumbest investments this city has ever made. I have that same beef with the with the images I see of the new LAX-Inglewood LRT(Crenshaw line) route. I'm sure many feel the same with freeways. But alas, the overhead wires need to be buried but I am sure Dob will quickly respond to say why it can't be done for the 1000th time.
    I recall Larry Nichols agrees with you regarding the streetcar lines. Again, as I recall, he hated the overhead lines in front of his building and made the city find the battery hybrid set up. Which is why there are overhead streetcar wires around the Devon tower.

I think Elon Musk would be uncomfortable getting electric lines buried near his service facility before the rest of the area gets theirs done. That is a bad business look.

I have zero issue with burying electric lines. I think it is a great idea and I can afford it myself. I just want everyone to understand how much it will cost them as ratepayers.

Blog Entries

Tesla may have more in store for OKC...

Let's not forget Tulsa; they wanted Tesla, they would be happy with anything Tesla would build in T-town.

As for the power wires and over head lines, they aren't attractive.

The streetcar needs to be a free ride until the ridership is built up; then you can go back to a modest fee. The only venue that's eating OKC's lunch and brunch is the Riversport Rapids facility.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    rover, there's a difference between streetcar/tram wires and power/utility lines. IMO, utility lines are messy and multi-level; lines for power, lines for phone, lines for cable/broadband, so forth - and the poles are often random, with transformers and other entities that just look cluttered. Tram CAT lines on the other hand, are orderly, in the street (as opposed to the side/sidewalk), use shorter poles that often have some design element to them, that are consistent. Also with our system we dont even have CAT wires everywhere since the trains run on battery.

BIG difference in my opinion, go take a look at a street with lots of powerlines randomly down the road vs. N Broadway with the CAT wires (if you can exclude the power lines in your mind). BIG difference.

Even the pic of Tesla above shows a difference in the two. ..
    I see. The new neat designed streetcar wires create the cool gritty urban atmosphere, but the actual wires that would be in a gritty urban area aren’t gritty and cool. Glad to know the difference.

Blog Entries

Not me. I think the overhead cantilever and wires are ugly as sh!t. The streetcar was one of dumbest investments this city has ever made. I have that same beef with the with the images I see of the new LAX-Inglewood LRT(Crenshaw line) route. I'm sure many feel the same with freeways. But alas, the overhead wires need to be buried but I am sure Dob will quickly respond to say why it can't be done for the 1000th time.
    Yeah, You better respond again to catch up with Dob. I think you are only at 998. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Yeah, You better respond again to catch up with Dob. I think you are only at 998. Lol
    That’s all? Haha I’ve been slacking lately then

We have been talking about the future of alternative fuel vehicles vs. internal combustion...

I was listening to a podcast with the CEO of GM and it mentioned their market cap vs. Tesla; and so I looked it up:

Tesla: $783 billion
    GM; $72 billion
    Ford: $39 billion

What's worse is that both GM and Ford rely almost exclusively on gas-guzzling trucks and SUVs.

I love cars more than anyone but every single carmaker (including GM and Ford) are making a huge push into EV's. And they are well behind VW/Porsche/Audi, Toyota and pretty much ever other carmaker not based in the U.S.

There has been a pivot point where most auto makers are putting almost all their future bets on EV's, even though they currently account for only 2% of all auto sales.

The switch to EV's will be much faster than almost everywhere other than here, as very few other countries have oil and gas as a major industry.

This all reminds me of how American manufactures were incredibly slow to adapt when the Japanese started making great cars, and by the time all the protectionist tariffs and limits were mostly dropped. the U.S. companies were pummeled, and their slide has not stopped since.

I'm not ready to jump on the EV bandwagon quite yet, but adoption is getting ready to explode in Europe and elsewhere and of course, we'll be left here defending dying industries (including the ridiculous state laws around car dealerships) before eventually caving in.

You’re also leaving out the insane government policies around the world forcing automakers to switch. Entire world stock of EVs is about 1% compared to other fuel sources. I am buying a Tesla model 3 next month. I am not an EV hater. I am only concerned how ignorant many are when it comes to the impact of EVs and them being so much better than ICE cars. Search of lithium and cobalt mines. The energy grid is already in need of trillions in upgrades just for the US alone— I’m not sure about other countries. Energy storage not just for batteries attached to cars but for homes is going to be needed as using coal and natural gas plants kind of defeats the purpose so if we are to switch to renewables for production, the operate at their lowest output at night when most people are likely to be charging them.

I’m wondering what effects that will have on the grid. Correct me if I’m wrong, but most major repairs to the grid for maintenance happen at night due to the low energy consumption allowing for diversions to shut off parts of the grid or lines that can be worked on.

Again, I’m not trying to say EVs aren’t good or that these problems can’t be overcome. Placing EVs stations around the country should be pretty easy. What happens to the grid and energy production when EVs begin to take up double digit market shares. I’m guessing Biden/Harris has a plan for that. It will be important to address that problem. Maybe someone who knows more about energy production and how the grid works can elaborate.

PS, when the Tesla center opens up, take a test drive if you haven’t. It will blow your mind.

Will the OKC location offer test drives and vehicle deliveries? I'm very interested in the model Y for my wife but have never even sat or ridden in a Tesla. I've read quality is hit or miss and I don't want to travel to take delivery.

Quote Originally Posted by KTB View Post
    Will the OKC location offer test drives and vehicle deliveries? I'm very interested in the model Y for my wife but have never even sat or ridden in a Tesla. I've read quality is hit or miss and I don't want to travel to take delivery.
    I was wondering the same thing. And for that matter, whether they offer delivery in Tulsa already. I am fairly certain they offer test drives up there.

Tulsa offers test drives. I'm unsure of the delivery.

You’re also leaving out the insane government policies around the world forcing automakers to switch. Entire world stock of EVs is about 1% compared to other fuel sources. I am buying a Tesla model 3 next month. I am not an EV hater. I am only concerned how ignorant many are when it comes to the impact of EVs and them being so much better than ICE cars. Search of lithium and cobalt mines. The energy grid is already in need of trillions in upgrades just for the US alone— I’m not sure about other countries. Energy storage not just for batteries attached to cars but for homes is going to be needed as using coal and natural gas plants kind of defeats the purpose so if we are to switch to renewables for production, the operate at their lowest output at night when most people are likely to be charging them.

I’m wondering what effects that will have on the grid. Correct me if I’m wrong, but most major repairs to the grid for maintenance happen at night due to the low energy consumption allowing for diversions to shut off parts of the grid or lines that can be worked on.

Again, I’m not trying to say EVs aren’t good or that these problems can’t be overcome. Placing EVs stations around the country should be pretty easy. What happens to the grid and energy production when EVs begin to take up double digit market shares. I’m guessing Biden/Harris has a plan for that. It will be important to address that problem. Maybe someone who knows more about energy production and how the grid works can elaborate.
    First, I want you to think about all the companies that stand to lose A LOT of money with an EV revolution.

Legacy automakers (GM, Ford, ect..)
    Oil companies
    Dealerships
    OEM parts manufactures

Now, these companies have a lot of power & sway. Once they realized Tesla & EV manufactures were a real threat to their existence, they started funding & publishing studies to try to diminish the difference in pollution between themselves & EVs. Hell, for decades they tried to diminish their own impact on global warming.

I'm sure you've done more research than a typical person would on the environment impact between ICE & EV cars, but I can tell you that I have very little doubt that most of the research you found saying there isn't much of a difference has a money trail back to ICE manufactures or other companies who stand to lose a lot of money.

They definitely aren't perfect, but their carbon footprint is much much smaller.

------

Also to Pete's point on legacy ICE manufactures, at some point they are going to have to decide to commit to developing EV cars which will more than likely be a much tighter margin then their current car sales. So they have to actually commit to cannibalizing their own sales, at a smaller profit. Eventually they can get to the point where they can make the same margins but it's gonna be tough. They have tons & tons of equipment & factoring tooling that is made for ICE manufacturing that will now be obsolete & worthless. retooling their facilities will be a massive cost, and Ford & GM are already carrying a massive amount of debt. It's gonna be tough for them.

PS, when the Tesla center opens up, take a test drive if you haven’t. It will blow your mind.
    They definitely will. A friend of mine in San Antonio has one and he let me drive it when we went down for a visit. I was hooked immediately. My wife got an X and I got the S and they both of autopilot I still have my gas-guzzling Ford truck. The wife won't let you put anything dirty in the back of her X. I am on the list for a Cyber Truck and I'll get the ATV too if the wife approved

Quote Originally Posted by btmec View Post
    They definitely will. A friend of mine in San Antonio has one and he let me drive it when we went down for a visit. I was hooked immediately. My wife got an X and I got the S and they both of autopilot I still have my gas-guzzling Ford truck. The wife won't let you put anything dirty in the back of her X. I am on the list for a Cyber Truck and I'll get the ATV too if the wife approved
    Haha nice! I’m jealous about the Cybertruck. If I make it out here in Hollywood one day that will definitely be on my list. Have you heard any news about when they’ll start delivering them?

The Oklahoma Legislature has entered the chat...
    https://www.okhouse.gov/Media/News_S...px?NewsID=7864
    Let's go ahead and make it more difficult and expensive to buy, charge and have EV's in our oil and gas dependent state. In my mind, the pollution caused by gas vehicles should be taxed far more.
    Also, I should note, this still has to go through committee and then onto each floor and voted upon before it can come close to passing and being applied. There are much more simple and easier ways to raise funds for ODOT projects, but I digress.

^

Like raising gas tax at the pump, which is why Oklahoma has just about the cheapest gasoline prices anywhere.

It's also why our roads and bridges are in terrible shape.

Quote Originally Posted by _Cramer_ View Post
    The Oklahoma Legislature has entered the chat...
    https://www.okhouse.gov/Media/News_S...px?NewsID=7864
    Let's go ahead and make it more difficult and expensive to buy, charge and have EV's in our oil and gas dependent state. In my mind, the pollution caused by gas vehicles should be taxed far more.
    Also, I should note, this still has to go through committee and then onto each floor and voted upon before it can come close to passing and being applied. There are much more simple and easier ways to raise funds for ODOT projects, but I digress.
    this bill is a no brainer based on the way we fund road construction

18. Default Re: Tesla (previously Volvo dealership)

Seems like a fair law to me. They should for sure raise gas prices at the pump to find better roads but Oklahoma is pretty anti tax. I do wonder if all the legislators who said they will never vote to raise taxes consider that EV tax, a tax?

19. Default Re: Tesla (previously Volvo dealership)

Quote Originally Posted by FighttheGoodFight View Post
    Seems like a fair law to me. They should for sure raise gas prices at the pump to find better roads but Oklahoma is pretty anti tax. I do wonder if all the legislators who said they will never vote to raise taxes consider that EV tax, a tax?
    Not really a new tax. It’s the equivalent of finally making Amazon collect and pay sales tax to the States.

Yea, I mean electric cars use the same amount of roads as everyone else. There needs to be some type of mechanism to have them pay for their share of road taxes. I would think a mileage tax would be the easiest/fairest route but I'm not sure how you would be able to collect from out of state drivers doing that.

Quote Originally Posted by FighttheGoodFight View Post
    It will become a "fee." We don't use that nasty "T" word in this state, sir!

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    ^

Like raising gas tax at the pump, which is why Oklahoma has just about the cheapest gasoline prices anywhere.

It's also why our roads and bridges are in terrible shape.
    That last statement is flat wrong regarding bridges. Last year, we rose to 9th in the nation for lowest # of deficient bridges on State and Federal highways.
    https://oklahoma.gov/odot/citizen/ba...s/bridges.html

Our roads aren't at the top but I would argue against the use of "terrible" to describe our State and Federal roads. To me, that implies in the bottom 5 or so.

Looks like you can schedule service appointments starting Feb. 15th, so that appears to be the first day they will be officially open.

Blog Entries

Dang they must have put it into high gear. Last time I rode my bike by there not all that long ago they didn't seem as far along.

Thread Information